Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

MacheteZombie posted:

If its possible, my suggestion is to make the blood drops flick on and off.

O you could go for a whole animated spray effect if you did it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I can understand if you're making like actual physical neon signs (or faux neon) how the extra teeth would be extra work. So I get the choice. But I do think as is the toothless bloody part just doesn't look like part of the non bloodless part of the blade.

I mean it would still work if that's what you wanna do. But part of my brain isn't accepting it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Deadite posted:

Fake neon, it’s made from LED lights but looks close enough for what I want. Here’s the barbenheimer sign I made last weekend, it’s almost as good as real neon but it doesn’t have that back glow from the round tube.

excellent. definitely post pics when you're done.

for what it's worth, i think it's fine without the teeth in the blood. breaks up the design nicely.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Two more options for the blood:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

A loving thousand times 2. Possibly with just a skosh more dribble.

Edit to be clear 1 is good too. I just think 2 is close to perfect.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 29, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Badass

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With all that blood, that Chainsaw's gonna rust badly.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Now I want to know how doctors dealt with that, given the chainsaw was invented as a medical tool.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Deadite posted:

Fake neon, it’s made from LED lights but looks close enough for what I want. Here’s the barbenheimer sign I made last weekend, it’s almost as good as real neon but it doesn’t have that back glow from the round tube.

Hey check your PMs I'm interested in a fake neon sign like that. Blue preferably. Something Vincent Price related?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Space Fish posted:

Now I want to know how doctors dealt with that, given the chainsaw was invented as a medical tool.

They probably... like... washed it?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Xiahou Dun posted:

A loving thousand times 2. Possibly with just a skosh more dribble.

Edit to be clear 1 is good too. I just think 2 is close to perfect.

This. If you could do drip on 2 it would be perfect but I recognize that might just be hard. But 2 is great. 1 is also great. I'd consider both bad rear end but probably pick 2.

BioEnchanted posted:

They probably... like... washed it?

Yeah there's also these metal things called swords and knives and scalpels. Its a solved problem.

Although you'd probably have to worry about blood getting into the motor or something.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

BioEnchanted posted:

The best jumpscares are when you hear at least one person yell "OH! gently caress OFF!" in the theatre because it means that they know that the jumpscare got them and they are embarrassed. I think that happened in a theatre that I went to but can't remember the movie. It may have even been something I was watching with my brother, I can't recall. Just that it's funny when it happens.

There's one I saw yesterday in Talk To Me that properly got the woman in the next row down from me, a fully-audible "loving HELL". :allears:

For those who have seen it, it was the first time Mia holds the hand and turns around and the ghost is looking straight down the camera. It's such a good scare.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

me and some friends went to see Scream (the original) on the big screen a while back, one of whom had never seen it before, and she let out a full on horror movie style scream at the fakeout scare when Sidney comes out of the house and Dewey's standing there holding the mask. absolutely made that screening for me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

me and some friends went to see Scream (the original) on the big screen a while back, one of whom had never seen it before, and she let out a full on horror movie style scream at the fakeout scare when Sidney comes out of the house and Dewey's standing there holding the mask. absolutely made that screening for me.

On a related thing when I went to see Lyle Lyle Crocodile, (purely out of curiosity, turned out better than I expected) there was one other person in the screening who was loudly reacting to the movie which should have been annoying (although to be fair I suspect he may have had a developmental issue) but it was kind of endearing as he was just really into the story.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I'm late to the jump scare talk, but have to admit the one that got me the most was in The Haunting of Hill House, when the ghost popped out screaming between the driver and passenger seat of the car. The conversation between the two sisters was so intense that I wasn't even thinking about spooky stuff, and the interior of a car was the last place I expected something like that to happen.

I was watching at a standing desk and actually jumped backwards then spun away, accidentally yanking the headphones off my head.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I'm late to the jump scare talk, but have to admit the one that got me the most was in The Haunting of Hill House, when the ghost popped out screaming between the driver and passenger seat of the car. The conversation between the two sisters was so intense that I wasn't even thinking about spooky stuff, and the interior of a car was the last place I expected something like that to happen.

I was watching at a standing desk and actually jumped backwards then spun away, accidentally yanking the headphones off my head.

For the Netflix version's sister series (The Haunting of Bly Manor) I loved the Doll jumpscare. No loud noises, or sudden camera tricks. Just a shot of the woman in the basement investigating from her point of view, then the camera shifts perspective to show what's to her right, completely unnoticed by her, and shows the audience a mountain of abandoned dolls. Then one of the doll's faces turns to follow her as she's leaving. So loving creepy, and it just relies on the audience reacting to the new information in that shot - you naturally are looking at the dolls because they are new information, then one of them moves, silently but noticeably and it really shits you up.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Deadite posted:

the second is amazing

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
2 is where it’s at

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Deadite posted:

You're really onto something here. I echo those giving the nod to 2.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’m voting 1 but with a straighter blood line. The zig zag is too severe. I think 2 looks too busy

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

2 but could I get a blood drop pls

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

This. If you could do drip on 2 it would be perfect but I recognize that might just be hard. But 2 is great. 1 is also great. I'd consider both bad rear end but probably pick 2.

Yeah there's also these metal things called swords and knives and scalpels. Its a solved problem.

Although you'd probably have to worry about blood getting into the motor or something.

Early medical chainsaws didn’t have motors yet. It was the 1790’s so it was hand-cranked like an egg-beater made of nightmares.

Long before anyone had miniaturized motors enough that you could do that they’d been replaced by the hilariously names Gigli saw, which is similar but distinct. It was basically a razor sharp wire with two handles that you wrap around the unfortunate person and sort of… do the twist at them until they don’t have a leg anymore.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 29, 2023

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

2 looks really sick.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m trying to understand the idea of a chainsaw that doesn’t have blood in it

It’s not working

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

So while most people wouldn't exactly call it horror, I watched The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, And Her Lover last night and I would say there's enough horror elements in it (especially the last act and finale, holy poo poo) to appeal to this thread. It's a slow burn and deeply tragic but if you want some all-timer sleazebag performances and some gorgeous music and sets and a sharp triumphant ending (and plenty of sex and violence) do yourself a favor and check it out. I feel like if you liked The Menu you'll really like this, and if you're like me and found The Menu to be a little disappointing despite the premise this might scratch the itch.

I highly recommend Baby of Macon by Peter Greenaway too.

edit: Jump scare deep cut, the mirror scene in What Lies Beneath. Robert Zemeckis is some sort of mirror wizard.

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 29, 2023

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Finally got around to watching Spiral: From the Book of Saw because I figured I'll be watching Saw X in the fall so might as well get caught up.

I liked it, I'd place it in the upper half of the Saw films. Chris Rock did a far better job than I expected in a horror film and the story/script came up with a very basic mystery reveal rather than just add to the complicated lore that is the Saw series. I mean, it isn't the most clever reveal of all time but it's a gently caress-ton better than the convoluted messes the series is known for.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think it's important to note that you can have the chain blink off and on, and if you make two of them at different rotations it will blink as if it's moving.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Money just came in from the Icelandic Film Fund. Next few weeks will be spent on meetings and emails putting together a short film to use to pitch a Monster of the Week show to a production company. Probably shooting late August or early September.

Deadite posted:

Love this.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 29, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

I think it's important to note that you can have the chain blink off and on, and if you make two of them at different rotations it will blink as if it's moving.

And it could be on the same circuit as another chunk of red “splatter” too.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

feedmyleg posted:

If I had any idea how to do that I would give it a shot. I've never made an animated sign but I would like to.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
When I was doing neon-ish signs for a project, I used these. They have blinking patterns built in. No idea if you can rewire those sort of boxes to work with your system, but an idea!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Deadite posted:

If I had any idea how to do that I would give it a shot. I've never made an animated sign but I would like to.

You'd just need a double throw switch on a timer. It lights one loop, then the switch flips and it lights the second, switch flips back, etc. I don't know your set-up, but it's gotta have power coming in somewhere and you just put the switch between that and the actual loops. Switches are total nothing part, you can even get them crazy cheap if you get them in bulk.

I think. I'm doing this from first principles.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Justin Godscock posted:

Finally got around to watching Spiral: From the Book of Saw because I figured I'll be watching Saw X in the fall so might as well get caught up.

I liked it, I'd place it in the upper half of the Saw films. Chris Rock did a far better job than I expected in a horror film and the story/script came up with a very basic mystery reveal rather than just add to the complicated lore that is the Saw series. I mean, it isn't the most clever reveal of all time but it's a gently caress-ton better than the convoluted messes the series is known for.

Yeah, I was very/pleasantly surprised with how Chris did in that setting

Saw X trailer's expected to be released online sometime tonight, already getting rave reviews from people who saw it at the festival :getin:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I've already heard the words "loving disgusting" about the clip of Saw X the panel got to see, so we're back in this, folks.

Trailer apparently drops in 10 minutes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I've already heard the words "loving disgusting" about the clip of Saw X the panel got to see, so we're back in this, folks.

Trailer apparently drops in 10 minutes.

Gimme that trailer

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Gimme that trailer

Ask and ye shall receive.

https://twitter.com/Saw/status/1685440181057486848

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

OOOOOOOH YEAH WE'RE BACK BABY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3PzUo4P21c

:getin: GET THE gently caress IN

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i only ever saw one of the middle saw movies when i was like still a teen... but that trailer is a lot of fun maybe i should do a full marathon.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, I've saw them all at least once, but I'm tempted to do a big refresh watchthrough of all of them, cuz that trailer has me in the mood for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I did a full marathon a couple of years ago and man that was a stupid repetitive drag.