Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
you won't get bankrupt if you get injured but you might die in the waiting room

165 is the number of undamaged villi i have left in my intestines

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

So im an american and I peek in this thread from time to time for my Britain news because I'm half British (mom is Scots/English) but it only reinforces my massive stack of biases I've held since the late 90s that Britain (mostly because of England) is a depressing mess where labor is long crushed, the surveillance state is asbsolute and a mix of horrid transphobes, pedophiles, jingos, bankers and finance mooks have the wheels of power and would rather the ship sink than do anything to help normal people. As a gay dude with a Trans husband with a largely queer found family it is really hard to motivate myself to want to visit my blood relatives still living in Newcastle and Grimsby.

Is anything good going on out there in my partial homeland anymore? Everything i read is astoundingly bleak and it just makes me sad to see Britain just completely go under after Brexit. Like I could go off for hours on minute details that bother me but I need at least some sell to my native American transmasc husband to go visit what we currently call the "children of men transphobe prison island".

Gotta be something, I miss my cousins and I don't think Britain having a superior handpie culture is enough of a sell for my mans.

It's an awful place.... there is no good in the England or welshland or scottishland or north Irishland... only hateful days and nights

The british!!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Britain is pretty poo poo but I'd still rather live here on balance than the US. Give Sunak and Starver time, though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Preferably in HMP Wakefield.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Always grinds my gears there's a prison called Wakefield and neither notable Andrew is in it.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The idea of paying for a transatlantic flight to come to visit Grimsby is quite amusing

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
wrexham will be in the same division as grimsby this season so there's every chance ryan reynolds and rob mcelhenny will do just that

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

DesperateDan posted:

I know I said I was gonna do a positive post but what's in my heart is a [redacted] post

I could even swear a few weeks back either here or on apartheid clyde's place, around the time labour last had a swing at LGBTQ+ folks, that the next step would be apologies to the terfs like duffield and rowling and somehow I still read it as satire

none of that left in this world
i didn't post at the time, because the video was too depressing, but I saw part of a sky interview with the new head of Stonewall last week, and it literally opened verbatim with Beth Rigby saying:

'you'll have seen and heard some of the abusive language from the trans community towards people like jk rowling and those they call terfs? would you like to take this opportunity to send a message to those people to back off?'

not 'activists' or 'people online', but trans people in general, the whole community, being vile and nasty to poor angels who have done nothing wrong, it's loving piss-boiling

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Britain is one of the best countries in the world.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Low bar though innit

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Is anything good going on out there in my partial homeland anymore?

Silverdale is quite nice. It says something about the quality of other things going on that brits draw most of their pleasure from natural landscapes devoid of humans, especially our own kind. It's only a matter of time before we go full Highlander, just so the last Brit can enjoy the view without some other fucker ruining it.
Also the music festival scene is pretty good. Possibly this is me myopically thinking the only US music festivals are SXSW, coachella and the one with the clowns. Are there others?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
the bonzaroo or whatever

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Lollapalooza, burning man, the new orleans jazz one, the warped tour, etc.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Low quality trolling

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Is anything good going on out there in my partial homeland anymore?

Brexit has accelerated the possibility of Irish Reunification, still going to be a long time but every little helps and once the NHS is sold off there will be no point staying. :)

As for Scotland; If the SNP ever gets it's head together they might try to split off as well. :iiam:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

wrexham will be in the same division as grimsby this season so there's every chance ryan reynolds and rob mcelhenny will do just that

I don't think they go to away games.

Although I'm sure Dale Vince is making some calls

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

Low quality trolling
The Brit Earth Society has members all around the country.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Miftan posted:

That is pretty strange, but looking into it you can move away for up to 7 years easily. Past 7 years you just have to fill in a form annually otherwise the justice minister can, in theory, revoke your citizenship. I don't know how often that actually happens.

https://www.irishimmigration.ie/how-to-become-a-citizen/intention-to-retain-irish-citizenship/

I worked in a job for a few months where one of the most common tasks was helping people apply for Naturalisation.
Yes the intention to remain in Ireland following getting citizenship is one of the questions they ask on the form. It's mostly a trap question in that if you say "No" they super scrutinies your application and/or refuse it.

If you say yes and do leave it might have consequences, but even then getting stripped of your citizenship is a long way down the list.

The anmount of times the Minster has done this is low. There is a legal challenge being taken over whether he can do it to someone who was extradited to the US and convicted of terrorism. I doubt they will bust it out for a guy who decides they'd rather live in Italy.

That being said, I firmly believe it should be used on Jacobs Reese Mogg if the rumours about him getting an Irish passport are true. It can be justified on the basis that he took a Knighthood.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 28, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

or just that hes a loving oval office

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

UK naturalisation asks the same thing, but they won't take it away from you if you change your mind after you get it, nor do you have to do anything if moving away (e: you do if you're on leave to remain or settled status though). I think that's more of a thing in Ireland because of ancestry/UK FOM making it lot more common for people to do that.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 28, 2023

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’ve lived in America and the UK, and I’ve been hand-to-mouth just above poverty in both, and I can honestly say that for all it’s faults, I would still rather live in the UK. America is really scarily right wing, and while being poor here is loving awful, being poor in America is a terrifying experience.

I remember when my son fell of a thing in the playground and was limping a bit, and both my wife and I had the same thought which we only guiltily confessed to each other years later: “I hope he’s not hurt, because we can’t afford to go to the doctor”. That’s just wrong.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I mean yeah US healthcare is completely stupid, good thing the Tories keep pushing to bring it here, with Labour just behind.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Even if you move away after a month you could say "Ah yeah at the time I was planning to continue living in Ireland but then [thing happened].

Same as how you get asked on your mortgage application (I think?) if you plan to make any changes to your finances in the next [time period] and you just say no, but if you then have a kid or change jobs or whatever there's bugger all they can do about it because you can just say "whelp, wasn't expecting to get pregnant!" or whatever.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

smellmycheese posted:

Low quality trolling

nah they're right, we've got to be top 200 or so, easy

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I was gonna just respond with the picture of the Keith Chegwin guy naked crowdsurfing in the pub with the guy screaming into his arsehole BUT I figured that would get me a probation so you'll just have to imagine it instead

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
I'm an American who moved to the UK and did the whole citizenship thing and as terrible as the UK is (it's pretty great tbh) I'd never move back to the US. If you're pulling down six figgies in the US, fair enough I guess, you won't really make that money here touching computer, but if you're an average idiot, or worse, self employed, you're pretty hosed in the US if literally anything bad happens. The social safety net is a bear trap.

That said, the Tories sure are trying their damnedest to import the specific brand of terrible American Exceptionalism that is "American ""Health Care""", so I worry about the future, but there's also a lot of neat old stuff here, so who can say on balance if the UK is good or bad.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

I was gonna just respond with the picture of the Keith Chegwin guy naked crowdsurfing in the pub with the guy screaming into his arsehole BUT I figured that would get me a probation so you'll just have to imagine it instead

At least we agree

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Scientastic posted:

I’ve lived in America and the UK, and I’ve been hand-to-mouth just above poverty in both, and I can honestly say that for all it’s faults, I would still rather live in the UK. America is really scarily right wing, and while being poor here is loving awful, being poor in America is a terrifying experience.

I remember when my son fell of a thing in the playground and was limping a bit, and both my wife and I had the same thought which we only guiltily confessed to each other years later: “I hope he’s not hurt, because we can’t afford to go to the doctor”. That’s just wrong.

Honestly I don't think you should feel guilty to think it; it's not that you don't want your son to be treated, it's that you don't want any of you to suffer poverty or starvation over something so trivially treatable in a humane society.

Not to say you won't feel guilty, but honestly society making people feel like that is one of the reasons I wish God were real so that those who profit from making that a fact of life will experience eternal damnation. Or at least adequate punishment in an afterlife.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Increasingly I think of 'best place to live' in terms of which region is gonna be the least hosed by climate change. I don't know if this even slightly possible to calculate yet, but I guess I assume closer to the north or south pole = better?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

The Perfect Element posted:

Increasingly I think of 'best place to live' in terms of which region is gonna be the least hosed by climate change. I don't know if this even slightly possible to calculate yet, but I guess I assume closer to the north or south pole = better?

You can move to Svalbard tomorrow if you like, no visa or citizenship needed. I'm not convinced it's the best place to ride out the next decades but at worst you'll help keep the polar bears from starving.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

You can move to Svalbard tomorrow if you like, no visa or citizenship needed. I'm not convinced it's the best place to ride out the next decades but at worst you'll help keep the polar bears from starving.

starlink makes this viable

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Starlink sucks and there's better, cheaper, options available. Just Google search satellite internet and don't click on the results run by the pedo guy.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Shocking.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jul/28/serious-failings-contributed-to-babys-death-in-12-hour-lone-prison-birth

quote:

Rianna Cleary, who was 18 at the time, gave birth to Aisha alone in Surrey prison cell after officers ignored calls for help

Serious systemic failings contributed to the death of a newborn baby in a cell at Europe’s largest women’s prison, a coroner has concluded.

Rianna Cleary, who was 18 at the time, gave birth to her daughter Aisha alone in her prison cell at HMP Bronzefield, in Surrey, on the night of 26 September 2019. The care-leaver was on remand awaiting sentence after pleading guilty to a robbery charge.

The inquest into the baby’s death heard that Cleary’s calls for help when she was in labour were ignored, she was left alone in her cell for 12 hours and bit through the umbilical cord to cut it.

At 8.07pm on the night of the birth, Cleary used the intercom in her cell to urgently request a nurse or an ambulance. The call was answered by the prison officer Mark Johnson, who did not call for medical help. He is under disciplinary investigation and suspended from prisoner-facing duties.

When she called for help a second time, the call was disconnected in the prison communications room.

“Inquest evidence has shown that as a vulnerable 18-year-old Black woman, narratives around gangs informed the way she was treated in the community and in prison. She was viewed not as someone in need of care and compassion but as a discipline and control problem. Her calls for help went unanswered, and her pain was ignored.”

[/quote]

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

big scary monsters posted:

Some of my colleagues doing the experimental side got to go there to the EISCAT, sadly I was a theoretical modeller so jolly old London for me. Even the one international conference during a PhD-ship which the department would fork out for happened to be in Birmingham in my year. The year before me got Vietnam - I missed out on all the jollies. :qq:

Moving to Svalbard:

https://www.norden.org/en/info-norden/moving-or-travelling-svalbard

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Some of my colleagues doing the experimental side got to go there to the EISCAT, sadly I was a theoretical modeller so jolly old London for me. Even the one international conference during a PhD-ship which the department would fork out for happened to be in Birmingham in my year. The year before me got Vietnam - I missed out on all the jollies. :qq:

Moving to Svalbard:

https://www.norden.org/en/info-norden/moving-or-travelling-svalbard
It sucks to spend more than a couple weeks in polar areas. They're only good to visit, definitely not to live.

Love those sunsets! You don't get that there except around the equinoxes. Also plants.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

cat botherer posted:

Quebecois French is closer to the French spoken back in the 18th century than that spoken in France. It's the French who are wrong :colbert:

The same can be said of American English vs British English.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

(mostly because of England)

This is reductive, and playing into the narrative of the real problem, The Establishment.

There is very little difference, perhaps the width of a page, between the different peoples of the nation. The vast majority of us have ancestors from more than one nation, like your mother.

The differences of the lower orders are played up by the Establishment to keep us from fighting them. Nationalism, racism, historical grievances, you name it. Amply blown out of a trumpet my the media and repeated by a captive audience.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Starlink sucks and there's better, cheaper, options available. Just Google search satellite internet and don't click on the results run by the pedo guy.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. I've set my parents up with a starlink dish and its brilliant, absolutely revolutionised their internet from the 4g they were stuck with before. There was no better deal for comparable speed satellite internet available.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/elsieblundell/status/1685030645339185153?t=NEbQbQV96ZKtuP74GdHqaQ&s=19

The message is poo poo as ever and he's getting worse at standing and smiling somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I miss Kier's 'pointing at things off shot' and 'holding a pint' phase.