Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Open Source Idiom posted:

She read her future self's mind.
Yes, it was an in-the-moment laugh. I understood she read her own mind as the scene progressed. That doesn't remove the fact I laughed in the moment.

theblackw0lf posted:

So I’m not really following why Brother day wants this marriage. 1. How does this specific alliance benefit empire? 2. How does having actual children help fix the lineage issue that has been caused by the divergence of the clones?
1 part taking over a sector of the galaxy that Empire's grip has loosened on, 1 part "it turns out cloning yourself causes problems similar to incest."

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Phenotype posted:

I think the idea of moving to a more traditional dynasty just means they don't have to keep pretending the original line of Cleon is still pure and unadulterated.

It's also possible the actor is out of contract at the end of the season and wants out. Does anyone know if Lee Pace has committed to a season 3?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

They are kind of implying that Empire will be a done thing after this crisis- the preview of the next one 150 years out implied that Empire was no longer a concern, didn't it?

Not sure what role Lee Pace will have in this show if Empire isn't central to galactic affairs.

I mean, it'll be great if we get a slice-of-life story about the hermit Emperors, maintaining their line with the last of their failing technology, on a ruined Trantor being reclaimed by wilderness between the crumbled skyscrapers, but one wonders what relevance that'll have to the wider story at that point.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

theblackw0lf posted:

How does this specific alliance benefit empire?
They get to reclaim the stuff this other royal family now owns, which used to be part of the one big unified galactic empire.

theblackw0lf posted:

How does having actual children help fix the lineage issue that has been caused by the divergence of the clones?
I think he's just decided it's a lost cause, since they now know the clones are all different, so there's no point keeping it going.

Eiba posted:

I'm especially confused why Dawn is even vaguely okay with this.
Maybe he'd rather be a prince his whole life, living in luxury with no responsibilities, than become emperor? Or maybe he actually isn't ok with it but he doesn't have any way to stop it so he's just pretending, possibly with the intent to sabotage it later?

Eiba posted:

Not sure what role Lee Pace will have in this show if Empire isn't central to galactic affairs.
Not sure who'd want to watch this show if Lee Pace isn't in it any more.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

Eiba posted:

I mean, it'll be great if we get a slice-of-life story about the hermit Emperors, maintaining their line with the last of their failing technology, on a ruined Trantor being reclaimed by wilderness between the crumbled skyscrapers, but one wonders what relevance that'll have to the wider story at that point.

Trantor is relevant throughout the whole book series. There are no Cleons on it but well, I could see how the show could keep them there and continue inventing some story for them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If the show loses Lee Pace, IMO they'll do it in another season, and we'll get a season of him being a bit desperate and humbled. It's too juicy not to have Pace play something like that, and he's one of their big actor draws for this series. They'll do a season of him weak, and they'll transition in a new big name to play a regular. Same sort of thing as they're doing with with aging out Joel Kinnaman on For All Mankind, and replacing him with Toby Kebbel in the acting roster.

Plus I reckon they'll never fully abandon the Space Rome politics, and we'll see the show transition into a cession of insane dynasties, provided the show goes for long enough. Just go full I, Claudius with the subplot, that would own.

Speaking of, I'm really excited to see Rachel House turn up this season. She'd be a good Serjanus type.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Snowmanatee posted:

Trantor is relevant throughout the whole book series. There are no Cleons on it but well, I could see how the show could keep them there and continue inventing some story for them.
Yeah, but in the book series the Second Foundation was based on Trantor which appears not to be the case in the show.

But I guess they don't even really need to have Trantor be an active concern to keep around the Cleons. They could send a brother Dawn off in a cryopod as things crumble, and then next season/a couple hundred years later a warlord claiming to be the legitimate Emperor shows up.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Keep the 2nd foundation in the same place as the book makes a lot of sense IMO, they can move the boring side plots to the more interesting setting.

Also I just don't see Lee Pace leaving the show. The way the show is setup they can kill him many times and still bring him back. He doesn't need to come back as emperor, he can come back as a space elf.

Also naked Legolas cameo.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

I think it’s too early to say what planet the second Foundation is going to be based on in the show, even though last episode they named a planet. There was endless misdirection in the books, and I see that as being something they’ll try to keep.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Good points. Actually, with misdirects in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if Gail somehow edited her memories of where the 2nd Foundation was to point the Mule in the wrong direction when he reads her mind.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Season 1 had computer Hari say that the Second Foundation was supposed to be at Star's End (which is from the books) but then he gave Star's End as a specific location when in the books it was just a cryptic mystery.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

This episode needed more Cleon. But, I guess The Titan's Prick and Wild Wild West spider miners? Sure, why not.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
i don’t even know what the hell this show is anymore D:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Legs Benedict posted:

i don’t even know what the hell this show is anymore D:
Same...and I'm loving it. Seriously, I'm so much more interested in this season so far. Mind you, the first season dragged towards the end so this one could still suck but this one feels like such an interesting combination of Hitchhiker's Guide, Raised by Wolves, and bad writing that I'm just letting its insanity wash over me. I'm so glad Gaal and Salvor are together so their horrid writing can happen in its own corner rather than taking up 2/3s of an episode and it's offset by Jared Harris spouting technobabble nonsense so the entire show is much more manageable. Golly I'm... actually excited for the next episode.

Titan's Prick is amazing.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 28, 2023

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Titan's prick.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
It's called Psycho History GAAAL!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
First half of the episode looks like a high fantasy scifi story from Dune, 2nd half come straight out of a Han Solo story. Even the battle ship and the interior look Star War. The entire episode looks very expensive....

And the ending is Star Trek.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 28, 2023

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I actually really enjoyed that episode. Even the Gaal Salvor parts weren't that bad.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

It really speaks volumes that when we first saw the Foundation clerics I thought to myself "oh great, here we go, tropey religious zealotry writing" and only 1 episode later I'm excited any time the clerics are on screen. I find Isabella Laughland absolutely radiant (it's probably the bright blue contact lenses) and Kulvinder Ghir has fantastic acting energy. I'm really hoping the rest of this season can keep these writing and acting peaks.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DaveKap posted:

It really speaks volumes that when we first saw the Foundation clerics I thought to myself "oh great, here we go, tropey religious zealotry writing" and only 1 episode later I'm excited any time the clerics are on screen. I find Isabella Laughland absolutely radiant (it's probably the bright blue contact lenses) and Kulvinder Ghir has fantastic acting energy. I'm really hoping the rest of this season can keep these writing and acting peaks.

Haven't seen the new episode yet but I did enjoy them being bickering charlatans who still fervently believe in the mission of the Foundation

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
Liked the episode and yeah this season so far feels less "static" and more adventurous which makes even the weakest part (Gaal/Salvor/Seldon) a lot better.

Talking about it... they managed to do more for Bel Riose as a character in one episode than with Salvor in a whole season, showing once again that everything on the side of the Empire storyline is for some reason much better and it has good story potential for a "sympathetic" villain (or maybe even an antihero down the line? The setup for him vs Empire is certainly obvious).

Also... is it really that big of a mystery for Seldon to be "back" as a human? I mean Empire isn't a secret so the technology is there and Seldon's consciousness was obviously saved so the only real "surprise" or challenge would be to have access to that technology (the real question then becomes why this wasn't part of the plan to begin with).

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It was fun. I enjoyed it.

The shot with Gail and Seldon walking on sand and only her leaving footprints was great. Planet mined out 3000 years ago by huge robotic excavators is some strong hard sci-fi poo poo that also fits the foundation universe.

Salvor kinda sucks :shrug:

Who was the tomb lady again?

wode
Dec 8, 2015

Mokotow posted:

Who was the tomb lady again?

The poetess-mathematician whose name I never recall - just call her Hypatia.

I suspect she is/was in league with a second android. She may be the second android! Demerzel is one side of an ancient shadow war between good and bad bots, a war in which Seldon is merely a pawn.

(I'm having fun with this television series while also loving and knowing the novels.)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The show keeps drawing attention to the poetic meter of her dialogue, but I don't notice anything interesting about it. Is it because I suck at TV or because the writers are only doing half the job?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

So as I understand it, tomb lady is an android and she place Seldon’s consciousness into an android body, right?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Did the tomb lazy appear in S1? She must be since she was recognized but I have no long term memories of S1.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Mokotow posted:

So as I understand it, tomb lady is an android and she place Seldon’s consciousness into an android body, right?

I’m also assuming she’s an android, but not sure yet if Seldon is biological clone or android.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Did the tomb lazy appear in S1? She must be since she was recognized but I have no long term memories of S1.

No. Seldon encountered her (or an image of her) in the prime radiant a couple of episodes ago. She was only mentioned in season 1 as the one who came up with the Ninth Proof of Folding that Gaal used to help find a proof for the Abraxus Conjecture, the contest that brought her to Trantor.

Snowmanatee fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 29, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
These outer colonies own hard. Last week it was Medieval Roswell, this week it's Nazis vs The Scarlet Pimpernel.

loving love this season. This show is wild.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

These outer colonies own hard. Last week it was Medieval Roswell, this week it's Nazis vs The Scarlet Pimpernel.

loving love this season. This show is wild.

Oh yeah! That whole Hober Mallow part of the story was surprisingly entertaining.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's called Psycho History GAAAL!

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Snowmanatee posted:

I’m also assuming she’s an android, but not sure yet if Seldon is biological clone or android.

Didn’t they say “someone is breathing over there” or something like that, and that’s why the killer machines went to the statue? I’m thinking he’s a biological clone.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Foundation: computer, generate titan's prick

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

latinotwink1997 posted:

Didn’t they say “someone is breathing over there” or something like that, and that’s why the killer machines went to the statue? I’m thinking he’s a biological clone.

He also had a pulse. Maybe Androids have one too (though what was been shown so far in the show is that Androids on the inside are certainly not "fake" humans) but I'd think they wouldn't highlight the pulse thing if he wasn't a real human. Besides that I don't know what it would add to the story if Seldon was suddenly an Android.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This show is fun as hell and I hope it lasts forever with endless bullshit nonsense. It's science fiction that's doing something actually different, which is refreshing.

Put me down as someone who loved the part with Gaal leaving footprints and Hari not. I thought the giant rock statue looked cool and ancient, very Lord of the Rings. The future prison was sufficiently horrifying yet still sci-fi. Demerzel creeps me out. I found the parts with Bel Riose and his husband affecting. The whole Hober Mallow bit with the swashbuckling rogue definitely reminded me of adventure stories I enjoyed as a kid.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Alright, now that's how you make an overpriced nonsense sci fi show! Three completely different stories each with their own over the top set pieces and completely different tones. Sad gay general was very well realized- good introduction of your villain. Silly charlatan hero was very silly- good introduction of your hero. And the third plot had cool giant robots for no reason!

That didn't seem like it was so hard. Keep it up, Foundation.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Jane Espenson is now one of the writers (she co-wrote this episode). She wrote a lot of Buffy episodes and some of the better Battlestar Galactica episodes. I’ve felt the dialogue is a bit more punchy since she’s become involved.

wode
Dec 8, 2015
Her name is Kalle. She is said to speak anapestic trimeter, which is both simple and rare. Anapestic: two short syllables and one long (by emphasis or length). Trimeter: repeated three times per line. Eg: https://www.luminarium.org/eightlit/cowper/selkirk.htm

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
For all it’s faults I’m sticking with this show until the bitter end, partly for Lee Pace, partly for Jared Harris, partly because I’m a sucker for distant future settings, it mostly because it’s the closest thing to golden-age sci-fi there is on TV right now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Kinda stunned at how much time they spent developing the season villain, making him sympathetic and interesting, giving him a likeable supporting cast... a huge change from The Huntress last season.

Surprised how invested I am in this guy after just one episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

wode posted:

Her name is Kalle. She is said to speak anapestic trimeter, which is both simple and rare. Anapestic: two short syllables and one long (by emphasis or length). Trimeter: repeated three times per line. Eg: https://www.luminarium.org/eightlit/cowper/selkirk.htm

Fun fact I just learned right now is that Eminem’s The Way I Am is rapped in this same anapestic trimeter except for the chorus bits.