Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

shrike82 posted:

Yeah my team calls are voice only, not sure what being on video gets you

post it over my camera :smugdon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

kazmeyer posted:

So, reporting in from the world of Reddit Finance. Superstonk has gotten boring; Gamestop had a profitable quarter followed by a miss, but still has tons of money on the books so there's no real sense of entertaining despair there and the insanity is just getting boring. It's just mostly people fellating the CEO like he's Elon Musk and trying to read all kinds of insane bullshit into literally everything he says or does (and desperately believing that any minute now people are going to actually start wanting NFTs). The real joy right now is BBBY; since its delisting the maniacs there have been buying the bankruptcy stock like nobody's business, including getting utterly hostile with brokers when they try to explain to them that "hey this is an astonishingly stupid idea and you know that, right?" "SHUT UP AND GIVE ME $10,000 WORTH OF BBBYQ!" They've been reading tons into financial documents they clearly don't understand; much like the Superstonk guys they think that any moment now the shorts are going to have to close and all the shares they rode down from 20 bucks to 15 cents are going to turn around and moon. They keep posting lists of companies that came out of reorganizations and rebounded, all the while ignoring the vast differences in the various circumstances those companies faced. The fact that the company is actually shutting down all its stores came as a complete shock to the subreddit despite the fact that they've been telling everyone "hey, we're shutting down all our stores" for like months now. The fact people are posting things like "hey maybe a company liquidating literally everything and abandoning all its leases means it's not about to become the most highly valued company in the world" has led many of the stalwarts to conclude the subreddit has been infiltrated and taken over by the vile hedgies spreading disinformation so they're trying to find somewhere else to congregate.

wouldn't said vile hedges be doing the polar opposite tho?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I read this twice and can't figure out what point he's trying to make.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the neo keynsians have adopted the vibes based forward thinking K variable. Interesting

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

this is the only remaining conversation to have, really. AI is a lock.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Xaris posted:

it's pretty much standard for everyone to be on video at my guvmint job. i like it because i'm very expressive with body language and speak a lot with strictly hand gestures. i dont care if other people are on video or not though but most people are if it's an participative meeting.

if it's a meeting that i'm not actually participating/leading (like a training/town hall or something), i'll keep video off so i can just vape constantly.

What crazy tinpot dictator government do you work for? None of the rank and file use cameras at my gov't job. Maybe a few of the higher ups do so that we can gaze upon their splendor, but... Wait. Are you SES? You have to tell us if you're SES.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the hell is SES?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Walked over to the ice cream stand here last night. Two single-scoop waffle cones were $10.37 plus a $0.50 credit card surcharge. I wonder how many classic American businesses like that are going to be completely nonviable moving forward.

this just shows how nakedly greedy every single business is. an entire gallon of ice cream should be $5.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Actually don't cows just produce milk by existing? And sugar cane grows in the dirt. Ice cream should be free. Maybe bring your own bucket to fill up.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

i am harry posted:

this just shows how nakedly greedy every single business is. an entire gallon of ice cream should be $5.

Especially the "dairy-flavored treat" they sell that's mostly air.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

double nine posted:

the hell is SES?

Senior executives, like center directors or people at HQ

Nobody uses cameras at my work because a. It's loving lame and intrusive and b. early 2020 everyone constantly complained "It's causing the meeting to lag" and no one used it since.

Also a lot of the time people will be in meetings on speaker while doing lab work or something so it makes no sense anyway

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

sullat posted:

What crazy tinpot dictator government do you work for? None of the rank and file use cameras at my gov't job. Maybe a few of the higher ups do so that we can gaze upon their splendor, but... Wait. Are you SES? You have to tell us if you're SES.

Yeah, I was going to say, if I'm not talking, I'm not on video.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

DancingShade posted:

Actually don't cows just produce milk by existing? And sugar cane grows in the dirt. Ice cream should be free. Maybe bring your own bucket to fill up.

it’s so weird to see posters be like “no, no, a gallon of ice cream should cost $15, and the fact that it hasn’t for my entire life up until this very moment is something I’ve thought was wrong for a very long time.”

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

wouldn't said vile hedges be doing the polar opposite tho?

(So, imagine a South Park "THIS IS WHAT REDDITORS ACTUALLY BELIEVE" flashing logo running underneath all this.)

The vile hedgies want everyone to stop buying and holding the stocks they're trying to short into oblivion. The thesis is that the vile hedgies have attacked companies like BBBY and GME by naked shorting -- selling shares they didn't actually own into the market to drive the price down. The rationale is that the penalty for selling someone a share and not delivering it in a timely manner isn't that bad and the SEC does a piss-poor job enforcing the rules against these huge companies, and all the hedge funds have to do is hold out until the company goes under, at which point their obligations to deliver those shares vanish like a fart in the wind. So the theory is that there are millions upon millions of synthetic shares in the market and lots of obligations for the hedge funds to deliver those shares to the people they sold them to, but they can stave off said obligations by paying fees.

The apes combat this by buying shares. Now, when you buy shares at a broker, those can be absolutely synthetic. You're just an entry in a ledger. But if you "direct register" your shares, that's taking named ownership. So the broker has to actually buy a real share that they can then transfer ownership to you via the company's transfer agent. If you direct register a share, that takes it out of the "float," the nebulous cloud of shares that brokers can lend to one another to cover shortfalls and other financial transactions. It can't be synthetic, it has to be real, and it has to be bought and delivered to you.

So the hedgies are selling like crazy, and the apes are buying like crazy. The longer it takes for the company to founder, the more it costs the vile hedgies to maintain their positions. If the stock were to increase in value suddenly, it could be devastating to those who had shorted the stock, especially if they'd over-shorted it to the tune of millions upon millions of shares. Currently, superstonk has most of their hopes pinned on Gamestop becoming the driver of a massive renaissance in NFTs and actually making people want the drat things. They breathlessly post everything positive they can find about NFTs and get furious and call people shills if they point out everybody loving hates NFTs and thinks they're stupid.

Now, the endgame is something that will send the stock to the moon. In the mythos, this is one of two things. If one of the hedge funds can no longer maintain its short positions, it will have to close them. They'll have to buy actual shares and deliver them. This will drive the price up; but since they believe the hedge funds have sold many millions more shares than actually exist, this will result in the hedge funds driving the price to basically infinity since they can't meet their obligations. The other possibility is that the apes will "lock the float," buying every single outstanding share that exists of Gamestop and similarly driving up prices for anyone trying to buy. Once the stock starts to skyrocket, more and more vile hedgies will collapse and eventually one share of Gamestop stock will be valuable enough to buy you a small country somewhere.

So basically, in a nutshell -- the Reddit investors simultaneously think a) the stock market is a completely rigged system where the rich don't have to play by any rules whatsoever and b) somehow they can enforce the rules against the rich people by using math. This requires people to buy and hold the stocks no matter what, and people pointing out "hey maybe BBBY is just garden-variety going out of business instead of playing some elaborate rope-a-dope where they're going to get bought out and turn massively profitable" are vile hedgies or spreading FUD.

With Gamestop, at least there's some rudimentary logic there. (EDIT: Logic in owning the stock, not logic in thinking the stock's going to simultaneously destroy capitalism and make a bunch of mouthbreathers rich. Just to make that clear.) The company posted a profit quarter before last and has a shitload of cash on hand, and it's in no danger of going bankrupt anytime soon. A lot of these dipshits bought BBBY stock after it filed for bankruptcy, and kept buying through all the store closings, layoffs, and all the other clear signs that "hey this company is going the gently caress away." You'll see people that bought BBBY at $20+ cheering when the BBBYQ stock goes from .27 to .30 a share. Moon is right around the corner, the hedgies r fuked.

(Incidentally, if you remember that wonderful BBC show Hustle with Adrian Lester and Robert Vaughn, one of their episodes was basically about this very thing.)

kazmeyer has issued a correction as of 16:37 on Jul 28, 2023

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

jerome did it. capitalism will last for another 1000 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI7sBsBHdCk

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

you can make your own ice cream at home

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

the app formerly known as Twitter still making dreams come true

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Cheesus posted:

I'm not into fast food, but the few times I've had McDonalds in the past two years, the wait is the biggest turn off to me.

I get staffing. I get that its almost certainly never going to get better from here on out.

But convenience was a big selling point I never actually thought about in the past 40 years of occasional patronage. Until now.

If have to wait 30 minutes for a burger, I might as well pay a few bucks more for a sandwich a few miles up the road from a local shop that makes their own bread.

Yeah I'll got McDonald's to get a jug of coffee/unsweetened iced tea occasionally but for $10-12 dollars and a 30 minute wait it feels like you could go to literally anywhere else and have a meal that isn't poison

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The Thunk EP was still the best :thunk:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Woke Mind Virus posted:

you can make your own ice cream at home

I bought an icecream maker and it's paid for itself many times over. just sugar, heavy cream, whole milk, and vanilla extract. You'll have more ice cream than you know what to do with and it tastes heavenly instead of tasting like weird synthetic vanilla. And then you can get wild with it like crushing up cereal or animal crackers for interesting flavors. We dumped hot chocolate mix into a batch once and it came out like a Wendy's frostie.

You can go even old school with it and do it without a machine. https://handletheheat.com/how-to-make-ice-cream-without-a-machine/

poemdexter has issued a correction as of 16:54 on Jul 28, 2023

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

RealityWarCriminal posted:

lol you believe the numbers

Aliens are real, also no recession

–united states (government)

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

kazmeyer posted:

So, reporting in from the world of Reddit Finance. Superstonk has gotten boring; Gamestop had a profitable quarter followed by a miss, but still has tons of money on the books so there's no real sense of entertaining despair there and the insanity is just getting boring. It's just mostly people fellating the CEO like he's Elon Musk and trying to read all kinds of insane bullshit into literally everything he says or does (and desperately believing that any minute now people are going to actually start wanting NFTs). The real joy right now is BBBY; since its delisting the maniacs there have been buying the bankruptcy stock like nobody's business, including getting utterly hostile with brokers when they try to explain to them that "hey this is an astonishingly stupid idea and you know that, right?" "SHUT UP AND GIVE ME $10,000 WORTH OF BBBYQ!" They've been reading tons into financial documents they clearly don't understand; much like the Superstonk guys they think that any moment now the shorts are going to have to close and all the shares they rode down from 20 bucks to 15 cents are going to turn around and moon. They keep posting lists of companies that came out of reorganizations and rebounded, all the while ignoring the vast differences in the various circumstances those companies faced. The fact that the company is actually shutting down all its stores came as a complete shock to the subreddit despite the fact that they've been telling everyone "hey, we're shutting down all our stores" for like months now. The fact people are posting things like "hey maybe a company liquidating literally everything and abandoning all its leases means it's not about to become the most highly valued company in the world" has led many of the stalwarts to conclude the subreddit has been infiltrated and taken over by the vile hedgies spreading disinformation so they're trying to find somewhere else to congregate.

To add to this, they think BBBY is going to reverse merge with an llc called Teddy and they are going to make millions. Their is also a wide array of grifters with little/no position in bbby egging them on. I've been following in the meltdown subredit and the level of delusion on display os quite a sight.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Business Gorillas posted:

Yeah I'll got McDonald's to get a jug of coffee/unsweetened iced tea occasionally but for $10-12 dollars and a 30 minute wait it feels like you could go to literally anywhere else and have a meal that isn't poison

you can get a gallon of iced tea at the grocery store for like three dollars, why mcdonalds? its gonna be the same sysco tea as anywhere else

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I forgot that you used to be able to rent a big 5 gallon container of orange drink or tea from mcdonalds for your event. So many functions with crappy drinks and sugar cookies on folding tables.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I've been saying Guwoppenheimer for like a month so I'm glad to know we're on the same page.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
EU might get a banking crisis

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1684957070053748738

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

err posted:

EU might get a banking crisis

It won't matter, they'll just inject another 3 trillion dollars into the system

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Walked over to the ice cream stand here last night. Two single-scoop waffle cones were $10.37 plus a $0.50 credit card surcharge. I wonder how many classic American businesses like that are going to be completely nonviable moving forward.

Boba tea shops charge like $12 for a drink now. I wonder if that's why those shops are always empty when I walk by.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lacrosse posted:

Boba tea shops charge like $12 for a drink now. I wonder if that's why those shops are always empty when I walk by.

you couldnt pay me to drink these diabeetus beverages

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

you couldnt pay me to drink these diabeetus beverages

More for me

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Lacrosse posted:

There's less boba in em too

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

my white flight high income suburb with a poverty rate of 9.8% and a median personal income of $39K

So you're telling us that you're not a landlord but you are a gentrifier.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

if all this doesn’t inspire most people to at least try making their own [one thing] like pickles or ice cream or soap then gently caress EVERYTHING

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

i am harry posted:

if all this doesn’t inspire most people to at least try making their own [one thing] like pickles or ice cream or soap then gently caress EVERYTHING

Brb getting my own tapioca warmer and plastic lid sealer to make boba tea at home

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

palindrome posted:

Camera meetings require extra time to make sure I'm visually presentable and the background windows don't have too much glare. Have to remind the help to not make noise while cleaning the kitchen, stop the leaf blowers on this side of the manor, don't run the engines on the antique cars, etc.

Huge pain in the rear end, let's just do voice and share technical documents instead of dumb faces, agreed.

Lmfao

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

i am harry posted:

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Car Hater posted:

Brb getting my own tapioca warmer and plastic lid sealer to make boba tea at home

Costco sells a kit

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Weembles posted:

So you're telling us that you're not a landlord but you are a gentrifier.

I'm gentrifying this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

i am harry posted:

The problem is when the stuft that goes into making your ice cream or bread or whatever also costs way too fuckin much