Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

LionYeti posted:

Please tell me how, I am pretty decent with people and am currently making high figgies for a senior desktop tech but would love to have stupid amounts.

Take upper management types out for drinks, get them hosed up, learn their darkest secrets, blackmail them!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

i am a moron posted:

Take upper management types out for drinks, get them hosed up, learn their darkest secrets, blackmail them!!

Easier and less pricey is digging through their O365 accounts

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

LochNessMonster posted:

Easier and less pricey is digging through their O365 accounts

quick way to the unemployment line too

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

LionYeti posted:

Please tell me how, I am pretty decent with people and am currently making high figgies for a senior desktop tech but would love to have stupid amounts.

I took my years of MSSP experience and actually liking talking to people and turned it into figgies as a solution architect for a VAR.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

rafikki posted:

I took my years of MSSP experience and actually liking talking to people and turned it into figgies as a solution architect for a VAR.

basically this

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

tehinternet posted:

A real post or IT Service Tech Domination fantasy?

I wish but more details!

Employee is a friend of the CEO. By starting today they get insurance effective tomorrow (individual fully covered) and a pay check for the next 17 days. They cant do their work until the 17th because the position they are hired for doesn’t exist until then so they are “training”.

Also got a $5k signup bonus. This person has zero experience in this field and is the most entry position in the company.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

rafikki posted:

Ban this sick filth

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cyks posted:

I wish but more details!

Employee is a friend of the CEO. By starting today they get insurance effective tomorrow (individual fully covered) and a pay check for the next 17 days. They cant do their work until the 17th because the position they are hired for doesn’t exist until then so they are “training”.

Also got a $5k signup bonus. This person has zero experience in this field and is the most entry position in the company.

yeah I was gonna say neat way to get paid for two weeks to do nothing

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I worked in a place once where the postdoc with strange qualifications hired into the x-ray crystallography lab turned out to be the new CIO, hanging out and waiting for the old one to be fired

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Vulture Culture posted:

I worked in a place once where the postdoc with strange qualifications hired into the x-ray crystallography lab turned out to be the new CIO, hanging out and waiting for the old one to be fired

Yeah that was a great episode of NewsRadio. Hard to believe they just hit the ground running in the pilot like that

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Cyks posted:

I’m not doing this poo poo this morning.

User who is suppose to start on Aug 17th showed up without warning this morning and I’m being asked if they can get equipment.

Do I have spare equipment that I could put together in an emergency?Sure. But I’m not going to out of principle.

I hope this is real.

We had something like that a couple of weeks ago. Manager tried to be sneaky and move up a hire date that moved from Aug. 14th to this past monday, on a Friday evening after most of the staff had hosed off for the weekend. We typically don't prep accounts or equipment till the week beforehand for a few reasons, so I think he figured we'd just do everything Monday morning.

Anyways, my manager noticed the ticket Monday morning, and promptly told the hiring manager the new hire's new start was Tuesday. :lol:

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Handsome Ralph posted:

I hope this is real.

The only part that was somewhat not true was the “without warning” part which I learned later. The person’s regional director told them to show up for the reasons I’ve mentioned in another post. Both IT and HR were not made aware of the person starting early until our 10am Teams management meeting when the director introduced this person. The frustrating part is ~20 other people are also starting on the 17th, some who will be this person’s managers, but nobody else is being treated this way.

I held off a day without giving equipment but they’ll receive it today.

We also had an employee last month show up who never even signed their acceptance letter who they decided to let work as well to the surprise of IT and HR, so not sure why this is surprising to me.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 1, 2023

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Is there any reason you would need a gitlab runner in Azure to perform infrastructure build tasks as opposed to anywhere else? We operate in all 3 clouds but we have someone on a project who evangelizes an "Azure everything" attitude and he can't be trusted sometimes. Our gitlab is hosted in AWS and he's telling me we need another gitlab in a management vnet in Azure to talk to private RGs in the same subscription for infra/container build/code deploy functions. I told him we already do this from aws because the Azure API is publicly exposed but he kept arguing that these resource groups will be private and thus can only be accessible from the management vnet in the same subscription. Unfortunately my Azure foo is a little weak and my teams Azure expert is too new to challenge absurd claims. I'm gonna speak to them privately later and try to short the poo poo out but I wanted a goon take.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Sepist posted:

Is there any reason you would need a gitlab runner in Azure to perform infrastructure build tasks as opposed to anywhere else? We operate in all 3 clouds but we have someone on a project who evangelizes an "Azure everything" attitude and he can't be trusted sometimes. Our gitlab is hosted in AWS and he's telling me we need another gitlab in a management vnet in Azure to talk to private RGs in the same subscription for infra/container build/code deploy functions. I told him we already do this from aws because the Azure API is publicly exposed but he kept arguing that these resource groups will be private and thus can only be accessible from the management vnet in the same subscription. Unfortunately my Azure foo is a little weak and my teams Azure expert is too new to challenge absurd claims. I'm gonna speak to them privately later and try to short the poo poo out but I wanted a goon take.

well the APIs being public are meaningless if you need the pipeline to connect directly to something that is IaaS without a public IP (ie copy a zip file to a disk directly or something) or PaaS deployed with private networking. Can’t really answer this without a full accounting of the services you’re running, how things are deployed, and whether the public clouds are connected at a networking level somehow. Usually I see people putting a runner on prem then letting it connect to any cloud service over VPNs and express routes and direct connects and poo poo.

You definitely don’t have to have runners in Azure, but that doesn’t mean you don’t need runners in Azure. If that makes sense.

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 1, 2023

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

i am a moron posted:

well the APIs being public are meaningless if you need the pipeline to connect directly to something that is IaaS without a public IP (ie copy a zip file to a disk directly or something) or PaaS deployed with private networking. Can’t really answer this without a full accounting of the services you’re running, how things are deployed, and whether the public clouds are connected at a networking level somehow. Usually I see people putting a runner on prem then letting it connect to any cloud service over VPNs and express routes and direct connects and poo poo.

You definitely don’t have to have runners in Azure, but that doesn’t mean you don’t need runners in Azure. If that makes sense.

Yea we normally have all our cloud infra interconnected by VPN, so the runner location is irrelevant (although we do try to keep them in the cloud they build in), but this project is being built in isolation due to being a marketplace PaaS which introduces complexities. I think the word API is confusing people, as I am talking about the APIs azure uses to invoke build/deploy and they're talking about the platform APIs. I guess I'll just have to keep asking questions.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

If you take a web app service for instance, you can always connect to what I would consider the platform APIs and perform certain functions (like creating a web app/deleting it/changing network ACLs) but if you have the networking private you may need direct LOS to the private endpoint to, say, push the actual code. I don’t remember if that’s actually true for web apps though, most things are consistent about what API actions are exposed broadly to something that’s just using a service principal and isn’t directly connected networking wise but it’s not always true because lol Azure

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 1, 2023

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

A new Executive Director started today and nobody thought about ordering his equipment until last Friday. The only way I found out about this was an offhanded comment by a staff member at another site.

However, this is just par for the course with how we work, so it's no big deal. I just wish the hiring committee would give me a week or two of notice before people start. I doubt the guy even has furniture in his office yet.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Yeah that was a great episode of NewsRadio. Hard to believe they just hit the ground running in the pilot like that
He did not personally do the firing, and tried everything in his power to keep his head down and not be noticed. Supremely awkward situation for everyone involved, especially after the reveal

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Vargatron posted:

A new Executive Director started today and nobody thought about ordering his equipment until last Friday. The only way I found out about this was an offhanded comment by a staff member at another site.

However, this is just par for the course with how we work, so it's no big deal. I just wish the hiring committee would give me a week or two of notice before people start. I doubt the guy even has furniture in his office yet.

Wouldn't matter if they did, they would order $10,000 of new furniture anyway

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sepist posted:

these resource groups will be private and thus can only be accessible from the management vnet in the same subscription.

the moron already touched on most of it but I really wanted to call this out as just being straight up false

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

C-levels can order as much furniture and monitor arms and chairs as they want, as long as the old stuff would look alright in my house

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

guppy posted:

Wouldn't matter if they did, they would order $10,000 of new furniture anyway

Yeah, that's basically what is gonna happen. I guess for now they will work on a couple of milk crates or just work from home.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
why the gently caress can't you set parameters separately when creating a script in intune???

Bah, I guess I have to use *spits* hard coding

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

When did Glassdoor try and become LinkedIn? I only used it to see who was saying bitchy things about their job and now it wants me to sign up and post things for discussion or whatever. Did venture capital get involved?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

When did Glassdoor try and become LinkedIn? I only used it to see who was saying bitchy things about their job and now it wants me to sign up and post things for discussion or whatever. Did venture capital get involved?

Venture capital was what was funding the "say bitchy things about your job" side of the business. They were acquired by a public company about 5 years ago and are now required to actually make money somehow.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Well I can't see that ever happening, :rip: I guess

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

If you’re a project manager, punch yourself in the loving face. How is this an actual role people get paid for in this loving industry

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

i am a moron posted:

If you’re a project manager, punch yourself in the loving face. How is this an actual role people get paid for in this loving industry

Good project managers are worth their weight in gold what the hell are you talking about

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

KillHour posted:

Good project managers are worth their weight in gold what the hell are you talking about

Problem is the ratio to good to terrible is pretty slim.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

KillHour posted:

No they aren’t name one

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

i am a moron posted:

No, let an intern hit you in the face.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Probably has something to do with them being the first people to be cut when budgets get tight. Then their duties get taken over by the executive sponsor and every shiny thing suddenly goes in scope for "MVP" and acceptance criteria becomes whatever they can imagine plus a free pony.

i am a moron posted:

No they aren’t name one

Mine was amazing and then she left and I miss her so drat much but since you're going to call foul on that, I'm going to say the one time I worked with Hoverstate, their PMs were ruthlessly effective to the point where everyone hated their guts but sometimes that's what you need.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 1, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GreenNight posted:

Also true for every job

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

KillHour posted:

This is true.

Conversely, bad project managers aren't worth their weight in poo poo, because at least poo poo can fertilize a field.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

KillHour posted:

Probably has something to do with them being the first people to be cut when budgets get tight. Then their duties get taken over by the executive sponsor and every shiny thing suddenly goes in scope for "MVP" and acceptance criteria becomes whatever they can imagine plus a free pony.

My experience is that the recruiters are the first to go. Don't need em if you're laying people off. But yeah.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Also true for every job

Don't dox me.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

KillHour posted:

They get cut first because being an annoying busy body checking off admin task lists is useless as gently caress and it’s what 99% of them want to do. Having them involved in any part of consulting sales is the ninth level of hell

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

GreenNight posted:

My experience is that the recruiters are the first to go. Don't need em if you're laying people off. But yeah.

Once the recruiters get fired update the resume

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

i am a moron posted:

They get cut first because being an annoying busy body checking off admin task lists is useless as gently caress and it’s what 99% of them want to do. Having them involved in any part of consulting sales is the ninth level of hell

Your problem is not having them on your side of the fence. If they work for your customer, their job is to make it as hard as possible for you to get paid. If they work for you, their job is to cover your rear end and stop the customer from getting away with moving goalposts and dragging projects on forever.

GreenNight posted:

I'm talking about from a project, not from a company. We (i am a moron and me) are both consultants so customer finances only matter if they affect our projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

the ones I’m bitching about ALL work at the same company as me. I have an easier time with other companys PMs because their opinion and dumbass processes are meaningless to me