Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He even does the classic move of finally hiring someone to do x to shut up the people telling him he needs to delegate, and then makes sure they have no actual power or contribution by continuing to override or micromanage everything they do until they give up and become a yes-man or quit.

And sometimes they get fired as a scapegoat, when the numbers are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

Too bad he's poo poo at working, the stuff he micromanages is noticably worse for his influence.

It makes a tiny bit more sense when you realize that Vince books stuff solely to amuse himself, and that he legitimately gets mad whenever a wrestler that he doesn't like (for whatever reason) gets over with the audience.

I used to think that his end goal was to get an audience to react exactly how he wanted them to, but since he's been given absolute tons of money by the networks his shows are on and the House of Saud, he probably doesn't even care about that any more. He knows he can put on whatever he wants and he's going to get paid regardless (especially now that both TV writers and actors are on strike).

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

He's the ringmaster of a circus and the circus might as well be called "Vince McMahon's WWE"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol when Steve Austin first came to the WWE someone described him to Vince as a very good worker and Vince decided that if he was that good then his ringname should be... the ringmaster

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

they gave him a list of like the worst gimmicks imaginable and stone cold has been very open about how awful they all were lol

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

That's the other thing about Vince, he likes stupid gimmicks, he thinks they're funny and entertaining. He's a carny showing off his favorite collection of sideshow freaks. But you can't tell him most people don't, he's too far up his own rear end to comprehend it.

Vince 100% believed in and stood behind the Gobbledy Gooker as something that people would like.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 31, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Vince McMahon has covered up at least one murder and committed at least one rape.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Could be worse. Two, for example.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

Vince McMahon has covered up at least one murder and committed at least one rape.

Superfly Jimmy Snooka was his top face. Learn how to work kid.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

AlmightyBob posted:

they gave him a list of like the worst gimmicks imaginable and stone cold has been very open about how awful they all were lol

What are you saying, little man? That Chilly McFreeze wouldn't put asses in seats?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Vince is more carny than most carnies.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I feel comfortable describing his involvement in Owen Hart's death as murder.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

imagining a world where steve austin became a sub zero knock off and the dude who was glacier became the hottest wrestler of all time helping WCW to put WWF out of business

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Vince is more carny than most carnies.

Vince is the final form of carnies everywhere.

spaceblancmange posted:

imagining a world where steve austin became a sub zero knock off and the dude who was glacier became the hottest wrestler of all time helping WCW to put WWF out of business

Here are a few of the names that Steve Austin COULD have gotten:

Fang McFrost, Snowman, Otto von Ruthless, Mr. Freeze, Ice Dagger, Cruel Luke, Cool Cat, and Chilly McFreeze

Kind of want to see Steve Austin as Cool Cat now...

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
mick foley was almost mason the mutilator

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Bogus Adventure posted:

Fang McFrost, Snowman, Otto von Ruthless, Mr. Freeze, Ice Dagger, Cruel Luke, Cool Cat, and Chilly McFreeze

I started hearing this in my head like Joker listing off the villains’ names in Lego Batman and it made a LOT more sense.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

ZixTheYeti posted:

I started hearing this in my head like Joker listing off the villains’ names in Lego Batman and it made a LOT more sense.

I'm doing this now, but with Cesar Romero Joker voice

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
So maybe this isn't the right question or maybe it's more complicated but have WWE stars succeeded because of Vince or in spite of Vince? I know they go through a lot of different gimmicks before finding one that clicks but he seems super involved in the creation of those if I'm reading what y'all are saying correctly

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Did legal tell him they couldn't use Cruel Hand Luke?

Seth Pecksniff posted:

So maybe this isn't the right question or maybe it's more complicated but have WWE stars succeeded because of Vince or in spite of Vince? I know they go through a lot of different gimmicks before finding one that clicks but he seems super involved in the creation of those if I'm reading what y'all are saying correctly

Depends. Sometimes you have someone like Jake The Snake where the character is fully formed and Vince just needs a body (Jake has said he didn't want anything to do with the character, but Vince said he'd get a big push if he did it), but I think especially nowadays most people make their own character.

Either way, no idea is good enough to get over a terrible wrestler, and a good wrestler can get the crowd behind almost any terrible idea.

Or you could give the kayfabe answer where Vince and Hogan had a match at WrestleMania to determine who was responsible for Hulkamania.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Jake the Snake was called that at first because he was skinny. Then he developed the untrustworthy character who could strike at any time. Then Vince hired him and just wanted him to carry a live snake, which Jake was scared to do.

"Pal, I could hire anybody to carry a loving snake."

He was persuaded.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Bogus Adventure posted:

What about

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Shredder posted:

What about

That guy is the biggest babyface in the wrestling game

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Bogus Adventure posted:

Gonna pull out No Mercy and CAW Otto von Ruthless immediately. The gimmick is obviously big brawly man who sits on you whenever he wants (half crabs, camel clutch, all gonna be there), but can't decide if he's big and bald, or the one touch of the aristocratic "von" is to be perfectly coiffed hair?

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
was Chilly McFreeze supposed to be Irish as well? I never thought about it until now

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Where did the word kayfabe come from?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Mispronunciation of key fob

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nobody knows for sure. Wikipedia lists few theories

quote:

One theory suggests that it was derived from a word manipulation of the term "be fake" (à la pig latin and other argots), designed to conceal the true meaning.

Another theory claims that there actually was a wrestler called "Kay Fabian" who was mute. Neither claim has ever been substantiated.[2] Another theory suggests that the term derives from the expression "keep cavey", from the Latin verb caveo, which means "look out for"; this phrase was used throughout Britain and by Jews living in East London between World War I and World War II. According to that theory, many US promoters and wrestlers at that time were of Eastern European origin and many had heavy accents, leading to the term being transformed into "kayfabe".[2]

Kennel fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 1, 2023

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

Jake the Snake was called that at first because he was skinny. Then he developed the untrustworthy character who could strike at any time. Then Vince hired him and just wanted him to carry a live snake, which Jake was scared to do.

"Pal, I could hire anybody to carry a loving snake."

He was persuaded.

That reminds me: Jake once told a story of how, during his big run in the WWF, he was starting to work out and get in better shape. He said he was starting to see real gains in muscle and definition, when one day he got called into Vince's office. He said when he got in there, Vince went off on him, asking him what the hell he was doing. Vince then basically said that he already had a bunch of muscleheads, and that he wanted Jake to keep his original look and build because Vince thought it added to the sleazy, devious nature of his character.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Hirez posted:

was Chilly McFreeze supposed to be Irish as well? I never thought about it until now

The Cryonic Knacker

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Bogus Adventure posted:

Vince digging through Capcom's garbage and his eyes light up as a finds a list of rejected MegaMan X bosses.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Crowetron posted:

Vince digging through Capcom's garbage and his eyes light up as a finds a list of rejected MegaMan X bosses.

he's going to stumble on the name Duff McWhalen and do the vince face

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

"Frosty Snowflake" Steve Austin
"Brisk Hoar" Steve Austin
"Ice Cream Slamwich" Steve Austin
"Chilly Nipples" Steve Austin

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2wb9OGZZ1Y

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Kurt Angle is incredible. He was so great as a heel lampooning 1980s babyfaces, and the fact leaned wholeheartedly into the role is awesome.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Where did the word kayfabe come from?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Interesting

Wonder what this is about

https://twitter.com/HuffPost/status/1686759176335134721

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

does vince really seem like the kind of person who wouldnt be doing crimes like insider trading or racketeering

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's interesting because it was Linda who unsuccessfully ran for two different Senate seats in Connecticut and spent time as the head of the SBA in Trump's cabinet before resigning to take charge of one of his PACs.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

It's Triple H and Stephanie's revenge for muscling back into WWE book it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

can't wait to see one of vince's flunkies appear as merrick garland on raw and eat a stunner