Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MeinPanzer posted:

Yeah, always amazed that poutine isn't more popular here. It's got all the good poo poo that drunk British people love!

I think it's down to how everyone has come up with slicing potatoes into chips, and so everyone also wants to do their own regional thing with them to be different. Cheese! Curry sauce! Mayonnaise! Curds and gravy!

Once a year when I'm in Germany I go to a poutine place called Frittenwerk that does all kinds of things with the theme - Tijuana street fries, BBQ pulled pork, and so on. They used to do some Thai peanut sauce thing that was definitely interesting, but that's off the menu now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Honestly no, it's just a sober statement of the facts, it would be more weird if they felt the need to end the sentence with "NOT THAT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN OK IF SHE'D BEEN GUILTY".

However, yeah it's probably true that whatever Guardian reptile wrote this actually does think like that

This happens a lot though in the media.
The first thing that happens when someone is killed by any sort of authority figure is to try to smear them with some very minor infraction of the law (dodged a fare, stole a few sweeties off the sweetie counter in Woolworths when she was 5 (that was me btw stole the sweeties which were just sitting there, calling me, whispering to me, beckoning me, like Scylla and Charybdis) passed a dud £20 note or whatever) as if to say 'it's ok they were killed, they committed a minor offence so deserved to die anyway." because we have summary execution without a trial in this country.
Sometimes.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

He was one of those kids who had the electric mini car and ran over other kids

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/lorrainemking/status/1684919599182061568

:allears:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is that the house in the back there

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Haven't had some Brexitfreude in a while, always makes me :dudsmile: tho

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
the councils who brought the court challenge to ULEZ and just lost this morning have put out a joint statement that while khan now has the legal right to expand it, the uxbridge byelection proves he doesn't have a 'moral right' to do so :psyduck:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Dabir posted:

Is that the house in the back there

This is the one. They paid £13,000, or 6 months London rent for it

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

So the Farage banking farce has now moved on to the KGB guy, who Boris put in the Lords and who owns a newspaper , complaining he is being discriminated against because of banking sanctions against Russia

(Which if you want to Don the Tinfoil could have been Nigel’s plan all along)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Hey guys check out my new petard...

Omg! Oh no!

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Also:

quote:

‘We are at 50% of the quota we had’: boss of UK’s last long-range trawler rues ‘squandered’ Brexit hopes

Among the Kirkella’s majority Brexit-voting crew, the feeling is one of betrayal.
“I voted Brexit, all of us did,”
:lol: x

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
I was a bus driver for a while, and not once did I ever give a poo poo if anyone paid the fare or not. Job was shite, the company made its money from route subsidies and contracts, I was unfireable due to driver shortages and no incentive to do the job well meant I very swiftly adopted a day-to-day attitude of slack jawed apathy. I went one weekend not charging anyone because I'd misread a Christmas promotion, and the rest of the time if any enquiry looked like it was going to take more than 30 seconds I'd go "Eh fuckit it's free on ye get". When collared by the inspector I'd just shrug and go "Write me up then" and hear no more about it. Most of my fellow drivers were the same - the goal was to get through the job unscathed, with a minimum of human interaction, and get back to the depot 10 minutes early so you can avoid the shift manager and get home.

There were a small percentage, though, for whom the culture of constant unhittable KPIs had a maddening effect. Invariably either big beefy hypertensive middle aged guys or really intense skinny former drug addicts, they didn't realise that "good" and "bad" are nonsense words to companies of a certain kidney, and they'd go mental trying to do everything by the [impossible to follow] book. Usually they'd flare out and smack a tween, or go on a foul mouthed tirade at a scummy mummy or sometimes just flat out have a heart attack. More to be pitied than scorned, really.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Skulker posted:

I was a bus driver for a while, and not once did I ever give a poo poo if anyone paid the fare or not. Job was shite, the company made its money from route subsidies and contracts, I was unfireable due to driver shortages and no incentive to do the job well meant I very swiftly adopted a day-to-day attitude of slack jawed apathy. I went one weekend not charging anyone because I'd misread a Christmas promotion, and the rest of the time if any enquiry looked like it was going to take more than 30 seconds I'd go "Eh fuckit it's free on ye get". When collared by the inspector I'd just shrug and go "Write me up then" and hear no more about it. Most of my fellow drivers were the same - the goal was to get through the job unscathed, with a minimum of human interaction, and get back to the depot 10 minutes early so you can avoid the shift manager and get home.

There were a small percentage, though, for whom the culture of constant unhittable KPIs had a maddening effect. Invariably either big beefy hypertensive middle aged guys or really intense skinny former drug addicts, they didn't realise that "good" and "bad" are nonsense words to companies of a certain kidney, and they'd go mental trying to do everything by the [impossible to follow] book. Usually they'd flare out and smack a tween, or go on a foul mouthed tirade at a scummy mummy or sometimes just flat out have a heart attack. More to be pitied than scorned, really.

This post really captures something of the essence of Grate Britane. You can sense it

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
"I voted for Brexit and was told it wouldn’t affect expats"
- I voted to keep the foreigners out, but still have free access to their country.

Such deliciousness.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

So much of Brexit is rooted in the delusion that the UK is still somehow a “big player” when in fact it’s a small, grey, gloomy little backwards shithole that smells of piss and chips

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
We still have freedom of movement with EIRE, just move there for six years, gain Irish citizenship and thus free movement within the EU.

Bonus: Six years spending time out of the UK.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 28, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

I would be careful of coming out that door so a car doesn't swipe anybody.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

fuctifino posted:

She should dump that loser bloke. Says she voted against brexit but he voted for it. So he's the one who ruined their chances.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pablo Bluth posted:

We still have freedom of movement with EIRE, just move there for six years, gain Irish citizenship and thus free movement within the EU.

Bonus: Six years spending time out of the UK.

One weird trick. Irish local housing authorities hate it!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I think strictly speaking, you're expected to be remain living there once you gain Citizenship, so you'd probably have to carefully split your time between Ireland and the Med.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pablo Bluth posted:

I think strictly speaking, you're expected to be remain living there once you gain Citizenship, so you'd probably have to carefully split your time between Ireland and the Med.

This isn't true of any other country, so I'm not sure why it would be true of Ireland. Once you have citizenship, you have citizenship and can do whatever the gently caress you like with it including moving away.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/stuzi_pants/status/1684958349358497792

https://twitter.com/MirrorPolitics/status/1684966944686972939

quote:

Mr Hancock objected to being described as "a failed health secretary and cheating husband who broke the lockdown rules he wrote, doubled down on the lies he told, helped enrich his mates via the infamous VIP PPE lane".

:allears:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Miftan posted:

This isn't true of any other country, so I'm not sure why it would be true of Ireland. Once you have citizenship, you have citizenship and can do whatever the gently caress you like with it including moving away.
I just googled before posting to make sure I wasn't talking rubbish:
https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving-country/irish-citizenship/becoming-an-irish-citizen-through-naturalisation/

quote:

Future intentions

You must intend in good faith to continue to reside in the State after naturalisation. If your application is successful and you move away from Ireland you should complete Form 5 (pdf), which states your intention to keep your Irish citizenship while you are temporarily living aboard.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

That is pretty strange, but looking into it you can move away for up to 7 years easily. Past 7 years you just have to fill in a form annually otherwise the justice minister can, in theory, revoke your citizenship. I don't know how often that actually happens.

https://www.irishimmigration.ie/how-to-become-a-citizen/intention-to-retain-irish-citizenship/

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I think you at least need to be able to tell the immigration offer scrutinising the application you're not just using Ireland to date France, and I'm no good at lying to authority.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Skulker posted:

a scummy mummy

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/societyguardian/status/1684985707293728768?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Absolute psycho party.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

quote:

Wes Streeting apologises to Labour MP who felt ostracised due to gender views

Rosie Duffield had been shouted down in Commons by party colleagues earlier this year for opposing Scottish transgender reforms.

Streeting spoke about the reaction of many women in the Labour party, including MPs, to his comments in a BBC Radio 4 interview in which he had urged trans rights campaigners not to try to “shut down” the author JK Rowling.
x
:qq:

Labour is such dogshit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Will they also call on the conservatives to apologize to Andrew Bridgen for being shouted down just for spouting bollocks?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*sitting like The Thinker for 452 minutes straight* Crash Randycoot

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Big coked up Gove on his morning run energy

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

disgusting pieces of poo poo

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I know I said I was gonna do a positive post but what's in my heart is a [redacted] post

I could even swear a few weeks back either here or on apartheid clyde's place, around the time labour last had a swing at LGBTQ+ folks, that the next step would be apologies to the terfs like duffield and rowling and somehow I still read it as satire

none of that left in this world

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Man, you read poo poo like this & you've got to say that the Remain campaign did an absolutely loving dogshit job of communicate the benefits of being in the EU in a way that people actually understood. Granted, people like this are thick as poo poo but that's hardly a surprise to people, it's not a sudden revelation that a lot of voters barely remember to breathe.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Are you telling me the that the country that keeps voting for the loving Tories might be ignorant as pigshit?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the benefits were really simple, things don't actively get worse in every single way as fast as possible. It's just the brexit brigade were all voting for their own individual hopes and dreams that had no bearing on reality and if you tried to tell them this they would just scream at you or say you're talking britain down and trying to make them afraid.

It's like trying to sell people on the benefits of not standing on a railway line if they believe there's a magic genie who lives under the points and also trains are a made up lie by liberals.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
So im an american and I peek in this thread from time to time for my Britain news because I'm half British (mom is Scots/English) but it only reinforces my massive stack of biases I've held since the late 90s that Britain (mostly because of England) is a depressing mess where labor is long crushed, the surveillance state is asbsolute and a mix of horrid transphobes, pedophiles, jingos, bankers and finance mooks have the wheels of power and would rather the ship sink than do anything to help normal people. As a gay dude with a Trans husband with a largely queer found family it is really hard to motivate myself to want to visit my blood relatives still living in Newcastle and Grimsby.

Is anything good going on out there in my partial homeland anymore? Everything i read is astoundingly bleak and it just makes me sad to see Britain just completely go under after Brexit. Like I could go off for hours on minute details that bother me but I need at least some sell to my native American transmasc husband to go visit what we currently call the "children of men transphobe prison island".

Gotta be something, I miss my cousins and I don't think Britain having a superior handpie culture is enough of a sell for my mans.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Miftan posted:

That is pretty strange, but looking into it you can move away for up to 7 years easily. Past 7 years you just have to fill in a form annually otherwise the justice minister can, in theory, revoke your citizenship. I don't know how often that actually happens.

https://www.irishimmigration.ie/how-to-become-a-citizen/intention-to-retain-irish-citizenship/

On this note it is actually a bit difficult and might be impossible if you don't have the documentation to back it up. When I came back from Canada after a few years I had to prove I was an Irish citizen through physical documentation and communication which was a little difficult since most of those years were me being a teenager. Had to dig up payslips and call around schools to prove that I had existed (despite the state absolutely having all this information on hand).

In my experience, it's pretty daunting having to dig up this stuff knowing the penalty is (potentially) being stateless. I can't imagine the difficulties non-white Irish have with the whole process.

gently caress that couple though.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
brexit means brexit suckers! i rev up my withdrawal agreement and create a huge cloud of red tape. when the tape dissipates im lying completely dead on the pavement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

So im an american and I peek in this thread from time to time for my Britain news because I'm half British (mom is Scots/English) but it only reinforces my massive stack of biases I've held since the late 90s that Britain (mostly because of England) is a depressing mess where labor is long crushed, the surveillance state is asbsolute and a mix of horrid transphobes, pedophiles, jingos, bankers and finance mooks have the wheels of power and would rather the ship sink than do anything to help normal people. As a gay dude with a Trans husband with a largely queer found family it is really hard to motivate myself to want to visit my blood relatives still living in Newcastle and Grimsby.

Is anything good going on out there in my partial homeland anymore? Everything i read is astoundingly bleak and it just makes me sad to see Britain just completely go under after Brexit. Like I could go off for hours on minute details that bother me but I need at least some sell to my native American transmasc husband to go visit what we currently call the "children of men transphobe prison island".

Gotta be something, I miss my cousins and I don't think Britain having a superior handpie culture is enough of a sell for my mans.

If you're a citizen then the NHS is still probably better than US healthcare, it's hard to get access to for a lot of stuff but you don't have to pay anything for it.

Cops are less likely to gun you down in the street.

Children aren't going to get murdered by a gun toting lunatic.

Other than that, no it's pretty bad in a lot of ways. Mostly the US just seems drastically worse in a few specific ones.

I would suggest though that most of the things wrong with it aren't strictly brexit related, they were bad beforehand and actively getting worse, brexit just hosed the economy up a bunch but the government was trying to do that consistently beforehand anyway.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 28, 2023