Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Love going out to eat at an active homicide scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/bloombergasia/status/1685425049853960192

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1685425217693511681?s=46&t=vNKUIzc4nvqsPFaYLiXegw

:toot:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ha ha, goodbye to the thing you used to borrow free money

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

netizen posted:

Love going out to eat at an active homicide scene.

Can’t let a little carnage get in the of my sweet delicious slop

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Maed posted:

*runs into the thread sweating and completely out of breath* ARE THE ROLLS OK?????
theyre a little dry

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously are they actually going to restart student loans? what in the world?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Dems are allergic to wielding power

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

And if you look down below you'll see the closest thing to hell this side of the sun. Anyway that's about it, make sure to try out the zero-G jacuzzi if you get a chance. Hope this was worth the $15 million, months of transit time in a tiny cube, and 20% chance of horrific death.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

drat this sequel sounds cool, upping the ante for the next one to sink

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Le Epic Dark Brandon fooled the Republicans into raising the debt ceiling by promising to screw over his most loyal constituents.

He is a very smart man.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lmao

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

MuadDib Atreides posted:

don't worry, biden's top economic advisors have assured the press that it's no big deal

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Frosted Flake posted:

I feel like we teach this to first year undergrads, but pulling all-nighters and sleeping in the library does not actually help you study for exams, and is less effective by every metric - even if you overlook happiness or mental health, you just get better grades by not doing that.

So... why do they keep trying this instead of "biohacking" themselves with 8 hours sleep and taking breaks from their work?

When I was younger I amazed my friends and family by learning mandarin Chinese. No one believed me when I told them the secret is to take frequent breaks. And the "smarter" they are the harder they refused to believe that studying more and making yourself miserable is not a good way to learn.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

reminds me of that video of the amazon driver who made his delivery in the middle of a police standoff. the show must go on.

Apr 7, 2003

Re google sucking rear end now:

You can’t google a pet cat anti flea med, advantage XD, effectively because the “XD” brings back a bunch of anime fan fiction

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1685440317129101312?s=20

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Do you ever wonder if these comedy billionaire un-alivings are just cover so we won't try to come after them in their new compound in Thailand?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Oh wow our carbon fibre prefab colony structure built by unpaid interns melted on the surface of Venus and everyone died. Huh. Oh well, thanks for all the ticket money I guess.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

My vet (google) said to use cheristin instead.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
One of the things that was a nail in the coffin for me being fully done with working in tech was every god drat product has stupid loving names like "make" or "save" or other super standard words so googling for "how do you fix X in make" brings up absolutely nothing useful and the products themselves are utter dogshit for their own documentation.

The other horrible thing is when the answer DID exist on the companies website - like I was looking for some obscure issue that only occurred with like a 4k monitor and some logitech product - but at some point logitech purged their KB and now all that exist are echos of the site in googles cache but not the whole page with the answer. IT ROCKS.

Apr 7, 2003

palindrome posted:

My vet (google) said to use cheristin instead.

That’s the same drug, they’re both Spinetoram

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Is there at least a snowballs chance in heck that the The Biden Consultancy Brain Trust gets the idea that restarting loans could cause one of the important numbers like the dow jones to go down? I'm sure they have the notion that it will make the lazies more desperate to go "back" to "work" but is there any shred of hope?????

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

why would regular people having less money matter to number ?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mrbotus posted:

When I was younger I amazed my friends and family by learning mandarin Chinese. No one believed me when I told them the secret is to take frequent breaks. And the "smarter" they are the harder they refused to believe that studying more and making yourself miserable is not a good way to learn.

I just saw Oppenheimer, and throughout the parts covering his education it just constantly reinforces Misery = Brilliance.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 03:10 on Jul 30, 2023

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Is there at least a snowballs chance in heck that the The Biden Consultancy Brain Trust gets the idea that restarting loans could cause one of the important numbers like the dow jones to go down? I'm sure they have the notion that it will make the lazies more desperate to go "back" to "work" but is there any shred of hope?????

Doesn’t matter. They’d be breaking their debt ceiling deal that’s now enshrined in law and the SC would promptly slap them down.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

MuadDib Atreides posted:

That ship has already sailed. It was part of their budget "bargain" with Republicans. They had no choice! As always.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Doesn’t matter. They’d be breaking their debt ceiling deal that’s now enshrined in law and the SC would promptly slap them down.

LOL thank you B!

The actual restart of loans is enshrined into law for october? like they can't even kick the can?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the can has been kicked in the sense that you don’t really need to pay until oct 24 afaict.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Having a hard time dealing with this TBH. How will I cop nice things if B is taking his cut?

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

the can has been kicked in the sense that you don’t really need to pay until oct 24 afaict.

But can it be kicked again?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

MuadDib Atreides posted:

LOL thank you B!

The actual restart of loans is enshrined into law for october? like they can't even kick the can?

Nope! McCarthy said no more pauses and Brandon said okey dokey.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Re google sucking rear end now:

You can’t google a pet cat anti flea med, advantage XD, effectively because the “XD” brings back a bunch of anime fan fiction

I think Amazon has gotten worse. It's become impossible to know what edition of a book you're getting. I wanted a hardcover of Brideshead Revisited and the picture was of the Penguin edition, the hardcover was actually the softcover Back Bay Books edition, and they shipped the Little, Brown and Company edition.

It was just a novel I felt like reading, but holy gently caress can you imagine actually trying to get a book you need a specific edition, God forbid translation, of?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mrbotus posted:

Forced repetition and cramming is miserable and inefficient but it works. A lot of the kids from those "smart" (rich) families were made to take 10,000 tutoring/cram classes to "get ahead." Their parents paid for that privilege and they'll probably do the same thing to their kids, after all it's the only thing they know.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Koirhor posted:

nfl sunday ticket on youtube tv for only $439 wowowow

vipbox.eu and you can zap the ads

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Vox Nihili posted:

Forced repetition and cramming is miserable and inefficient but it works. A lot of the kids from those "smart" (rich) families were made to take 10,000 tutoring/cram classes to "get ahead." Their parents paid for that privilege and they'll probably do the same thing to their kids, after all it's the only thing they know.

It works for rote recitation and muscle memory but not actual learning. We did a bunch of studies of it at the artillery school and the class that was taught out of the 1980's "Back in My Day" manual scored way below the "Kids These Days" classes. Of course every time there was new leadership we had to run the same experiment again because they're all convinced that forced repetition and cramming works better.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

If I ever get to the point where I actually feel financially secure my salary is gonna be like $5k/year because I’m gonna be working seasonally part time unloading plants at a greenhouse or something. Salary matters but only because I earn my living through labor so is my only way to build up net worth.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Billionaires, please finance this immediately.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

best of luck to them! I hope as many billionaires as possible succeed in their wildest dreams of exploration by going to Venus! 1 000 elites on Venus, let’s goooo, I believe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Frosted Flake posted:

I think Amazon has gotten worse. It's become impossible to know what edition of a book you're getting. I wanted a hardcover of Brideshead Revisited and the picture was of the Penguin edition, the hardcover was actually the softcover Back Bay Books edition, and they shipped the Little, Brown and Company edition.

It was just a novel I felt like reading, but holy gently caress can you imagine actually trying to get a book you need a specific edition, God forbid translation, of?

I tried to buy a new phone recently. New, not refurbished, not restored, not "new in box" condition. The used Samsung phone I bought earlier this year failed completely for no apparent reason, so I wanted something brand new with a warranty. Amazon made it impossible - no matter what search filters I used, it kept trying to point me to a used phone reseller. Eventually I went to Motorola's website, sorted by the largest discount, and bought the first one on the list. It's great.