Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

I forget, how much did they have to water down Raven’s backstory for the show (as I seem to recall the comic’s version involving sexual assault which obviously wouldn’t fly in a kid’s show)?

They kinda never addressed it much. She was revealed to be Trigon's daughter and her mom (or a vision of her) appears in one episode but they never really get in the whys or hows of the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

A fascinating part of the TT cartoon is that it rarely went into their backstories and when it did it tended to omit lots of crucial context.

Like, the most you learn about Robin's past is an extremely brief shot of circus performers falling from a trapeze.

It also got cute with everyone's real names.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah there's really almost no backstories Teen Titans, they all just kinda have their powers and stuff with no real commentary on it. Starfire gets a full one, Raven sorta gets something vague, Beast Boy has his old suicidal team show up, but there's no explanation to why green. With cyborg all you really know is that he missed out on something from becoming a robot man, so he gets upset about that. Robin is the guy who most viewers might already know his backstory, but I don't think any of it is covered in the show. I don't think Batman gets mentioned. I think in the last season we're they're just roaming around meeting other heroes in what might be intended to be pilots, none of those get explained either.

So it's in contrast to a lot of other dramatic narrative Superhero cartoons, Teen Titans is just all vibe.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SlothfulCobra posted:

Starfire gets a full one,
Starfire gets the most of her backstory but it omits the part where her sister sold in into slavery at the behest of their wimpy father.

quote:

I think in the last season we're they're just roaming around meeting other heroes in what might be intended to be pilots, none of those get explained either.
Mostly that was a "this is our last season, gently caress it" thing and so every teen hero who has historically been involved with the Teen Titans got to show up. Except for Donna Troy.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Idly, since it has some overlap in the characters depicted, how good is Young Justice?

I have... VAGUE memories of a show I think was it, because I recall seeing something where there were robot copies of the adult heroes (Superman etc) going around that depowered the originals and they had a weakness of punching their chest sigil, but I am Legit Not Sure if that was Young Justice or another show.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Starfire sort of gets remade into an almost entirely new character from her original, because she wasn't very PG and also didn't really even look like a teen.

Junpei posted:

Idly, since it has some overlap in the characters depicted, how good is Young Justice?

It's a very slow burn that I think takes itself too seriously, but if you can get into the drama, it's fine. Kinda boring if you don't get into the drama.

It's really hampered by the fact that the showrunner having some ridiculous galaxybrain idea to do a giant timeskip between seasons where the intervening time would be covered by a videogame that would never be made, so all of a sudden they swap out the entire cast and big huge dramatic changes have been made, and it's as challening to figure out what the new state of things is as it is to be able to care about the apparently random changes.

I also vaguely blame Greg Weisman's vibes for all of 2016, because the show was dead and buried and him and his galaxybrain ten year plan got it revived that year for another continuation run on netflix, in what I consider the result of some kind of deal with the devil.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 30, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Teen Titans suffered from DC's whole Thing with the cartoons that they were terrified of brand confusion and so it was easy to forget that Robin is meant to have been Batman's sidekick at all, because they weren't allowed to even so much as use the name Wayne without plausible deniability. (Something that Teen Titans Go IS allowed to reference and has fun with, at least) That said, there's definitely enough subtext and themes to give you an idea of what the vibes are, and if anything it helps. Similar to the DCAU, it used plausible deniability very well.

Raven's whole story about being a child of rape (also kinda lol that it's basically Merlin's origin) also isn't quite as relevant as her whole deal of being isolated, not quite human and having powers that can and will do horrible things to everyone around her if she loses control for even a few moments. And makes for an interesting episode where she and Starfire are body-swapped, as the most important thing is that their powers are more or less diametrically opposed in function; while Raven's require concentration and thought to use and keep under control, Starfire's abilities are directly tied to her emotions, with her flight and energy blasts expressions of her joy and rage. Hilarity, as the ancient scrolls say, ensues.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Larryb posted:

Was Cybersix any good? I’ve only ever seen a small handful of clips

I have a lot of fond memories of it for during that magical pre-internet time when the weirdest poo poo would fade in and out of the 10pm timeslot on Teletoon.

I liked how often the monster of the week was sympathetic and/or changed to good just in time to self-sacrifice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DAN2VJKa_k

Bonus:

Arc Hammer posted:

Main theme song is really good but the overall show music is rather meh.

Ending theme was good too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddV7jW7ErwA

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Teen Titans suffered from DC's whole Thing with the cartoons that they were terrified of brand confusion and so it was easy to forget that Robin is meant to have been Batman's sidekick at all, because they weren't allowed to even so much as use the name Wayne without plausible deniability. (Something that Teen Titans Go IS allowed to reference and has fun with, at least) That said, there's definitely enough subtext and themes to give you an idea of what the vibes are, and if anything it helps. Similar to the DCAU, it used plausible deniability very well.

Raven's whole story about being a child of rape (also kinda lol that it's basically Merlin's origin) also isn't quite as relevant as her whole deal of being isolated, not quite human and having powers that can and will do horrible things to everyone around her if she loses control for even a few moments. And makes for an interesting episode where she and Starfire are body-swapped, as the most important thing is that their powers are more or less diametrically opposed in function; while Raven's require concentration and thought to use and keep under control, Starfire's abilities are directly tied to her emotions, with her flight and energy blasts expressions of her joy and rage. Hilarity, as the ancient scrolls say, ensues.

I love how Nevermore explores her character where Beast Boy and Cyborg end up inside her mind by accident and end up meeting her repressed emotions, who admit what Raven always found Beast Boy funny even if she couldn't show it and that due to her self-imposed isolationism she fears that everyone hates her and has severe anxiety about her behaviour and it's ramifications.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Come And See posted:

I have a lot of fond memories of it for during that magical pre-internet time when the weirdest poo poo would fade in and out of the 10pm timeslot on Teletoon.

It was either Cybersix, whatever French adult-oriented cartoon Teletoon bought for cheap from Canal+, or the rare anime OAV like Macross Plus, Ninja Scroll, Patlabor, or Wings of Honnêamise.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Junpei posted:

A lot of people praised it and I loved Weissman's earlier work, but when I watched it I was bored to tears. It felt like the show was putting on a theatre where half the cast were in a board meeting and the other half could only speak in fake teen dialogue that was somehow worse than Whedonspeak. The action was dull and formulaic when it wasn't trying to be over the top and then it just lost all weight because it felt like the show runner just wanted something, anything to make up for the scenes of people stiffly standing around talking or discussing something.

I would much rather watch MAWS because at least there the drama is believable and the characters are fun. Plus we're only five episodes in and something has actually progressed the plot to the point where I want to see what happens next.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.ign.com/articles/paramount-pictures-jettisoning-animation-it-doesnt-consider-commercial-as-it-goes-all-in-on-familiar-franchises

Meanwhile, Paramount continues to make braingenius decisions as it lurches ever closer to the grave.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Advance screenings from Mutant Mayhem have hit and it's getting really good reviews (including two from people I know and talk to-one of them even said that it's the second best Turtle movie after the 1990 live-action one, and given how much he loves that that is high praise)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

evilmiera posted:

A lot of people praised it and I loved Weissman's earlier work, but when I watched it I was bored to tears. It felt like the show was putting on a theatre where half the cast were in a board meeting and the other half could only speak in fake teen dialogue that was somehow worse than Whedonspeak. The action was dull and formulaic when it wasn't trying to be over the top and then it just lost all weight because it felt like the show runner just wanted something, anything to make up for the scenes of people stiffly standing around talking or discussing something.

I would much rather watch MAWS because at least there the drama is believable and the characters are fun. Plus we're only five episodes in and something has actually progressed the plot to the point where I want to see what happens next.

Someone put it that it has the signifiers of something good without the actual substance. Plus Weisman actively got aggro about the idea that people wanted to see story arcs finish.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That was probably me who said that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Teen Titans suffered from DC's whole Thing with the cartoons that they were terrified of brand confusion and so it was easy to forget that Robin is meant to have been Batman's sidekick at all, because they weren't allowed to even so much as use the name Wayne without plausible deniability

I didn't think it was not being allowed, I felt like they left out Batman because it would've run contrary to what they were doing with Robin, trying to make him into the cool, stoic, independent leader. Bringing in his boss/dad would undercut that.

Well, it's dumb, but it's entirely consistent with Nickelodeon's history of refusing to cultivate new IPs for like over a decade now, in favor of more obtuse ways of using the IPs they have. I feel like if they didn't own some very popular and profitable IPs associated with animation, they'd pull out of animation entirely.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, did Bruce Timm or Paul Dini have anything to do with the Teen Titans show?

But yeah, while the series had a problem with tonal whiplash (going from goofy to grimdark at the drop of a hat) I didn’t think it was that bad overall (as I’ve mentioned, Slade and Starfire were both massive improvements over their comic counterparts). I believe they even used Doctor Light on the show though obviously he wasn’t nearly as depraved as his other incarnations

I don’t think Batman or anything related to him was ever mentioned once in the show but I didn’t really have much of an issue with that

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 30, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Timm and Dini were still working on Justice League and JLU when Teen Titans went into production, so no.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I didn't think it was not being allowed, I felt like they left out Batman because it would've run contrary to what they were doing with Robin, trying to make him into the cool, stoic, independent leader. Bringing in his boss/dad would undercut that.

Given Robin could barely be so much as mentioned in the DCAU, even alluded to, I'd imagine there's definitely a mandate. There's a whole fight atop a building with clearly the WAYNE logo in lights but they never show the whole thing. Thing is so much about Robin's characterisation makes sense that he's a teenager desperately trying to be Batman.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also, which Robin was the Teen Titans version supposed to be and did we ever see him out of uniform in the show?

Though based on Batman Beyond at least one of them eventually grows up to become the second coming of the Joker

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There apparently was a plan to introduce the teen titans into the DCAU earlier since Batman does mention them to Static in an episode of Static Shock but then the decision was made to spin the Titans off into their own series with very little connection to the greater DC.

Titans Robin is meant to be Dick but again since the No Batman clause is in effect he's more of an amalgamation of Dick, Jason and Tim (who is the one who got jokerfied in DCAU)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I believe the Titans did appear in a few DCAU movies at least (even using the cartoon design for Starfire only taller) though they weren't in Young Justice for whatever reason

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The DC Animated Movies aren't part of the DCAU unless otherwise stated.

The ones that are part of DCAU are:
- Mask of the Phantasm
- Batman and Mr. Freeze: Sub Zero
- Return of the Joker
- Mystery of the Batwoman
- Batman and Harley Quinn (gently caress this movie)
- Justice League vs the Fatal Five

The last two are only dubiously part of the continuity since Timm thinks they are but other writers don't consider them so.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Given Robin could barely be so much as mentioned in the DCAU, even alluded to, I'd imagine there's definitely a mandate. There's a whole fight atop a building with clearly the WAYNE logo in lights but they never show the whole thing. Thing is so much about Robin's characterisation makes sense that he's a teenager desperately trying to be Batman.

I forget where I found it but I remember an interview with several writers where they originally did plan to have Batman show up but then decided against it because (even setting aside any sort of DCAU/Bat-embargo stuff) they felt that having him there would undermine all the Titans. You know, like all the adults showing up to clean up the kids' messes.

There is an interview with the creator where he lays out why they never spelled out Robin's identity, and it's because they didn't want anyone to have a secret identity so kids could more easily associate with them. Robin isn't any particular one of the Robins (even though they include lots of hints/nods over the course of the series that he's Dick Grayson), he's just Robin.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 30, 2023

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Arc Hammer posted:

There apparently was a plan to introduce the teen titans into the DCAU earlier since Batman does mention them to Static in an episode of Static Shock but then the decision was made to spin the Titans off into their own series with very little connection to the greater DC.

This one mention caused a lot of internet arguments as to whether or not Teen Titans was DCAU canon (Kid Flash showing up voiced by Michael Rosenbaum didn't help.)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
obviously personal opinion but as a teen the "tonal whiplash" of TT was a feature, not a bug. i loved that there were both silly "filler" episodes and more serious or dark ones, and never felt like the former was hurting the latter.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Young Justice is one of those shows where its reach exceeds its grasp. Bouncing around a timeline is fine but you need a good, coherent story you could take a step back and look at when it's all said and done. YJ might be coherent but it's not really good. The first season really suffers from having to be set up and some truly awful attempts at dialogue even if you have things like "Hello, Megan!" which Weisman promised would pay off - and I don't know if it's a pay off because those are rewarding but it was at least explained - but was still kind of obnoxious to hear. You also had what might be the height of the... "Zanatos Gambit" from its originator in that nothing the team did seemed to matter because all the setbacks were all according to keikaku for the bad guys.

Then you have a timeskip which is fine on its own but they also introduce like a dozen more characters and the show never really bothers to spend enough time to develop them save maybe one or two because it bounces between different groups and multiple plot threads that sort of tie up at the end and the season ending in two is not bad but I don't think it's worth the trip. Also calling the team "The Team" is dumb. You can call them Young Justice. It's fine, Greg.

Which brings us to the third season which was just meandering and frustrating, introducing yet more characters and these might be the least interesting of the bunch! Some characters spend most of their time just kinda traumatized and the show makes some effort to talk about mental health which is an admirable goal but it falls flat. They also mess up one of my favorite character's origins for the sake of the cartoon but that's strictly a personal beef with the show.

All those words aside, I'd watch YJ until you start to dislike it because wherever it is it probably won't get better from there.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Count me in the "god I wanted to like YJ but..." camp as well. My breaking point was somewhere in S2 because actually laying out the villains' plots in discussion with someone else made me realize how unreasonably stupid the "but we still win" plotting got with so many episode codas just being "AND VILLAINS KEEP WINNING!" no matter what the rest of the episode was or if they actually did 'succeed'.

Also it cannot be stressed enough how much of a disaster that "bridge" game was.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, is YJ dead now or are there talks of a fifth season?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
YJ's attempt to legitimize the diversity hire Superfriends is way more interesting than JLU's.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I could never really get over Young Justice's general artstyle, it reminds me of those super cheap DTV superhero movies that were coming out around the same time. Just the most generic action figure look with minimal stylization so the nerds don't get scared.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bringing up the DC Animated Movies I'm still rather miffed that they made the follow up to Under the Red Hood a dumb "choose your own adventure" DVD. Red Hood is one of the best DC movies and deserved better than a glorified what if? sequel.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Funky Valentine posted:

TT '03 is the one time Slade has been genuinely cool and it's because they jettisoned all the parts of comics!Slade that made him deeply pathetic.

I actually liked Arrow's Deathstroke. At least for the season or so he was there before I dropped the show. Also, I couldn't for the life of me tell you why or really provide any details other than he was friends with Ollie before feeling betrayed. I just don't get an immediate revulsion reaction when thinking about it. :v:

Dawgstar posted:

Young Justice is one of those shows where its reach exceeds its grasp. Bouncing around a timeline is fine but you need a good, coherent story you could take a step back and look at when it's all said and done. YJ might be coherent but it's not really good. The first season really suffers from having to be set up and some truly awful attempts at dialogue even if you have things like "Hello, Megan!" which Weisman promised would pay off - and I don't know if it's a pay off because those are rewarding but it was at least explained - but was still kind of obnoxious to hear. You also had what might be the height of the... "Zanatos Gambit" from its originator in that nothing the team did seemed to matter because all the setbacks were all according to keikaku for the bad guys.

Then you have a timeskip which is fine on its own but they also introduce like a dozen more characters and the show never really bothers to spend enough time to develop them save maybe one or two because it bounces between different groups and multiple plot threads that sort of tie up at the end and the season ending in two is not bad but I don't think it's worth the trip. Also calling the team "The Team" is dumb. You can call them Young Justice. It's fine, Greg.

Which brings us to the third season which was just meandering and frustrating, introducing yet more characters and these might be the least interesting of the bunch! Some characters spend most of their time just kinda traumatized and the show makes some effort to talk about mental health which is an admirable goal but it falls flat. They also mess up one of my favorite character's origins for the sake of the cartoon but that's strictly a personal beef with the show.

All those words aside, I'd watch YJ until you start to dislike it because wherever it is it probably won't get better from there.

See, I never really had the problem with the Zanatos Gambit style of story telling because the reality of writing super hero punch'em-ups is that you're walking a fine line between making the bad guys seem threatening and making the good guys (who are meant to be kids new to heading off on their own) seem incompetent. And I always felt the claim that it was all according to keikaku was a bit overblow. Yeah, the Light's overarching plan kept going despite the Team's "victories", but I always considered that more a function of them being a functional organization able to plan out multiple COAs, unlike the inherent disfunction of a lot of DC villain team-ups. There are plenty of examples where the Team causes a legitimate setback, but they're not working with enough information to fully capitalize on it. (Though, I do admit that various parts of "the plan" are unnecessarily convoluted for story telling purposes.) The Light expected the pushback, but they have enough stop gaps, feints, and back-ups in place that they can still continue with their main goal.

But really, though. I just like how they made Sportsmaster mega competent :v:, and that whole family dynamic is probably the most interesting part of the show.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
poo poo sucked nobody carred

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I could never really vibe with Young Justice due to how wimpy and underpowered the team felt for a group of superheroes*, especially what they did to Kid Flash and Superboy in that regard

*and not in a "they're scrappy underdogs" way either, they just felt lame

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
My Adventures With Superman is a bit twee at times but it has great comedic timing and doesn’t over linger on the punchline.

”I told Perry I needed a photographer and you were it!”

*smash cut to Perry closing his blinds*

In general every scene with Perry is a delight.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

My Adventures With Superman is a bit twee at times but it has great comedic timing and doesn’t over linger on the punchline.

For me it is how genuinely bad at lying (and generally thinking) that Clark is. He doesn't have snappy one-liners or amazing plans or even a coherent good reason as to why he is stepping out to do Superman things because he is just flying, pun intended, by the seat of his pants. People call him a himbo and I can dig it, he's almost as bad as Launchpad.

Edit: To be clear these are all good things.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

evilmiera posted:

For me it is how genuinely bad at lying (and generally thinking) that Clark is. He doesn't have snappy one-liners or amazing plans or even a coherent good reason as to why he is stepping out to do Superman things because he is just flying, pun intended, by the seat of his pants. People call him a himbo and I can dig it, he's almost as bad as Launchpad.

Edit: To be clear these are all good things.

I also like that this is part of the reason why Lois was able to piece things together so fast

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Captain Oblivious posted:

the fuckign timing on that gag was perfect, the blinds were like already in motion when the camera cuts to him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Reubens died last night:

https://nypost.com/2023/07/31/paul-reubens-dead-pee-wee-herman-actor-was-70/amp/