Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

carbrain is real. yesterday I was driving to pick up my kids from the inlaws and paused at a left turn because there was a cyclist just behind me on the left in the cycle lane. because I had come to a stop in the road the guy behind me went loving ballistic leaning on the horn and waving his arms and going red in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

kecske posted:

carbrain is real. yesterday I was driving to pick up my kids from the inlaws and paused at a left turn because there was a cyclist just behind me on the left in the cycle lane. because I had come to a stop in the road the guy behind me went loving ballistic leaning on the horn and waving his arms and going red in the face.

I had places to be.

Scientastic posted:

I’m a bit late to the Starlink chat, but the real reason it’s bad is because it is completely unnecessary and uses vast amounts of resources to do something that no-one really needs.

Edit: I am old enough to remember a time before the internet, so I am still impressed when my computer starts up in less than 10 minutes and I don’t need to wait for a phone line to be free to get online.

Right. So because 25 years ago the internet wasn't very good. people that live in rural areas unserved by any other fast broadband should not take advantage of a reasonably priced product that gives them it? Yeah, Nah.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kecske posted:

Every day I get more & more certain that cars are at the root of most of humanities problems. Everyone in their little metal bubble, completely detached from all other people. Drivers make 4chan users seem well adjusted members of society in comparison. There's a reason that Thatcher said what she did about buses; the car encourages her deranged world view

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

kingturnip posted:

Rishi Sunak ordering a review into LTNs because he wants to support people to use their cars is pathetic.

Between him and Starmer, there's going to be so much pandering to Telegraph readers before May, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them offers to burn down every shred of forest in the country to maximise the acreage for vineyards.

The people want to inhale particulates and to have their child flattened by a 2200kg SUV.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1685582472262602752

"anti-motorist Labour" lmao

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I had places to be.

Right. So because 25 years ago the internet wasn't very good. people that live in rural areas unserved by any other fast broadband should not take advantage of a reasonably priced product that gives them it? Yeah, Nah.

All things have trade offs, government should subsidise broadband Internet for rural communities. Starlink is not the solution to the problem.

Edit: and the comparison to internet speeds 25 years ago wasn’t to say that rural communities should be happy to have dial-up, it was to point out that 600ms latency is not a problem for almost everyone in the world

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 30, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Starlink's "reasonable price" is either basically a Ponzi scheme, or trying to get people dependent on it so they can drastically raise prices once you have no other choice. It's a money black hole for Elon right now, and that means he'd rather it be a money black hole for you

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Thanks for reaffirming my point Rishi you twat

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Sitting in a car that would have to pay the new pollution fines, pretending the carbon dioxide smell is the evil aura of Thatcher.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
In the grim darkness of the 2020s, there is only culture war

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I only recently learned to drive and I have to say I really enjoy it, calling people schmohawks and jabronis for driving like cowards and all. I like when I’m coming onto the motorway and have to get up to speed and go VRRROOOOOOM that’s the best bit. If I’m feeling lethargic it always gets me going too. That said, no reason to drive in a city centre if you can possibly avoid it

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

forkboy84 posted:

Every day I get more & more certain that cars are at the root of most of humanities problems. Everyone in their little metal bubble, completely detached from all other people. Drivers make 4chan users seem well adjusted members of society in comparison. There's a reason that Thatcher said what she did about buses; the car encourages her deranged world view

Blowing up cars is a net good and this is why Elon Musk should be regarded as a hero.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Labour will now respond with a new policy where cyclists have to give way to cars at all times and also doff their caps

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

keep punching joe posted:

Blowing up cars is a net good and this is why Elon Musk should be regarded as a hero.

Blowing up all the satellites and confining humanity to the planet would also be a net good for the galaxy.

Destroying Twitter is a genuinely heroic act.

Elon is good but for the wrong, accidental reasons.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Scientastic posted:

I’m a bit late to the Starlink chat, but the real reason it’s bad is because it is completely unnecessary and uses vast amounts of resources to do something that no-one really needs.

Super fast low-latency internet is an absolute luxury and laggy (600ms, holy loving poo poo) satellite internet that only uses three satellites and currently costs a lot of money is a much better use of finite resources than launching 42,000 bits of short-lived junk into the sky. Starlink is not a long term solution to anything, it’s a way to make a quick buck, gently caress the consequences.

The money and resources being used to get Starlink up and running, much like everything Musk does, could be a far better employed elsewhere and make a material difference to people’s lives.

Elon Musk is a complete piece of poo poo who has somehow PRed his way into making people think he’s one of the good guys. No billionaire is one of the good guys, and if you make an exception for Elon Musk, you probably need to critically evaluate why that is.

Edit: I am old enough to remember a time before the internet, so I am still impressed when my computer starts up in less than 10 minutes and I don’t need to wait for a phone line to be free to get online.

50% of the worlds population lives without terrestrial telecoms coverage due to geography and that isn’t changing without satcoms

is this just a an elon musk culture war thing or do people have strong opinions about the other mega constellations? what’s the intuition about something like e.g. Lightspeed?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Sign my petition demanding NASA send up satellites that fire claymores and shotguns in every direction. If you do it right you can deflect some sunlight too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rustybear posted:

is this just a an elon musk culture war thing

The fact that this is where your mind goes is indicative

It's not "a culture war thing" to point out that Elon Musk is a scam artist with a history of making GBS threads out jazzed-up futuristic sounding non-solutions to problems that deliberately suck all the money and attention away from real things. Whenever he's finally forced to produce something, it's a complete disaster held together with glue and a prayer to ceiling cat

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Rustybear posted:

50% of the worlds population lives without terrestrial telecoms coverage due to geography and that isn’t changing without satcoms

is this just a an elon musk culture war thing or do people have strong opinions about the other mega constellations? what’s the intuition about something like e.g. Lightspeed?

Any low earth orbit internet is a waste of resources, higher orbital planes give perfectly good Internet for 99% of applications without needing literally thousands of launches into space. The benefits of low earth orbit satellite Internet are vastly outweighed by the negatives, and the negatives of higher orbit satellite systems are vastly outweighed by not having to poo poo up our planet even more than we already have to cut down on a few milliseconds of latency.

High speed satellite internet is not being done to service the huge numbers of people with NO internet, a slightly slower, cheaper service would still be a huge improvement on what currently exists, would be easier to maintain as a long term solution and has a lower initial outlay. Governments should provide it as a service or heavily subsidise it to make it cheaper.

Edit: the fact that Elon Musk, who has a track record of loving stupid ideas that make everything worse, thinks it’s a good thing should give you a clue that it’s not.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 30, 2023

Watch It Burn
Apr 8, 2009

Scientastic posted:

I’m a bit late to the Starlink chat, but the real reason it’s bad is because it is completely unnecessary and uses vast amounts of resources to do something that no-one really needs..

Once again I hate to defend Elon Musk, but this isn't true.

My company has multiple sites in the middle of nowhere and the internet choices are mobile data that hardly works or Starlink.

The people on site need a solid and reasonably quick connection, as there can be 100+ personnel on site at anytime, constantly moving large amounts of data between their site and the document management system we use. A 4G router doesn't cut it (trust me, I can still hear the angry calls telling me this).

I'd love to buy something that works as well for the same price to fulfil this need, but it doesn't exist. And Openreach are dragging their heels a bit when it comes to getting fixed line connections to these areas.

Getting high speed comms to remote areas is absolutely a thing people need, and at the moment Starlink do it best for the cheapest price.

And yes I do feel a bit a grubby for typing that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jakabite posted:

I only recently learned to drive and I have to say I really enjoy it, calling people schmohawks and jabronis for driving like cowards and all. I like when I’m coming onto the motorway and have to get up to speed and go VRRROOOOOOM that’s the best bit. If I’m feeling lethargic it always gets me going too. That said, no reason to drive in a city centre if you can possibly avoid it

It wears off when you're doing that twice a day every day. Driving can be pleasant if you're doing it somewhere nobody else is, but by definition a car dependent society is mostly doing it all at the same time on roads that are as monotonous as possible to minimise the chances of severe collisions.

I really wish I didn't have to drive, one of the things I am most dreading is having to do it a lot more for the new job.

Also my bellend boss had me chauffer him into newcastle city center because he didn't want to walk four minutes from the metro station, knobhead that he is. loving hate being sat on my arse all day in a loving car.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 30, 2023

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

From reading the Ukraine thread, Starlink is apparently being heavily used by the Ukraine forces against the Russians, which is a net good. The problem is supposedly there was evidence Elon was putting limits on not letting Ukranian troops use it when they crossed from Ukraines boarders into Russias.
The idea is to stop a war to defend your country expanding into a war of conquest.
Which, when you are fighting to take back parts of your country that have been illegally annexed, becomes very problematic.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Starlink works well, that's undeniable. If it didn't the Ukrainian army wouldn't be sucking up to Musk to keep it.

The question is more "if you weren't subsiding it with Elon Musk Money, is it the most sensible solution?". I don't know the answer to that, but anyone who isn't a satellite/telecomms engineer probably doesn't. And rich people spending too much money building infrastructure is how we got Railways, so it can be a long-term good anyways.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really do not think Ukraine is going to conquer Russia no matter how much internet you give them.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Starlink works well, that's undeniable. If it didn't the Ukrainian army wouldn't be sucking up to Musk to keep it.

The question is more "if you weren't subsiding it with Elon Musk Money, is it the most sensible solution?". I don't know the answer to that, but anyone who isn't a satellite/telecomms engineer probably doesn't. And rich people spending too much money building infrastructure is how we got Railways, so it can be a long-term good anyways.

I mean, railways don't fall out of space after 5 years, they're by definition pretty stable infrastructure once built, so I think that's a pretty big difference. This is more like calling uber "infrastructure" like technically yes, but it's not what you'd call sustainable.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's arguably a culture war thing to point out that Elon Musk is a nazi who gives the money he makes (from you, Elon Musk customers) to other nazis and also gives money to pedophiles (but I repeat myself), but if that's the case, then sign me up for the 41st Flying Nazipedo Pointers

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Watch It Burn posted:

Getting high speed comms to remote areas is absolutely a thing people need, and at the moment Starlink do it best for the cheapest price.

And that sounds great, for you, at the moment. But it just reminds me of disabled people saying that Uber gives them freedom (in car-dependent hellscapes) that they didn't have before. Yes it's great for them in that moment, but it relies first on VCs subsidising drivers and riders, then rugpulling the drivers and having them subsidise the riders, and then eventually jacking up the prices once the taxis are out of business and everyone's dependent on them.

Aka Cory Doctorow's "enshittification" cycle.

And also encourages the public (or public-ish) providers (public transport, Openreach) to go "oh well we don't need to expand to here, they've already got [Silicon Valley thing]"

---

Just in general, and I'm not an internet engineering guy so I'm happy to be corrected, but how can it possibly be more cost-effective to launch and maintain tens of thousands of satellites, rather than just running fibre to the places that are "unprofitable" to serve? (thinking of rural permanent places here rather than "doing work on a random hill for a few weeks" though)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It can’t but that’s not as exciting for tech bros

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Watch It Burn posted:

Openreach are dragging their heels a bit when it comes to getting fixed line connections to these areas.

It’s almost like infrastructure shouldn’t be in private hands, and if the government were serious about getting Internet to rural areas, they would do something about getting fixed lines in where it’s feasible.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/christiancalgie/status/1682454892068196354

https://twitter.com/I_amMukhtar/status/1685626151262130177

:allears:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Lmao they actually have a segment called "BACK IN THE DAY" :corsair:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Do they have a Newsround equivalent called "Kids These Days"?

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Blowing up all the satellites and confining humanity to the planet would also be a net good for the galaxy.

Destroying Twitter is a genuinely heroic act.

Elon is good but for the wrong, accidental reasons.
Just like how the Righteous Persons Foundation refuses to recognize the man who heroically shot Hitler in the head.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

For internet i find it a pity that Loon LLC was shut down: balloons at 11mi to16 mi altitude delivering internet access, but lots of things touched by Google get cancelled. :rolleyes:

My internet went from 1.6Mbps(copper wire with Sky) to 96Mbps(Fibrus) a few months ago when we finally got fibre in the area.
I've read that their after sales service can be quite poo poo but i got my system installed two days after signing up and haven't had any hassle so far.

Btw, internet withdrawal is a thing. :derp:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Do they have a Newsround equivalent called "Kids These Days"?

Just like how the Righteous Persons Foundation refuses to recognize the man who heroically shot Hitler in the head.

This man in the bottom right refused to give the Nazi salute. In 1945, he was killed by Hitler himself.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

kecske posted:

Theres this notion amongst car drivers that every interaction is a real battle, so any time you demonstrate patience or have to exert any effort to let the other person go through is a sign of weakness and you must avoid this because that means you have lost.

I had someone recently demand that I reverse all the way down a road and turn into another road to make way for them, because they refused to reverse several feet to make way for me when I had right of way after they pulled out into a road where they could clearly see they had no room. They could have just sat there and it would have added maybe ten seconds to their journey, instead we were stuck there for several minutes because they had no patience to wait and refused to accept they might have hosed up. And its so loving stupid.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Scientastic posted:

Any low earth orbit internet is a waste of resources, higher orbital planes give perfectly good Internet for 99% of applications without needing literally thousands of launches into space. The benefits of low earth orbit satellite Internet are vastly outweighed by the negatives, and the negatives of higher orbit satellite systems are vastly outweighed by not having to poo poo up our planet even more than we already have to cut down on a few milliseconds of latency.

High speed satellite internet is not being done to service the huge numbers of people with NO internet, a slightly slower, cheaper service would still be a huge improvement on what currently exists, would be easier to maintain as a long term solution and has a lower initial outlay. Governments should provide it as a service or heavily subsidise it to make it cheaper.

Edit: the fact that Elon Musk, who has a track record of loving stupid ideas that make everything worse, thinks it’s a good thing should give you a clue that it’s not.

Well accessibility is front and centre of the business case for all these service operators and will remain so, you’ll never be able to complete with buried fibre in the developed areas of the world so de facto accessibility remains the core of the investment case

Re leo, how are you putting a gnodeb or equiv into a higher orbit? And without direct to handset service you need a feeder link and a terminal and all that additional expense (and weight on the payload). OW gen1 spent more on developing the terminal and the ground stations than it did on the constellation, its genuinely gamechanging

No idea why you’ve taken against a particular orbit configuration, especially one where the boogeyman issue you keep coming back to actually easier to manage in lower orbits lol

I get that elon musk is a prick but this is like arguing against the concept of EVs due to Tesla

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

elon is mental and I would not tweet bad things about teslas as he absolutely would spend a few hours of his really important time to victimize some nobody in the uk that whined about the very definite phantom braking for example and brick their tesla out of spite.
Not even a few hours, he just needs to quote tweet it with 'lol' and by the end of the day the most deranged mob on the internet will be bombarding them with death threats.

"How important cars are for families to live their lives" why might that be Rishi? Might it be because the woman who's van you're sat in hosed the trains, and the buses, and atomised society, and centralised everything in london? Could it possibly be that?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, electric cars are a bad thing because they are a product first and foremost and still have the vast majority of the issues of fossil fuel cars, which exchanging the resource problems for different ones, so that seems like a good comparison. We will strip mine the world to make batteries for electric cars before anybody considers that we have a fuel efficient way to move people around and it's called "a bus" or "a train"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gorn Myson posted:

Theres this notion amongst car drivers that every interaction is a real battle, so any time you demonstrate patience or have to exert any effort to let the other person go through is a sign of weakness and you must avoid this because that means you have lost.
"M25"
"You sunk my battleshit!"

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Gorn Myson posted:

I had someone recently demand that I reverse all the way down a road and turn into another road to make way for them, because they refused to reverse several feet to make way for me when I had right of way after they pulled out into a road where they could clearly see they had no room. They could have just sat there and it would have added maybe ten seconds to their journey, instead we were stuck there for several minutes because they had no patience to wait and refused to accept they might have hosed up. And its so loving stupid.

It's also "anything that prevents me from doing exactly what I want in my car is someone else's fault".
You can see this on UK dashcam videos - someone'll be doing 60 MPH, another driver ~70 yards away will pull into the road, and rather than braking to accommodate the car that is now in front of them, they'll accelerate past the speed limit and swerve onto the other side of the road to pass them. Probably while calling them a oval office. And then think submit the video because they were clearly in the right.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

I think you're right. In the 'wave a magic wand and implement one policy' scenario, banning private cars from urban areas and funnelling all taxes and spending related to them into public/shared transport would probably yield one of the greatest social improvements. As you say, the downstream improvements caused by the shift in mindset that would result would almost certainly be incredible.

happyhippy posted:

Sitting in a car that would have to pay the new pollution fines, pretending the carbon dioxide smell is the evil aura of Thatcher.

Ironically, Thatcher's old Rover P5 would be exempt from the ULEZ (and the congestion charge) by being over 40 years old.

I always love it when car-brained boomers unironically post descriptions/pictures of idealised non-car-centric 15M urban landscapes and act like they're viewing a combination of Magnitogorsk in 1979 and the Seventh Circle of Hell.

"This [tree-lined, sustainable pedestrianised public space where all amenities are accessible to all within a short distance in a safe, quiet, attractive and civic-minded urban landscape] is what Khan wants!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The problem is that while I am the perfect driver: patient, courteous, observant and competent, everyone else on the road is a deranged moron who won their license off a scratch card.