Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Glad it's not just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its close enough for the conversation at hand, is what it is

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Anyone have a good recommendation for a deck battery? Preferably something that can output at 45w?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Its close enough for the conversation at hand, is what it is

uhhhhhHH. mmmMMMMmmm. welllllll

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

alexandriao posted:

errr

that's

uhhhhhHH

alexandriao posted:

uhhhhhHH. mmmMMMMmmm. welllllll

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

oh no, the linux dorks are overheating. what did you do?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Hopper posted:

I started the Ascent and....the fan
went wild. First non-pixel grafx game I ran, I think I'll stick withe the indies.
Running the fan that high seems not great for the vent smell. And it's noisy.

If you aren’t running the display at 30/40hz with the TDP dialed down a little bit, do it. It really helps cut down on the fan going full tilt

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

poo poo

Shell script! It's a shell script! It runs...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

It's an easy fix, all you have to do is write a script in your favorite IDE and run it using a special program named Laura which you can install using a simple bash script-- NOTE MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL IT TO THE CORRECT DIRECTORY. Then that script will enable you to run, in a terminal window, a program that installs another program for you which you can move to the desktop using mv and then, whenever a linux dork overheats, you just need to enter the file location into the script!

also you'll need to set up a sudo pw

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
whats sudo pw

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

wizard2 posted:

whats sudo pw

It's basically like setting up a microsoft account

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

jokes posted:

It's an easy fix, all you have to do is write a script in your favorite IDE and run it using a special program named Laura which you can install using a simple bash script-- NOTE MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL IT TO THE CORRECT DIRECTORY. Then that script will enable you to run, in a terminal window, a program that installs another program for you which you can move to the desktop using mv and then, whenever a linux dork overheats, you just need to enter the file location into the script!

also you'll need to set up a sudo pw

And people say Linux is complicated.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

wizard2 posted:

whats sudo pw

nothing, sudo pw u

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Vic posted:

It's basically like setting up a microsoft account

not much whats sudo pw with you? :hehe:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

jokes posted:

nothing, sudo pw u

:hehe:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

jokes posted:

nothing, sudo pw u

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Srsposting for a second:

The way Linux (really, all of *NIX) makes the distinction between scripts and binary executables irrelevant is pretty neat. With scripts the shebang in the first line tells the kernel which program to feed the script into, and with other stuff binfmt_misc uses literal magic to figure out what program to open a file with.

No need for file extensions, and getting file associations wrong is irrelevant. It's simple and it works.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

No need for file extensions, and getting file associations wrong is irrelevant. It's simple and it works.

No need for extensions, just add #!/usr/bin/bash as a first line of the script!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

This requires the game to use the Steam Controller/Input API and almost nobody outside of Valve did that without getting paid by Valve.
Not true, lots of recent games especially AAAs use Steam Input, you just need to run DS4Windows or whatever other input emulator to see, because you will constantly get popups yelling at you to turn off your emulator since it can cause doubled inputs in games that support Steam Input. https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_games_that_support_Steam_Input_API

Also more broadly, it's way more common for games to support mixed input within the past couple years whether or not they're using Steam Input directly. Sometimes they still gently caress up on the UI side but even that is increasingly less common.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

homeless snail posted:

Not true, lots of recent games especially AAAs use Steam Input, you just need to run DS4Windows or whatever other input emulator to see, because you will constantly get popups yelling at you to turn off your emulator since it can cause doubled inputs in games that support Steam Input. https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_games_that_support_Steam_Input_API

Also more broadly, it's way more common for games to support mixed input within the past couple years whether or not they're using Steam Input directly. Sometimes they still gently caress up on the UI side but even that is increasingly less common.

My kingdom for a broad selection of games that just constantly accept m+kb and gamepad so the UI never flickers uncontrollably the moment I invoke mouse movement while also pressing my left stick forward.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I feel like a dumbass. I'm trying to get Diablo 4 going on my steam deck and am following this guide: https://overkill.wtf/how-to-install-the-diablo-iv-beta-on-steam-deck/

I get to step 5. I hit "play" on the launcher installer, it sits on "running" in Steam, but nothing appears and nothing happens.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I feel like a dumbass. I'm trying to get Diablo 4 going on my steam deck and am following this guide: https://overkill.wtf/how-to-install-the-diablo-iv-beta-on-steam-deck/

I get to step 5. I hit "play" on the launcher installer, it sits on "running" in Steam, but nothing appears and nothing happens.

I’m not sure honestly because that’s pretty much the guide I followed and it works fine? Maybe you missed a step in there?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I’m not sure honestly because that’s pretty much the guide I followed and it works fine? Maybe you missed a step in there?

I repeated them just to make sure. I don't know wtf. Maybe I'll turn it off and on again.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I just used Lutris: Press + and type in Battle.net

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vic posted:

I just used Lutris: Press + and type in Battle.net

I don't know what this is but I'm gonna find out!!!!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

CLAM DOWN posted:

I repeated them just to make sure. I don't know wtf. Maybe I'll turn it off and on again.

What proton ge version are you using? There have been some since this guide, maybe it now needs a newer one?

Also, are you launching from Game Mode or still in Desktop? I had to launch it in desktop the first time (and set it fullscreen).

edit: Yeah, folks love Lutris too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Athanatos posted:

Also, are you launching from Game Mode or still in Desktop? I had to launch it in desktop the first time (and set it fullscreen).

Oh yeah this step too.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ahead of the weekend, what are you people playing?

I'm playing:
Remnant 2
Total War: Warhammer 3
Pathfinder: Kingmaker/WOTR
Vampire Survivors

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Athanatos posted:

What proton ge version are you using? There have been some since this guide, maybe it now needs a newer one?

Desktop mode and I was on the default compatibility mode because the guide says "During the beta, it was important to choose GE-Proton 7.51 or Proton Experimental. Follow our guide here to learn how to install GE-Proton. But it seems, it now works without pre-selecting a compatibility layer."

I will try Lutris, that looks useful!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't know what this is but I'm gonna find out!!!!

Lutris is a games launcher for linux that will manage game installs from stores other than steam and integrate them into steam for you, preconfigured to work.

You install it from the app repository.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

CLAM DOWN posted:

Desktop mode and I was on the default compatibility mode because the guide says "During the beta, it was important to choose GE-Proton 7.51 or Proton Experimental. Follow our guide here to learn how to install GE-Proton. But it seems, it now works without pre-selecting a compatibility layer."

I will try Lutris, that looks useful!

I'd try the newest Proton-GE compat since you already did the pre-steps, but yeah, Lutris also works and is nice for things on Epic Games Launcher and the 6000 free games they've given that never get any love.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Athanatos posted:

I'd try the newest Proton-GE compat since you already did the pre-steps, but yeah, Lutris also works and is nice for things on Epic Games Launcher and the 6000 free games they've given that never get any love.

okay that's awesome, I wanted to try the Expanse game on the Epic store actually on my steam deck! Gonna do that after work, thanks gang, teamwork makes the dream work

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Okay gently caress yeah installing Diablo 4 now, Battle.net works flawlessly, Lutris made that so easy. Cheers pals.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

jokes posted:

I'm playing:
Remnant 2
Vampire Survivors

For me, it's mostly GTA Online with my group of 4, who I'm desperately trying to get into L4D2 with me. That game plays beautifully on the deck and I want to get back into it. But they're all "ugh, I totally suck at that game". So? Let's still try to kick zombie rear end, c'mon now.

I must've put in close to 600 hours in L4D2 on 360, but I've only got a bit over 50 hrs on Steam.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

jokes posted:

I'm playing:
Remnant 2
Vampire Survivors

I’m alternating between Persona 3 Portable and Exoprimal.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

jokes posted:

Playing Shadows of Doubt, and while it runs like poo poo sometimes I loving love it, somehow takes me back to Sid Meier's Covert Action for reasons I'm not entirely sure on. Guess the creeping around finding information part.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

jokes posted:

I'm playing:
Remnant 2
Vampire Survivors

How is TW Warhammer 3 on the deck? Does it require a lot of input customization?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Sterf posted:

Playing Shadows of Doubt, and while it runs like poo poo sometimes I loving love it, somehow takes me back to Sid Meier's Covert Action for reasons I'm not entirely sure on. Guess the creeping around finding information part.

I had completely forgotten about that game until just now and it ruled. All the little minigames! i liked the electronics hacking one best.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

jokes posted:

I'm playing:
Remnant 2
Vampire Survivors

Picked up System Shock 2 to play on vacation, but after getting into it I decided to wait until I could focus and put headphones on instead.

So I ended up grabbing the Ninja Saviors and Pocky and Rocky combo pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

priznat posted:

I had completely forgotten about that game until just now and it ruled. All the little minigames! i liked the electronics hacking one best.

I love that game and is one of the few from that time I regularly go back to play. I'd give a million 20 bucks for a remake of that.