Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Russ is a sensitive soul and has to be handled delicately, unlike the defenses he played last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mike Sando's QB Tiers article is up: https://archive.ph/tFwYF

Tier 1:
1) Patrick Mahomes
2) Joe Burrow
3) Josh Allen
4) Aaron Rodgers
5) Justin Herbert

Tier 2:

6) Jalen Hurts
7) Lamar Jackson
8) Trevor Lawrence
9) Dak Prescott
10) Matthew Stafford
11) Deshaun Watson
12) Kirk Cousins

Tier 3

13) Kyler Murray
14) Derek Carr
15) Jared Goff
16) Russell Wilson
17) Tua Tagovailoa
18) Jimmy Garoppollo
19) Daniel Jones
20) Geno Smith
21) Justin Fields
22) Ryan Tannehill
23) Mac Jones

Tier 4:

24) Brock Purdy
25) Kenny Pickett
26) Jordan Love
26) Baker Mayfield
28) Sam Howell
29) Desmond Ridder
30) Gardner Minshew

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Views from dat qb list:
  • Herbie should be 2
  • Unsure about Watson being that high
  • Geno disrespect is out of control
  • Falcons gonna be something else this year

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Kalli posted:

Tier 2:

12) Kirk Cousins

Tier 3

15) Jared Goff

I think this is the main one I would take issue with. Goff is 6 years younger (how was he only 28 last year?), and had a better year last year than Kirk has had in his entire career.

And as good as ASB is, Goff also isn't throwing to Justin Jefferson.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'd rather have Love than a bunch of those T3 guys. Also, hurts and lamar should be in the T1.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kalli posted:

I love how every QB is shown in uniform wearing a helmet, but this is Jimmy G's mugshot:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Kalli posted:

Tier 1:
1) Patrick Mahomes
2) Joe Burrow
3) Josh Allen
4) Aaron Rodgers
5) Justin Herbert

Tier 2:

6) Jalen Hurts
7) Lamar Jackson
8) Trevor Lawrence
9) Dak Prescott
10) Matthew Stafford
11) Deshaun Watson
12) Kirk Cousins

Tier 3

13) Kyler Murray
14) Derek Carr
15) Jared Goff
16) Russell Wilson
17) Tua Tagovailoa
18) Jimmy Garoppollo
19) Daniel Jones
20) Geno Smith
21) Justin Fields
22) Ryan Tannehill
23) Mac Jones

Tier 4:

24) Brock Purdy
25) Kenny Pickett
26) Jordan Love
26) Baker Mayfield
28) Sam Howell
29) Desmond Ridder
30) Gardner Minshew

lol this list sucks, man

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is rodgers even a top 15 qb now?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Tua seems a hit low imo but for the most part I think the tiers are good. Derek's headed to tier-1 though baby I tell you what

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

abelwingnut posted:

lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

abelwingnut posted:

Come on man.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Big "Aaron Rodgers cannot fail, he can only be failed" vibes coming off of that placement. Maybe reuniting him with Hackett will be a positive change but I'll believe it when I see it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

In case anyone else didn’t realize, it’s an aggregate ranking from a survey of “50 NFL coaches and execs”. Wilson and especially Watson sure seem to be getting a huge pass for last season. Tua feels too low. Agree about Lamar and Hurts as well.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

is kyler murray even playing this year

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kalli posted:

Tier 3
17) Tua Tagovailoa

from the article:

"A Tier 3 quarterback is a legitimate starter but needs a heavier running game and/or defensive component to win. A lower-volume dropback passing offense suits him best."

2022 Tua famously benefitting from Miami's heavy running game and elite defense:

Miami 2022 rushing attempts: 390 (31st)
Miami 2022 team defense points allowed: 399 (24th)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

C-Euro posted:

Big "Aaron Rodgers cannot fail, he can only be failed" vibes coming off of that placement. Maybe reuniting him with Hackett will be a positive change but I'll believe it when I see it.

He's one season removed from back-to-back MVPs. He was playing with a broken thumb and visibly displeased with the Packers organization in 2022. Father Time might strike him down any moment now, of course, but I won't write him off until I actually see it happening.

That said I think going to the Jets is largely a lateral move for him offense-wise. I don't see that Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall are meaningfully better than Christian Watson and Aaron Jones, and the Jets offensive line is significantly worse than the Packers OL. Rodgers's success this season is gonna be really reliant on Saleh's defense holding up their end of the bargain.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Purdy to tier 3, Garoppolo, Mac Jones, Wilson to tier 4.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
That quote from some NFL man really excited for mahomes to play like an old man is gross

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

He's one season removed from back-to-back MVPs. He was playing with a broken thumb and visibly displeased with the Packers organization in 2022. Father Time might strike him down any moment now, of course, but I won't write him off until I actually see it happening.

That said I think going to the Jets is largely a lateral move for him offense-wise. I don't see that Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall are meaningfully better than Christian Watson and Aaron Jones, and the Jets offensive line is significantly worse than the Packers OL. Rodgers's success this season is gonna be really reliant on Saleh's defense holding up their end of the bargain.

My only issue with this post is you not seeing the difference between Garrett Wilson and Christian Watson

what

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

Miami might, honestly. They don’t give a poo poo about draft picks or money and McDaniel just saw his mentor spend the same on CMC.

Haven’t been paying attention to Miami of you genuinely think Miami doesn’t give a poo poo about money

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

mcmagic posted:

I'd rather have Love than a bunch of those T3 guys. Also, hurts and lamar should be in the T1.

Why? Regarding Love -

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

kiimo posted:

My only issue with this post is you not seeing the difference between Garrett Wilson and Christian Watson

what

Wilson got a lot more volume but produced yards at a similar rate as Watson. Once Watson got over his early-season drops he put together a nearly all-time stretch of games in November. Tied Moss's rookie record.

They're different players with different strengths but I don't think Wilson is a clear tier above Watson is what I meant.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bows1 posted:

Why? Regarding Love -

You wouldn't rather have Love than guys like Daniel or Mac Jones or Ryan Tannehill who we know are dogshit? I feel like Love will be easily better than those guys.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I can see it, an unknown is better than a mediocre known. None of those guys are good enough to beat the top teams in the playoffs, so might as well gamble and hope you get lucky.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah it brings me no pleasure to day this but I think both Wilson and Hall are budding stars. I mean Wilson won OROY with probably the worst QB play in the last 5 years. Breece needs to actually show it for a full season but he was looking electric before getting hurt.

Watson and Jones are good too. But if I was making my own tier thing Wilson at least would be a tier above.

“Most TD scored over a 4-game span for a rookie WR in NFL history” is real but also such a cherry picked stat just to set up the bit that he’s Randy Moss 2 (nobody is Randy Moss)

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 31, 2023

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Physical contact resumes 210 days after dying on the field.

https://twitter.com/BuffaloBills/status/1686016312005255168

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Love is coming into a really healthy situation for a fresh QB. Green Bay has a top 5 offensive line, one of the best RBs in the league and a solid backup, and has been investing heavily in WR and TE. LaFleur might be a pussy but he's a good offensive coach. The expectations and pressure are also fairly low right now, no one's expecting the Packers to get a third consecutive Hall of Fame quarterback -- half the fanbase expects him to suck out loud and are just waiting to see it happen.

Compare that to the Bucs, Patriots, Commanders, Texans, Colts...

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kalli posted:

Tier 1:
1) Patrick Mahomes
2) Joe Burrow
3) Josh Allen
4) Aaron Rodgers
5) Justin Herbert

Tier 2:

6) Jalen Hurts
7) Lamar Jackson
8) Trevor Lawrence
9) Dak Prescott
10) Matthew Stafford
11) Deshaun Watson
12) Kirk Cousins

Tier 3

13) Kyler Murray
14) Derek Carr
15) Jared Goff
16) Russell Wilson
17) Tua Tagovailoa
18) Jimmy Garoppollo
19) Daniel Jones
20) Geno Smith
21) Justin Fields
22) Ryan Tannehill
23) Mac Jones

Tier 4:

24) Brock Purdy
25) Kenny Pickett
26) Jordan Love
26) Baker Mayfield
28) Sam Howell
29) Desmond Ridder
30) Gardner Minshew

I think this list pisses off anyone who isn't Mahomes Allen or Burrow

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That list is wrong because any QB list should be

Tier 1: Mahomes.

I don't care about any of the rest, but no one else is on Pat's level. There will be others, but he's the prototype.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Forrest on Fire posted:

I think this list pisses off anyone who isn't Mahomes Allen or Burrow

Nope, still pissed off that like a third of the voters put Allen as a "Tier 2" guy.

e: ^^^ but I agree Mahomes should be in his own tier.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also 2023 Throw Rogan might be tier 3.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think the guys that put burrow and allen in tier 2 were subscribed to the same thinking as everyone on here says a few times a week about mahomes. it's right

don't understand the herbert stuff. not going to think about it. going to replace it with the big crap i took a while ago after i woke up. aaaahhh!!!! what a GOOD crap!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I guess true about Love but just because hes an unknown doesnt mean that he automatically jumps above those guys. He could really suck and flame out too...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Mr. Nice! posted:

That list is wrong because any QB list should be

Tier 1: Mahomes.

I don't care about any of the rest, but no one else is on Pat's level. There will be others, but he's the prototype.
Mahomes should be Tier 0. Tier 0 isn't much bigger than Mahomes, Brady, Montana. Only QBs that can seriously be put in the Great of All Time discussion.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

is kyler murray even playing this year

Is there a new Call of Duty coming out this year?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Rodgers's success this season is gonna be really reliant on Saleh's defense holding up their end of the bargain.
I probably don't agree with a few of your points there but the defensive one is spot on and probably where he's going to see the most improvement.

Jets we're 5th in defensive DVOA and 3rd in 2nd half defensive DVOA. The Packers were 32nd in Late and Close situations and like 27th in 2nd half defensive DVOA. Defenses can swing year to year obviously but the Jets are a significant upgrade on the other side of the ball. He hasn't played with a defense like that since their 2010 team.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Views from dat qb list:
  • Herbie should be 2
  • Unsure about Watson being that high
  • Geno disrespect is out of control
  • Falcons gonna be something else this year

The Geno blurb was basically, "this is one of the biggest year to year jumps we've measured; he needs to do it for more than one year to be tier 2." Which I think is fair.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The Bucs are a pretty decent situation. But their quarterbacks are rear end.

I would probably take Love over any older Quarterback in Tier 3 at least, if only for UPSIDE POTENTIAL.

I do think it's going to be fascinating watching the Packers this year without Aaron Rodgers, as no Aaron Rodgers should probably completely change the shape of the defenses that the Packers have to deal with.

Gonna be interesting to see the Packers RB core when they might have to run into more run stopping fronts, vs when Rodgers is back there and teams are playing to try and minimize what Rodgers can do.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Is there a new Call of Duty coming out this year?

fair point

is kyler murray even playing football this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Soul Glo posted:

fair point

is kyler murray even playing football this year

Prooobably, if only for an audition for another team.

Isn't he supposed to be back around like week 5 or 6?