Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NeonPunk posted:

Wait he's going to walk? I thought they were gonna at least give him some jail time because he lost rich people's money

he’s still charged with lots of other stuff afaict

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

an actual line from this show:

"Did you take a stupid pill for breakfast?"

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

euphronius posted:

Its just the giving money to politicians stuff that was in fact very legal and very cool

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

wtf

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I miss the carts outside the university hospital. $5/6/7/8 for veg/chicken/beef/lamb. now half of them are completely gone cause of covid and they've doubled in price

Jon Irenicus has issued a correction as of 17:08 on Jul 27, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Love our completely functional justice system.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

That used to be true but within the last 10 years McDonald's has rebranded and reformulated to go after "premium consumers". It's why the interior is all greys and blacks now, to look "classier". Menu prices have been hiked way higher, and they're supposedly using higher quality ingredients (:rolleye:).

They're far from the worst fast food but they're not remotely the value deal they used to be.

Back when I worked in Target the only way I could get lunch (aside from brown bagging sandwiches) was hitting up the McDonald's next door. Even back then (2018) it cost me about $10-12 for a burger, fries, and a drink. I think it's closer to $20+ nowadays.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p-7zED_o62w

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

throwback thursday:

Sam Bankman-Fried, the founder and former CEO of cryptocurrency exchange FTX, made about $40 million in political donations in the 2022 election cycle, according to a CBS News review of Federal Elections Commission (FEC) campaign finance data.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/07/27/biden-student-loans-bidenomics-00107601

quote:

Jared Bernstein, Biden’s top economic adviser, said the administration believes the effects of restarting student loan payments will be “small enough that they shouldn’t be felt in the overall macro economy.” He cited a 0.3 percent drop in annual consumer spending that reduces GDP by 0.2 percent as the “high-end estimate.”

“We’ve looked at this pretty carefully, and we’ve found that the economy — which is manifesting some pretty solid underlying strength and momentum — can handily absorb the restart, especially given the ramp-up that the president put into place,” Bernstein said in an interview.

Those who have student loans are insignificant peons that the ruling class is happy to let twist in the wind. We knew this was their attitude already, but the brazen callousness of it is something to read in print.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has issued a correction as of 17:22 on Jul 27, 2023

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Where is all this student loan money even going? I can't even make out who benefits from restarting payments.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Employers who can force loan holders into lovely, exploitative jobs are probably the ones benefiting most directly.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol oh no, won't someone please show some sympathy for the poor negligent railroad company

I was on a call with their IT trying to install a couple routers for them and my tech walked off to check the fiber in the building and their IT threw the routers into 240V instead of 110V and blew up the routers oh well

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

euphronius posted:

Yeah this just drops the stuff that was causing uncomfortable questions for politicians.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bought a 1/4lb of headcheese at the german butchershop to celebrate decadence but shrinkflation has claimed another victim and these slices are like 100% more gelatin than they used to be. sad that my gross specialty item from a proud 100 year old family business is suffering from bidenomics

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

lol oh no, won't someone please show some sympathy for the poor negligent railroad company

It needs to be even more to even like halfway encourage them to take steps to stop poo poo like this

cost of doing business

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
told them to call their loving sales people to get new routers, like that’s not my job

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

if he were convicted of violating campaign finance laws, all the politicians he donated to would have to return their ill-gotten gains hth

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
[sammy hagar vamping]

i am harry posted:

right now someone is buying a McDonald’s hashbrown and a large coke for $5

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Xaris posted:

well, I'm using the term loosely: not just the roads, or the utilities, or the machinery, or the buildings, but most importantly the people/labor located & trained to utilize it for the production of commodities* (not just a widget but services)

so yes, the roads don't disappear, the machinery doesn't instantly stop working, the land is still there, and the labor doesn't suddenly keel over and die the instant it's not useful. but it's no longer worth the fixed capital investment nor the variable capital of labor to keep it competitive versus exploiting 'new frontiers'. because this is socially/politically a big problem, The State can come in and assume the fixed capital costs itself and/or take on some percentage of the labor costs (i.e. walmart paying workers sub-minimum wage but government gives them EBT to make up for it, special interest tax credits/tax subsidies, requiring % of domestic commodities be used, etc), and this infrastructure can then still be "profitable" but The State has to take on this increasing obligations in response to keeping it running. arguably the worse the rate of profit being extracted, the more obligations The State has to take on. often it just sort of lets it decay until the state's contribution isn't even enough anymore.

the more obligations The State has to take on like this, the worse it is for the system. now the easy answer would be the state to partake in collecting the surplus-labor value that's generated and itself use it to keep all the labor actively employed in production of commodities, but that's politically a no-go. (also importantly, ignoring the limitations to raw resources and increasing costs of raw resources, which is a related but slightly different topic). so it prints and instability keeps rising until something has to give (a crisis). and as much as MMT perverts love to think The State can just print forever and everything will be roses and rainbows, that's only true if backed by genocidal forces such as the US Military and it's various imperialistic apparatchiks which has been losing power despite enormous cost yet those costs cant be cut.

the state doesn’t always take it over. here’s what I’ve seen. the business uses the old equipment (and here I’m thinking of a bulk cargo loading facility) well past full depreciation. The ongoing maintenance cost is far lower than capital costs for a new facility. until ongoing maintenance and labor operation costs are greater than the new capital cost minus the efficiencies of the greater capacity of the new system they just keep chugging along. sometimes for a hundred + years.

where infrastructure is left to rot, (and here I’m thinking of steel in specific cities) it happened because new facilities were significantly more competitive than fully depreciated more labor intense old facilities.

the state doesn’t get involved and didn’t take on costs.

for public infrastructure it’s a different situation and what I would b say is one probably actually has to look at the numbers for ongoing maintenance in each specific instance. we defer lsome extremely important public infrastructure maintenance that is extremely affordable and well within the ability of the state to afford to do. (dredging locks on the Mississippi would be the one I have in my head).

I guess what I’m saying is that I’m not sure the material maintenance case drives the decisions. the ideological / political does.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/07/27/biden-student-loans-bidenomics-00107601

Those who have student loans are insignificant peons that the ruling class is happy to let twist in the wind. We knew this was their attitude already, but the brazen callousness of it is something to read in print.

I'm also manifesting some underlying strength and momentum

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

webcams for christ posted:

if he were convicted of violating campaign finance laws, all the politicians he donated to would have to return their ill-gotten gains hth

Yeah, Sammy boy is still hosed, this just gets all those politicians off the hook

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

triple sulk posted:

if you ever see a cart like this, you must get food from it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRu48PaZmXI

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

long overdue shout-out to Zodium, Xaris, and Bar Ran Dun for your substantive, excellent posts itt :justpost:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Marx Headroom posted:

Where is all this student loan money even going? I can't even make out who benefits from restarting payments.

We do have a lot of securities backed by student loans...

https://www.investopedia.com/articl...0for%20lenders.

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

At some point in time we're going to get court rulings that the only human right that really matters is the right to profit

Didn't Florida try to pass a law like that? Businesses could waive any regulation that hurt profits or something?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Hello. I have another important philosophical question for the day.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4037905&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/TheHackersNews/status/1684552571208212481?t=wcFX230dkiajvm1XxufKfg&s=19

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

triple sulk posted:

that's on every corner in nyc

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

Wait he's going to walk? I thought they were gonna at least give him some jail time because he lost rich people's money

they didn't drop those i think

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

You could make money off the margins of selling huge amounts of volume to cheap consumers, or you could make a higher % return on selling to a smaller group of more expensive consumers. The latter looks *much* better to investors and stockholders even if it's overall less lucrative.
definitely but i'm not actually sure it's overall less lucrative anymore? that was kinda what i was getting at last week is i think the p r e m i u m c o n s u m e r may be the more lucrative venture these days

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

the servicers, and general cruelty i guess

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

In Training posted:

It has been very hard for me to find a sandwich that's less than $10 these days. Very sad.
yeah there's no real cheap sando shops around anymore. i just don't bother. it's amazing how hard it is to find a good sandwich, like the most basic of lunches is something that's constantly hosed up

you could still get a subway for under $10 but it's like $9.5 and made of gristle stale moldy slop

Hockenheim
Oct 20, 2022

by VG

lmfao

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://www.chron.com/business/article/mcdonald-s-franchise-in-louisiana-and-texas-hired-18260859.php

I found the secret to Mcdonald's weird earnings report. :thunk:

i am harry posted:

right now someone is buying a McDonald’s hashbrown and a large coke for $5

This loophole is probably not much longer for the world but I can get a whole box of like 10-20 frozen hashbrown patties for 5 bucks and IIRC probably less than that.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

triple sulk posted:

one place we knew had a buy one get one. Made a lot of meals out of single orders.

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

skooma512 posted:

https://www.chron.com/business/article/mcdonald-s-franchise-in-louisiana-and-texas-hired-18260859.php

I found the secret to Mcdonald's weird earnings report. :thunk:

This loophole is probably not much longer for the world but I can get a whole box of like 10-20 frozen hashbrown patties for 5 bucks and IIRC probably less than that.

The children yearn for the McMines

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

we're gonna get a media blitz about how the poor railroad can't afford to eat a $800m+ loss and the government is going to end up assuming the cost somehow. lol

they almost certainly have a carrier’s liability underwriter that’s going to eat the loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kuroooooodaaaaaaa

https://twitter.com/ericwallerstein/status/1684624729330585601