Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The flip side of the plutonomy: A palace economy shoveling money to connected or critical business and them buying back their stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
they're not going to do the same thing to twitter are they?:smith:
https://twitter.com/TimCohn/status/1684555961489395713?t=I6ZwgTZGgVnb0MIfZfXTQw&s=19

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pussy Quipped posted:

the company I work for announced like a month ago that they would be “innovating” using AI which is another way of saying they are implementing a support chatbot on the website.

they just sent out an email to employees announcing a new “contest”. they need people to create the question and answer database, so employees can submit to a google form potential questions customers would ask and the answers. employees get 1 point per question and 1 per answer submitted. at the end of august they will announce the winner with the most points and they will receive……a 75$ Amazon gift card.
lol

Welcome to the tip of the idiot spear

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/pjozefak/status/1684565655922839553

to be fair, I did invest in good headphones, a quality mic, an HD webcam, and fast internet over the last three years, but that's because I like nice things and not out of some rat race BS for a dead-eyed tech psycho

Doesn't matter if the camera is cheap if it's off my dude

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Pussy Quipped posted:

the company I work for announced like a month ago that they would be “innovating” using AI which is another way of saying they are implementing a support chatbot on the website.

they just sent out an email to employees announcing a new “contest”. they need people to create the question and answer database, so employees can submit to a google form potential questions customers would ask and the answers. employees get 1 point per question and 1 per answer submitted. at the end of august they will announce the winner with the most points and they will receive……a 75$ Amazon gift card.
lol

those kind of bullshit incentives are more insulting than if there was no prize at all. you had a better return on elementary school fundraisers where it was 100 useless magazine subscriptions for a tub of gak. where do all the gift card raffle people come from

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Cuttlefush posted:

those kind of bullshit incentives are more insulting than if there was no prize at all. you had a better return on elementary school fundraisers where it was 100 useless magazine subscriptions for a tub of gak. where do all the gift card raffle people come from

gift cards are the most commonly printed item by volume in the united states

i think that means something i dunno

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

One time in my work area a box of gasoline/oil mixture burst into flames and someone was able to think fast and grab the fire extinguisher before it spread to anything else, so they bought us a single Donatos hot chicken pizza to split between everyone to reward us for not letting the entire building burn down.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

most of the time i'm screensharing plans and documents that are more important to look at than my goofy face

Do we still have your goofy face off in the corner to do reactions we can mine for thumbnails to the plans and documents though?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

So, reporting in from the world of Reddit Finance. Superstonk has gotten boring; Gamestop had a profitable quarter followed by a miss, but still has tons of money on the books so there's no real sense of entertaining despair there and the insanity is just getting boring. It's just mostly people fellating the CEO like he's Elon Musk and trying to read all kinds of insane bullshit into literally everything he says or does (and desperately believing that any minute now people are going to actually start wanting NFTs). The real joy right now is BBBY; since its delisting the maniacs there have been buying the bankruptcy stock like nobody's business, including getting utterly hostile with brokers when they try to explain to them that "hey this is an astonishingly stupid idea and you know that, right?" "SHUT UP AND GIVE ME $10,000 WORTH OF BBBYQ!" They've been reading tons into financial documents they clearly don't understand; much like the Superstonk guys they think that any moment now the shorts are going to have to close and all the shares they rode down from 20 bucks to 15 cents are going to turn around and moon. They keep posting lists of companies that came out of reorganizations and rebounded, all the while ignoring the vast differences in the various circumstances those companies faced. The fact that the company is actually shutting down all its stores came as a complete shock to the subreddit despite the fact that they've been telling everyone "hey, we're shutting down all our stores" for like months now. The fact people are posting things like "hey maybe a company liquidating literally everything and abandoning all its leases means it's not about to become the most highly valued company in the world" has led many of the stalwarts to conclude the subreddit has been infiltrated and taken over by the vile hedgies spreading disinformation so they're trying to find somewhere else to congregate.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I think the gift card bullshit all came from the policy where it's illegal to give employees money, but it's fine to give gifts that cost up to a certain amount of money, but you know it's soooo hard finding a gift they just take the lazy way and just get a gift card which is not considered 'cash' so they can get around the rule against giving money out

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Mola Yam posted:

so i stopped looking at or posting about reverse repo because no one else seems to care

it increased steadily for a year because ??? (except for a brief reversal at the start of the ukraine war, due to ???), topped out at just over 2 trillion every day (hit this limit because ????), stayed steady at that rate for a solid year, while inflation and then interest rates went nuts, because of factors such as ???? and ???, and now it's finally declined for two months straight, likely due to ???

i swear the last time i even saw someone mention it was like a year ago, and the story then was "hey don't worry about it, means nothing really"

like look at this poo poo in context. sometimes it just does that?? normal and fine. system's healthy.

It declined due to the debt ceiling stuff. The government borrowed a bunch of that excess banking money immediately after the extension.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

One time in my work area a box of gasoline/oil mixture burst into flames and someone was able to think fast and grab the fire extinguisher before it spread to anything else, so they bought us a single Donatos hot chicken pizza to split between everyone to reward us for not letting the entire building burn down.
Was this at a dominos dough making factory?

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Pro-tip: If you wear a turtleneck, I'm going to beat you up because you're a fuckin' nerd, nerd.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
The only way to wear a turtle neck is with a chain, the thinner the better.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

gods food

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NeonPunk posted:

I think the gift card bullshit all came from the policy where it's illegal to give employees money, but it's fine to give gifts that cost up to a certain amount of money, but you know it's soooo hard finding a gift they just take the lazy way and just get a gift card which is not considered 'cash' so they can get around the rule against giving money out

why do you think it’s illegal to give employees money

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

euphronius posted:

they are a time traveler from the 2040s

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

euphronius posted:

that's certainly how most employers behave

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
It's cause of the tax. Most countries there's no tax on gift cards up to a certain amount, but giving straight cash counts as income so gets included under your taxable earnings.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Marenghi posted:

It's cause of the tax. Most countries there's no tax on gift cards up to a certain amount, but giving straight cash counts as income so gets included under your taxable earnings.

nickel-diming poors and letting rich off the hook with at worst a slap on the wrist is democracy, actually

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Walked over to the ice cream stand here last night. Two single-scoop waffle cones were $10.37 plus a $0.50 credit card surcharge. I wonder how many classic American businesses like that are going to be completely nonviable moving forward.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
This most recent endless fast food derail was missing the rice and bean spreadsheets to prove only lazy slobs eat fast food

Do better goons, this is the official economy thread

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Moves to some high income gentrification white flight suburb part of Pittsburgh and is surprised when things cost more there

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

NeonPunk posted:

wtf are you talking about, the last time my company gave me a gift card it showed up listed on my paycheck lol

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Mr Hootington posted:

Moves to some high income gentrification white flight suburb part of Pittsburgh and is surprised when things cost more there

talking about the non-viability of the business when he went out and bought it too lol

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

technically not in the city of pittsburgh, more pittsburgh adjacent

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rectal Death Adept posted:

This most recent endless fast food derail was missing the rice and bean spreadsheets to prove only lazy slobs eat fast food

Do better goons, this is the official economy thread

It's even worse than you describe because there are plenty of fast meal options that include beans or rice, often together. Like burritos, which I pick out randomly because I figure most people know what those are.

Narrowing down diet choices to just specific types of supermarket frozen foods (chicken tendies, bacon) or specific brands of fast food chains (mcdonalds) is well, I guess its a thing that certain people do.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I just hope he worse a mask. 🙏

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

kazmeyer posted:

So, reporting in from the world of Reddit Finance. Superstonk has gotten boring; Gamestop had a profitable quarter followed by a miss, but still has tons of money on the books so there's no real sense of entertaining despair there and the insanity is just getting boring. It's just mostly people fellating the CEO like he's Elon Musk and trying to read all kinds of insane bullshit into literally everything he says or does (and desperately believing that any minute now people are going to actually start wanting NFTs). The real joy right now is BBBY; since its delisting the maniacs there have been buying the bankruptcy stock like nobody's business, including getting utterly hostile with brokers when they try to explain to them that "hey this is an astonishingly stupid idea and you know that, right?" "SHUT UP AND GIVE ME $10,000 WORTH OF BBBYQ!" They've been reading tons into financial documents they clearly don't understand; much like the Superstonk guys they think that any moment now the shorts are going to have to close and all the shares they rode down from 20 bucks to 15 cents are going to turn around and moon. They keep posting lists of companies that came out of reorganizations and rebounded, all the while ignoring the vast differences in the various circumstances those companies faced. The fact that the company is actually shutting down all its stores came as a complete shock to the subreddit despite the fact that they've been telling everyone "hey, we're shutting down all our stores" for like months now. The fact people are posting things like "hey maybe a company liquidating literally everything and abandoning all its leases means it's not about to become the most highly valued company in the world" has led many of the stalwarts to conclude the subreddit has been infiltrated and taken over by the vile hedgies spreading disinformation so they're trying to find somewhere else to congregate.

lmao the internet has hosed up so many people's brains goddamn

Apr 7, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

my white flight high income suburb with a poverty rate of 9.8% and a median personal income of $39K

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again
TheraThanos 2 "Two snaps don't miss."

Apr 7, 2003

cool houses in my low income neighborhood though

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

cool houses in my low income neighborhood though

my white flight high income suburb with a poverty rate of 9.8% and a median personal income of $39K

lol you believe the numbers

Apr 7, 2003

I trust the United States Census Bureau.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Walked over to the ice cream stand here last night. Two single-scoop waffle cones were $10.37 plus a $0.50 credit card surcharge. I wonder how many classic American businesses like that are going to be completely nonviable moving forward.

weird I was just there yesterday and it was a lot less. sounds like some sort of Loathsome Landlord tax, very progressive and cool. good job pukesburg

Apr 7, 2003

Please stop calling me a landlord, it's hurting my feelings

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
meanwhile on #BlackTwitter
https://twitter.com/kyaxcheeks/status/1682393709332004864?t=7KVFNQc105ze2-N7SqcIaA&s=19

https://twitter.com/gucci1017/status/1684784560653934594?t=_77YVe_mO1jxGRxuQ6TkDA&s=19

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://mikekonczal.substack.com/p/inflation-came-down-and-everyone

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I'm down in hellswamp Florida and can still find cheaper fare than fast food. Nicole's cafe has 2 locations here and they sell a massive chili dog or a huge hamburger and fries for 6$ flat. Far more food and higher quality, just have to be able to sit down to eat it.

Local BBQ joints are also great down here, stoney cabin does a 10 dollar all you can eat that's great for a post workout meal.

Maybe it's different in the rest of the country but a lot of people sling pretty cheap slop down here in chudland.

Yeah, there’s a bbq shack here where you can get pulled pork on a bun for like two bucks apiece. Maybe it went up fifty cents or so thanks to Brandonomics. Whenever I visit my hypergentrified hometown back in Commiefornia you can’t get a can of soda for that cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

missed burger king opportunity