Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
drat 1970 seems like it was fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sunk Dunk posted:

every single one of Jochen Rindt's points came from a race he won, and the only non-points scoring race he finished was in 13th

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The biggest dicknose of 2014 was the Toro Rosso

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

even aside from the dicknoses i think the 2009-2016 era of cars are among the ugliest, they're all weirdly stretched out and the narrow rear wing with the wide front wing just make them look disproportionate

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002
I think it was peak FIA trying to mess around with the rules without really having any idea what they were doing and what the consequences were

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You take that back

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Furious George posted:

I think it was peak FIA trying to mess around with the rules without really having any idea what they were doing and what the consequences were

I think the FIA may be suffering a priapism then

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Forget dick noses im ready for TFAB exhausts

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

tony quidtana posted:

Forget dick noses im ready for TFAB exhausts

lmao

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuKktQ2GD8w

this is sick

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sunk Dunk posted:

the 1989 ferrari ftw

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the 1989 ferrari ftw

It's always darkest before the dawn.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Usually if Ferrari went this long without challenging for wins they'd put some really good cheating together, what's happened there?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the 1989 ferrari ftw

I'm always surprised Ferrari's 90 campaign went as well as it did tbh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

tony quidtana posted:

They fixed the inherent issue which was the semi-automatic gearbox not getting enough power. Mansell winning the opening race has to be one of the least likely wins ever, that gearbox had no business surviving.

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

Usually if Ferrari went this long without challenging for wins they'd put some really good cheating together, what's happened there?

Max Mosely died and Bernie doesn't have any influence

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Charles Leclerc posted:

Dicknoses were extremely cool and good???

One of the hardest truths of modern motorsport

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

you do have to admit, the cars had something that really pulled you in

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Sunk Dunk posted:

If max were doing this again he'd be my favorite driver

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

We were robbed of the fabled triple dick nosed car. It was a tavesty that they stopped at just two dicks in one nose.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the 1989 ferrari ftw

Car never finished off the podium!!!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What are the empty boxes

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

tony quidtana posted:

Most of the issues were gear change related - that was resolved in 1990. Although one wonders how good the ‘89 car might have been with a conventional gearbox, then again it would have probably screwed the aero.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Thanks Ants posted:

What are the empty boxes

DNS/DNA.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bring back the days when you can finish 5th in the constructors while failing to either qualify or finish in half the races you entered

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the 1989 ferrari ftw

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Those 2 finishes were “classified” btw - meaning the car never crossed the finish line under it’s own power (it was pushed by Andrea across the line Belgium.)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

what about those open qualy years guys that retired before any race ever began

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's the bottom half of the 1989 season, didn't manage to do a thing called pre-qualifying which I am now going to look up what that means and how slow you have to be for that

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Zakspeed 891-Yamaha. Aguri Suzuki DNPQ’d 16 times - although that was mostly due to the fact that he was a rookie in a car that was like 50-100HP down on the others.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Frond posted:

Those 2 finishes were “classified” btw - meaning the car never crossed the finish line under it’s own power (it was pushed by Andrea across the line Belgium.)

pushed across the line is such an insane thing to think about these days, and there seem to be so many stories of cars getting pushed across from before.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
All new entries and the lowest finishing teams had to do it. It wasn’t only due to pace - as some, like Larrousse in 1990 were easily able to make it through each time.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

ilmucche posted:

pushed across the line is such an insane thing to think about these days, and there seem to be so many stories of cars getting pushed across from before.

It was eventually disallowed due to safety reasons. Even in the 80s it was really frowned upon.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Frond posted:

It was eventually disallowed due to safety reasons. Even in the 80s it was really frowned upon.

I'm suprised it wasn't outright banned after Mansell passed out or whatever doing it in '84. that seemed like the clearest indication that it could easily end very badly

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

being pissed at people who remember when things were better is pretty bad regardless

it's not even that, you're just all pissmoaning all the time when in 3 years when we have the most boring season in recorded history you'll point back to 2023 and be like "wow that was amazing in comparison" and thus the cycle continues in this being the absolute worst thread

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

nobody will ever point to 2023 as a good season

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
f1 manager 23 released today (just in time for the summer break! wow thanks ea) so now we can all prove our motorsport savvy in cyberspace instead of just posting about it

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

it's always the summer break when you don't watch f1

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ethanol posted:

nobody will ever point to 2023 as a good season

It was the season where McLaren returned to life before dominating in 2024, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Diet Crack posted:

it's not even that, you're just all pissmoaning all the time when in 3 years when we have the most boring season in recorded history you'll point back to 2023 and be like "wow that was amazing in comparison" and thus the cycle continues in this being the absolute worst thread

yeah just like all of the people insisting 1992, 2002, 2004 and 2011 were stellar seasons too

i seriously don't get what point you're trying to make