Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tree Bucket posted:

Agghh. A while back I noticed that countless comic artists do this, and now it can never be un-seen.

What I can't unsee is that they got John C Reilly to play the alien

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
"baloney" comes from a bizarre inability to say "Bologna"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Splendid posted:

I'm pretty sure we called bologna by some other name here in Australia in the 70s and 80s when I was a kid (supermarkets called it lunchmeat or loaf or slice or something, small independent delis no doubt labeled it correctly) so whenever it came up in cartoons or comics that was always a bit confusing

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Captain Splendid posted:

capiciola - gabagool manicotti - manigott comare - goomar prosciutto - prozhoot. I think I know who the culprits are.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm pretty sure we called bologna by some other name here in Australia in the 70s and 80s when I was a kid (supermarkets called it lunchmeat or loaf or slice or something, small independent delis no doubt labeled it correctly) so whenever it came up in cartoons or comics that was always a bit confusing

Mortadella?

Torquemada posted:

capiciola - gabagool manicotti - manigott comare - goomar prosciutto - prozhoot. I think I know who the culprits are.

Italians

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
You're goddamn right.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Torquemada posted:

You forgot pasta fagioli - pasta fazoole

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Oh man flashback to the time some dude from Long Island kept demanding to know where the "rrrriGOTT" was and when i didn't know what the hell rrrrrriGOTT was he just kept repeating it louder and with a bigger Italian Hand Gesture, increasingly angry

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Americans looks to be English people who can't believe they English

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Americans looks to be English people who can't believe they English

Hey now, Americans have barbeque. That's one* actual legitimate cuisine, which is more than the English have.

* feel free to argue amongst yourselves about which kind of barbeque counts as legitimate

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!
Known elsewhere in the world as "grilling but with too much sugar".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Known elsewhere in the world as "grilling but with too much sugar".

World class troll mr doodoo. Are you taking applications for apprenticeships.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hey now, Americans have barbeque. That's one* actual legitimate cuisine, which is more than the English have.

* feel free to argue amongst yourselves about which kind of barbeque counts as legitimate

Technically correct because you didn't clarify which peoples from The Americas you were referring to

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Technically correct because you didn't clarify which peoples from The Americas you were referring to

The true barbecue sauce is named chimichurri

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Man i do get it, i really do, but the fuckin "American food sucks and Americans have no culture" erases black, Hispanic and indigenous cultures, at least specify you mean us crackers

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!
Somebody make a :midwest: smilie that's a cream of mushroom soup can with a tear running down the side

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Captain Hygiene posted:

Somebody make a :midwest: smilie that's a cream of mushroom soup can with a tear running down the side

Has to be hotdish.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Has to be hotdish.

*holds up pic of hotdish and pic of cream of mushroom* they’re the same picture

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Grassy Knowles posted:

*holds up pic of hotdish and pic of cream of mushroom* they’re the same picture

My Aunt always used cream of asparagus :smug: My mom was all cream of mushroom though

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Silver Falcon posted:

You forgot pasta fagioli - pasta fazoole

To be fair that comes from the Neapolitan name, pasta e fasule.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

InediblePenguin posted:

Man i do get it, i really do, but the fuckin "American food sucks and Americans have no culture" erases black, Hispanic and indigenous cultures, at least specify you mean us crackers

that's intentional. that's what people who post things like that want to do.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

despite being a politics junkie over the years I never knew the origins of the phrase "astroturf", that Astroturf is an actual manufacturer of fake grass for sports.

Grassroots versus fake grass... what a good term that illustrates the concept in itself

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Torquemada posted:

The culprit is Italian evolving over time after people left. People say "prozhoot" and "gabagool" because that's how their ancestors said it, when they immigrated to the USA, after which the folks back home changed their minds about how these should be pronounced.

For some reason, everyone seems to absolutely despise this about Americans of Italian descent, including the very article I got this information from, which is just baffling to me.

E: I'm misremembering, it was more teasing than derision, but still, it seems perfectly legitimate to me

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/how-capicola-became-gabagool-the-italian-new-jersey-accent-explained

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 07:40 on Jul 31, 2023

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hyperlynx posted:

The culprit is Italian evolving over time after people left.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Again with the rape of the culture!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

despite being a politics junkie over the years I never knew the origins of the phrase "astroturf", that Astroturf is an actual manufacturer of fake grass for sports.

Grassroots versus fake grass... what a good term that illustrates the concept in itself

I never made that connection before! What a useful phrase

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think it's really tedious when people mock whatever their vision of no-culture white American food is (which is usually just whatever poor people have available to them) yet in the same breath espouse the glories of the $12 taco.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's really tedious when people mock whatever their vision of no-culture white American food is (which is usually just whatever poor people have available to them) yet in the same breath espouse the glories of the $12 taco.

do you want to talk to a manager, Karen?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

exquisite tea posted:

That scarecrow buying $12 tacos has no clue what he's doing. If he only had a brain.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
To be fair, American poor people food is also usually outrageously unhealthy, almost maliciously so due to the fact that it's practically made of industrial byproducts. There's some anger at the industry built into this. Plenty of people will go to bat for stuff like biscuits, sausage & hash browns, but not so much for stuff like boiled potatoes covered with plastic cheese and canned Campbell's Cream Of Citation Needed

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Lemming posted:

but not so much for stuff like boiled potatoes covered with plastic cheese and canned Campbell's Cream Of Citation Needed

A reminder that this is actually what kicked off the discussion:

coldpudding posted:

At work today me and the other staff realized that the "raspberry jam" we have been supplied with contains 0% raspberries and in fact contains no berries of any sort, instead the listed ingredients were apples, sugar, food coloring, tartaric acid, citric acid and synthetic raspberry flavoring, we all took turns tasting it and all agreed that it tasted and even looked more like apples than anything else.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

'American' cheese is not actually cheese in any meaningful sense, so this actually tracks 1:1 with American food just being trash aping the form of food.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

A Festivus Miracle posted:

'American' cheese is not actually cheese in any meaningful sense, so this actually tracks 1:1 with American food just being trash aping the form of food.

shaddup

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I feel dirty defending white Americans of all people, but anyone who thinks certain groups of human beings 'have no culture' is a loving idiot with a childlike understanding of the concept of culture

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I once bought some guacamole at the store which according to the ingredients list was 4% avacadoes. Tasted horribly.

It was some Swedish brand.

So no one is innocent in food crimes.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

No more food crime chat, plz.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Thing I just realized: GWS has no food crimes thread. They are all in PYF.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Phlegmish posted:

I feel dirty defending white Americans of all people, but anyone who thinks certain groups of human beings 'have no culture' is a loving idiot with a childlike understanding of the concept of culture

Yeah, there are more varieties of white people than interior paint.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Unrelated to the current discussion, before a couple of weeks ago plantar fasciitis was just some weird thing that happened to other people, and I am now fully aware of what it is and I'm not happy about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

a seagull posted:

Unrelated to the current discussion, before a couple of weeks ago plantar fasciitis was just some weird thing that happened to other people, and I am now fully aware of what it is and I'm not happy about it.

Ahhh

Welcome, friend