Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jokes posted:

Ahead of the weekend, what are you people playing?

Dark Souls (the first one)
JA3 (probably on the desktop)
Shadows of Doubt
the Ghost Trick sequel

can’t wait to play BG3 with my wife on our decks in the back yard next the weekend after next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Diaboooooo 4

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fine! It’s a Linux .bat file

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Replaying Cyberpunk and realizing it’s pretty good at 40 fps is pretty cool.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Love my deck and I love the ally for different reasons but the things that the deck can do at ultra low power are legit nothing short of amazing.

https://youtu.be/FUbKSS6nwOc

They really managed to knock it out of the park at low W and it’s technically impressive.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

PantsBandit posted:

So I ended up grabbing the Ninja Saviors and Pocky and Rocky combo pack.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I haven't even tried Pocky & Rocky yet, but Ninja Saviors still rocks.

I'm also playing a bunch of Judgment. I'm about 10 hours in and still warming up to Takumi. In contrast, I really liked Ichiban from the start of LAD. The drone racing might have something to do with it. I'm still really happy that all the Yakuza games work great on Deck!

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

jokes posted:

Steam claims I've played over 100 hours of Snowrunner in the last month.

That can't be right...but to answer your question, thinkin' bout playing some Snowrunner

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I finally clicked with Ghostrunner and now there's a bunch of different enemies and some fun platforming puzzles I'm over the initial difficulty hump it's getting really fun.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

njsykora posted:

I finally clicked with Ghostrunner and now there's a bunch of different enemies and some fun platforming puzzles I'm over the initial difficulty hump it's getting really fun.

Are you playing it on the steam deck? I loved ghostrunner but I’m not sure if I’d play it on a controller, even with gyro. A small screen would make it harder too since if I remember correctly some enemies and targets are pretty far away from you so they may be hard to see on the deck’s screen.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

jokes posted:

Slowly making my way through Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo, a horror/mystery visual novel with amazing production values which is probably gonna end up my GOTY at this rate.

Other than that, the Deck is an awesome Picross machine with Switch emulation.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Question Mark Mound posted:

I think I’m on to something close.

I set the left track pad to a radial menu with my inputs (I just tested with four d-pad directions for a game but this could be 8 keypad inputs for a rogue like or whatever inputs you need).

Then for each button’s setting, I changed “regular press” to “button chord” and under “settings” within each button set the chord button to R4.

Now in the game, the menu will appear whenever I touch the track pad but clicking it does nothing unless I’m already holding R4 before clicking.

Not quite what you were looking for but it’s at least probably going to stop accidental presses.

Edit: okay somehow I completely misread the post you were responding to that basically just did this exact same solution but with touch release instead of click. I’m an idiot.

it's okay it was worth a shot :negative:

another thing i've tried now (courtesy of a smart friend) was to set the radial menu to instead change action layers and then each action layer has a different input for the same button - switch to the "up" layer and now the button moves up, switch to the "left" layer and now the button moves left

it works perfectly.......... except the steam input crashes if you switch between the layers too fast :shepface: so in the end it doesn't work at all. this is maddeningly frustrating because i'm so close and yet nothing works.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Your Computer posted:

it's okay it was worth a shot :negative:

another thing i've tried now (courtesy of a smart friend) was to set the radial menu to instead change action layers and then each action layer has a different input for the same button - switch to the "up" layer and now the button moves up, switch to the "left" layer and now the button moves left

it works perfectly.......... except the steam input crashes if you switch between the layers too fast :shepface: so in the end it doesn't work at all. this is maddeningly frustrating because i'm so close and yet nothing works.

yup I noticed if you use some functions too quickly one after the other it just stops working entirely

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kefa posted:

Are you playing it on the steam deck? I loved ghostrunner but I’m not sure if I’d play it on a controller, even with gyro. A small screen would make it harder too since if I remember correctly some enemies and targets are pretty far away from you so they may be hard to see on the deck’s screen.

I've been playing both on Deck and main PC, and using a controller on the PC as well.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
I talked an older D&D buddy into buying a deck mainly so he could play Baldurs Gate 3 with us. Someone said in the BG3 thread Larian intends to work on deck optimization sometime after launch. ProtonDB seems a bit mixed on playability in the EA. Can anyone who's played it on deck share their experience? Any reason to believe the experience will change when the full game is released?

Edit: literally minutes after I posted

DourCricket posted:

https://twitter.com/Cromwelp/status/1685281446863265792?s=20

Steam deck might not be verified but at least its looking good for release

ZIGfried fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 29, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I had a very nice radial menu setup (the menus that pop up when you touch the trackpads, allowing you to assign each direction to different keyboard buttons) for Elite Dangerous that just straight up wont work any longer. If you've ever played E:D you know that it requires like 80 buttons to be mapped, and the radial menus are the only thing that will really make that game playable on Deck.

They're still configured correctly, and they actually perform their functions (i.e. when I select a direction on the touchpad it does the thing its supposed to do), but the pop up menus are just gone now.

Any ideas? I've already rebooted

So the issue with this is that steam overlay is disabled. I now have a new problem that steam overlay is disabled on every single game and cannot be turned on, the option is just greyed out.

Is there anything decky can do to break steam overlay or something like that? Or is there anything else to check?

I’d rather not factory reset if I can help it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm not playing much because I need games that I can mute and or have little story. Usually a great machine for putting kids to bed who won't let you leave until they fall asleep. Otherwise I have a hard time getting into long games but can spend stupid hours playing roguelikes that are easier to pick up and put down.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Finished Dave the Diver, highly recommend. It’s a fun exploration / restaurant management / minigame-a-palooza that’s very fun and chill.

Started The Last Spell, which is a roguelite hero based tactical rpg turn based strategy thing. You are defending a circle of mages from hordes of enemies as they attempt to banish magic from the world in fire emblem style combat. So far it’s VERY compelling.

Both run very well on the deck.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I'm trying to finish up Octopath Traveller 2 before BG3 releases. Game is awesome; I love the multiple stories because none of them are super deep or anything but just getting to do them all at once makes it much more compelling even if they don't overlap much. Apparently there is a big ending chapter where it all comes together so looking forward to that, I'm on everyone's Level 45 chapter now which I think will be the last chapter for each story?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

tango alpha delta posted:

Replaying Cyberpunk and realizing it’s pretty good at 40 fps is pretty cool.

I'm kinda looking forward to doing that once the expansion drops.

Though I'm also hoping it goes on decent discount (didn't know about it during the summer sale) because my previous installation was from GoG. Which I kinda don't wanna manually redownload/install on the Deck.

Might also need a bigger SD card.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019

Sterf posted:

Playing Shadows of Doubt, and while it runs like poo poo sometimes I loving love it, somehow takes me back to Sid Meier's Covert Action for reasons I'm not entirely sure on. Guess the creeping around finding information part.

What are some other good games where you have to detect clues as part of the gameplay loop? Ive yet to check this or Obra Dinn out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hammer Bro. posted:

Though I'm also hoping it goes on decent discount (didn't know about it during the summer sale) because my previous installation was from GoG. Which I kinda don't wanna manually redownload/install on the Deck.

It goes 50% off all the time

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Talorat posted:

Started The Last Spell, which is a roguelite hero based tactical rpg turn based strategy thing. You are defending a circle of mages from hordes of enemies as they attempt to banish magic from the world in fire emblem style combat. So far it’s VERY compelling.

The last spell is a tremendously good game, and anyone that likes either tower defense or turn based combat should give it a look. There’s tremendous breadth into how you can equip and spec your heroes, and there’s really no wrong answer. The progressive building of defenses and upgrading your town to equip against each maps final boss scratches all kinds of itches. Plus, the game is officially release, and you’re not dealing with some janky EA release.

Seriously, give The Last Spell a try.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

kneelbeforezog posted:

What are some other good games where you have to detect clues as part of the gameplay loop? Ive yet to check this or Obra Dinn out.

You play Outer Wilds yet??????

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

njsykora posted:

I've been playing both on Deck and main PC, and using a controller on the PC as well.

Do you use gyro for this game or does it have a good controller setup?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

tuyop posted:

You play Outer Wilds yet??????

Don't read or look up anything about Outer Wilds. Just go play it immediately.

It's one of my favorite games of all time, and the only Giant Bomb GOTY pick I've wholeheartedly agreed with.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Stopped by BestBuy to try out the ROG Ally. It’s very impressive, but extremely uncomfortable to hold. The trigger placement isn’t natural and the case is all angles. If I want a case, that pushes the price well over a thousand dollars up here in Canada.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Make sure you don’t confuse outer wilds with outer worlds though because one of them is a good time and the other is a giant bag of poo poo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Outer milds

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Annath posted:

Don't read or look up anything about Outer Wilds. Just go play it immediately.

It's one of my favorite games of all time

Strong agree. It is a literal masterpiece. Even the DLC is phenomenal (it’s practically a stealth sequel to the main game).

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

kneelbeforezog posted:

Well if you haven't checked out Obra Dinn yet, go for that for sure. Everyone's saying Outer Wilds but it's really nothing like that from what I played, didn't get into it. Not a fan of controlling space ships while detectiving, never really understood all the love.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Outer Wilds was the first game I played when I got my Deck a year ago. It was worth it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I feel like there’s only one planet that’s really flight intensive for exploration. Most of the other stuff is on foot.

Super easy to control with a controller IMO though

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
It's significantly easier with a controller, to the point that the devs strongly recommend using one.

Its biggest advantage is that the sticks and triggers allow precise control, rather than the "on or off" that keys allow.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

kneelbeforezog posted:

Case of the Golden Idol and it’s DLC are really drat good. It may seem obtuse at first, but that’s just because it’s not really like anything else.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Frank Zappa?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Outer Wild good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kefa posted:

Do you use gyro for this game or does it have a good controller setup?

I'm just using the default profile, the analog sensitivity is a bit higher than I'd usually use but I've gotten used to it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

I'm just using the default profile, the analog sensitivity is a bit higher than I'd usually use but I've gotten used to it.

why is the default sensitivy so wacky anyway?

i thought i had trouble controlling things with the stick until i went into the settings and saw that it's at like 275% sensitivity by default. turned it down to 100% and it works fine. similarly had to reduce the trackpad sensitivty by a ton and also turn off the ball mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
How do I permanently change the FOV in Fallout New Vegas? :confused: