Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

JT Jag posted:

I feel like the most natural time for this to happen would be when the Trailblazer was investigating the Disciples of Abundance on their own, before the Arbor bloomed?

Makes sense, though of course parsing the continuity of the Disciples quests is a bit problematic with how they separated them out. But I agree it makes sense to have happened before the big tree blooming if we operate under the assumption that Phantylia was the cause of that happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm the same way. The honeymoon period is ending and people will start dropping off, but this slow boring grind is what I'm here for, baby!

I basically like doing this with a single game at a time. I don't know how non-mobile people deal with it.

I actually wonder if that's where some of the dissatisfaction comes from - there's no way I'd play any of these games if I had to play them on PC (since if I'm playing a game on PC, I'll usually just play "an actual game"). Most of my engagement with the game is on mobile, outside of the big story patches which I'll switch to PC for.

Arknights is probably mechanically the best and most interesting gacha game I've played, but its style of storytelling is more exhausting to deal with (also the font is uncomfortably small). I think that Star Rail's general style of writing is the most enjoyable (and has the least unnecessary verbosity), even if the actual plot itself has been kinda mixed. I hope the plot picks up, because I actually really like the setting, and when this was first released I was hoping that its format would allow for more frequent story updates in exchange for lacking Genshin's big explorable areas, but so far that hasn't really happened.

For a while I was doing both Genshin and Arknights regularly, but that got to be a bit much. Now I'm only doing this regularly. I'll probably hop back into Genshin when the new region is released.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Having an odd issue with Simulated Universe; I started one of the new-to-me difficulty levels (having recently hit TB65), whiffed the opening blessings pulls, and decided to be cheesy and quit/restart (meaning, full-on "finalize and quit", not "save for later").

Except now, no matter how I start a new SU run (same/different world, difficulty level, starting team, quit out of SU, quit the app entirely, etc etc) I no longer get the initial blessing/curio/currency screen. Even after an encounter or two!

Is this a known issue? First time I've seen a bug that resisted restarts of the app.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

bitprophet posted:

Except now, no matter how I start a new SU run (same/different world, difficulty level, starting team, quit out of SU, quit the app entirely, etc etc) I no longer get the initial blessing/curio/currency screen. Even after an encounter or two!

Is this a known issue? First time I've seen a bug that resisted restarts of the app.

this happened to me and i'm thinking it might just be how the bonus is designed.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

bitprophet posted:

Having an odd issue with Simulated Universe; I started one of the new-to-me difficulty levels (having recently hit TB65), whiffed the opening blessings pulls, and decided to be cheesy and quit/restart (meaning, full-on "finalize and quit", not "save for later").

clear the first section and move on to the second before quitting. then it'll give you the initial choice.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Izzhov posted:

For anyone else in this thread who is interested in the story (spoilers for 1.2 trailblaze missions):

I've been thinking a lot about when exactly Tingyun could have gotten possessed by Phantylia. I'm fairly convinced that the Tingyun we first meet is in fact the real Tingyun, and she gets possessed at some point during the story itself. Consider how different her attitude is earlier on in the story: she's highly risk averse, and particularly seems loath to comply with Jing Yuan's direct order that she accompany us as we travel the Luofu. This is completely, 100% the reverse of how she behaves right before the big reveal: she won't leave our side even when we specifically and insistently ask her to!

The thing I can't figure out, though, is when exactly the change would have happened. All I can say for sure is that it must have been at some point before we fight the deer, because the Tingyun who's obsessed with the abundance and immortality surely must have been Phantylia. Anyone here have any ideas?

I think this is completely misunderstanding the situation. Tigyun was (most likely killed and) replaced long before we ever set foot on the Luofu. The reason she's so risk averse in the beginning is because she doesn't want the Nameless interfering in her plan to destroy the Luofu through civil war. Remember, one of the very first things she does after meeting us is to try to have us arrested. It's only after the Arbor germinates she stops caring about trying to inhibit us since she's arrogant enough that she probably figures she'll get want she wants eventually at that point anyway.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

New question: is the playable Tingyun the real one or Phantylia

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

it's funny that this thread thinks more about deep story beats than mihoyo does

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I doubt Tingyun is dead, because we haven't gotten a companion mission for her yet.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
That's a good point Tree Reformat, I forgot about that. I should go back and reread the dialogue from those early missions.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I doubt Tingyun is dead, because we haven't gotten a companion mission for her yet.

I also saw it pointed out elsewhere that she's the only playable character (other than Blade?) who never sends you any text messages.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Related, I assume there's no achievement for using Tingyun against Phantylia the way there is using Blade or Swolf against Kafka, Serval against Gepard, or Bronya against Cocolia. Aside from the gimmick secret achievements Mihoyo usually doesn't correlate who you use in a fight with the lore. The canon version will be whoever is there in the cutscenes and dialogue did the fight with you, not whoever you bring to do the fight.

That said my impression is 4* Tingyun is Phantylia hence why no hangout or text messages. We may get another Tingyun down the line if the real one is found alive or something if they want to sell a 5* version.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Izzhov posted:

That's a good point Tree Reformat, I forgot about that. I should go back and reread the dialogue from those early missions.

I also saw it pointed out elsewhere that she's the only playable character (other than Blade?) who never sends you any text messages.

Even more than that Tigyun is never seen or mentioned in any currently released side or event content.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

bitprophet posted:

I've found this as well and I'd bet its a bug. I get it after first fight every time.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It's an intentional anti-cheese measure. I believe you have to either clear all of the first room's enemies or move to the second for it to give you the starting bonus on the next run.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I figured that was an intentional thing to prevent cheesing the opening blessing selection

Efb!

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Valentin posted:

I'm the rare imaginary "puts down the game for months at a time and plays only with free party" player.

I'm another. I powered through story content to the end at launch, dug up little sidequests I'd missed and ran the Sim U treadmill for a bit after that, then... waited for more story, realized it wouldn't be coming for quite some time, and didn't come back until this week. Even then, I was rather alarmed to see how little new story was actually added (plowing through new stuff took maybe two days of play)... but as a Genshin player, I should be used to that by now. Forget it, Jake, it's Hoyo. It updates at its own pace.

Haven't spent a dime yet, and I'm up-to-date on quests. As someone referred to it, I'm not a stage-12-of-Spiral-Abyss kind of player; I want to clear what's reasonably within reach without the extreme minmaxing necessary for what current-endgame content exists.

A lucky pull on return got me Blade, who seems useful. Other 5*s are Bailu (my first), Seele, and a Himeko who arrived during my occasional log-in-to-go-through-the-motions visits. Pretty much everyone I've ever found a use for is at L50 or higher, leaving Arlan and Asta to make goo-goo eyes at each other on the deep bench.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Zeron posted:

It's an intentional anti-cheese measure. I believe you have to either clear all of the first room's enemies or move to the second for it to give you the starting bonus on the next run.

If they didn't want me to cheese, maybe they should try giving me a blessing in my path before I hit the first boss room!

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Aha! (pun not intended, also, drat that was a good side quest) I tried the first battle but didn't think to push ahead to clear the first entire room. Thanks all! Glad to know I'm not crazy (about this anyways).

Game is good, I am slowly building up my new free story Yukong because I have no other source of Imaginary damage. Also she's pretty, and cool, and a good mom.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Selecting a path really should guarantee at least 1 blessing of that path in each of the first 3 rewards so you are guaranteed to unlock the first resonance. After that it can drop to whatever supposed "increased chance" it currently is.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Yea, agree, or to quote from earlier,

Not So Fast posted:

If they didn't want me to cheese, maybe they should try giving me a blessing in my path before I hit the first boss room!
:colbert:

I will be wholly unsurprised if some future QoL patch note mentions "yea so we kinda hosed up the entire concept of path 'affinity' w/r/t blessings rolls, it's been fixed, you should actually feel like your path is being honored now". If it's truly weighting the rolls, it feels incredibly marginal.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tatsuta Age posted:

it's funny that this thread thinks more about deep story beats than mihoyo does

That's true for every conceivable story ever written that gets any sort of popularity, in my experience. Fans!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

silvergoose posted:

That's true for every conceivable story ever written that gets any sort of popularity, in my experience. Fans!

not a venture brother fan then?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

bitprophet posted:

Yea, agree, or to quote from earlier,

:colbert:

I will be wholly unsurprised if some future QoL patch note mentions "yea so we kinda hosed up the entire concept of path 'affinity' w/r/t blessings rolls, it's been fixed, you should actually feel like your path is being honored now". If it's truly weighting the rolls, it feels incredibly marginal.

Honestly I wouldn't mind if they kept the weightings the same, but gave us 1 free reroll per blessing selection by default like the curio gives.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm the same way. The honeymoon period is ending and people will start dropping off, but this slow boring grind is what I'm here for, baby!

Same. Everyone hates the relic grind but that's what I'm here for. Sure 99% of the time it is disappointing, and for the remaining 1% of the time, 99% of your level ups go into the wrong substat, but I have brainworms and I'm here chasing that 0.01% chance.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

We already have precedent in two companion quests where the character doesn't appear (Yanqing's and Luocha's, where we were following their recordings/CCTV footage). I could see Tingyun's being some 'relive her memories' thing, in which they actually show how she got killed off in the end.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

facepalmolive posted:

We already have precedent in two companion quests where the character doesn't appear (Yanqing's and Luocha's, where we were following their recordings/CCTV footage). I could see Tingyun's being some 'relive her memories' thing, in which they actually show how she got killed off in the end.

Yeah but how would she show up on the train then? Maybe they'll ultimately decide some characters don't fit, but if Luocha and Silver Wolf make appearances, I'm not sure where they'll draw the line. I guess we'll see how they deal with Blade and Kafka eventually. Really I'm surprised Blade's companion mission isn't out yet.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Yeah but how would she show up on the train then? Maybe they'll ultimately decide some characters don't fit, but if Luocha and Silver Wolf make appearances, I'm not sure where they'll draw the line. I guess we'll see how they deal with Blade and Kafka eventually. Really I'm surprised Blade's companion mission isn't out yet.

She'll show up as a wubbaboo or fragmentum ghost :iiam:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Pain of Mind posted:

I feel like an anomaly where I do not care about the plot or the characters, I just like turn based gameplay and making number get bigger. I think I saw the thread here, saw free + turn based and gave it a try. If the game cost $0.01 I probably would not have tried it because I am not big on mobile/gacha games and entering my credit card info would be too much work.

Most of the chatter in the Genshin thread was about banners and team building and poo poo so I would usually feel like the anomaly in those cause I kind of got into it for the convoluted dank anime lore poo poo.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

facepalmolive posted:

Same. Everyone hates the relic grind but that's what I'm here for. Sure 99% of the time it is disappointing, and for the remaining 1% of the time, 99% of your level ups go into the wrong substat, but I have brainworms and I'm here chasing that 0.01% chance.

I don't really hate the relic grind. I'm just putting it off until I'm done levels and traces.

quote:

I don't think we've ever met the real Tingyun. Maybe we never will. Hopefully 1.3 will come with a story update to finish her and Jing Yuan.

Kale
May 14, 2010

mycot posted:

Keep in mind there are successful mobages that are, like, barely video games. Star Rail is actually deeper than it needs to be.

The number of apparently trendy ones in Asia where all I ever see are the 50,489,113,314 redundant fanart images of the characters from them and generic copy/paste comments about it every time some PR goes out about them, and where I have to do actual detective work to find out what the gameplay actually even looks like is pretty brutal. Then when I actually finally manage to stumble across an example of the gameplay from them it's almost always immediately evident as to why it rarely ever comes up as a topic....be it either cause it's shovel-ware grade chibified tower defense stuff that does not at all do justice to the splash arts, or that it's just a derivative rhythm game or something like that. Never really had that problem with the Hoyoverse stuff though, usually the gameplay aspects are on full display same as all the set piece production value audio/visual stuff even if compared to say your average $80 console JRPG it's not especially deep.

I am still pretty surprised at how sparse 1.2 kind of ended up being. Supposedly they're planning more stuff for 1.3, but we'll see I suppose. Not like I don't have other poo poo to play or anything like that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Chibified tower defense arknights has like insanely more interesting gameplay than anything Hoyoverse has made, though.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

But what if you don't like action games or tower defense? I wouldn't even give Star Rail a second look if it wasn't a turn based rpg. I wish I could find more like it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

Chibified tower defense arknights has like insanely more interesting gameplay than anything Hoyoverse has made, though.

Let's not get too crazy here.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I don't like tower defense, but I still tried to give arknights a try, unfortunately, it just has way too many enemy types and brain power required to play the game past like chapter 1,with no sorts of easy cheese, so despite liking everything else about the game, I had to drop it

Kale
May 14, 2010

Clarste posted:

Why are you posting in the Honkai Star Rail thread instead of playing Arknights right now then? :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

idk i think theres interesting ideas in arknights and the roguelike mode is cool but the constant introduction of more and more convoluted gimmicks that are impossible to read on a first playthrough of a map kind of sucks

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

And that's 21 stars MoC! :toot:

Level 73 Sushang, everyone else is level 70. Dan Heng has a level 80 Cruising at SI 2, and 6 of the 8 have been ascended. Nothing else has been changed.

gently caress those monkeys on 8! Tedious more than anything.

Oh yeah, my relics are loving trash too. Tomorrow I will have Asta and Welt ascended and then it's on to traces.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 29, 2023

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Endorph posted:

idk i think theres interesting ideas in arknights and the roguelike mode is cool but the constant introduction of more and more convoluted gimmicks that are impossible to read on a first playthrough of a map kind of sucks

this is largely why i stopped playing despite loving the art style and characters, and to a lesser extent the story. i need more than two hands to count how many events i played through but i don't need one to tell you how many i finished because of the inevitable dumb horseshit in the later maps. for all its faults HSR is much easier to wrap your head around and get into and I value that a lot these days.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if it was a normal game getting owned on your first few attempts would be fine but when the event is going away tomorrow and you just wanna finish it its annoying

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
^^ Oh yeah, agreed on the convoluted event content, though. I ended up finding a lot of the event mechanics obnoxious more than anything, and eventually they just started getting exhausting to do.

Meowywitch posted:

I don't like tower defense, but I still tried to give arknights a try, unfortunately, it just has way too many enemy types and brain power required to play the game past like chapter 1,with no sorts of easy cheese, so despite liking everything else about the game, I had to drop it

Fortunately, with a small handful of certain units you can turn off your brain and bludgeon your way through most content! Arknights' strength is that it has interesting-yet-flexible enough design space in its units, that you can have self-imposed challenges (Shiftknights, etc.) and still MacGuyver together a win.

It's not surprising that the units in Star Rail right now are pretty vanilla for the most part, since they want to ease players into the game and start off with a strong foundation. I'd say Qingque is the most unique one so far -- which is a part of why I enjoy using her so much? I think how long I'll be staying with this game entirely depends on how mechanically interesting their future characters ends up being, and whether and how you can combine characters' kits in interesting ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

facepalmolive posted:

Yeah, if anything's going to drive me back into hiding until the next major update, it's that. Like, my Blade _really_ wants more speed, and he really wants 4pc from that one set, but pouring everything into relic farming trying to get the elusive speed boots from that set will be disheartening. As will doing the grind again for the Yukong they just gave me.