Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

that makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

is the superconducter manufacturing process affordable or is it something we'll only see in hospitals, military applications, and as cladding on mega yachts?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Antonymous posted:

is the superconducter manufacturing process affordable or is it something we'll only see in hospitals, military applications, and as cladding on mega yachts?
neither, its fake and not real. data is straight up made up

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

45 minute drivethru wait here for chik-fil-a during the weekday lunch rush and it's packed every day.

I don't think I'd wait 45 minutes for chicken even if it was free

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

These nerds should know by now the superconducting strength of a computer relies solely on how many neon lights and anime babes you put on a rig.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Antonymous posted:

apparently, someone on twitch is synthesizing it currently in their backyard

Xaris posted:

neither, its fake and not real. data is straight up made up

also this

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

when I first heard about it the evidence it was real is that the material is a 'dark grey color' which is consistent with other superconducting materials lol

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

caelxii posted:

I feel out of the loop, wtf are Superconductor startups?

Probably won't matter in a few months so don't bother thinking about it imo

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Xaris posted:

it's not a rule, infact, drive-thru orders are prioritzed but they're on a very limited throughput on how fast drive-thru can move so there's a lot of capacity for dine-in orders to just get whipped up quicker than waiting in a 90 minute line full of ford f950 freedom rancher 9/11 edition trucks and Excursion LTE HDR 4K MAXX SUVs

most FF places were set up with an ideal mix of heavy dine-in rate based on table-space and turnover rates, with a known through-put in the drive-thru of 0.5/minute kinda thing, and that used to be case but americans have gotten lazier so a lot of the kitchen capacity for dine-in aren't being used so it becomes quicker to do that. the way most places handle increased drive-thru demand but stale dine-in demand is just understaff the kitchen/cashiers because it's not needed

what absolutely gets my goat is when I'm at Jimmy Johns getting my lovely sub and I place my order and have to wait 20 minutes for them to finish a large phone or catering order because they only staff enough people to cover one line.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

evidence suggests I just took a superconducting poo poo should I talk to my doctor

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That Nobel Prize rule is dumb

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the nobel prize is liberal wankery they give it to kissinger, obama and liberal dissidents in china. its like time person of the year oh its hitler again ok

sartre was right to decline it

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

what absolutely gets my goat is when I'm at Jimmy Johns getting my lovely sub and I place my order and have to wait 20 minutes for them to finish a large phone or catering order because they only staff enough people to cover one line.

Sounds like there's 0 freaking going on at the fast

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Xaris posted:

it's not a rule, infact, drive-thru orders are prioritzed but they're on a very limited throughput on how fast drive-thru can move so there's a lot of capacity for dine-in orders to just get whipped up quicker than waiting in a 90 minute line full of ford f950 freedom rancher 9/11 edition trucks and Excursion LTE HDR 4K MAXX SUVs

most FF places were set up with an ideal mix of heavy dine-in rate based on table-space and turnover rates, with a known through-put in the drive-thru of 0.5/minute kinda thing, and that used to be case but americans have gotten lazier so a lot of the kitchen capacity for dine-in aren't being used so it becomes quicker to do that. the way most places handle increased drive-thru demand but stale dine-in demand is just understaff the kitchen/cashiers because it's not needed

The new standard for fast food places now is humongous two lane drive thrus that wrap around the building. Both Chik Fil A and Canes did this when they moved in.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

skooma512 posted:

The new standard for fast food places now is humongous two lane drive thrus that wrap around the building. Both Chik Fil A and Canes did this when they moved in.

well yeah if they're newly constructed, that's more ideal for profits. but most existing FF infrastrtucture can't really retrofit to do this so it only works for new suburban sprawl construction

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

all this recollecting of web3.0 and crypto currency and its funny that NFT isn't even a stand out its just kinda lumped in with those things. even my dad was buying NFTs they reached saturation fast

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
cuz it was just another dumb technocratic get-rich-quick-scam scheme like everything else it's not even noteble

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Xaris posted:

it's a bunch of technocratic bullshit flying car popsci garbage for overpaid computer toucher vc dorks

https://twitter.com/alexkaplan0/status/1684044616528453633
see thread
https://twitter.com/alexkaplan0/status/1684044629191151616
of course its all fake and doesn't work but doesn't stop the next crisis of capital to be resolved by technology

lmao

"we have a room temperature superconductor" is almost as believable as "techbros are going to build trains"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Xaris posted:

cuz it was just another dumb technocratic get-rich-quick-scam scheme like everything else it's not even noteble

It was so nakedly a get rich quick scheme. At least with like beanie babies people actually liked the product and then they turned the screws with limited editions and availability. NFTs were being advertised as financial instruments from day one and was completely sus because of that. You're not supposed to hover over the mark hyperventilating going "please make me rich now please make me rich now "

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Wonder whether software engineers will have the same success in pretending to be electrical engineers as they did pretending to be economists and bankers

Backcountry
Jan 16, 2009
I always like the concept of Central Park Hamburgers. Cram 5 employees, a flat grill, a deep fryer and a cooler in a 15' x 10' booth with a drive-thru on each side. Why waste space on dine-in when it's empty 99% of the time

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The nice thing about the superconductor claim is that we'll get absolute verification as to how fake it is in a couple days

A bunch of scientists are already in the process of synthesizing the material to test it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Antonymous posted:

all this recollecting of web3.0 and crypto currency and its funny that NFT isn't even a stand out its just kinda lumped in with those things. even my dad was buying NFTs they reached saturation fast

NFTs were just one of the dozens of entirely useless things that Blockchain evangelists came up with while desperately flailing about for a way to apply the "technology"

the whole cryptocurrency experience is a blur because the only things it has ever proven demonstrably useful for are 1) naked speculation/gambling, 2) money laundering and evasion of currency controls, 3) fraud and ransomware attacks, and you can't really pump VC money on any of those

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

45 minute drivethru wait here for chik-fil-a during the weekday lunch rush and it's packed every day.

it's christofascilicious!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

NFTs were just one of the dozens of entirely useless things that Blockchain evangelists came up with while desperately flailing about for a way to apply the "technology"

the whole cryptocurrency experience is a blur because the only things it has ever proven demonstrably useful for are 1) naked speculation/gambling, 2) money laundering and evasion of currency controls, 3) fraud and ransomware attacks, and you can't really pump VC money on any of those

The saddest thing is how easy it proved regulatory capture is. They got a whole country to declare crypto a national currency and had a bipartisan group of U.S. senators ready to push legislation the crypto industry wrote itself. We were only saved by the very timely collapse of FTX or else Kristen Gillibrand would be like the cryptocurrency czar right now.

It's clearly just unregistered securities but throw a few bucks around and they can make the government call them legit.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

ROKU closed +$22 from yesterday, a jump of 31 percent, its biggest gain in 4 years, bc of its Q2 earnings.

Maybe someday I'll be able to sell mine for a wash at $135 but I'll never stop ruing the day I didn't sell it at $400. :sweatdrop:

edit: my bad, it actually got to almost $475.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they are not securities Because they are not financial assets

it’s like trading baseball cards idk

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

ROKU closed +$22 from yesterday, a jump of 31 percent, its biggest gain in 4 years, bc of its Q2 earnings.

Maybe someday I'll be able to sell mine for a wash at $135 but I'll never stop ruing the day I didn't sell it at $400. :sweatdrop:

edit: my bad, it actually got to almost $475.

today is probably a good time to sell

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
It would be nice to see something cool like a room temp superconductor, but somehow I get the feeling a lot of labs around the world are gonna fail to replicate it. That whole drama around the two papers just tells me someone got greedier than the others, not that it's actually a thing. Can't wait to forget about this in a few days. Or see billionaires live in space or some poo poo while I continue to rot away on this dying planet they left behind.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I recently read about a company that somehow pivoted from Web3.0 crypto smart contract bullshit to AI bullshit without so much as missing a beat and is now being acquired by a SPAC

The Fed rate clearly isn't high enough yet

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
lol i remember when everyone and their grandmother was trying to get in on SPACs! the hot new lootbox for stocks

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

net work error posted:

Sounds like there's 0 freaking going on at the fast

You joke but I grew up in Milwaukee and we've always had JJs and when I was in my drunk 20s the couple of locations we had would be open late and those guys could make and wrap a sub before you finished paying. You had to be ready for them to chuck it at you.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Honestly they got too greedy (but then again I doubt they could produce anything at all of worth if their life depended on it). Most superconductors require helium cooling already and just getting ones that worked well into the nitrogen cooling range would probably be nice (and if they could manage with just water cooling I imagine that'd be basically good as room temperature for most applications).

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

As a life long space enjoyer, the billionaires can have it if they want. It's a bad place to live. Microgravity messes with your body in subtle and not so subtle ways (you're almost guaranteed to ruin your eyesight for starters), you're exposed to more radiation and more powerful forms of it, there is hardly any support infrastructure. If you manage to get a moon base congrats, you're rolling around in regolith that's the equivalent of diatomaceous earth, which we use to kill bloodsucking parasites, that gets everywhere and in everything but especially your lungs, so enjoy your silicosis. On Mars lol, sure you might be able to grow some potatoes but if you need anything it's at best 18 months out, and that if the rocket is ready to go for the window, otherwise it's much longer if not impossible. The ideal base is underground due to radiation.

So people who've probably all grown up rich and are used to the best of everything being on tap will go into an incredibly dangerous and unforgiving place and sign up to do manual labor 7 days a week with no break because if you don't do the work you and everybody there dies. All so you can avoid seeing or helping any poors and die of bespoke artisanal cancers and disorders half blind in a rabbit warren having only nutrient paste to eat for the last 10 years.

Houston: Monarch Base, come in. Monarch Base, come in.
Monarch: For the love of God-
Houston: Monarch say again, what is your status
Monarch: Montresor for the love of God let me out!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
How big a deal is a room-temperature superconductor? All the articles just say vague stuff like "breakthrough". We talking about ending the energy crisis here or, like, computers get a bit faster?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

PostNouveau posted:

How big a deal is a room-temperature superconductor? All the articles just say vague stuff like "breakthrough". We talking about ending the energy crisis here or, like, computers get a bit faster?

it's a 1995 popsci flying car OP

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

speculative article on the costs to northern city infrastructure once they routinely experience 110 degree weather

https://www.curbed.com/2023/07/new-york-infrastructure-climate-hottest-days.html

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

it's a 1995 popsci flying car OP

I don't want a flying car. It sounds much more dangerous than a regular car.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

speculative article on the costs to northern city infrastructure once they routinely experience 110 degree weather

https://www.curbed.com/2023/07/new-york-infrastructure-climate-hottest-days.html

Good thing we're going to save so much money by not doing any of that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

PostNouveau posted:

It'd be about as big a deal as semiconductors were if it was real. But, it's not, apparently