Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

He's in the 'crushing a child's packed lunch with his bare hands' phase now

e: what a poo poo snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Apparently this prison HMP Bronzefield is a private prison.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I like living where I live but that’s probably because I live in Manchester, the UK’s coolest and most fun city.

The only real contender is Glasgow and if anyone tries to mention that tourist trap shithole Edinburgh I’ll be cross

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Toolmaker!!!

https://twitter.com/keir_starmer/status/1685210715634708480?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

This story makes no loving sense lol. Who the gently caress has people round for dinner that they don’t know?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Crust First posted:

I'm an American who moved to the UK and did the whole citizenship thing and as terrible as the UK is (it's pretty great tbh) I'd never move back to the US. If you're pulling down six figgies in the US, fair enough I guess, you won't really make that money here touching computer, but if you're an average idiot, or worse, self employed, you're pretty hosed in the US if literally anything bad happens. The social safety net is a bear trap.

That said, the Tories sure are trying their damnedest to import the specific brand of terrible American Exceptionalism that is "American ""Health Care""", so I worry about the future, but there's also a lot of neat old stuff here, so who can say on balance if the UK is good or bad.

This is pretty much my experience too, only coming from Canada. In my branch of academia, the only English-speaking countries where you have a realistic chance of getting a permanent job are the US and UK. I did my time in the US and saw what it would be like living with a reasonable income and it’s just not worth the extra stress compared to living in the UK with the same job, so I ended up here. It’s not perfect but I don’t regret moving here, and despite the political landscape being bleak my quality of life and day to day interactions are pretty good.

Living in the US is great if you’re rich and can insulate yourself from everything negative, but then you can be rich and insulate yourself from the horrors of the world in a lot of places.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't think you know what you're talking about. I've set my parents up with a starlink dish and its brilliant, absolutely revolutionised their internet from the 4g they were stuck with before. There was no better deal for comparable speed satellite internet available.

Theres a story that came out recenlty about Tesla, apparently they had a whole department who's job it was to cancel repair services for customers who reported that their cars weren't hitting anwhere near the driving range the dashboard was reporting, and tesla had promised, the car was supposed to hit.

they had purposefully programmed the cars to report wildly inaccurate and optimistic driving ranges to the point where a lot of customers thought their car was broken.

You can read about it here https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/tesla-batteries-range/

The point is i wouldn't trust what starlink says about how good starlink is, because its run by a huge manbaby who habitually lies and has a history of coercing his employees into breaking the law to reinforce those lies. I would not buy anything the man was involved in making nor would i pay for any service he's offering.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't think you know what you're talking about. I've set my parents up with a starlink dish and its brilliant, absolutely revolutionised their internet from the 4g they were stuck with before. There was no better deal for comparable speed satellite internet available.

you're a liar!!!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/elsieblundell/status/1685030645339185153?t=NEbQbQV96ZKtuP74GdHqaQ&s=19

The message is poo poo as ever and he's getting worse at standing and smiling somehow

Nah, the message is on-point. They'll transform the country for working people all right; note there's no mention of making it better. Work or starve, peons! The one policy they won't U-turn on.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Mr Phillby posted:

A bunch of junk

Ash Crimson posted:

you're a liar!!!

There's no way a car company would exaggerate their products performances.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Starlink is a money-sink scam to get money out of the government. It uses a ridiculous number of satellites to provide coverage that other providers are managing with a handful. These satellites are short-lived junk that are clogging up the sky and ruining ground-based astronomy. The ground dish is a non-repairable unit that even professionals can't tear down without outright destroying them - you can't even replace the cable without getting a new dish. It also fails in high temperatures (like what big swathes of the US are currently experiencing) and low temperatures (so Svalbard is right out, sorry).

Elon Musk is a con artist, a nazi, and a friend to pedophiles if not one himself.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Some of my colleagues doing the experimental side got to go there to the EISCAT, sadly I was a theoretical modeller so jolly old London for me. Even the one international conference during a PhD-ship which the department would fork out for happened to be in Birmingham in my year. The year before me got Vietnam - I missed out on all the jollies. :qq:

That's a shame, it's an interesting place to visit although I don't think I'd want to be there long term. I've really no idea what EISCAT are doing but their installations are very cool looking, I've been to all their sites except the Finnish one. Skiing around the huge dish and antenna array they have near Tromsø was fun.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Dabir posted:

a money-sink scam to get money out of the government

I think you'll find this is one of the fundamental pillars of private enterprise in our economy

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

NotJustANumber99 posted:

There's no way a car company would exaggerate their products performances.
Yeah and theres no way a satelite internet company would exagerate how good their service is vs other ones available is the point?

But sure trust the company run by the pedo guy who literally asked for his cars to show ludicrous inflated numbers by design because 'it feels good to see a big number'. Also ignore that the thing being lied about was the one major downside of an EV vehicle, ie how far it can travel before charging. They even rigged the thing to show an actual realistic estimate when the charge was below 50%, so they knew what they were doing.

You shoulld probably read the article if you haven't its pretty funny how tesla regards its customers, cheering and celebrating as they cancel repairs for issues that were only raised because the cars are specifically designed to gaslight customers on a systems level.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I think it was joke op, given the recent coverage of manufacturers e.g - volkswagen having put their finger on the scales when publishing emissions data etc

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I think the dude with an avatar of shrek stroking his beercan thick fuckmeat might be joking

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

kecske posted:

I think it was joke op, given the recent coverage of manufacturers e.g - volkswagen having put their finger on the scales when publishing emissions data etc
Yeah i understood that? Thats just pure whataboutism tho, other companies being criminal doesnt excuse the poo poo tesla does.

Its also just occured to me that we now know that these cars would have shown drive estimates up to twice what they were actually capable of. Rather puts all those 'unfair biased in the pocket of big petrol' reviews from years ago into a new light doesnt it? Like they all said the cars didn't go nearly as far as advertised. The prevaling narrative at the time was that tesla released telemetry data proving that the reviewers lied, but why would they have been lying about something we know is true now? Did the data actually show what tesla said? Was the data in anyway trustworthy? They lost the top gear case becase it was classified as 'entertainment' but was the data they had ever actually given scrutiny?

Once again if any company run by this man says their product can do X or is better than the alternatives i would absolutely not trust it,

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

We'll make the country better for our rich mates.
Oh, and working people too (I suppose).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

Toolmaker!!!

https://twitter.com/keir_starmer/status/1685210715634708480?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

This story makes no loving sense lol. Who the gently caress has people round for dinner that they don’t know?
The more I hear about his dad the more concinced I am he was a manager at the toolmakers, i.e. not a worker, spent all his time mediating wage theft between the owners and the workers, while sucking up to / siding with the owners.

If not, it's a stark warning about how you can give a kid all the chances in the world to go down a good path and they can still catch the lib prion at university and end up a class traitor.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought it came out a while ago that he owned the tool factory

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Ash Crimson posted:

I think the dude with an avatar of shrek stroking his beercan thick fuckmeat might be joking

I dont know why people think im unfamiliar with nan99?

Everything i post is a joke people still reply to me sometimes.

And to be serious, whatever level of irony he's operating on he's still a guy who actually owns a tesla and turns up here to parrot defenses of his favorite billionare and he's always going to be a springboard for people to poo poo on musk more because its fun and necessary for anyone not up on their forum characters.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

I dont know why people think im unfamiliar with nan99?

Everything i post is a joke people still reply to me sometimes.

And to be serious, whatever level of irony he's operating on he's still a guy who actually owns a tesla and turns up here to parrot defenses of his favorite billionare and he's always going to be a springboard for people to poo poo on musk more because its fun and necessary for anyone not up on their forum characters.

Bro his avatar is jerkin he gherkin

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I thought it came out a while ago that he owned the tool factory
Having just remembered that and done some googling, the only source for that allegation was Lord Ashcroft. There's no companies house record of it and even a few lefties who hate Starmer are doubtful of the claim.

I mean I wouldn't be surprised if he did, but we basically just have to take Keith's word, and we know how much that's worth.

E: I did find a bunch of stuff about how he regretted his relationship with his father because he worked 14 hour days and drank to cope and its like, come the gently caress on man you are both victims of worker abuse you are actively working to perpetuate. Absolute no-thoughts head-empty smooth brained nonce in existence.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 29, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Trip report, Iceland (the store not the country):

Huh - about 18 months ago, £1 would get you 900g of frozen mixed veg. Then it dropped to £1 for 750g. And now... ta da... they don't do the £1 bags anymore and it's £2 for 1400g.

Toolmaker father chat:

I did look into this some time ago, and seems the claim that his father owned the factory was based on a comment made by him about someone high up "he came to MY factory!" so this was interpreted to mean he owned the factory. But if my mum turned up at my office I would say "she came to MY work". I'm certainly not claiming to own the company!

So I am a little sceptical of the claim he owned the factory and would need more definite proof if I could be bothered but 'm not. I just like making the 'he certainly made a tool' comment that so many others make.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 29, 2023

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Trip report, Iceland (the store not the country):

Huh - about 18 months ago, £1 would get you 900g of frozen mixed veg. Then it dropped to £1 for 750g. And now... ta da... they don't do the £1 bags anymore and it's £2 for 1400g.

It's funny they pulled the opposite for flour, used to be 2 quid for 2kg now it's 1.50 for 1

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Stormgale posted:

It's funny they pulled the opposite for flour, used to be 2 quid for 2kg now it's 1.50 for 1

B*stards. That's even higher inflation than mixed veg. I've never bought flour in there so didn't know that.

I should have waited til Tuesday and got my 10% granny discount. But I was out of veg today.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

B*stards. That's even higher inflation than mixed veg. I've never bought flour in there so didn't know that.

I should have waited til Tuesday and got my 10% granny discount. But I was out of veg today.

I get mine from Tesco (Allison's) but yeah, one week you couldn't by the 2kg then the new ones were the only ones available

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Goon Gaming PC enjoyers. My wife claims she can notice a major difference in our electricity usage in the last month as I have been totally hooked on TOTK on Switch rather than playing vidya on the PC. Is this realistic?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Has she taken into account that the prices have gone up again?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean yeah PCs can have quite noticable power draw, like up to half a kilowatt if it's got some beefy hardware. Presumably more if you have a big or multiple monitors as well.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Monitors aren't too bad (like 20-80W per or so), but yeah desktops can draw a lot of power while the switch is basically a phone so it draws very little; laptops are between the two.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 29, 2023

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
much as i hate so much about this country with its many and loud pig ignorant bigots, the ever-creeping authoritarianism, the incestuous, bought and paid for media, the dearth of any effective organised force of the left and all the other stuff on that list, i'm sure AF glad i wasn't born in a lot of other places and that my list of places where I think I might be living a slightly better life is a relatively very small set compared to what it would be if i was in saudi arabia, russia, syria, afghanistan or some other hellscape

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Goon Gaming PC enjoyers. My wife claims she can notice a major difference in our electricity usage in the last month as I have been totally hooked on TOTK on Switch rather than playing vidya on the PC. Is this realistic?

A decent PC or a laptop will easily suck more power than a Switch... price hike per unit destroys us all.

crispix posted:

much as i hate so much about this country with its many and loud pig ignorant bigots, the ever-creeping authoritarianism, the incestuous, bought and paid for media, the dearth of any effective organised force of the left and all the other stuff on that list, i'm sure AF glad i wasn't born in a lot of other places and that my list of places where I think I might be living a slightly better life is a relatively very small set compared to what it would be if i was in saudi arabia, russia, syria, afghanistan or some other hellscape

I've come to the conclusion the Northern Ireland is one of the best places to live in the UK... that's loving bonkers. :stonklol:

Watch It Burn
Apr 8, 2009

Mr Phillby posted:

Theres a story that came out recenlty about Tesla, apparently they had a whole department who's job it was to cancel repair services for customers who reported that their cars weren't hitting anwhere near the driving range the dashboard was reporting, and tesla had promised, the car was supposed to hit.

they had purposefully programmed the cars to report wildly inaccurate and optimistic driving ranges to the point where a lot of customers thought their car was broken.

You can read about it here https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/tesla-batteries-range/

The point is i wouldn't trust what starlink says about how good starlink is, because its run by a huge manbaby who habitually lies and has a history of coercing his employees into breaking the law to reinforce those lies. I would not buy anything the man was involved in making nor would i pay for any service he's offering.

I despise Musk as well but Starlink is a great product. My company has many sites in the middle of nowhere and getting decent comms to them is a nightmare.

We started putting Starlink in last year and it’s revolutionised how we work. And I don’t recall a time where it stopped working over 20+ sites. It’s superb.

Once again though just so I’m clear Elon is a terrible human being.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Watch It Burn posted:

I despise Musk as well but Starlink is a great product. My company has many sites in the middle of nowhere and getting decent comms to them is a nightmare.

We started putting Starlink in last year and it’s revolutionised how we work. And I don’t recall a time where it stopped working over 20+ sites. It’s superb.

Once again though just so I’m clear Elon is a terrible human being.

Thanks for your support in this matter, but please don't buy a tesla. Your username will cause issues that I will struggle to combat in this thread.

Watch It Burn
Apr 8, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Thanks for your support in this matter, but please don't buy a tesla. Your username will cause issues that I will struggle to combat in this thread.

After the things I’ve posted about Elon on Twitter (I will never call it X. Never!) I’m not allowed in their showrooms anyway.

Plus, you know, the whole being poor thing.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
any of you know what depth of topsoil is required for a bed to have shrubs in for... well forever as far as i'm concerned

i want to make a bed where there's currently pebbles and zero topsoil - it's just gravelly stuff underneath

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Watch It Burn posted:

After the things I’ve posted about Elon on Twitter (I will never call it X. Never!) I’m not allowed in their showrooms anyway.

Plus, you know, the whole being poor thing.

I still can't believe it's X now, I saw on my phone that the little blue bird icon had changed and was like: "holy poo poo, he's actually gone and done it!" Wiping out a well established and instantly recognisable brand for... that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

I still can't believe it's X now, I saw on my phone that the little blue bird icon had changed and was like: "holy poo poo, he's actually gone and done it!" Wiping out a well established and instantly recognisable brand for... that.

If you think that's bad wait until you see what he did to the building.

(maybe don't watch if you're photosensitive..)

https://twitter.com/itsmefrenchy123/status/1685177000913502209

Not sure there is a better metaphor for musk's existence in the world, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/juliansheasport/status/1684929154808946688?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg