Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The trick is, though, that the Ken dolls only act condescendingly when the ‘deprogrammed’ Barbie dolls pretend to be ignorant. There’s a kind of fundamental incompatibility between the fantasy and the reality that people are overlooking.

SMG mansplaining a literal mansplaining montage is perfect CineD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The use of "Butterfly" was extremely appropriate.

Helen Mirren should've made a snippy remark over the financial literacy bit, maybe about how women outperform men in the stock market on average. Otherwise, lots of people really do park all their money in checking/savings without seeking any greater returns or investments!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Honestly after watching it a second time. I think I'm pretty confident that Ken is a gay man and that's his truth.

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023
I definitely slid a bit on the Kinsey scale watching some of those dance numbers.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Honestly after watching it a second time. I think I'm pretty confident that Ken is a gay man and that's his truth.

It makes biographical sense.

Ken was named after Ruth's son Kenneth, just like Barbie after her daughter Barbara. And real Ken was super gay erotic photo/film guy.

Super weird that Barbie and Ken are siblings though. No wonder Kenneth became the blacksheep of the family

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Simply Simon posted:

The stakes are that without breaking the rule of Kens, Ken dolls instead of Barbie dolls will sell like hotcakes and set feminism back 50 years

Right, but let’s just out and say it: Barbie dolls have never actually had the power to “set feminism back” very much at all. It’s like the old story about Star Trek having the first inter-racial kiss on TV, when it wasn’t. It was only the most prominent example - the major network NBC coming late to the game, taking advantage of the work already done by, like, the civil rights movement in reality.

What I’m writing is simply that culture is downstream of politics. In order for Kendom toys to become a smash hit, the conditions would need to already be in place for people to accept Kung Fury junk. This is even shown in the film, when Will Ferrel checks a chart of data analytics or whatever, and it tells him that Kendom will be a viable product line.

But this raises that same question of who’d ever buy these Kendom toys? It’s a product line directed at Sasha: a “dark, weird” version of Barbie. The Mojo-Dojo playset is literally just a pre-vandalized Malibu Dream House.

The two things that differentiate Jurassic Park dolls from other dinosaur toys are 1) that they’re literally branded with the Jurassic Park logo (in that meta sort of way) and 2) they tend to feature Dino DamageTM: simulated pre-destruction of the toy. Animals have removable limbs, cars have chunks missing, etc. Universal Studios has a simulated boat ride accident, and Kendom follows that same logic. The degradation of Barbieland is folded back into the Barbie brand, as a key component of it.

Anyways, the movie’s politics are well-summarized by how the dad character awkwardly cheers a leftist slogan and Gloria immediately chides him for cultural appropriation.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 30, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Hollismason posted:

I mean, even if we hadn't moved past "oh you're a dude who likes feminine-coded stuff, you are gay then" as a society, literally all of his anguish is because he's in love with Barbie and she only likes him.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Right, but let’s just out and say it: Barbie dolls have never actually had the power to “set feminism back” very much at all. It’s like the old story about Star Trek having the first inter-racial kiss on TV, when it wasn’t. It was only the most prominent example - the major network NBC coming late to the game, taking advantage of the work already done by, like, the civil rights movement in reality.

What I’m writing is simply that culture is downstream of politics. In order for Kendom toys to become a smash hit, the conditions would need to already be in place for people to accept Kung Fury junk. This is even shown in the film, when Will Ferrel checks a chart of data analytics or whatever, and it tells him that Kendom will be a viable product line.

But this raises that same question of who’d ever buy these Kendom toys? It’s a product line directed at Sasha: a “dark, weird” version of Barbie. The Mojo-Dojo playset is literally just a pre-vandalized Malibu Dream House.

The two things that differentiate Jurassic Park dolls from other dinosaur toys are 1) that they’re literally branded with the Jurassic Park logo (in that meta sort of way) and 2) they tend to feature Dino DamageTM: simulated pre-destruction of the toy. Animals have removable limbs, cars have chunks missing, etc. Universal Studios has a simulated boat ride accident, and Kendom follows that same logic. The degradation of Barbieland is folded back into the Barbie brand, as a key component of it.

Anyways, the movie’s politics are well-summarized by how the dad character awkwardly cheers a leftist slogan and Gloria immediately chides him for cultural appropriation.

Did you actually watch the movie because Will Ferrell never checks a data chart saying Kendom will be successful. He calls some guy and the guy is like "Mojo Dojo Casa " is selling like crazy.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The movie firmly establishes a heightened reality in which the real life gets directly influenced by things happening in Barbieland, it is thus text that Barbie dolls actually have a lot of power and having toxic Ken dolls have power is bad. This serves to underline the main theme, which is "man this is ridiculous, it couldn't happen in real life, because that is much stupider"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Simply Simon posted:

The movie firmly establishes a heightened reality in which the real life gets directly influenced by things happening in Barbieland, it is thus text that Barbie dolls actually have a lot of power and having toxic Ken dolls have power is bad. This serves to underline the main theme, which is "man this is ridiculous, it couldn't happen in real life, because that is much stupider"

I'm still confused over who has the power to influence which reality. The movie tells us that girls playing with barbies in the real world have the ability to affect the personality of an individual Barbie. Then someone told me that the Barbies can't be to blame for how Kens are treated because the Mattel board controls the Barbies or something. But then a single Ken gets into the real world and goes back with a few books and suddenly he now controls not only Barbieland, but he is causing new products to be created and sold in the real world?

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Did you actually watch the movie because Will Ferrell never checks a data chart saying Kendom will be successful. He calls some guy and the guy is like "Mojo Dojo Casa " is selling like crazy.

Yeah, I think its Gloria's idea of "ordinary, anxious Barbie" that he initially scoffs at then checks the charts.

The point still stands that toys reflect, but don't create, pre-established ideas. Like that's the lesson Barbie learns in the real world when she sees that the narrator who said Barbies solved inequality was lying, and that the aestheticia beauty of elderly women was novel to her simply because it isn't currently marketable.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

crowoutofcontext posted:

Yeah, I think its Gloria's idea of "ordinary, anxious Barbie" that he initially scoffs at then checks the charts.

The point still stands that toys reflect, but don't create, pre-established ideas. Like that's the lesson Barbie learns in the real world when she sees that the narrator who said Barbies solved inequality was lying, and that the aestheticia beauty of elderly women was novel to her simply because it isn't currently marketable.

Yea she pitches ordinary Barbie and the guy is using a Ipad and says "Oh yeah no that'll sell like crazy".

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hollismason posted:

Will Ferrell never checks a data chart saying Kendom will be successful.

Yeah he does; it's implicit from the later scene when he and the board do exactly that with Ordinary Barbie. They must have punched the phrase "Ironic Boy-Culture Ken" into the same computer before going ahead.

It's also just commonsense, because of course they're going to do focus testing and demographic research and whatnot. The film uses its "just a movie / all in her head" meta conceit and unrealistically breezy pace to elide the part where the toys are actually produced, but the diegetic Mattel company is still a company. Even if it is all in Gloria's head, she clearly believes (that Mattel's board believes) that there's insane demand for this Kendom stuff.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 31, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Yeah he does; it's implicit from the later scene that he and the board do exactly that with Ordinary Barbie. They must have punched the phrase "Ironic Boy-Culture Ken" into the same computer before going ahead.

It's also just commonsense, because of course they're going to do focus testing and demographic research and whatnot. The film uses its "just a movie / all in her head" meta conceit and unrealistically breezy pace to elide the part where the toys are actually produced, but the diegetic Mattel company is still a company. Even if it is all in Gloria's head, she clearly believes (that Mattel's board believes) that there's insane demand for this Kendom stuff.

He literally does not do this.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
what is Gloria's job? Her desk is just literally an inch in front of the board meeting room, not an office, a meeting room.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm still confused over who has the power to influence which reality. The movie tells us that girls playing with barbies in the real world have the ability to affect the personality of an individual Barbie. Then someone told me that the Barbies can't be to blame for how Kens are treated because the Mattel board controls the Barbies or something. But then a single Ken gets into the real world and goes back with a few books and suddenly he now controls not only Barbieland, but he is causing new products to be created and sold in the real world?
It's supposed to only flow one way. The girls playing with barbies created Barbieland, but now that it exists, it's still connected to the same collective unconciousness that generated it. If you alter it, then, well -- it reflects the zeitgeist, so if it changed, then so must the zeitgeist, by definition. As above, so below. That's why the execs are worried about a doll coming to the real world, but absolutely flipping out about a real person going to Barbieland.

GateOfD posted:

what is Gloria's job? Her desk is just literally an inch in front of the board meeting room, not an office, a meeting room.
Her job is Works At Office. The real world in the movie is clearly a heightened, magical realism sort of real world.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CapnAndy posted:

It's supposed to only flow one way. The girls playing with barbies created Barbieland, but now that it exists, it's still connected to the same collective unconciousness that generated it. If you alter it, then, well -- it reflects the zeitgeist, so if it changed, then so must the zeitgeist, by definition. As above, so below. That's why the execs are worried about a doll coming to the real world, but absolutely flipping out about a real person going to Barbieland.

That still doesn't explain how Ken was able to just change everything just by learning vaguely what patriarchy is. Do the Kens have the real power to control Barbieland but are instead kept ignorant and powerless by the ruling Barbie class?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

That still doesn't explain how Ken was able to just change everything just by learning vaguely what patriarchy is. Do the Kens have the real power to control Barbieland but are instead kept ignorant and powerless by the ruling Barbie class?
That's an ungenerous reading, but... sure? Barbieland is defined by how its inhabitants act, and the Kens live there too. Also don't forget that all the Barbies buy into patriarchy wholeheartedly and need to be deprogrammed, because they have no natural defenses against it. Everyone was into it until Stereotypical Barbie got home.

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023

CapnAndy posted:

That's an ungenerous reading, but... sure? Barbieland is defined by how its inhabitants act, and the Kens live there too. Also don't forget that all the Barbies buy into patriarchy wholeheartedly and need to be deprogrammed, because they have no natural defenses against it. Everyone was into it until Stereotypical Barbie got home.

The scene mentioning how Barbies haven’t developed “immunity” to patriarchy as a comparison to “Native Americans and smallpox” was fuckin atrocious and made more than one person in the theater audibly groan.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CapnAndy posted:

I mean, even if we hadn't moved past "oh you're a dude who likes feminine-coded stuff, you are gay then" as a society, literally all of his anguish is because he's in love with Barbie and she only likes him.

Ken's not in love with Barbie, he just thinks he is because she's the ideal of what men are supposed to like. His attraction to her is entirely around living up to the masculine ideal and his anguish is over his own self-worth due to the loss of status that comes with her constant rejection

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I think Ken loves Barbie, but he's not in love with Barbie - his love for Barbie is just like his job being Beach, that's what is Right and what Must Be.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hollismason posted:

He literally does not do this.

I'm not sure what's being argued here. What I wrote is "simply that culture is downstream of politics. In order for Kendom toys to become a smash hit, the conditions would need to already be in place for people to accept Kung Fury junk.'

So are you writing that, in the film, politics is downstream of culture; Mattels execs just randomly starts selling toys that nobody wants, and this causes the world to becomes more regressive? 'Cause, before that happens, the film presents a reality where Barbie gets sexually harassed every thirty seconds.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Also don't forget that all the Barbies buy into patriarchy wholeheartedly and need to be deprogrammed, because they have no natural defenses against it. Everyone was into it until Stereotypical Barbie got home.

I don’t think Alan or Weird Barbie were into it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I'm not sure what's being argued here.
What's being argued is that you're incorrect about why Ken's patriarchy merch is selling. There is no scene where the execs do a quick study and realize "oh yeah, that'd make money" -- as has already been pointed out, that happens with Gloria's pitch of Ordinary Barbie. The Mojo Dojo Casa House starts flying off the shelves because of Ken's takeover of Barbieland, which warps the real world correspondingly. It's treated as a symptom; the CEO warned that things were going to get very weird if the real world was allowed to contaminate Barbieland, and the warehouse worker calls him up to inform him that, yes, things have gotten very weird: they have warehouses full of a product that they don't make and is objectively terrible, but it's selling like crazy.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

In order for Kendom toys to become a smash hit, the conditions would need to already be in place for people to accept Kung Fury junk.

Would've been interesting if patriarchy was blamed for all the Kung Fury junk, then the "just a Ken" musical number happens and they determine that being "Kenough" still includes all the Kung Fury junk, just without pretending it makes them any more desirable except maybe to horse girls.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe the flow got jumbled when Barbie crossed into the real world and started interacting with it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Halisnacks posted:

I don’t think Alan or Weird Barbie were into it.

Nome of the discontinued Barbies were. Probably since they weren't being sold anymore they weren't affected by the weird feedback loop changes to Barbieworld.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

You could've done a similar gag to demonstrate the real world being correspondingly warped with having Gloria and CEO dolls suddenly existing and selling out, but that wouldn't be making the same point, so they go with the patriarchy merch instead.

Although now that I think of it, a gag where for the rest of the movie Gloria and CEO keep subconciously acting like boyfriend and girlfriend (because that's how all the little girls are pairing them) and being all the more motivated to undo all the changes and get out because of it would've been pretty funny.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CapnAndy posted:

What's being argued is that you're incorrect about why Ken's patriarchy merch is selling. There is no scene where the execs do a quick study and realize "oh yeah, that'd make money" -- as has already been pointed out, that happens with Gloria's pitch of Ordinary Barbie. The Mojo Dojo Casa House starts flying off the shelves because of Ken's takeover of Barbieland, which warps the real world correspondingly. It's treated as a symptom; the CEO warned that things were going to get very weird if the real world was allowed to contaminate Barbieland, and the warehouse worker calls him up to inform him that, yes, things have gotten very weird: they have warehouses full of a product that they don't make and is objectively terrible, but it's selling like crazy.

Ok, but what does "getting really weird if the real world [is] allowed to contaminate Barbieland" mean?

Its thoroughly established that the various personal Barbielands are just representative of the underlying concept - literally, the idea of Barbie in the minds of the people. It's the same as McDonaldland being inhabited by Ronald, Grimace, and Mayor McCheese. The Barbieland of the film is specifically Gloria's, and the basic plot is that Gloria's idea of the Barbie brand is crumbling because it literally cannot withstand contact with reality.

If reality itself "gets weird" and likewise crumbles due to Gloria's lack of faith in the brand - generating what you describe as an alternate-universe, alternate-timeline kind of situation - that points to Gloria just kinda going crazy.

But nobody ever 'just' goes crazy. There's a form to it:

If the Barbie toys in stores are magically transmuted into garbage, it can be interpreted as Gloria's realization that Barbie has all along been "objectively terrible [despite] selling like crazy". Barbie is revealed to have, all along, been just sexist bullshit with cars and horses: Barbie only existed to serve Ken, never actually owned the Malibu Dream House, and it can all be instantly taken away, etc. Under this interpretation, nothing has changed in actual reality; it's just Gloria's perception of the brand. She's just now seeing it from Sasha's point of view: Barbie's fascist!

However, Gloria is in the unique position of (seemingly) working as a concept artist/designer at Mattel - which, diegetically, is a surreal and magical place straight out of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". Execs can hold conversations with the toons in Toontown, and Gloria literally holds powers of creation because she's a cartoonist. In this situation, we can see Kendom as another one of Gloria's "weird" designs - but one that the company approves, finalizes, and mass-produces with exaggerated speed. So, under this interpretation, reality has simply "contaminated" Gloria's mind and made her designs "weird", but the diegetic Mattel is basically just functioning as a regular company, selling a new product line.

Either way, the Barbie/Ken toys are approved before going into production. Your interpretation, that things are just randomly weird for no reason, isn't as strong.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Either way, the Barbie/Ken toys are approved before going into production. Your interpretation, that things are just randomly weird for no reason, isn't as strong.
You're expecting too much reality from a "real world" populated by stable portals to Barbieland, video montages that randomly show off horses and Bill Clinton, people who'll gleefully discuss how good they're doing the patriarchy, school books with incredibly on-the-nose titles like How Patriarchy Literally Rules The World, office buildings which hold dim rooms of identical cubicles in a strange grid, elevator buttons literally reading All The Way To The Top, the FBI calling random office drones about escaped Barbies, an Executive Room with a heart-shaped desk staffed by a CEO and about two dozen interchangable lesser executives, none of whom have names, and ghosts who keep an office on the 12th floor. It's a heightened, magical realism sort of reality, not the actual real world.

Nobody had the idea for the Mojo Dojo Casa House before Ken did, and, again, the warehouse worker finds their sheer existence baffling enough to call the CEO and report it, along with the news that it's selling really well for no reason. That this was a pre-planned, approved product is just an impossible reading of what's going on in that scene. CEO says, out loud, before they go into Barbieland, that things are at risk of getting weird, then later on he gets phone call from a worker who says, again out loud, that things have indeed gotten weird, and cites the fact that they're selling a product they don't make as his example. Things didn't get weird for "no reason", they got weird because the real world contaminated Barbieland.

Also, it's not just Gloria's Barbieland. It's everyone's. Remember, Gloria's only playing with Stereotypical Barbie. She's just forged an unusually strong connection and is changing things because she's playing with her Barbie outside the normal bounds of how they're supposed to be played with, and also so the movie can happen.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Also, it's not just Gloria's Barbieland. It's everyone's.

That's straight-up not true within the text of the film. Gloria repeatedly comments on how all the toys within Barbieland were ones she had growing up.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah its pretty clear that Barbieland is Glorias Barbieland. There's even a scene where she verbatim repeats that "Oh I had a weird Barbie and played with her too hard" which implies that weird Barbie is Gloria's weird Barbie. It also explains why Barbie's that were marketed toward adults like Sugar Daddie Barbie is there.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 31, 2023

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Wouldn’t that make the metafailure of the plan to distract the Ken-Bros a commentary from Gerwig on Gloria’s brand of liberal feminism, undercutting the monologue?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hollismason posted:

Yeah its pretty clear that Barbieland is Glorias Barbieland. There's even a scene where she verbatim repeats that "Oh I had a weird Barbie and played with her too hard" which implies that weird Barbie is Gloria's weird Barbie. It also explains why Barbie's that were marketed toward adults like Sugar Daddie Barbie is there.

Every girl has had a weird Barbie

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

That's straight-up not true within the text of the film. Gloria repeatedly comments on how all the toys within Barbieland were ones she had growing up.
Yeah, you're right, but... it kinda has to be both, somehow, because there are Barbies there she literally can't have owned like President Barbie, Mermaid Barbie, and the different body shape Barbies, and otherwise how does changing it affect the whole world? Maybe it just doesn't make complete sense, and that's okay.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I enjoyed watching this film while imagining every line being calculatingly approved by Mattel.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

kiminewt posted:

I enjoyed watching this film while imagining every line being calculatingly approved by Mattel.

Some intern had a great time explaining cock rings during a meeting

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pirate Jet posted:

Which is a neat trick, because Gloria is 40something, at least, and Growing Up Skipper was released in 1975 and didn't last long.

Rarity posted:

Every girl has had a weird Barbie

I think the odds of having had a weird Barbie are a lot higher if you have a destructive sibling, either very young or just obnoxious.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

CapnAndy posted:

CapnAndy posted:

Nobody had the idea for the Mojo Dojo Casa House before Ken did, and, again, the warehouse worker finds their sheer existence baffling enough to call the CEO and report it, along with the news that it's selling really well for no reason. That this was a pre-planned, approved product is just an impossible reading of what's going on in that scene. CEO says, out loud, before they go into Barbieland, that things are at risk of getting weird, then later on he gets phone call from a worker who says, again out loud, that things have indeed gotten weird, and cites the fact that they're selling a product they don't make as his example. Things didn't get weird for "no reason", they got weird because the real world contaminated Barbieland.

I think the way Barbieland was changed by Ken after visiting the real world was based on the precursor to the Yes men:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbie_Liberation_Organization

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DzTWF1jVwH4

and then maybe in the movie it’s suggested that Mattel capitalizes on selling the mojo dojo casa houses even though they didn’t actually intend to design it, but :capitalism:

Computer Serf fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

weekly font posted:

Some intern had a great time explaining cock rings during a meeting

I guarantee it wasn't necessary for a 20-something intern circa 2023 to explain to Mattel that "Earring Magic Ken" came with a cock ring.

They know. There's no way that infamous 30-year-old bit of lore is a secret.