Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
At a certain point I just stopped "getting" Penny Arcade. I'd read strip after strip and I'd just be looking for the punchline but it seemed to stop having punchlines or being funny. Like it became a kind of meandering odyssey of a vague video-game-nerd-humor pastiche without ever actually getting anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

credburn posted:

At a certain point I just stopped "getting" Penny Arcade. I'd read strip after strip and I'd just be looking for the punchline but it seemed to stop having punchlines or being funny. Like it became a kind of meandering odyssey of a vague video-game-nerd-humor pastiche without ever actually getting anywhere.

Sorry friend I think you meant PYF

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

LookieLoo posted:

How is that even the same story?

You should read it. It's a pretty great page turner (it has no chapters IIRC) and better than the movie, which was also good but not great. King is like one of several rock bands who got sober and cleaned up but then went on to make shittier music.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Breetai posted:

Don't spoil it for yourself. Honestly Cujo's not a long read, it's an afternoon at most, but you need to have read it for it to have the full weight of impact. It puts you in a mood.

yeah im not doing that but thanks

Kestral posted:

I know this is a joke, but also, Tycho grew up, became a parent of a neurodivergent trans child, and became an absolute firebrand writer who despises our billionaire overlords and the insane political cults they enable with the fury of a thousand suns. The comic is usually sensible-chuckle tier, but the news posts can be a thing to behold when he gets riled up.

thats better than I would have expected given some of his peers

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Milo and POTUS posted:

thats better than I would have expected given some of his peers

The PA guys actually grew up and did a lot of self-reflection and decided to Do Better; becoming parents helped a lot, I suspect because it gave them something to be mad on behalf of, rather than at. They’re not super funny, they’re fully in “cool neighborhood nerdy dad” mode, but they’re allies for sure.

Kris Straub also came out well, and is doing phenomenal horror. LOCAL 58 on YouTube is loving terrifying.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Kestral posted:

The PA guys actually grew up and did a lot of self-reflection and decided to Do Better;

Did they? Seems like a lot of these opinions are based off of their Web 1.0 days, since then they royally and repeatedly put their foot in their mouths around 2010 or 11 that caused a massive fallout from their base and burned away a whole lot of the goodwill they built up over the previous decade.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Sounds like they changed a lot from 13 years ago, then. Which, same.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

i like penny arcade

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember the whole ''dickwolves" thing which kind of formed a watershed in a community tangential to this one that I was a part of at the time; everyone had to sort of make a choice about whether they would keep making rape jokes like edgy South Park teens or if they were willing to say that some kinds of humor suck even if they're by your favorite comedy writers, and either they'd better change their tune or you're dropping them.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Kestral posted:

The PA guys actually grew up and did a lot of self-reflection and decided to Do Better; becoming parents helped a lot, I suspect because it gave them something to be mad on behalf of, rather than at.

Like I said, talking to the dude in the hotel bar was super good. They had good vibes and quality things to say even in 2007ish era internet culture. Mike was cool for the 1 drink he sat with us for and is neurodivergent himself (ASD if iirc) but had to peace out because "I just can't be here right now." Which is a thing I deal with a lot.

They were riding a wave of early 2000's internet culture that kinda got them "caught up" is probably the best term.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Honestly still lolling at the dickwolves joke almost destroying them.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kestral posted:

LOCAL 58 on YouTube is loving terrifying.

DO NOT LOOK AT THE MOON

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

spookykid posted:

had to peace out because "I just can't be here right now." Which is a thing I deal with a lot.

Maybe shower a bit more if people keep bailing on you like that.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/1mz1rPX.mp4

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

that man is living his best life and is also high as a kite on probably mdma

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Arivia posted:

that man is living his best life and is also high as a kite on probably mdma

Man? I see no man, merely a noble crab.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

:zoid:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

tendency to oversauce but otherwise very good, recommended

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Biplane posted:

i like penny arcade

My adolescent brain misses the Bench.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Bring your friends!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
That sweet, nutty grain...

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I guess I'll be the guy who spoils the joke today: kake and bukkake are two ways to serve udon. I think kake is in a soup and bukkake is chilled with just a light sauce?

I didn't even learn this from anime, by the way! There's a pretty good udon place near where I live with an informative menu.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Emzedoh posted:

There's a pretty good udon place near where I live with an informative menu.

Nah, that's all a lie. Your Udon place just likes loving with people.

Right now there all laughing at how many people they've tricked to go into other Japanese restaurants thinking they just go show off how knowledgeable they are when ordering, only to end up get jizzed on by everyone.

Honestly as far as pranks go, that's a pretty good one.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Gross.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Emzedoh posted:

just a light sauce

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Look that's just the type of thing that happens when you try and learn new things. :shrug:

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Sigh. It looks like this.

https://www.seriouseats.com/bukkake-udon-japanese-noodle-broth-recipe

It's dressed with soy sauce-based sauce.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

*quickly glances at thread title*

Amaritudo
Jul 5, 2003

The Bitter Timelord
Pffft next thing you'll tell me is a big fat cock is just an overfed chicken.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CsORANiB5o&t=51s

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Beve Stuscemi posted:

*Dirty Dancing voice* I carried a ham?!?

I've hammed the time of my life
And I've never felt this way for pork

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

"Light beer" just has to be nearly clear. "Light sauce" being white is ... valid

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Emzedoh posted:

Sigh. It looks like this.

https://www.seriouseats.com/bukkake-udon-japanese-noodle-broth-recipe

It's dressed with soy sauce-based sauce.

Had, the people pranking you have gone to the extra effort here. Nice.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Kestral posted:

The PA guys actually grew up and did a lot of self-reflection and decided to Do Better; becoming parents helped a lot, I suspect because it gave them something to be mad on behalf of, rather than at. They’re not super funny, they’re fully in “cool neighborhood nerdy dad” mode, but they’re allies for sure.

Kris Straub also came out well, and is doing phenomenal horror. LOCAL 58 on YouTube is loving terrifying.

I haven’t read PA consistently in several years but I own the first 9 seasons of their printed webcomics? I really enjoyed them, and agree that it was fun to watch them grow from 20’s basement edge lords into weird dads.

This may be a deep cut, but did anyone else watch their Reality TV competition show to find a new artist? I unironically loving loved it. They had a bunch of super talented artists and the whole thing seemed like a lot of fun.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

space uncle posted:

I haven’t read PA consistently in several years but I own the first 9 seasons of their printed webcomics?

Are you asking someone else if you own this or what?

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Flakey posted:

Are you asking someone else if you own this or what?

Grandpa what are you doing here, did you wander away from the nursing home again

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

they're just posting with a new zealander accent

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Pinny Orcide es sweet is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Hi I invunted lummingtons ind Russil Crow or sometheng