Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

can’t remember, was Bobby Stockholm one of the Teletubbies or a Boohbah?
Robert Stockholm discovered the syndrome that causes working class Tories.

e: 173 is an odious and deficient number

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OwlFancier posted:

I think this seems like an instance where you, as an adult, would need to explain to your children that as they get older there are some things they will need to do that their younger siblings can not do, and sometimes this will involve getting the bus.

Also, why can't you use public transport with your children? They get cheaper fares, that's the entire point.

This assumes that you can ride with your children on public transport, that they get off the bus to go to school and the public transport then takes you onto your work which is on the same route.
Or that you have enough time to get a different bus/train to get to work after overseeing your kid get to school.

Time is a huge factor with public transport. Even if the schedule was more frequent to allow you to get a bus or train when it was convenient, you still have to deal with the fact that if you are taking multiple buses or trains, it will probably take as long as a car journey even with crazy traffic.

And yes some kids are comfortable taking public transport on their own at very young ages. Some aren't. And for some, it's just not an option at all. (If the child has a disability, suffers from a trauma, the parent has a trauma that means they can't leave the child alone, other safety concerns.)

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don’t drive so have no car in this fight but how do you get a bus to two different schools with two different children at the same time unless you’re lucky enough that both schools are miraculously on the same route?

Here's how it works here. The children get the same school bus from home to the bus station. There, they hang around for a bit with their friends until all the other school buses from other parts of the town/countryside have dropped off more kids.

Then they part company and get on the respective buses that go to their separate schools. The buses drive to the schools and drop the pupils off. At the end of the school day the process repeats but in reverse.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The Question IRL posted:

This assumes that you can ride with your children on public transport, that they get off the bus to go to school and the public transport then takes you onto your work which is on the same route.
Or that you have enough time to get a different bus/train to get to work after overseeing your kid get to school.

Time is a huge factor with public transport. Even if the schedule was more frequent to allow you to get a bus or train when it was convenient, you still have to deal with the fact that if you are taking multiple buses or trains, it will probably take as long as a car journey even with crazy traffic.

And yes some kids are comfortable taking public transport on their own at very young ages. Some aren't. And for some, it's just not an option at all. (If the child has a disability, suffers from a trauma, the parent has a trauma that means they can't leave the child alone, other safety concerns.)

You guys keep talking about public transport like school children have to get on a regular bus with other people to get from and to school. Don't you have dedicated buses (or taxis / mini-busses) for that which only go from the parents home to school and back?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

His Divine Shadow posted:

You guys keep talking about public transport like school children have to get on a regular bus with other people to get from and to school. Don't you have dedicated buses (or taxis / mini-busses) for that which only go from the parents home to school and back?

No, UK/Ireland doesn't have dedicated school buses

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I had to get 4 public buses a day (first bus euughhhhhh) from when I was 11 to 18. 2 on the way to school, 2 back.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Time is a killer for public transport over any kind of distance unless you live on a particularly convenient route.

My old job was a 10 minute drive if I got a lift off someone or a 45 minute bus ride, because the only bus near me that also went near my office went in every direction except my office for the first 30 minutes of the journey.

I usually just walked because I’d get there in about the same time.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

His Divine Shadow posted:

In some rural areas contracted mini bus owners do primary school runs.

My highschool bus was a public transport bus, although almost never had non-pupils on it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Aphex- posted:

I had to get 4 public buses a day (first bus euughhhhhh) from when I was 11 to 18. 2 on the way to school, 2 back.

I only had to do 1 each way, followed by a 25 min walk through the city centre and up a massively steep hill (fun when icey). But sometimes the bus just wouldn't turn up due to reasons, and you'd have to wait in the pissing rain for about 40 mins ( :argh: ) and end up missing the first subject ( :yaycloud: )

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Failed Imagineer posted:

We have dedicated school buses in the North East. They belong to the local bus company, but it's a direct route that only kids can use.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

domhal posted:

In some rural areas contracted mini bus owners do primary school runs.

Yeah that's how it is here where I live, mini-bus with school signs covering the taxi signs and takes my kids to school from home. But also larger runs with entire buses for larger schools. The bus will have a label where the route is saying it's a school bus.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Failed Imagineer posted:

They had something that got me to school when I was living in the middle of the Yorkshire Moors in the 70s, and I'm pretty sure it was dedicated to schoolkids. Another casualty of Thatcherism/austerity?

Ed, ah, explained above

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I agree with Question IRL on this. While the American yellow school bus is a good system and should be implemented here/elsewhere it isn't entirely universal and mostly depends on the American suburb system. Out in more rural areas these aren't as funded and they won't/can't pick you up no matter where your home is. In my own experience living briefly in rural America, this was the case and my relatives had to either drop their child off at school themselves or bring them to a bus stop halfway between home and the school.

Similar issues will absolutely be faced in the UK, especially in more rural areas. It won't matter if the State has infinite money, there will always be 5% of students who live in an awkward area just a little too far away from school to make a consistently workable system.

Again, focusing on my own experience in rural Ireland, everyone in my village had to get picked up at a certain location. It was walkable for me, but this wasn't the case for some of my classmates. Additional buses would be ideal, but I don't think sending a bus to pick up three or four kids is much better than having two cars take each family, for example. While one could argue that they could bike to these locations this wouldn't account for additional storage for the bikes, the ages of the children (some might still be considered too young to/have issues which prevent them from travelling alone), or even something as simple as poor weather in the winter.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

xtothez posted:

We have dedicated school buses in the North East. They belong to the local bus company, but it's a direct route that only kids can use.

I had the same in the south west when I went to secondary school, the school car park had a line of dedicated coach bays for them to park up.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Failed Imagineer posted:

We don't have dedicated school buses in the way the US has those yellow things, but dedicated school routes do exist in places.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
In case anyone is quite interested https://www.highland.gov.uk/info/878/schools/12/school_transport

Your child may be eligible for free school transport if they are:

- Under 8 and live more than 2 miles from school
- 8 or over and live more than 3 miles from school
- Have a medical condition or additional support needs that affects mobility
- Would have to walk a route which is considered by us to be unsafe for children to walk, even when accompanied by an adult

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Failed Imagineer posted:

I only had to do 1 each way, followed by a 25 min walk through the city centre and up a massively steep hill (fun when icey). But sometimes the bus just wouldn't turn up due to reasons, and you'd have to wait in the pissing rain for about 40 mins ( :argh: ) and end up missing the first subject ( :yaycloud: )

The best is when you get an absolute prick of a bus driver who decides he can't be arsed to stop for the school kids so just drives past the stop with a half empty bus, completely ignoring you. That happened at least once a week for me.

I listened to a LOT of music during that time though (minidiscs ftw).

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I had the same in the south west when I went to secondary school, the school car park had a line of dedicated coach bays for them to park up.

That's how it is at the high school I work at. We have about 1200 students. There are 5-6 dedicated buses that transport students to/from school every day. There's one town nearby that students get the regular bus from because there aren't enough students that come I guess.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pablo Bluth posted:

We don't have dedicated school buses in the way the US has those yellow things, but dedicated school routes do exist in places.

Yeah, happy to be corrected by multiple people that such things do apparently exist in some areas in a fairly ad-hoc fashion

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I would guess there's a relationship between the amount and quality of school bus routes and Stagecoach...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

A rare win for the proletariat. Wild camping is again official a form of recreation.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jul/31/wild-camping-dartmoor-court-appeal

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's not really necessary that every last child is served by a school bus. Inevitably there will be some who can't use it for whatever reason. But the outliers The Question IRL talks about are not an argument against improving public transport and discouraging car use - if you take 90% of the school run cars off the road then you've done a lot to solve the problem and the roads become better for the 10% who absolutely have to drive their kids in as well.

You do really have to do the improving public transport bit though, and ideally do it before you start wielding the stick against drivers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skull Servant posted:

It won't matter if the State has infinite money, there will always be 5% of students who live in an awkward area just a little too far away from school to make a consistently workable system.
Reducing school run traffic by 95% is good enough for me, perfect is the enemy of good.

(Starmer is also the enemy of good, but for different reasons.)

Socializing kids to use buses from as early on as possible would be the best way of achieving that, and you could do it by granting free bus travel to anyone travelling with a child under x years old. You'd also probably get some stupid conspiracy shite about gangs of swarthy Swedes passing around the same 3 year old to get free travel but you get that with everything.

e: ^^ :hfive:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I remember dedicated buses getting people to my secondary school in the 90s.

I also remember catching the dedicated bus to college in the next town.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Just put more money into actually building cycle highways instead of spaffing it up the wall on all these makebelieve projects that are never going to happen.

Oh and put every motorist on the barge and sink it into the ocean.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

big scary monsters posted:

It's not really necessary that every last child is served by a school bus. Inevitably there will be some who can't use it for whatever reason. But the outliers The Question IRL talks about are not an argument against improving public transport and discouraging car use - if you take 90% of the school run cars off the road then you've done a lot to solve the problem and the roads become better for the 10% who absolutely have to drive their kids in as well.

You do really have to do the improving public transport bit though, and ideally do it before you start wielding the stick against drivers.

As I was reading the last two pages, my brain has been saying this over and over again. There are always outliers, there are always some people who simply can’t get the bus. That doesn’t mean we should enable the vast majority who can, it would instantly improve the roads around here and make it safer for everyone and less deeply unpleasant for those who really do need to use the road at those times.

I don’t think anywhere near as many people need to drive as think they do, there is a huge mindset shift needed to make people realise that they are not a wonderfully special exception who should be allowed to do whatever they want while everyone else gets the bus, I get it if you’re really having difficulties, but I know people round here who drive their kids to school because getting the bus would mean leaving home a whole ten minutes earlier.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

See the thing is, most of the time people having to use their cars is actually legit. It's when you get these loving rich cunts with their Pajero tank that seats 9 even though there's 2 people in this couple, driving 500m to the shops and having someone pop inside to grab the milk while they idle in the car park, all whilst having a licence off the back of a wheaties box and no requirement to ever validate your ability to still loving drive properely or even have the faintest of scoobies about the road laws and how they actually loving work.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Here have some driver brainworms just to exacerbate the point.
https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1684192873774821378

It's a real roundabout way of saying you should never have been given a licence.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Most Laurence Fox tweets I spend more time looking at the peedo than reading anything he's saying.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A net zero speed limit would presumably involve driving in reverse half the distance, which would probably be a quite effective method of disincentivizing car usage.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Diet Crack posted:

See the thing is, most of the time people having to use their cars is actually legit. It's when you get these loving rich cunts with their Pajero tank that seats 9 even though there's 2 people in this couple, driving 500m to the shops and having someone pop inside to grab the milk while they idle in the car park, all whilst having a licence off the back of a wheaties box and no requirement to ever validate your ability to still loving drive properely or even have the faintest of scoobies about the road laws and how they actually loving work.

There's also that once you get a car, it allows you access to housing, activities, routines, which require a car. Since it's personal and There's alot of fixed costs to car ownership, once you have one you are encouraged to use it more and more, which ends on driving 5 minutes to the shops and therefore supporting/living in more car-centric infrastructure...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

Here have some driver brainworms just to exacerbate the point.
https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1684192873774821378

It's a real roundabout way of saying you should never have been given a licence.

Great choice of photo, he either looks like he just smelled himself for the first time or tried to squeak out a quiet one and felt warm liquid rolling down his cheeks.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

School buses should not be that colourful, it creates a dangerously welcoming environment for children.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"Given the occupants this bus clearly originated from Calais"
-MPs at the Commons

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bring in the interrogator.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
the other major thing which sucks about cars in cities is that parking on the pavements turns a lot of two-way streets into one-way streets

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Reducing school run traffic by 95% is good enough for me, perfect is the enemy of good.

(Starmer is also the enemy of good, but for different reasons.)

Socializing kids to use buses from as early on as possible would be the best way of achieving that, and you could do it by granting free bus travel to anyone travelling with a child under x years old. You'd also probably get some stupid conspiracy shite about gangs of swarthy Swedes passing around the same 3 year old to get free travel but you get that with everything.

e: ^^ :hfive:

I absolutely 100% agree with this. I was more arguing against the point that private cars have no place in school runs. I was just attempting to highlight some issues in more rural areas because I find that a lot of leftist debate around these issues ignores/is ignorant of just how remote and awkward some places can be :)

The vast majority of kids, even in rural areas, can and should use public transit, even at a younger age. There's next to no danger to them, especially if each bus limits itself to one school per bus.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Northern Ireland has dedicated school buses. They're not specialist buses like the US has, just part of the regular public transport fleet that are re-routed to cater to the school run. I've seen yellow school buses in Ireland but don't know how they operate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
special schools have yella buses that pick up each person from their home