Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

kazmeyer posted:

The best part of the Expanse is how there's like a zero percent chance we get to a future that optimistic as a species. As grim and lovely as it is, it's Polyanna bullshit compared to where we're actually heading.

The realism would go up a few notches if we swapped out the Baltimore set for Ceres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The dead & shrinking island nations

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I do not understand these blood tech start ups, you have to do some sort of puncture to get the blood in the first place and the puncture itself is usually what patients don't like, not the volume you are drawing. But there's no way around it! Capillary tubes also hurt, and don't give you enough blood to do chemistry tests, ahhhhhh!!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Re: Potential Yellow Truck bankruptcy

A driver at one of the Pennsylvania terminals gives a tour and commentary on the situation
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7260983044633365802

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nikosoft posted:

I do not understand these blood tech start ups, you have to do some sort of puncture to get the blood in the first place and the puncture itself is usually what patients don't like, not the volume you are drawing. But there's no way around it! Capillary tubes also hurt, and don't give you enough blood to do chemistry tests, ahhhhhh!!

the finger prick is 1000x worse than a arm draw in terms of pain too

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Father Wendigo posted:

Texas continues to pioneer ways to get children ready to be a member of the prisoner workforce

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1684629442910408705?t=BIFt5TBVAd6TObUXRbUXWA&s=19

Most schools these days are nothing more that child zoos or daycare centres masquerading as education anyway. May as well lord of flies them.

The strong will survive.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Re: Potential Yellow Truck bankruptcy

A driver at one of the Pennsylvania terminals gives a tour and commentary on the situation
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7260983044633365802

Yellow told my customer to unload full trailers earlier this week. these were full with freight other companies planned for their business.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Most schools these days are nothing more that child zoos or daycare centres masquerading as education anyway. May as well lord of flies them.

The strong will survive.

always have been

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The superconductor thing reminds me of a guy I knew who claimed to have invented a fusion technology that he had patented, but then his website and all of his publications and everything was just how great fusion would be. Like, yeah, sure, agreed. That's not the part anyone is questioning though.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Also the superconductor paper has their input currents in the mA range, maxing out at like 250mA. all the useful superconductors have current saturation limits of hundreds of kA, a million times higher than this one.

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

Stereotype posted:

Also the superconductor paper has their input currents in the mA range, maxing out at like 250mA. all the useful superconductors have current saturation limits of hundreds of kA, a million times higher than this one.

What is this, a superconductor for ants???

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Stereotype posted:

Allegedly a Chinese lab finished their first cook in an attempt to replicate it and replicated a few of the properties but not all (and no demonstrated meissner effect or, as the skeptics say, diamagnetism) and they think they're having a purity issue. Prob will know one way or another by end of next week I'd think as the whole process takes something like 90 hours.

e: for people interested this guy is publicly working on trying to replicate it https://nitter.net/andrewmccalip. FWIW most actual superconductor researchers don't think this is the one, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 02:21 on Jul 29, 2023

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

today is probably a good time to sell

ITS GOING TO THE MOOOOOON

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Real hurthling! posted:

the finger prick is 1000x worse than a arm draw in terms of pain too
neither are bad. finger prick is done in like 0.05s. arm draw doesn't hurt at all though its vaguely uncomfortable but not in pain.

my work has a sponsored red cross donations every quarter that comes on-site and we get paid up to 8-hours/yr for blood donations so i've going to them each time, mostly because poo poo can build up in men and im probably loaded with pfas and heavy metals so it's good to do blood letting. get paid to give blood, plus not do work, free snacks, $10 amazon gift card, and get rid of my lovely goony male blood? sounds good to me. i actually look forward to each quarterly visit

i've given more blood the past 2 years at my new job than i ever have the preceeding 30+ years of my life

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
haven't been brave enough to do power red/plasma though. maybe sometime.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Also despite the 30 day pension bailout for Yellow drivers that halted the strike on the 24th the company is supposedly declaring bankruptcy on the 31st

https://twitter.com/SamanthaLaDuc/status/1684399353203421184?s=20

more like red.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Stereotype posted:

The superconductor thing reminds me of a guy I knew who claimed to have invented a fusion technology that he had patented, but then his website and all of his publications and everything was just how great fusion would be. Like, yeah, sure, agreed. That's not the part anyone is questioning though.

Reminds me of a guy on these very forums who had a psychotic break and convinced himself that he discovered a breakthrough in quantum computing

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Reminds me of a guy on these very forums who had a psychotic break and convinced himself that he discovered a breakthrough in quantum computing

wasn't that yospos guy, bob dobbs is dead, or something

tfw computers make everyone into Terry A Davis

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
PromotedTweet (:lol:at the Reader added context)
https://twitter.com/Evony_TKR/status/1676125706097692672?t=qmDUgoYShy1Wy9pVKPIhUw&s=19

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

wasn't that yospos guy, bob dobbs is dead, or something

tfw computers make everyone into Terry A Davis

That’s the one. Wonder how his breakthrough is going

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

Father Wendigo posted:

Texas continues to pioneer ways to get children ready to be a member of the prisoner workforce

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1684629442910408705?t=BIFt5TBVAd6TObUXRbUXWA&s=19

now when they say eliminate...

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
That's next semester.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

number

how is bitcoin still a thing at this point lol

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

net work error posted:

number

bitcoin is a metric of disposable income backed by stupidity

we are dumb as hell and the money printer inflated things like that

Tesla, Onlyfans, Funko Pops, Bitcoin, Collectible Cards, Retro Games should all see huge immediate drops in a real recession as laid off stupid idiots need money to pay their bills

edit: also Tether has created trillions of "dollars" in transactions and activity on exchanges. The courts haven't stopped them yet.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 03:41 on Jul 29, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

net work error posted:

number

wash trading, fake scams/coin fiat scams

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

haven't been brave enough to do power red/plasma though. maybe sometime.

Its really weird. You can feel when the fluid gets pumped back into your body

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

In Training posted:

and watch if you’re lucky enough to have clear tubes! always loved that part

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

apparently this is "Bidenomics"

https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/1684946886761775106

Apr 7, 2003

lol that he's loving dumb enough to give Trump credit whatsoever

just show him as a negative number. lie. who cares

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hmm looks like we're missing a couple dudes here

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

In Training posted:

is that the power red? the machine looked like a weird 1970s computer

tbf main reason i haven't is because i'm lazy and like to charge the 2 hours of paid time for only a 20-30minute thing whereas i think you're stuck for a full hour and seems like it takes them forever to set up. also they like to sell it as "oh but we take so much less so its better for you", but like taking a bunch of blood out IS the good part.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

(tips a huge box of shredding into a dumpster)

Sorry no records found.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

those other dudes were black. dont count

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

wow left out obamna

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Smart move to leave out obama, less complaints from leftist.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Lol never trust a preprint, especially one that generates buzz. Also never trust an academic paper, lots of pay-to-play garbage out there. And garbage in general. We think Robert Maxwell's big legacy is Ghislaine but actually it's the whole financial system behind academic publishing.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Koirhor posted:

wow left out obamna

Biden ran in 2020 on being a job creator for recycling the destroyed middle class into a minimum wage worker economy in 2009 and counting the second half of that equation as created jobs. Not sure why they wouldn't include those bullshit numbers too since it's exactly what they are doing now.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

jacksbrat posted:

Lol never trust a preprint, especially one that generates buzz. Also never trust an academic paper, lots of pay-to-play garbage out there. And garbage in general. We think Robert Maxwell's big legacy is Ghislaine but actually it's the whole financial system behind academic publishing.

yup. combination of institutional brain drain, slipping standards and increased half-assedness of just about everything, and most importantly capital worming its way into every crevice has pretty much meant everything ""academic"" paper wise is just horrendously bad and not to be trusted at all. this was especially relevant during covid times with a zillion preprints and xiv poo poo. but even nature et al are no longer "prestigious" and extremely half-assed and pay2post

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i dont really know how to frame it in any delicate terms but i cannot understate just how thoroughly half-assed everything is these days, even "pre-pandemic" but especially today. like just about everything in every field from peer review to construction inspection to media production to documentation/filing to manufacturing to services to posting to even management.

a lot if that is probably increased portion of people who don't give a poo poo because they're blatantly being exploited for their labor and not paid enough to care, but it also applies even in fields that are well-compensated/don't report to shareholders/produce profit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

RadiRoot posted:

ITS GOING TO THE MOOOOOON

Unfortunately, it's going to the moon at midday.