Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ChairmanMauzer posted:

They really should have made a SG1 X-Com game.

Seriously, what a missed opportunity. And MGM was (and probably still is) issuing all those DMCA takedown requests for Stargate-themed mods because of the games they were developing that ultimately got cancelled, so lame.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I'd like to a game about exploring using the gates from almost nothing, just you are in charge of Alpha site, the gate opens radio transmits "burn all IDCs, foothold" go from there. Want to find other humans as allies? focus on linguistics, want some tech? Build your team and maybe get around to saving Earth if you feel like it. In my head it's looking like the current version of No Man Sky a bit. Take the base building and yeah just take that piece maybe some other pieces end up working well but I still would use it as a solid starting of what works in similar games (and due to the update history you have a ton of examples of what doesn't and why!)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Exogate Initiative is pretty fun, but it's more about base-building than adventures on planets that look a lot like the Pacific Northwest

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

remember that time oneilll got stuck on some planet and teal'c spent like 50 years digging to find him

edit: i might be misremembering and amalgamating like 6 different episodes here

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah he was dating some woman on the other planet and had given up on the whole stargate thing, then teal'c shows up and he's like "sorry honey I gotta go" and we never hear from her again.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Eeyo posted:

Yeah he was dating some woman on the other planet and had given up on the whole stargate thing, then teal'c shows up and he's like "sorry honey I gotta go" and we never hear from her again.

He told her he would visit but I bet he never did. He only had eyes for Carter.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

He used her as an excuse in an episode where he had to go undercover.

Also the episode where she actually featured in was called A Hundred Days, so Teal'c didn't dig that long. I think General Hammond, of Texas, even has dialogue that Teal'c has a window of a few hours before he suffocates.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
How long did all the GG1 main team end up living for with all the time/regenerating/other shenanigans?

They all most of had at least a few extra hundred years lived and remembered add on to their life.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

pixaal posted:

I'd like to a game about exploring using the gates from almost nothing, just you are in charge of Alpha site, the gate opens radio transmits "burn all IDCs, foothold" go from there. Want to find other humans as allies? focus on linguistics, want some tech? Build your team and maybe get around to saving Earth if you feel like it. In my head it's looking like the current version of No Man Sky a bit. Take the base building and yeah just take that piece maybe some other pieces end up working well but I still would use it as a solid starting of what works in similar games (and due to the update history you have a ton of examples of what doesn't and why!)

That sounds good, I’d like to balance sending out teams with random chance of them never returning or involving other countries to get more teams but risk leaks, and maybe a mega bonus if you send a Norwegian team to the Nordic planet. Be cool to have an elite team missing then get an unexpected “open the gate” request and have to gamble if they’re coming back with allies or if their code got compromised. And if you don’t open the gate you never know for sure.

Michaeldim
Jan 29, 2011

:byodood:

dr_rat posted:

How long did all the GG1 main team end up living for with all the time/regenerating/other shenanigans?

They all most of had at least a few extra hundred years lived and remembered add on to their life.

While most of them have died and been brought back a few times (Daniel, more than most) they don't really have a bunch of extra time/lives except in the last episode of SG1 where they trap themselves + general Landry in a time dilation bubble on the Odyssey to save themselves from an Ori ship. They live until old age (Landry dying of it) until Carter finds a way to send them back. Teal'c is sent back to give past SG1 the solution and he retains his memories and age where the others don't. He's older than Bra'tac by the end. This is easy chips though because a Jaffa can still kick rear end at 160+

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

emSparkly posted:

The debut episode was a pretty exciting ride, and I appreciate how it kinda more clearly establishes that the aliens stole culture from the Egyptians and not the other way around. Helps dodge some of the problematic ancient aliens bullshit that rubbed me the wrong way in the movie.

It does feel like a recurring thing that the Goauld seem to have an inordinate fondness for Earth culture beyond the utility of just posing as gods. Like long after contact with Earth has been lost and they could in theory style their feudal domains however they want on other planets, they stick with the Egyptian theme (or whatever culture they're ripping off). Thor and the other Asgard put on the trappings of Norse gods when interacting with people because it made things go smoother than trying to talk to a bunch of Iron Age villagers while looking like Greys, but they drop the facade the second it's not necessary anymore.

Maybe it's part of the whole parasite thing, they barely have any culture of their own and when exposed to some new and novel customs they get addicted to them. It's why every Goauld who spends significant time on Earth in the modern day goes native and immerses themselves in it (Ba'al being the biggest example, but there are a few others)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Michaeldim posted:

While most of them have died and been brought back a few times (Daniel, more than most) they don't really have a bunch of extra time/lives except in the last episode of SG1 where they trap themselves + general Landry in a time dilation bubble on the Odyssey to save themselves from an Ori ship. They live until old age (Landry dying of it) until Carter finds a way to send them back. Teal'c is sent back to give past SG1 the solution and he retains his memories and age where the others don't. He's older than Bra'tac by the end. This is easy chips though because a Jaffa can still kick rear end at 160+

Wasn't the only change Teal'c went through in that just a small white patch in his hair

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Indeed

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

The best Indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt7y9IOfbyU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Remember when they were firefighters?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Asterite34 posted:

It does feel like a recurring thing that the Goauld seem to have an inordinate fondness for Earth culture beyond the utility of just posing as gods. Like long after contact with Earth has been lost and they could in theory style their feudal domains however they want on other planets, they stick with the Egyptian theme (or whatever culture they're ripping off). Thor and the other Asgard put on the trappings of Norse gods when interacting with people because it made things go smoother than trying to talk to a bunch of Iron Age villagers while looking like Greys, but they drop the facade the second it's not necessary anymore.

Maybe it's part of the whole parasite thing, they barely have any culture of their own and when exposed to some new and novel customs they get addicted to them. It's why every Goauld who spends significant time on Earth in the modern day goes native and immerses themselves in it (Ba'al being the biggest example, but there are a few others)

The genetic memory thing probably doesn't help. Ra found a human host and got really into Ancient Egyptian culture (he was probably using an Unas at the time, and they aren't very big on architecture or w/e), and then every new Goa'uld from his bloodline basically started as a Ra-copy with who knows how many hundreds of years of "this is how things are / should be" in their head. Fast forward a few millenia and almost the entirety of Goa'uld culture is Ra-style because he was such a dominant system lord.

It's a shame that (iirc) they didn't go into further detail into what being born with thousands of years of memories does to one's psyche. The Tok'ra existing at all is some sort of a small miracle.
There was that Harcesis thing, but it's not the same. He had the luxury of refusing those memories. I'm thinking more of something from the point of view of a symbiote.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

itry posted:

It's a shame that (iirc) they didn't go into further detail into what being born with thousands of years of memories does to one's psyche. The Tok'ra existing at all is some sort of a small miracle.
There was that Harcesis thing, but it's not the same. He had the luxury of refusing those memories. I'm thinking more of something from the point of view of a symbiote.

This is why I really want a reboot if they pick it back up and not continuing this universe. Let's explore a goa'uld dominated universe in more detail please.

Do allow for cameos using that awesome dimensional stone thing though!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

pixaal posted:

This is why I really want a reboot if they pick it back up and not continuing this universe. Let's explore a goa'uld dominated universe in more detail please.

I think it's dead, Jim :(

Edit: It would be interesting to explore though, for sure.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

With how things are made now it would be a dark, gritty reboot a la SGU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

MakaVillian posted:

With how things are made now it would be a dark, gritty reboot a la SGU

never forget the first episode where they recruit the guy because he was playing the Stargate MMO (which was a real thing but never came out)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

hemale in pain posted:

never forget the first episode where they recruit the guy because he was playing the Stargate MMO (which was a real thing but never came out)

Yeah I believe the watch thread was calling him fat goon, and Rush was Baltar lite.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

that could be me!!!!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think what I dislike most about S9/S10 (besides the universe shrinking to a gaggle of smugglers, one medievalesque set, and Earth) is the almost complete lack of Zats. It's like whoever ran the last two seasons had something against them.
Every memeber of SG-1 should have their rifle plus sidearm, a zat, and the complementary brick of C4 :colbert:

itry fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 9, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

itry posted:

The genetic memory thing probably doesn't help. Ra found a human host and got really into Ancient Egyptian culture (he was probably using an Unas at the time, and they aren't very big on architecture or w/e), and then every new Goa'uld from his bloodline basically started as a Ra-copy with who knows how many hundreds of years of "this is how things are / should be" in their head. Fast forward a few millenia and almost the entirety of Goa'uld culture is Ra-style because he was such a dominant system lord.

Also the use of the Sarcophagus, which will gently caress you up mentally in time.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

itry posted:

I think what I dislike most about S9/S10 (besides the universe shrinking to a gaggle of smugglers, one medievalesque set, and Earth) is the almost complete lack of Zats. It's like whoever ran the last two seasons had something against them.
Every memeber of SG-1 should have their rifle plus sidearm, a zat, and the complementary brick of C4 :colbert:

Shanks loving hated the Zats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGFz3X8PqKM

After seeing this I love looking for people pulling the trigger on it and effects missing it. It's a fun little game.

this should be the full version if you want to listen to the entire thing it's pretty good but an hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36uLLJPa61Y

pixaal fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 9, 2023

itry
Aug 23, 2019

pixaal posted:

Shanks loving hated the Zats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGFz3X8PqKM

After seeing this I love looking for people pulling the trigger on it and effects missing it. It's a fun little game.

lol I remember watching this clip however many years ago. It's still good to have a stun option in your arsenal, w/e form it takes.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

itry posted:

lol I remember watching this clip however many years ago. It's still good to have a stun option in your arsenal, w/e form it takes.

Agreed. I was also thinking why didn't SGC use Jaffa staff weapons more, or a modified form of them. Because certainly they could have got their hands on a lot of them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

pixaal posted:

There was talk of a series using only the movie for continuity

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

redshirt posted:

Agreed. I was also thinking why didn't SGC use Jaffa staff weapons more, or a modified form of them. Because certainly they could have got their hands on a lot of them.

They addressed that as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RslFT2PC8Y

Modified ones would've been interesting though, try to perfect their accuracy.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

redshirt posted:

They go over the staff weapon base multiple times, it's a weapon of terror and actually sucks for killing it's about making burns that fester. Like that episode where they are training the Jaffa with P90s specifically

ef;b clip from same episode as above removed

Modified ones I still have no idea why because yeah you should be able to modify one to be much more deadly their power source lasts hundreds of years.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Insert Jacob/Selmak getting irate about planting a Lockheed Martin sticker on a modified staff weapon here

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

They go over the staff weapon base multiple times, it's a weapon of terror and actually sucks for killing it's about making burns that fester. Like that episode where they are training the Jaffa with P90s specifically

ef;b clip from same episode as above removed

Modified ones I still have no idea why because yeah you should be able to modify one to be much more deadly their power source lasts hundreds of years.

I was thinking more like cannons or other heavy weapons.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, the staffs are obviously very inaccurate. As for why they didn't modify them... I guess the producers/writers decided that laser weapons with inifinte ammo for every person would be too much like Star Trek.

Tunicate posted:

There was talk of a series using only the movie for continuity

So a complete reboot.

It's amazing how little they've done with the Stargate rights since the terrible SGU thing.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

I was thinking more like cannons or other heavy weapons.

Teal'c does merk Tanith with a heavy cannon at the start of 48 hours

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Teal'c does merk Tanith with a heavy cannon at the start of 48 hours

Fuckin' Tannith that son of a bitch.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Insert Jacob/Selmak getting irate about planting a Lockheed Martin sticker on a modified staff weapon here

Speaking of Lockheed Martin, how in the world did they build such huge spacecraft so quickly AND still keep it secret?

I mean, those are aircraft carrier sized constructions right? Would have involved thousands of workers.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

Speaking of Lockheed Martin, how in the world did they build such huge spacecraft so quickly AND still keep it secret?

I mean, those are aircraft carrier sized constructions right? Would have involved thousands of workers.

The US congress is having hearings about UFOs right about now, and the guys testifying aren't exactly widely hailed as heroes in the media.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Man this thread is getting deep, I haven't watched enough SG to even hang. I like sci-fi but I'm not like, addicted to it. :okpos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Overdog posted:

Man this thread is getting deep