Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

I always felt like this guy was an obnoxious jerk who happened to agree with me. Assuming this is real I feel validated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think making americans angry that they can't have cities that don't suck is actually probably the best strategy so even if he's trying to be sincere and not trolling I feel like he's probably having the effect of hopefully making people want to try to make improvements where they live anywhere

he's right though in that in the us you could probably spend 20 years trying to get one bike lane created and in less carbrained place that amount of effort could presumably get a lot more done, and if, like him, you want your kids to grow up in a place that isn't car-centric, where they can ride bikes around while they're still young, there's literally no way you are going to get that done in the us in time

mystes has issued a correction as of 03:30 on Aug 1, 2023

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Climate change has definitely shown that doomerism is a viable strat for pissing people off into taking real meaningful action on an issue.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Climate change has definitely shown that doomerism is a viable strat for pissing people off into taking real meaningful action on an issue.
If getting bike infrastructure built in the US is as hopeless as solving climate change then I certainly wouldn't blame someone for just moving to another country

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

There are certainly a lot of parallels, except that moving somewhere else can actually fix your bike infrastructure woes in the long term.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

mystes posted:

If getting bike infrastructure built in the US is as hopeless as solving climate change then I certainly wouldn't blame someone for just moving to another country

People who need bike infrastructure the most can't afford to move, myself included.

I desperately yearn for a real history of how change was made in cities that became less car brained - what were the tactics employed, and how, to make communities less miserable? Where's the leverage? What is to be done, if you will?

I don't know what to do, but I feel like I could do something. Improving public infrastructure is not as impossible as building a better end of the world

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Man there is a lot going on here between the police apparently linening armed dude blocking bus and bike lanes to Black Lives Matter protests and the angry market owner lady demanding that bikes go on the sidewalk (where does she think a widened sidewalk would go exactly?).

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

consigning the hundreds of millions of people who dont have the money or EU-approved skillset to legally emigrate to the netherlands to ahve to suffer in lovely car-centric cities, too bad, is probably not a good path forward. just my opinion however. giong to ride my bike tomorrow and think about it.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

raggedphoto posted:

This thread rules and I had no idea it existed until it was linked in the bike commuting thread. I use to love cars but the more I learn about car culture, infrastructure and law the more I can't stand them, the added street racing, street takeovers and straight piped cars I am starting to hate them. "The War on Cars" podcast has been helpful to understand how we ended up with a car centric society that values drivers/cars over literal human life in a studied and cohesive way. I bike to work everyday and mostly find it pleasant, I am lucky that my 14 mile commute is mostly protected from traffic but still have run ins now and then with rear end in a top hat drivers. It's maddening how uncaring drivers are that they could end life with the jerk of a wheel or by checking their instagram while driving.

This may have been posted already but look at this poo poo stain of a person:

https://bikeportland.org/2023/07/03/protestor-blocks-bus-and-bike-lanes-on-division-with-his-car-376795

More bollards.
That guy was wearing a kilt.

BEEEEEERRR I saw car fli BEeeeerrrrrrr
Like the hosed up car people were making arguments against cars.

Not a single person talked about seeing a cyclist crashing. Cars were flipping, Trucks are jumping the medium. Forced to take U turns. Just constant noise.

There should be commentary version of the video pointing out all the issues, and laughing.

Quickest protest. Just yell out "Ban Cars." Piss em off. "Ban Cars"
Screw the conversation, just keep saying "Ban Cars" till they snap.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 04:06 on Aug 1, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Samuel Glompers posted:

People who need bike infrastructure the most can't afford to move, myself included.

I desperately yearn for a real history of how change was made in cities that became less car brained - what were the tactics employed, and how, to make communities less miserable? Where's the leverage? What is to be done, if you will?

I don't know what to do, but I feel like I could do something. Improving public infrastructure is not as impossible as building a better end of the world
In Amsterdam it was the result of a massive campaign to stop kids from being killed by cars but in the US we've decided to solve that problem by never letting kids outside

other places like paris have also made great strides but that requires a consensus that cars shouldn't have priority in cities

In the us almost everyone just takes it for granted that biking is too dangerous and everyone should drive all the time, so the most you can expect is a few bike gutters here and there as a treat

mystes has issued a correction as of 04:05 on Aug 1, 2023

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
The older a person gets, the harder it is to fight for anything, and people just want a release.

And really, people just want to be around friends. So just telling people you like "quit fighting and come over here to party because life is short" is an effective way to maximize your enjoyment too.

Leave the assholes to be assholes to each other.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 04:17 on Aug 1, 2023

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
It honestly didn’t make a massive difference to drivers when they put the bike/bus lane in and the bus offers a critical service line to neighborhoods outside Portland proper. They are the same people who complain about bikes on the road and in the same breath complain about too much traffic, it’s just pointless noise. The city makes some poor decisions about infrastructure but at least they are doing something. My bike commute is great because of greenways and blocking cars from using neighborhoods as thruways, without that infrastructure and protection from traffic I don’t know if I’d be biking to work these days.

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

he tripled down on it.

sure, run away from your problems. its not like the us spews enough greenhouse gases on its own to gently caress over the planet and threaten places sensitive to climate change like the netherlands...

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

peepeepants posted:

he tripled down on it.

sure, run away from your problems. its not like the us spews enough greenhouse gases on its own to gently caress over the planet and threaten places sensitive to climate change like the netherlands...
I mean, is he wrong?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Blackhawk posted:

Was looking at the 'Biking' infrastructure overlay on google maps today and I was struck by how insanely wrong it is. There are a ton of roads labelled as having dedicated lanes of off-road cycleways that just don't, there are also a ton of walking paths which are absolutely not ridable marked as cycling trails. It pisses me off because it makes the map almost entirely useless for planning rides around cycling infrastructure, and it gives people the impression that what's out there is a lot more comprehensive and usable than what actually exists. I would consider trying to complain to somebody about it but I know nobody, least of all google, gives any kind of gently caress about it.

There are a bunch of places in Toronto that are legally considered bike routes. For many of them, the only difference between them and a regular road is that every so often there's a sign that says "bike route so-and-so".

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
NJB is right. I mean we literally just no longer give a gently caress that kids get shot in the head at school, we dont care that they're murdered by cars in the street. We will never manage to do what any other country did to fix the car problem.

Like the 1% of people who give a poo poo about fixing things? its just not enough.

Just like in the climate thread, its not doomerism to just accept that - we wont fix climate change. We wont fix the car problem in the US. Not as the US stands right now anyway.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
That scene in the fifth element where bruce willis just keeps saying we're not gonna make it but then we dont figure out the dumbass puzzle

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mystes posted:

In Amsterdam it was the result of a massive campaign to stop kids from being killed by cars but in the US we've decided to solve that problem by never letting kids outside

other places like paris have also made great strides but that requires a consensus that cars shouldn't have priority in cities

In the us almost everyone just takes it for granted that biking is too dangerous and everyone should drive all the time, so the most you can expect is a few bike gutters here and there as a treat

also quite a lot of people hate cyclists with a burning passion and are cool with mass death. the cultural obsession with :911:FREEDOM to be a stupid rear end in a top hat doesn't help either

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

*/me shouts "Problems exist, don't forget to like, share, and subscribe. Patreon details are in the description."

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
yeah “freedom to be an rear end in a top hat” sums up the US pretty well. I’d move my family out of this poo poo hole if I could given how things have rotted at a quicker rate since Trump. doesn’t seem to be any turning back when every single thing is a culture war.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Build a city where cars are banned from the beginning

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
this past weekend montréal opened their new automated elevated metro service with free admission, saturday was so busy they had to turn people away midway through the day, but i was able to ride it on sunday. it was a great atmosphere, lots of curious and giddy people onboard the trains. honestly it felt great to see so many people come out and want to take a look at this massive transit infrastructure that only got announced like, seven years ago, and still has twenty or so stations yet to come. i enjoyed how they gave everyone a little passport, you could get a stamp of each station you visited on the inauguration day, with many more pages available for the stations coming in future years

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

There are a bunch of places in Toronto that are legally considered bike routes. For many of them, the only difference between them and a regular road is that every so often there's a sign that says "bike route so-and-so".

My favorite gently caress You from the board of supes:

Before:

After:

:dumbbravo:

Skinnymansbeerbelly has issued a correction as of 13:16 on Aug 1, 2023

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
not just bikes would be singing a different tune if he were a yank without the resources to immigrate which is exactly why those posts sound like the bullshit they are. Won't be giving up, go gently caress yourself, thanks for nothing

edit: tbf, sitting around discussing what the perfect infrastructure would look like is a waste of time when you are facing political obstacles not design issues... which imo says more about how irrelevant your program is than whether or not an entire nation should just lay die and die beneath the tire

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Wolfy posted:

I mean, is he wrong?

no not really

you might be able to start to fix the town you live in, which is what strong towns is focused on which is why he says "go listen to them"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i wonder if you started with equally sized advocacy groups of americans, one dedicated to building a bike network in an american town and one dedicated to making immigration from the us to holland frictionless with nothing more than a plane ticket required, who would achieve victory first.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

I don't think marking streets without special bike infrastructure is inherently problematic if the municipality works out routes through low traffic streets that are legitimately already good for biking and marks them purely for wayfinding purposes, however obviously the cases where roads are getting marked as bike routes aren't actually remotely safe for biking 99.9% of the time in North America

If you could magically wave your magic wand and connect all the stupid culs-de-sac in us suburbs so that they could only be traversed by pedestrains and bikes, some of them would actually be better bikes routes than most roads with bike gutters

mystes has issued a correction as of 14:29 on Aug 1, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Real hurthling! posted:

i wonder if you started with equally sized advocacy groups of americans, one dedicated to building a bike network in an american town and one dedicated to making immigration from the us to holland frictionless with nothing more than a plane ticket required, who would achieve victory first.

probably the former considering that dutch and eu elected officials are not even theoretically beholden to the wishes and desires of americans, who do not live or vote in the netherlands or other eu countries. not that american institutions are in practice all that democratically accountable either lol. but, on the other hand, local activists have managed to push and prod my city to build a bunch of protected bike lanes and separate bike trails so it's not like there's nothing that could ever be accomplished locally. it's just very difficult.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

not just bikes would be singing a different tune if he were a yank without the resources to immigrate which is exactly why those posts sound like the bullshit they are. Won't be giving up, go gently caress yourself, thanks for nothing

edit: tbf, sitting around discussing what the perfect infrastructure would look like is a waste of time when you are facing political obstacles not design issues... which imo says more about how irrelevant your program is than whether or not an entire nation should just lay die and die beneath the tire

It's not his job to make content that caters to us, he directed folks to people who do make content focused on that but he doesn't owe us making that content or espousing that viewpoint and from his position can't do much good were he to so why bother with that Sisyphean task?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

probably the former considering that dutch and eu elected officials are not even theoretically beholden to the wishes and desires of americans, who do not live or vote in the netherlands or other eu countries. not that american institutions are in practice all that democratically accountable either lol. but, on the other hand, local activists have managed to push and prod my city to build a bunch of protected bike lanes and separate bike trails so it's not like there's nothing that could ever be accomplished locally. it's just very difficult.

what if terrorism was on the table?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mfw trukk

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the 4 lane road adjacent to my neighborhood just got changed from 2 car lanes each direction to 1 car and 1 bike lane plus a center turn lane. pretty good upgrade

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Real hurthling! posted:

what if terrorism was on the table?

the utility or advisability of violent direct action to achieve political goals is probably a topic best explored not in cspam

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Grassy Knowles posted:

It's not his job to make content that caters to us, he directed folks to people who do make content focused on that but he doesn't owe us making that content or espousing that viewpoint and from his position can't do much good were he to so why bother with that Sisyphean task?

lmao he said "give up on north america" so gently caress off

Apr 7, 2003

real work truck

pretend work trukk

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lots* of city councils that want to try and dig out of the mess of the last seven decades. Even if they can get the support to start trying there's a decent chance the landlord infested provincial goverments will just grant themselves the power to override any municipal law though. Is it as hopeless as the six figgie white immigrant in gentrified Amsterdam makes it out? Probably not, but it's not going to be easy. Hell most cities can barely support the transit systems they currently have let alone expanding them. But it's cool, the provinces and federal government are still spending tens of billions on highways and SFH developer contracts, growth ftw motherfuckers

*probably an overstatement lol, but some are trying anyway

lobster shirt posted:

the utility or advisability of violent direct action to achieve political goals is probably a topic best explored not in cspam

Could be funny though

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Blackhawk posted:

Was looking at the 'Biking' infrastructure overlay on google maps today and I was struck by how insanely wrong it is. There are a ton of roads labelled as having dedicated lanes of off-road cycleways that just don't, there are also a ton of walking paths which are absolutely not ridable marked as cycling trails. It pisses me off because it makes the map almost entirely useless for planning rides around cycling infrastructure, and it gives people the impression that what's out there is a lot more comprehensive and usable than what actually exists. I would consider trying to complain to somebody about it but I know nobody, least of all google, gives any kind of gently caress about it.

There nobody at google you can ask to fix it, nor is there anyone responsible for updating it. We built a whole Class IV all the way across town with fresh pavement years ago, and it still sends people the long way down the shoulder of Broken Glass Piss Bottle Truck Route. Cool!

raggedphoto posted:

They are the same people who complain about bikes on the road and in the same breath complain about too much traffic, it’s just pointless noise. The city makes some poor decisions about infrastructure but at least they are doing something.

community engagement is worse than worthless

sidewalks, trails, bikeways, and mass transit should be subject to the same level of public engagement as the interstate highway system was (and still is): zero.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

lol what? what meaningful action has been done on climate change anywhere outside of china (which didn't require doomerism)

Apr 7, 2003

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

lol what? what meaningful action has been done on climate change anywhere outside of china (which didn't require doomerism)

People threw away their already-built, older cars and purchased newly-manufactured Teslas that are full of petroleum products, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

I had NPR for god-knows-what reason on a while back and they had a bit about a symphony that 'evokes the sounds of climate change.' They interviewed a shitlib who said that he was so moved by the symphony that he immediately went and bought a Tesla. I've been thinking about that a lot.