Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the funny thing is that PCMR was coined by the zero punctuation guy as a sarcastic derogatory term for elitist PC gamers, and redditors immediately went ”lol that's me" and started using it unironically

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, PCMR’s domain name is kinda unfortunate then

oh yeah that's absolutely what it's supposed to stand for, but LTT themselves seem to be deliberately not acknowledging it

repiv fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

the hardware company "Glorious PC Gaming Race" did eventually cave and rebrand to just "Glorious" at least

I still have a mouse with the original branding :negative:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

njsykora posted:

There's been a concerted effort from some people to get that term used again, I've seen it popping up more and more in tech videos especially. I'd argue though that the hardcore PC gamer types never did accept that the term is poo poo and elitist. It feels like it's going to resurface to distinguish the people who use "real" PCs (ie, DIY desktops) from the filthy Fortnite playing casuals using handhelds and cheap prebuilts.

I have a custom/self built gaming rig that I use to play Fortnite, gently caress those guys.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

repiv posted:

the funny thing is that PCMR was coined by the zero punctuation guy as a sarcastic derogatory term for elitist PC gamers, and redditors immediately went ”lol that's me" and started using it unironically

I feel like most of the people who built the PCMR reddit were in on the joke and had some self-aware irony. Like they knew it was sarcastic and rolled with it. Keep in mind this was 2011-2012 when PC gaming was just barely starting to turn around from the absolute doldrums it was in for most of the 360 years.

The PCMR reddit has always seemed pretty decent to me. They remove lovely brand flamewar stuff and push high-quality reviews like GN and stuff. (PCMR are the people who started the Tech Jesus meme.) The name has been rendered unfunny by the rest of the world, but people are projecting a whole lot of bad intent just from that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

if only you could rename a subreddit, they're kind of stuck with that name forever unless they go to the extreme length of deleting the sub and starting over in a new one

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Klyith posted:

The name has been rendered unfunny by the rest of the world, but people are projecting a whole lot of bad intent just from that.

In on the joke or not, imagine someone asking you what your shirt means and having to explain it

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

repiv posted:

if only you could rename a subreddit, they're kind of stuck with that name forever unless they go to the extreme length of deleting the sub and starting over in a new one

Yeah, though also they don't want to change their name and react defensively about it being bad. So if you wanna say that's a strike against them, fair point.

Personally, I hang out on a website that had a much worse relationship with actual slurs more recently than 2011. So I don't see a lot of good places to throw stones from in this here glass house.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

repiv posted:

the hardware company "Glorious PC Gaming Race" did eventually cave and rebrand to just "Glorious" at least

I kinda wish they got rid of the weird Nordic man in their logo because that combined with master race always left an awful taste in my mouth

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug
Oh my god, nobody uses PCMR seriously, it is always ironic and self deprecating.
Also none is secretly gassing console jews. It is and has always been just a loving joke! Nothing more nothing less

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
It's a lovely, cringe inducing joke.. so of course LTT latched onto it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

when I think “ubermensch” I think “Linus Sebastian”

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Arivia posted:

The elitism is one thing but calling a consumer technology choice the "master race" is pretty loving cringe while nazi poo poo just keeps getting higher and higher. It shouldn't be acceptable at all.

P much.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 26, 2023

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Console Wars ftw, folks

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I think I know why PC World Gordon rubs me the wrong way - he reminds me of me and the parts I don’t like about me

:negative:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://youtu.be/51foBSsRpJk?t=618

Linus lands a decent joke at 10:19

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

buglord posted:

I think I know why PC World Gordon rubs me the wrong way - he reminds me of me and the parts I don’t like about me

:negative:

he's a very powerful man. uses his gift to make nerds suffer and safely deposit his yelling into the void to prevent further damage

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

GN continues to do ridiculous things for minor benefit, building an anechoic chamber for case reviews. I think this stuff is cool but I really want to just get to the Terra review already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUqYTenB2A0

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

njsykora posted:

GN continues to do ridiculous things for minor benefit, building an anechoic chamber for case reviews. I think this stuff is cool but I really want to just get to the Terra review already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUqYTenB2A0

They also had a smaller anechoic box that was used once. I hope they don't pull a AvE with incredibly expensive kit used for stuff that doesn't warrant it(also becoming an incredibly abrasive chud).

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 30, 2023

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i look forward to ltt building a sound chamber in the next 18 months

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

They also had a smaller anechoic box that was used once. I hope they don't pull a AvE with incredibly expensive kit used for stuff that doesn't warrant it(also becoming an incredibly abrasive chud).

Yeah I remember them making a big deal over that thing, also the fan tester that I don't think has been used ever except as a prop in one of the disappointment build intros. I just don't see the point in building an anechoic chamber for case reviews, it's not a relevant test to real world performance and feels like Steve is buying too much into the image of GN as the ones holding manufacturer claims to account (while making extended promotional films for them like the AMD one and upcoming Nvidia one).

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

SlowBloke posted:

They also had a smaller anechoic box that was used once.

I'm pretty sure they got that one for cheap, it was sold as surplus from some bigco in the area IIRC. They used it for the Steam Deck review I think but turned out to be too small to really do much else with.

njsykora posted:

I just don't see the point in building an anechoic chamber for case reviews, it's not a relevant test to real world performance
Disagree, lower noise floor just lets you measure more accurately in general.

The fan tester is a puzzle though, I don't know why they haven't used that more. For a while they were saying they needed to really understand it properly before they published anything but that was years ago at this point.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Have they ever used that fan tester to test fans yet?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

njsykora posted:

Yeah I remember them making a big deal over that thing, also the fan tester that I don't think has been used ever except as a prop in one of the disappointment build intros. I just don't see the point in building an anechoic chamber for case reviews, it's not a relevant test to real world performance and feels like Steve is buying too much into the image of GN as the ones holding manufacturer claims to account (while making extended promotional films for them like the AMD one and upcoming Nvidia one).
Isn't' that the thing that pops up at 1m49 in the video? So it's been a prop at least twice...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wonder if this will get them to do their noise normalized cooler testing at a quieter level. Though maybe not because that would mean throwing away all the old data.

The issue is that setting it so high can obscure the difference in noise profiles at the ranges you’d actually want to use your cooler at.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

TheFluff posted:

The fan tester is a puzzle though, I don't know why they haven't used that more. For a while they were saying they needed to really understand it properly before they published anything but that was years ago at this point.

They call out the fan tester as component to this whole sound chamber thing, they couldn't get the fan testing going until this was done

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
They're also still a (relatively) small team.

Getting in and installing new equipment, understanding how it works, then developing a testing methodology that makes sense, gives you the data you care about, is repeatable, and is easily teachable/troubleshot by employees old and new takes quite a lot of time on top of all the regular GN output.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Phone posted:

i look forward to ltt building a sound chamber in the next 18 months

I think they already have one?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They built a radio frequency isolation chamber I think but not a proper sound chamber? $250k is an insane number and I don't think Linus has gone that hard on sound testing yet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What does MKBHD do, other than Youtube review videos? I'm wondering about his lavish lifestyle, especially after his Tesla solar video.

Which also had some other impressive figures. He said he used 6500kWh of electricity in May alone. A two adult two kids household is estimated to use between 3000-5000kWh a year over here in Central Europe. Yeah, I know Tesla car and AC, but still.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the sets for his youtube videos are pretty elaborate. other than his main channel, i think there's just the car channel and his podcast (since everyone has podcast these days)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

What does MKBHD do, other than Youtube review videos? I'm wondering about his lavish lifestyle, especially after his Tesla solar video.

Which also had some other impressive figures. He said he used 6500kWh of electricity in May alone. A two adult two kids household is estimated to use between 3000-5000kWh a year over here in Central Europe. Yeah, I know Tesla car and AC, but still.

All of these tech youtubers have ridiculous "smart" homes(/mansions) where every little thing is electric and always on. I'm watching his video now because I'm also curious about home solar, and he just mentioned his HVAC is 5000W... per unit. Which means he has at least two. Dude lives in a mansion that probably costs a fortune to cool during the warmer months (unless you can turn your entire roof into a solar panel, apparently).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

scrolling back through MKBHDs channel is a trip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gk_rl3y_SU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

repiv posted:

scrolling back through MKBHDs channel is a trip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gk_rl3y_SU

for a first video, it has remarkably few awkward pauses

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I actually love doing that on huge channels, mostly to see if they’ve been cowards and deleted really early videos that don’t fit their current style. One day Tom Scott will delete Ultra Light Pancakes or the Northern Nocturnal Cracker Consumption Championships or The Matt Gray High Five Face Off and it’ll be sad.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mr. beasts is good because you can see him iterating through different forms of clickbait like an engagement optimizing robot until one stuck

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

repiv posted:

mr. beasts is good because you can see him iterating through different forms of clickbait like an engagement optimizing robot until one stuck

For a second I thought you meant LA Beast and the robot dance he does when in distress

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

For a second I thought you meant LA Beast and the robot dance he does when in distress

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FuturePastNow posted:

Have they ever used that fan tester to test fans yet?

they said yeah, but to complete their testing on fans they needed the chamber to be wrapped up

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I..I don't get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is not what I thought Steve meant when he said the chamber was for testing only fans