Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Don't want to come across as defending brands here because I'm not, but this doesn't address the actual contents or quality of the products, just points out that they are made by the same brands. Which is only half the equation. There's lots of cases where the same brand will do a cheaper offbrand version of a product but they do it by greatly widening their tolerance limits and/or reducing the quality standards and changing the ingredients. Taking the infant formula example from that page - just because it's made by Abbott doesn't mean that it's an identical product to their flagship formulas. It very well may be, but you can only determine that by looking at what the ingredient mix is and what the tolerances are on the manufacturing, you can't just say "same company, therefore identical".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

ouch. there it is

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Marenghi posted:

Bots talking to bots.

That owns.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There is literally no incentive to care and everyone finally realised it

The only incentive that would make sense in a world with no future and a dying biosphere is a combo of money and free time, two things I have been told my entire life you finally get when you retire at 65 with your investments.

Lol, lmao. Imagine going to work and pretending things will more or less stay the same while you save for retirement and work on promotions for 2 decades.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
those drat unions again asking for pension payments for retired people forcing plucky $5bn company who took $700mm in covid aid to shut down.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Housewives will love this!

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Thoguh posted:

Don't want to come across as defending brands here because I'm not, but this doesn't address the actual contents or quality of the products, just points out that they are made by the same brands. Which is only half the equation. There's lots of cases where the same brand will do a cheaper offbrand version of a product but they do it by greatly widening their tolerance limits and/or reducing the quality standards and changing the ingredients. Taking the infant formula example from that page - just because it's made by Abbott doesn't mean that it's an identical product to their flagship formulas. It very well may be, but you can only determine that by looking at what the ingredient mix is and what the tolerances are on the manufacturing, you can't just say "same company, therefore identical".

not uncommon for manufacturing places to basically rent out their equipment to other brands

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The company went under because it was found out the executives had never paid into the pension fund like they were obligated too and when we're ordered too they just did a company closure lol

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Mr Hootington posted:

The company went under because it was found out the executives had never paid into the pension fund like they were obligated too and when we're ordered too they just did a company closure lol

sounds like alpha mindset and smart business sense to me. now start up orange trucking with all that saved cash

:smugdon:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

They should be given the death penalty.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

I’d like to know what yellow did to that 700m loan trump gave them?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

sonatinas posted:

I’d like to know what yellow did to that 700m loan trump gave them?

The ppp loan biden forgave?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

FistEnergy posted:

sounds like alpha mindset and smart business sense to me. now start up orange trucking with all that saved cash

:smugdon:

would their logo be yellow

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got a minute into that Report and it was just talking about stock values and marginal gains for logistics companies. Not even pretending to care about the people who just got their lives ruined lol very grim

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

If I'm understanding the reporting correctly it looks like Yellow had only missed one payment of $50 million to the pension fund? It doesn't seem to have been a long term thing.

They also didn't make their employee health insurance payment. America!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

In Training posted:

I got a minute into that Report and it was just talking about stock values and marginal gains for logistics companies. Not even pretending to care about the people who just got their lives ruined lol very grim

At the very end they :mensch: it a bit

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Mr Hootington posted:

It's been coming for a while, the execs spent money like water. They got a bailout under the CARES act and used it mostly to acquire smaller companies (like the one my stepdad used to work at)

Anybody got any of them jobs? Could really use a couple jobs here :smith:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

In Training posted:

They should be given the death penalty.

sadly this is america, not china, and they will be given big executive parachutes and run another corporation. maybe John Deere??

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Thoguh posted:

this is true although I’d add it’s also common for flag brands not to care about tolerances either anymore. costs too much, why bother

but yes the various Costco brands have been more or less well known for awhile, not news worthy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/07/california-homelessness-housing-crisis/674737/?utm_source=apple_news

quote:

The Root Cause of the Homelessness Crisis

Researchers at UC San Francisco have released the largest representative survey of homeless people in more than 25 years.

Thirty percent of the American homeless population and 50 percent of its unsheltered population live in California, more than 170,000 people total. Homelessness is primarily a function of the broader housing-unaffordability crisis, which in turn is primarily a function of how difficult local governments have made building new housing in the places that need it the most.

Pundits and politicians routinely claim that the California homelessness crisis is actually a result of people moving from other states for better weather or better public benefits. But new research casts doubt on this theory. Last month, researchers at UC San Francisco released the largest representative survey of homeless people in more than 25 years. It comprises survey data from 3,200 homeless people in California and in-depth interviews with more than 300 of them.

The homelessness crisis is being caused by people with no money moving to the most expensive state in America for nicer weather. My brain is very good.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Capitalism today is the same as it was in 1700. People keep trying to sell books. Boots is wrong.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Biden is the sole source of American misery.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Thoguh posted:

I've read that manufacturers will do special versions of their products for Walmart that look identical to the same products that are sold in other stores but are more cheaply made so that they can keep up with Walmart constantly squeezing them for lower prices.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Trend lately at work is that hiring for all product-making positions are frozen. Someone leaves? Headcount goes down.

But the coterie of director-level people to help the GM "make decisions" keeps increasing! While spending lots of cash on consultants to do the same.

It's very efficient.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

e: wrong thread

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Thoguh posted:

5 years ago i would have said baby formula is going to be the same from every manufacturer because of strict standards

last year i would have said probably should buy baby formula from one of the big brands

now i would say just buy it from aliexpress, absolutely no one gives a poo poo so you might as well save a few bucks

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Jel Shaker posted:

5 years ago i would have said baby formula is going to be the same from every manufacturer because of strict standards

last year i would have said probably should buy baby formula from one of the big brands

now i would say just buy it from aliexpress, absolutely no one gives a poo poo so you might as well save a few bucks
At least in China they'll execute you for selling tainted baby formula.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

lol owned

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

cat botherer posted:

At least in China they'll execute you for selling tainted baby formula.

In America you get a golden parachute and get an executive job at another company.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

thank you joe

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they should stop paying wages in reals then

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Paradoxish posted:

The exception for bitcoin is honestly very funny

This is likely because Bitcoin, unlike essentially all other cryptocurrencies, never had an "ICO" or similar event. Bitcoin arose somewhat organically and was not initially sold as an investment product. So the SEC views it more like gold (and hence not a security).

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

lol, sure it loving has

Backcountry
Jan 16, 2009

Shorts closing their positions

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1686041780247248897?t=WgPl09Cao7HBoUxn7gaQeA&s=19

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the sec is loving dumb

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Don't worry. The PREMIUM CONSUMER will buy up all the new car stock, and as they replace it, the stock will trickle down to regular folk

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Mr Hootington posted:

The ppp loan biden forgave?

it wasn’t a ppp loan. us govt owns like 30% now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

unusual_whales is one of those accounts liberals would just excuse away as posting unverifiable things.

The smart people say everything is great.