Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Personal Lucubrant posted:

All these gutterspeak brits who can't pronounce vowels correctly are getting to me. My internal monologue just read "Alpeeen" instead of Alpine. gently caress.

From wikipedia:

French pronunciation: [allbin]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

the milk machine posted:

it was definitely a "racing incident" but i don't think you can just dive bomb the corner like that at the race start and expect to be just fine when 3-4 cars are about the turn across you

I would not categorize that as a dive bomb. They were side by side until Sainz’s lockup. Do agree that it’s a racing incident.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Whichever way you cut it, it's fair to say making pissy comments in the pen and then doubling down about it on Twitter after binning your race in a T1 incident is :sad:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Racing incident for sure, Oscar will learn not to get into that position in future, but also he was fully entitled to take the corner

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frond posted:

This is approaching 1992/2002/2004 levels of awful. It will likely be the worst season I’ve ever watched.

2013 might have been my least favorite. 2004 was horrendous though

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Thanks Ants posted:

Racing incident for sure, Oscar will learn not to get into that position in future, but also he was fully entitled to take the corner

yeah that's what i was trying to get at

Charles Leclerc posted:

Whichever way you cut it, it's fair to say making pissy comments in the pen and then doubling down about it on Twitter after binning your race in a T1 incident is :sad:

indeed

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i wore my Williams shirt to work and i've had 3 people stop me to talk about f1. i wont make this mistake again

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Sunk Dunk posted:

i wore my Williams shirt to work and i've had 3 people stop me to talk about f1. i wont make this mistake again

did you survey them on whether this season is better or worse than previous ones? we need the data so we can objectively figure it out

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Frond posted:

My hot take is that the Alpine’s chassis is probably pretty good, it’s engine is just off.

That was the case last year as well. The 2022 Alpine was a sturdy car that didn't have the same porpoising issues that turned Lewis's spine into powder but its engine was kinda poo poo. The car got screwed further by the changes to address porpoising which left the sturdy frame Alpine heavier than other cars.

Apart from the bizarre wobbly rear wing at Montreal I don't know if much has changed with the 2023 car all that much.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
A good race is not about the number of overtakes on a chart. A good race is about vibes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It didn't shed its sidepods in preseason testing, which is an improvement. Alpine have barbecued a couple of engines this year though.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
As an :911: I wear my Frank Williams riding a Pirelli clad wheelchair and 2014 USGP shirts quite often and almost no one ever comments on either one. When they do it’s:
“F1 huh?”
“Yeah, do you follow it?”
“Nah”
Then I consider recommending it, but just silently pay for my sandwich instead.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

As an :911: I wear my Frank Williams riding a Pirelli clad wheelchair and 2014 USGP shirts quite often and almost no one ever comments on either one. When they do it’s:
“F1 huh?”
“Yeah, do you follow it?”
“Nah”
Then I consider recommending it, but just silently pay for my sandwich instead.

Perhaps you should buy a shirt with Frank Williams ripping a rented Ford Sierra around the French countryside instead.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Vando posted:

Mika knew :finland:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

A good race is not about the number of overtakes on a chart. A good race is about vibes.

Feels like overtake numbers would be very polluted by engine penalties by the end of the season.

Also if Checo screws up qualifying and then passes 10 cars to get from 15th to 5th, is that ten overtakes? Is that “good racing”?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

smackfu posted:

Feels like overtake numbers would be very polluted by engine penalties by the end of the season.

Also if Checo screws up qualifying and then passes 10 cars to get from 15th to 5th, is that ten overtakes? Is that “good racing”?

I mean Hamilton did it a few times where they'd bolt in a brand new engine and gearbox and he'd go through the field like they were all in Formula Vees. It wasn't really racing so much as a technical demonstration of just how much faster their car was.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Charles Leclerc posted:

I mean Hamilton did it a few times where they'd bolt in a brand new engine and gearbox and he'd go through the field like they were all in Formula Vees. It wasn't really racing so much as a technical demonstration of just how much faster their car was.

The top three teams all were that and the commentators/idiots were jerking themselves off every time one of them started from the back and drove up to 6th. The only difference now is that only the red Bull can do that as opposed to multiple teams in the past

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

smackfu posted:

reminded by a list of "most overtakes" from the 2004 season where the number one driver for overtakes was Zsolt Baumgartner, because that is what happens when you start dead last every race

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

tony quidtana posted:

The top three teams all were that and the commentators/idiots were jerking themselves off every time one of them started from the back and drove up to 6th. The only difference now is that only the red Bull can do that as opposed to multiple teams in the past

Yeah, you can't fault them for building an insanely good car that is the class of the field, it's the entire point of the sport, but framing it in any way as exciting is dumb as hell. Perhaps even worse is half-heartedly claiming its good because there's a battle for 10th place, which would happen anyway, the only difference is you're seeing the battle for 10th because the sharp end is preordained and not worth broadcasting lol.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

tony quidtana posted:

WHAT AN INCREDIBLE DRIVE BY HAMILTON TO FINISH 3RD HERE AT THE ARAMCO CHILD MURDER GRAND PRIX OF gently caress TOWN. A HISTORICAL PERFORMANCE

"And fastest lap by over second to boot, crofty! Who could've seen that coming!"

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hamilton's drive in Brazil with the new engine from the back 🥶

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Charles Leclerc posted:

This is exactly how I feel.

We're supposed to be on his side because he decided he needed to make an irresponsible turn 1 lap 1 move and he got stuffed? gently caress off man, you have a better car than the Ferrari, give it a loving turn before you divebomb into a 150 degree corner.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
what's the race from a couple years ago that had rain but it stopped, so all the drivers went in for slicks but lewis stayed out on inters and expertly wore them down to slicks and won

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

the milk machine posted:

what's the race from a couple years ago that had rain but it stopped, so all the drivers went in for slicks but lewis stayed out on inters and expertly wore them down to slicks and won

Hungary 2021! This is also the Bottas bowling race.

Edit: Lewis didn't get in there that time though.

Abisteen fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 31, 2023

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

the milk machine posted:

That kind of sounds like Hungary 2021, but Bottas took out all the other front runners and Hamilton pitted almost immediately.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
hmm I might be confusing that with the race where he finished / won(?) with blown rear tyres

lewis is good

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Footage of the next Ferrari race cars has leaked...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SlO5_ykips

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wow they managed to do those upgrades within the cost cap??

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

the milk machine posted:

2020 Turkey?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Abisteen posted:

Lewis didn't get in there that time though.
This is blasphemy and you must face death by fire as an apostate
Lewis has been in there since before birth (high Christology)

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm like 80% sure this is the worst season ever.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Pook Good Mook posted:

This is exactly how I feel.

We're supposed to be on his side because he decided he needed to make an irresponsible turn 1 lap 1 move and he got stuffed? gently caress off man, you have a better car than the Ferrari, give it a loving turn before you divebomb into a 150 degree corner.

it was sainz who brought it up after the race and on twitter. piastri was actually just like it's fine it was a racing incident so I think you misunderstood the post you replied to

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Charles Leclerc posted:

Yeah, you can't fault them for building an insanely good car that is the class of the field, it's the entire point of the sport, but framing it in any way as exciting is dumb as hell. Perhaps even worse is half-heartedly claiming its good because there's a battle for 10th place, which would happen anyway, the only difference is you're seeing the battle for 10th because the sharp end is preordained and not worth broadcasting lol.

It goes back to what I said that you need to have stakes to have the race be interesting and there just frankly hasn't been any this year. Then trying to sell Max starting from 6th this weekend was loving laughable because everyone knew he was just going to cruise past to a commanding lead by the end.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Can't believe next race is Zandvoort. Coming back from the break with a snoozer imo

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

the milk machine posted:

hmm I might be confusing that with the race where he finished / won(?) with blown rear tyres

lewis is good

I think it was Silverstone 2020 when he finished with a blown out tyre. Might've been a front though?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Abisteen posted:

Lewis didn't get in there that time though.

That's because he ran into a brick wall ChadNando

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kirios posted:

I'm like 80% sure this is the worst season ever.

is it worse than 1970 where 3 drivers died, including Jochen Rindt who won the WDC even though he died with 4 races left on the calendar

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Alaois posted:

is it worse than 1970 where 3 drivers died, including Jochen Rindt who won the WDC even though he died with 4 races left on the calendar

The points system back then favoured dead guys like Rindt, so it's not really a fair comparison.

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002
2014 was the worst season, apart from anything else because the cars had dongs on the front

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Furious George posted:

2014 was the worst season, apart from anything else because the cars had dongs on the front

Dicknoses were extremely cool and good???