Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol at how many people in here completely missed the entire idea that hypothetical venusian colonies would be in their atmosphere, not on its surface

cute that you think hubris won’t make them gently caress up along the way. wish i could be that optimistic and naive again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol at how many people in here completely missed the entire idea that hypothetical venusian colonies would be in their atmosphere, not on its surface

they'll end up on the surface just like that sub ended up on the ocean floor

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

this slime's solution was "there's people choosing not to work, we've got to make them less comfortable" the immiserate the already miserable plan just utterly incapable

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1685567351779950592?s=20

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Convincing a whole bunch of suckers that mass produced luxury goods were an "investment" was quite a good trick.

My headline would have been: First beanie babies, now rolexes

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DancingShade posted:

Convincing a whole bunch of suckers that mass produced luxury goods were an "investment" was quite a good trick.

My headline would have been: First beanie babies, now rolexes

i can't believe demand is falling for mechanically impressive but ultimately useless stuff

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Palladium posted:

i can't believe demand is falling for mechanically impressive but ultimately useless stuff

Someone out there has a room full of louise vutton shoes or whatever thinking they're going to get rich off flipping them in ten years time.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Those watch freaks should have bought NFTs, digital land, rated vhs cassettes, and my dick

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

DancingShade posted:

Someone out there has a room full of louise vutton shoes or whatever thinking they're going to get rich off flipping them in ten years time.

Do those hold up better than the “collector” sneakers that start disintegrating after a year?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
if you’ve got an old Rolex it’s probably still valuable. I saw one worth 100k on antiques roadshow recently!

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

lol at paying million for something that tells the time

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

In my last meeting with Rheinmetall people the watches any one of them were wearing must have cost $20k. It was obscene.

Also, wtf shouldn't they have German watches?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

a predatory loan company self-googled and then registered on SA to lie

Pauzible_cs posted:

Addressing some of the queries raised in the thread earlier on Pauzible
1. Third parties can own a share of homeowner equity without affecting their mortgage contracts. The concept of home equity sharing agreement has been in existence in the US since 2004 across multiple providers.

2. It is not a home equity loan or a HELOC, in fact it is not debt. A home equity loan or HELOC requires you to pay interest and principal back. Whereas at Pauzible, homeowners who have sufficient equity in their home would be able to tap into this home equity without taking on additional debt - by letting Pauzible invest in the equity in their homes in return for receiving funds.
Pauzible would receive a return on their investment in the owner's home only at the time the homeowner sells, or refinances or buys their equity share out anytime within a 10 year window or immediately after.
If the value of their home appreciates, Pauzible would be sharing in that gain. If not, Pauzible would make less, or even lose money.

3. The objective of the lien on the property is to make sure that Pauzible's rights in the home equity sharing agreement are protected and that owners are not able to sell or refinance the property without Pauzible being notified and Pauzible's share being realized.

Hope this clarifies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
lmao

e: [Doomsday Economics] "Hope this clarifies"

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

is pepsi ok posted:

I read recently that more than 1 in 5 Americans personally know someone who died of covid and now we all just pretend like it never happened.

I don't know personally folks who carked it, but there is a lot of sequalae in my net friend groups which is why I am so cautious about it, because that poo poo will ruin my life in ways that may well be the end of it.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
It's a reverse mortgage but for equity loans ???

House worth dumb money, scammer gets a lein for 30% of dumb.

House value goes down, your lein is still for $dumb, if yours House sells for less than $dumb, don't YOU lose the money equal to the difference ?

Can a lein be for more than the home's value ?

This all sounds terrible and I hope they fail

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

It's a reverse mortgage but for equity loans ???

House worth dumb money, scammer gets a lein for 30% of dumb.

House value goes down, your lein is still for $dumb, if yours House sells for less than $dumb, don't YOU lose the money equal to the difference ?

Can a lein be for more than the home's value ?

This all sounds terrible and I hope they fail

They're also committing blatant fraud since, by definition, it's debt if there's a lien on the property (since equity would have to no right to slap a lien).

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Jon Irenicus posted:

hmm an 800k fully furnished former AirBnB Superhost listed for over four months with three prices cuts and an increasingly desperate tone.

listen if you’re going to mention treats you should share them with the group

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

failed society.

Jul 30, 2023
queenagers, all 3 of them, in your office, in the year 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pauzible sounds like the name of a demon from the Lesser Key of Solomon

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Egg Moron posted:

Those watch freaks should have bought NFTs, digital land, rated vhs cassettes, and my dick

My dick has a better ROR than a Tag Hauer.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

SKULL.GIF posted:

a predatory loan company self-googled and then registered on SA to lie

Layering even more I Can't Believe It's Not Usury bullshit on top of already hilarious housing prices is how we're going to try to keep the party going

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's utility in something like a diver's watch or a solar quartz watch but you still shouldn't need five figures to tell the time

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

precious metals shall not touch these wrists

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Expensive watches are just jewelry for men who can't admit they want to wear jewelry. The time-telling is beside the point.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

i hate these loving company names and want to personally strangle whoever comes up with them

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

pauzible my neg hole

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

palindrome posted:

oh is that why they are floating? wow these guys are smarter than I thought. turns out the surface of venus is rather unhospitable

"Before Eden" by Arthur C Clarke is a short story from 61 years ago if you want to imagine what will happen the instant humans touch another planet

e: Plot Summary - wikification version
Jerry Garfield, engineer-navigator, Graham Hutchins, a biologist, and George Coleman, a scientist, have travelled to Venus on the spaceship Morning Star, and are exploring, in a scout car, the surface of Venus. Above are permanent unbroken clouds. They are on the Hesperian Plateau, hoping to reach the South Pole. Thirty miles from the pole, their progress is stopped by an escarpment. They see a dried-up waterfall on the cliff ahead, evidence of lakes above: they realize that here, on a plateau near the pole, the temperature is low enough for rain, although it will be boiling. Garfield reminds the others that "wherever life has the slightest chance of surviving, you'll find it. This is the only chance it's ever had on Venus."

Garfield and Hutchins leave the car and, wearing their thermosuits, climb the escarpment. They follow a dry river bed and reach a lake, the first free water found on Venus. What seems to be a horizontal patch of black rock at the edge of the lake is moving. The plant, or colony of plants, seems to be approaching them, but retreats when they move forward, a reaction to the heat expelled from the thermosuits' refrigeration units. Hutchins takes samples and photographs of the moving carpet, and speculates on its nature. They erect a pressurized tent and relax; "the true wonder and importance of the discovery forced itself upon their minds". The explorers are beset by fatigue, and enjoy a fruitful session of elimination, packing their excrement into plastic bags and burying them finger-deep into the soil as regulated by the British Astronautic Exploration Division's protocols governing exobiology.

There is a short final section, like an epilogue, with a detached viewpoint: After Garfield and Hutchins have left, the organism reaches the abandoned encampment and absorbs the organic material from the human waste, cigarette ends and paper cups; bacteria and viruses begin to kill it. "Beneath the clouds of Venus, the story of Creation was ended."

The sun is like a flower
That blooms for just one hour

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

imagine you can’t sell your house for healthcare when you are 78 because a student loan company took the equity

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

imagine you can’t sell your house for healthcare when you are 78 because a student loan company took the equity

dark brandon stays winning

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

euphronius posted:

Lol trying to imagine having a house

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 30 minutes!

Chamale posted:

I tried to buy a new phone recently. New, not refurbished, not restored, not "new in box" condition. The used Samsung phone I bought earlier this year failed completely for no apparent reason, so I wanted something brand new with a warranty. Amazon made it impossible - no matter what search filters I used, it kept trying to point me to a used phone reseller. Eventually I went to Motorola's website, sorted by the largest discount, and bought the first one on the list. It's great.

Yeah for expensive electronics I go to the manufacturer's website. Using Amazon less and less these days.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

Expensive watches are just jewelry for men who can't admit they want to wear jewelry. The time-telling is beside the point.
this is mostly correct, but particularly it's wealth flair jewelry.

all the goons going "wtf rich people pay a million dollars to tell the time??!?" are completely missing the point and have terminal value brain. it's completely irrelevant. it's just simple status symbol like a giant diamond ring to show off wealth.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 19:00 on Jul 30, 2023

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

the problem with expensive watches is that most of them look like poo poo

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
a status symbol to show how much wealth you've stolen from others

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

RealityWarCriminal posted:

a status symbol to show how much wealth you've stolen from others

that's what wealth is

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Popoto posted:

cute that you think hubris won’t make them gently caress up along the way. wish i could be that optimistic and naive again

nice reading comprehension

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
well yeah
they don't realize just how off putting those kinds of displays are to people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Prices going up sizes going down lol *puts blindfold on* everything is ftw! i can't heaaaar you :D