Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HonorableTB posted:

The tldr for Gigolo's post about rails is that if Russia lost a few rail transport hubs everything east of the urals descends into ungovernable anarchy as they are dependent on the developed western part of the country to supply the empty east with basic goods and there are a small amount of hubs and transfer stations east of Moscow that allow for this to happen

This is correct, also let's not forget that Russian rail depends on Western technology. And that pipeline has been blown up as it were. I do agree that blowing up apartment complexes in office buildings is a fairly silly move but blowing up an empty office complex is definitely a hello the war is on your backyard now type of moment. While we may be using about the idea that this will cause more people to mobilize it probably won't but it definitely will cause people to question the narrative that is being produced when even moscow isn't safe. I mean let's recall the Russian commentators that were asking where the hell the air defense was in Moscow in the first drone attacks were occurring a few months ago.

Edit: Russia could definitely jam the drones and cause them to crash. So good change this wasn't the intended target.

Here's a map of Russian rail. Notice a few...bottlenecks?

There was an interesting video on United 24 with an artillery unit who saw that they were losing starlink signal and immediately hid and said they could not fire another round because of the worry of a counter battery mission. Once the link was back up they immediately started conducting fire missions again.

So jamming is nothing new in this War and jamming starlink is nothing new either. It's easy to think that Russia isn't changing their tactics at all but they definitely are. And while these are not meaningful changes that are going to affect the outcome of the war they're definitely adaptations.

Upon thinking this more it does feel like the us could be holding Ukraine back from doing anything to the rail transport because they know it would play directly into China's need for raw materials and markets to fuel a slowing economy.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Tai posted:

If Ukraine is getting long range drones then they should be used on military poo poo and not office/appt blocks. And no, Russia doing it doesn't mean Ukraine gets a carte blanche to do it also.

It's okay to bomb empty offices of the defense/propaganda ministries, actually. I am giving Ukraine carte blanche to do it also

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

This is correct, also let's not forget that Russian rail depends on Western technology. And that pipeline has been blown up as it were. I do agree that blowing up apartment complexes in office buildings is a fairly silly move but blowing up an empty office complex is definitely a hello the war is on your backyard now type of moment. While we may be using about the idea that this will cause more people to mobilize it probably won't but it definitely will cause people to question the narrative that is being produced when even moscow isn't safe. I mean let's recall the Russian commentators that were asking where the hell the air defense was in Moscow in the first drone attacks were occurring a few months ago.

Edit: Russia could definitely jam the drones and cause them to crash. So good change this wasn't the intended target.

Here's a map of Russian rail. Notice a few...bottlenecks?

There was an interesting video on United 24 with an artillery unit who saw that they were losing starlink signal and immediately hid and said they could not fire another round because of the worry of a counter battery mission. Once the link was back up they immediately started conducting fire missions again.

So jamming is nothing new in this War and jamming starlink is nothing new either. It's easy to think that Russia isn't changing their tactics at all but they definitely are. And while these are not meaningful changes that are going to affect the outcome of the war they're definitely adaptations.

Upon thinking this more it does feel like the us could be holding Ukraine back from doing anything to the rail transport because they know it would play directly into China's need for raw materials and markets to fuel a slowing economy.

I'm so glad that your avatar didn't get overwritten by one of the Hillaries.

EasilyConfused fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 30, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

tiaz posted:

I think The West's current answer to this is the Small Diameter Bomb. A B-2 can carry 192.
not that I'm against the unmanned carrier/cruise missile you propose, though I will note that quads in general are pretty inefficient so if you want 10+ kilos of explosive you're gonna have a better time with fixed wing.
I think Uncle Sam has plenty of ways to blow something up remotely. These drones don't seem to be very effective anyway.

The biggest gap imo is defense against smaller quads. This poo poo would make occasional IED look like a good time.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Ukraine isn’t targeting rail infrastructure because it’s a notoriously hard target to disrupt, not because they don’t want to. If your target isn’t in contested territory or spanning water like a bridge or a dam, transportation infrastructure is really quick to replace.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Blorange posted:

Ukraine isn’t targeting rail infrastructure because it’s a notoriously hard target to disrupt, not because they don’t want to. If your target isn’t in contested territory or spanning water like a bridge or a dam, transportation infrastructure is really quick to replace.

Hmm, no that's too logical, there must be some sort of conspiracy involving external powers.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
One strange trick to win the war.

RUSSIANS HATE HIM.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

EasilyConfused posted:

Hmm, no that's too logical, there must be some sort of conspiracy involving external powers.

Is it really a conspiracy that the US pushed Ukraine not to attack Russia proper due to the worry of a nuclear response? I thought that was fairly common knowledge. With an emphasis on using western equipment to do so.

Sure you can put the tracks back together. But can you really replace multiple trains getting crippled in a concentrated location without causing some serious disruption?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

XYZAB posted:

Countdown until finished development of a long-range drone whose cargo is dozens or hundreds of instantly deployable grenade-loaded short-range autonomous quad-copter drones? Something capable of slinging/jettisoning a dozen or more single-use GPS-preloaded target quadcopters from the entire payload-serviceable length of a traditional rocket-style or fuselage-style aircraft/drone body. One drone can target one office, yes, but one drone carrying fifty smaller drones can target fifty offices. This is the kind of poo poo that the US DoD should already have developed and fielded, if not for the fact that it costs a fraction of a percentage of what their actual budget is, so they definitely overlooked it.

Back in 1992 they invented a 1000lb bomb that breaks into 10 cluster bombs, those each opened into 4 sub-cluster bombs, and they were each an automagic guided anti-tank weapon that shoot another thing at the target to actually kill it.

The gimmick is that you flatten a whole assault force or supply convoy from a single pull of the trigger, some real Fulda Gap poo poo.

Production stopped since [cluster bombs arguments here]

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Is it really a conspiracy that the US pushed Ukraine not to attack Russia proper due to the worry of a nuclear response? I thought that was fairly common knowledge. With an emphasis on using western equipment to do so.

Do you read your own posts?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
It was the western de facto policy up until Ukraine did it anyway and everyone saw the impotence of Russia in response and then the official public policy of the west, particularly the US and UK, was "it's totally valid to attack Russian targets in Russia just don't use our weapons to do it"

and even then, when the FRB did it in their raids using MRAPs and such, putin still did gently caress all about it, so now Biden just doesn't really give a gently caress as long as it's not too egregious. The west still doesn't want major offensive action in Russia using western gear but you notice they unlocked F-16s and Abrams tanks for later this year in response to the total flaccidity of Russia's red-line enforcement lol

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

motherland monument getting its soviet symbols removed quicker than I thought. Aug 24 scheduled completion.

https://twitter.com/United24media/status/1685714355269038080?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAIyB5hjWDg

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

motherland monument getting its soviet symbols removed quicker than I thought. Aug 24 scheduled completion.
sorry i can't hear anything over the sound of all the tankies losing their minds

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Countdown to missile strikes on the statue...

zone
Dec 6, 2016

The Locator posted:

Countdown to missile strikes on the statue...

Speaking of missile strikes, another air raid alert was sounded in Ukraine.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

:byetankie:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
That statue is getting missiled.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Good idea Russia shoot off a couple million+ dollar missiles because of :heritage:

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Tai posted:

That statue is getting missiled.

I think it's safe unless the Ukrainians build a hospital inside it.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

They're going to replace it with a swastika, just watch

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Toxic Mental posted:

They're going to replace it with a swastika, just watch

It will be a gigantic bust of Zelensky. Something Russia would never do

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

My money is on Bandera

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
melt that statue down and make a ghost of kyiv statue out of it instead

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1685672583667007488?s=20

https://twitter.com/MargoGontar/status/1685637831048171520?s=20

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 31, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I think we are ALL missing what the statue will actually be

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

:byetankie:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Nice. They do exist. :madmax:

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I think we are ALL missing what the statue will actually be

Why wouldn't it be the BEST Hillary [Somaen's av]?
My money's on Hunter's Hog

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1685745314865479685#m

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1685743243873443841
Another sort of new suicide drone recently entered Ukrainian service.

:toot:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/SarahAshtonLV/status/1685727207035994112?t=I8RkhnLTWwO5oXvtMEei6g&s=19

Excellent video. Also shows you all the targets we've heard about lately that they've hit with those drones in the last couple weeks

The end of the video says 24 August which is Ukrainian independence day

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Lmao

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It will be a gigantic bust of Zelensky. Something Russia would never do

Or just a giant busty zelenskyy

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

HonorableTB posted:

The tldr for Gigolo's post about rails is that if Russia lost a few rail transport hubs everything east of the urals descends into ungovernable anarchy as they are dependent on the developed western part of the country to supply the empty east with basic goods and there are a small amount of hubs and transfer stations east of Moscow that allow for this to happen

I thought rail infrastructure is pretty resilient to bombing? Apart from the locomotives and rolling stock, there aren’t any particular weak spots that a bomb can hit and paralyze a line for very long.
The noticeable exception being the rail bridges.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

This is such a tall own, and the length of the stress fractures as it carries along scenario to-target is like lmao

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Vengarr posted:

I thought rail infrastructure is pretty resilient to bombing? Apart from the locomotives and rolling stock, there aren’t any particular weak spots that a bomb can hit and paralyze a line for very long.
The noticeable exception being the rail bridges.

You hit a switching station somewhere remote and you just took out anything behind the switching station until it's repaired and switching stations are one of the most vulnerable parts of a railway. You're right about the rails themselves and bridges, but the real thing is knocking out the switching stations because that causes ripple effects in how everything is moved by rail to compensate for it

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

You hit a switching station somewhere remote and you just took out anything behind the switching station until it's repaired and switching stations are one of the most vulnerable parts of a railway. You're right about the rails themselves and bridges, but the real thing is knocking out the switching stations because that causes ripple effects in how everything is moved by rail to compensate for it

Half of Russian cargo travels via electric routes so damage to power relays feeding the rail system would also cause bottlenecks.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So there's possibilities here.

But can we honestly say that Russia would survive a targeted rail bombing?

I mean seriously. The far East is loving desolate. So is a lot of stuff past the Urals. Sure they won't starve per se, but it's all the other poo poo. I mean remember COVIDs toilet paper debacle in the US? Like imagine that but on a grand scale. Where even the most common goods are just unable to be found. Imagine vape pens in particular, and think of other things like just motor parts and tires and medical supplies all of these things rely on Russian rail. It is the most critical infrastructure that could be targeted by ukraine. Without thought of conspiracy it is something to pontificate.

Look, the US has a blueprint to invade Russia etc I mean it's just expected it's what you do when you're a great power. So if they look at their target list and go hmm if we blow up Russian rail/all the other targets everything else loving goes to poo poo I mean that information may impact their decision and advisement to Ukraine on doing so. I mean if they know for a fact the Russian state is going to loving collapse the second Ukraine does certain things then they might not ask those things to be done just because of global hegemony and the thought that the nuclear weapons will be under threat.

The United States wants to thwart Chinese efforts to secure resources especially with climate change having a pretty huge effect on everything. Having more resources in the next coming decades will determine the outcome of future resource acquisition. That's why China is doing so much in Africa and it makes sense that they would move into Russia as well since it's a weakened State just like many African countries they operate do They may realize via intelligence assets that Russia is in a more critical State than the media is portraying. And this also allows them to snub China because they know if the Russian state does become destabilized the closest power in the region is either Europe or China and I mean which one do you think the mainstream Russian is going to go to? Is it really going to be Europe after all this propaganda?

Think to yourselves what infrastructure is most critical and imagine why it's not being targeted. We're talking power stations factories tank depots etc while some of these things are civilian targets they're also military targets. Like it was said a little above targeting the power stations that power the rail systems could literally cause the country to go into a turmoil. I'm not saying it's going to be civil war or a rebellion in a week but over time I mean how long can you really go without these goods? How long can you go without vital medical supplies how long can you go without treats?

I asked these questions because they seriously determine what the next narrative is I mean Ukraine seems pretty ready to start firing drones off every day if the opportunity arises. And why wouldn't they at this point? Russia is showing itself to be completely and utterly weak I mean he has already shown itself to be that but the war has come home. Moscow is feeling the effects of what they are doing and it's clearly depicted in the videos I watch where people are crying and screaming about the offices getting blown up. I'm not enjoying that but it is the sheer horror that you heard in the ukrainians voices when Kyiv was getting bombed every day.

What I really do want to portray here is that Russia is a lot more fragile than we may be led to believe. Can you articulate a way that Russia goes forward with this war and doesn't have a an effect on their ability to project power in their own country? I mean Belgorod literally was attacked and put under siege and a PMC group took over rostov Don. These things are not isolated incidents. Their frequency is not going to get less the frequency is going to get higher because the instability caused by this war is going to have long-lasting effects again on their ability to project power internally. Whether it's a street gang or whether it's a regional leader deciding to take a little more power for himself every now and again, it's going to have a spiraling effect on the government.

Added things: Russia moved its troops via rail still. They transport EVERYTHING In Russia via rail. While in Crimea they do transport via trucks and poo poo that's mainly to avoid getting their trains bombed because it's fairly easy to monitor a trains route versus a trucks.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 31, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i think i like it when military hqs go boom

not civilian stuff go boom

maybe i dum tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

HonorableTB posted:

https://twitter.com/SarahAshtonLV/status/1685727207035994112?t=I8RkhnLTWwO5oXvtMEei6g&s=19

Excellent video. Also shows you all the targets we've heard about lately that they've hit with those drones in the last couple weeks

The end of the video says 24 August which is Ukrainian independence day

is this an actual video by the ukrainian government or did the account who tweeted it make it