Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
tsundere doctor octopus

:allears:

also, lmao at surprise vulture girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

GateOfD posted:

Not an isekai I think, but liked the other Realist one where he just wants to sell his kingdom, but keeps making it so that his nation keeps getting stronger instead of to the point he can just surrender and give it away

genius prince has a lot of fun parts but there’s fit and finish issues. the plots are good when they make sense but about half of them rely on some pivotal aspect just conveniently working out. there’s an inherent tension in these sorts of strategy level stories in that you want to believe that like kingdom level investments over time are doing something so you can take the wider considerations of the protagonists seriously, but also it’s a light novel and you are going to draw the main girl in a state of partial undress in the illustrations because personal level wish fulfillment is important to have too apparently. anyway as the story goes on he travels further abroad and so the schemes become increasingly more of diplomatic-espionage type intrigue that i find a bit boring, except for some bits where they lead someone else’s armies. but they should circle back around. it’s a circular continent after all

the other light novels i like in this sort of fantasy young military officer subcategory is the sword princess altina series, which may or may not ever resume. there’s very little magic (technically none but i’m choosing to interpret the superhuman abilities of various characters as magic rather than another thing) and it’s i guess supposed to be like early 18th century france or something; the schemes get contrived and contingent but they are of a strictly combat operations centered nature and that’s fun

the other series that comes to mind is alderamin, which has magic. it also raises another category of distinction within this genre: the protagonist fucks; the protagonist of genius prince knows about loving but is not directly interested; the male protagonist of altina fears intimacy and kinda women in general

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Chapter 5 of RTA Sousha wa Game Sekai kara Kaerarenai

Is this the first UTF / ShiftJIS conversion gag in a manga

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This series continues to justify its own existence. Never have I considered the financial ramifications of item duplication glitches.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Brought To You By posted:

This series continues to justify its own existence. Never have I considered the financial ramifications of item duplication glitches.

You probably should have since they have wiped out multiple MMO economies in real life.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Clarste posted:

You probably should have since they have wiped out multiple MMO economies in real life.

I've seen the steps Sega has taken to keep PSO2 and New Genesis from capsizing and all I can say is that the fight against all those people and bots is not the life I would choose.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

sinky posted:

Chapter 5 of RTA Sousha wa Game Sekai kara Kaerarenai

Is this the first UTF / ShiftJIS conversion gag in a manga

No, Medaka Box had a character powered by bad translations, who could in theory shrug off every attack by chain-parsing it into garbage characters. Unfortunately for them, the Language Arts only really work on people who are willing to put up with your bullshit.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

this allusion meant posted:

the other series that comes to mind is alderamin, which has magic. it also raises another category of distinction within this genre: the protagonist fucks; the protagonist of genius prince knows about loving but is not directly interested; the male protagonist of altina fears intimacy and kinda women in general
I hadn't heard about alderamin before and I like it so far. The novels never got officially picked up and there's only 32 translated manga chapters the last of which came out in 2018 which is too bad.

On the plus side the artist for the manga is same as reincarnated as a slime.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new chapter of I Used High-Level Medicine to Counter Magic

YAKUZA DRAGONS! YAKUZA DRAGONS!!!!!

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Guyver posted:

I hadn't heard about alderamin before and I like it so far. The novels never got officially picked up and there's only 32 translated manga chapters the last of which came out in 2018 which is too bad.

There's only 32 manga chapters period. It got an anime adaption a few years ago that ends at the same place.

the LN has a complete fan tl.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I've never read a LN fan translation before but I guess that's an option.

I stopped paying attention to manga/anime from like 2015 till around 2020 so there is a bunch of stuff out there I have no idea about.

Edit: oh the anime was madhouse. Neat.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 23, 2023

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Man Rudy just stop trying to have sex with people and blow poo poo up instead. Anyone know if the time skip is coming up soon?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Glazius posted:

No, Medaka Box had a character powered by bad translations, who could in theory shrug off every attack by chain-parsing it into garbage characters. Unfortunately for them, the Language Arts only really work on people who are willing to put up with your bullshit.

it is not. It is a very specific corruption that the artist specifically did to demonstrate a common error

I used Google lens to translate the twitter message but realized Google Lens is also showing the weird characters

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new red ranger isekai

lmao

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I appreciate that she isn't even trying to contain her lust for Red anymore. As for this chapter. Still hoping that Rosie gets a GARO style upgrade, but I think the kids in this chapter just need to see a giant robot fight. They don't understand the appeal of a Super Sentai Hero.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah they do. it's the butts!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh gently caress. isekai uncle has been mortally wounded in the only way it was possible to harm him.
good chapter tho. hurry up, elf. at this point he's clearly never going to realize if he didn't in this chapter. :allears:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
A kind individual is doing a re-translation of Onee sama and the Giant using the japanese raws of the volume releases. Thus clarifying things compared to the JPN -> Chinese -> EN translation we've had in the past. Goonsquad's TL does convey the general meaning of what has been going on, but it's nice to have a more complete picture of what is being said. Hopefully we can get an official TL down the line.

I'd done a re-read of the entire series just because it is short enough as it is and I noted that The eclipse that happens was in fact a natural event both the Wendigo and Elis knew about prior.

What Junko sees is largely just good timing and it is unclear how much of the giant eye and huge shadow that Junko sees is just her interpreting Hinako's bloodlust, and how much is real. The story still supports that Hinako has a unique function by rejecting any 'Cheat' abilities, but the extent of such is still unknown.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Fellis posted:

Is It Odd That I Became an Adventurer Even If I Graduated From the Witchcraft Institute?

https://mangadex.org/title/a220cb1c...craft-institute

This comic just got an incredible chapter to end the current arc. Huge developments and plenty of the three girls in the party making smug faces and reacting to the MC being dense about his relationship

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Isekai Samurai has a new chapter and as someone who follows Jujutsu Kaisen, the newest character is 100% up my alley

Lawyer powers in manga make for interesting abilities and I can't wait to see how such an ability interacts with someone not from this world. It's cool to see another lawyer that summons a familiar that helps him mete out justice with a giant gavel.

The retranslations for the giantess isekai has also been steamrolling through the series and it's much appreciated to understand things better. The typesetting is also very well done.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
started reading "Lets Buy The Land and Cultivate"
a similar quiet life farming isekai to the anime a season ago. Similar farming cheats, and demi-human wives.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GateOfD posted:

started reading "Lets Buy The Land and Cultivate"
a similar quiet life farming isekai to the anime a season ago. Similar farming cheats, and demi-human wives.

Its pretty good. love how he just basically befriends all the most powerful "bad guys" in the world and everyone is just hanging out.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
It's definitely more like the Farming Life in Another World anime than the Farmin Life in another World novel. The anime cleaned up a lot of things.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My favorite thing is the horrible necromancer is just a doting old grandpa and the country-devastator dragon is an obnoxious brat who is easily bribed with food

It's barely ever dealing with any conflict and is mostly just hanging out, I like it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

My favorite thing is the horrible necromancer is just a doting old grandpa and the country-devastator dragon is an obnoxious brat who is easily bribed with food

It's barely ever dealing with any conflict and is mostly just hanging out, I like it.

And basically anyone who does show up with ill intent meets the Undead King or the Dragon and panics. Also him being nice to the Orcs results in them becoming intelligent and beating the poo poo out of anything that dares come near his domain.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

Most threats fizzle out when you can easily summon the most powerful beings on heaven and earth on a whim.

Though there is one foe the Saint can’t defeat: the feedback loop where feeding all his people requires more labor which requires more food which requires more labor…

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
The mermaid reminds me of Muromi-san

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Updates just keep pouring on as the two brand new chapters of Giant and Onee-sama pack a lot of things into the story.
So it appears that this story essentially takes place in otherworld Australia which is a first for me. (explains why things are so big and deadly over there)
The name James Cook, a ship called Endeavor, and the country being Dasmania are all based on the real world events that led to British colonization of Australia. How they got here is one thing, but I'd be interested if all the current otherworlders aren't being funneled through this space ship to gain their powers before being randomly warped back out of the ship to a place on the continent. There's also the member from Elis's clan associated up with this organization. Omega is a hell of a name but maybe she's Elis' twin or biological sister given both have pale skin and wear the same hair style. She does actually appear in the flashbacks to chapter 3 flashbacks and seems to be taller than Elis so maybe she didn't inherit the magical potential of a giant god which is why she wears something similar to the ancient weapon the church goon in the same chapter was also wearing. Elis also has the same clothing in the present as Omega in the past when previously she wore much simpler garments before meeting Hinako.

As for the new chapter. Junko is overloaded and overpowered but still gets dunked on by Elis every loop. Just reinforces what the church guy said about them not having the means to defeat a giant god at this time. On top of that Hinako has killed herself at least once in a previous loop and doesn't even flinch while her body is filled with shrapnel in the current loop including her loving EYEBALL! Carla has to be some bigshot in the demon camp because not only does she have knowledge about how to counter these cheat powers; she has to means to understand, reveal, and handle them all at the same time. I think the fairy trick is clever and it is one of a few reasons why Junko is so desperate in this situation because she's not able to groundhog day loop herself into the optimal outcome after at least 3 loops.

And those last pages. gently caress's sake there will be a reckoning for letting any harm come to Hinako. Junko is well and truly hosed now.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Let's Buy the Land and Cultivate It in a Different World
the demon lord and his general getting married was pretty neat. love how everyone is just chill.

other than the humans. always making trouble. surprised that a bunch of the random champions seem to have died offscreen, if the mini-chapter about the one girl with the slayer skill is true.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GateOfD posted:

Let's Buy the Land and Cultivate It in a Different World
the demon lord and his general getting married was pretty neat. love how everyone is just chill.

other than the humans. always making trouble. surprised that a bunch of the random champions seem to have died offscreen, if the mini-chapter about the one girl with the slayer skill is true.

Futurama: Turns out the real monster is man.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

GateOfD posted:

The mermaid reminds me of Muromi-san

And yes, Mermaid Waifu Isekai is indeed very good and chill.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Updates just keep pouring on as the two brand new chapters of Giant and Onee-sama pack a lot of things into the story.
So it appears that this story essentially takes place in otherworld Australia which is a first for me. (explains why things are so big and deadly over there)
The name James Cook, a ship called Endeavor, and the country being Dasmania are all based on the real world events that led to British colonization of Australia. How they got here is one thing, but I'd be interested if all the current otherworlders aren't being funneled through this space ship to gain their powers before being randomly warped back out of the ship to a place on the continent. There's also the member from Elis's clan associated up with this organization. Omega is a hell of a name but maybe she's Elis' twin or biological sister given both have pale skin and wear the same hair style. She does actually appear in the flashbacks to chapter 3 flashbacks and seems to be taller than Elis so maybe she didn't inherit the magical potential of a giant god which is why she wears something similar to the ancient weapon the church goon in the same chapter was also wearing. Elis also has the same clothing in the present as Omega in the past when previously she wore much simpler garments before meeting Hinako.

As for the new chapter. Junko is overloaded and overpowered but still gets dunked on by Elis every loop. Just reinforces what the church guy said about them not having the means to defeat a giant god at this time. On top of that Hinako has killed herself at least once in a previous loop and doesn't even flinch while her body is filled with shrapnel in the current loop including her loving EYEBALL! Carla has to be some bigshot in the demon camp because not only does she have knowledge about how to counter these cheat powers; she has to means to understand, reveal, and handle them all at the same time. I think the fairy trick is clever and it is one of a few reasons why Junko is so desperate in this situation because she's not able to groundhog day loop herself into the optimal outcome after at least 3 loops.

And those last pages. gently caress's sake there will be a reckoning for letting any harm come to Hinako. Junko is well and truly hosed now.

Scope creep: the isekai

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Eminence In Shadow has updated. Kagenou Claire's right hand throbs with power once again.

Also, Shadow Garden has returned from the alternate dimension with integrated circuits. The tech tree is crying.

Also also, another of the original Shadow Garden, Zeta the catgirl spy, has stepped on screen, and promptly dropped a fresh kill directly on something Cid considered important.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Scope creep: the isekai

The author put it best in the Volume 1 Extras:

Their editor must hate this.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Glazius posted:

The Eminence In Shadow has updated. Kagenou Claire's right hand throbs with power once again.
I'm still waiting for its burning grip to tell her to defeat someone.

quote:

Also, Shadow Garden has returned from the alternate dimension with integrated circuits. The tech tree is crying.

Just imagine an army of stealthy and powerful ladies, all filming their chuuni boss. The world is not ready

Swilo posted:

Their editor must hate this.

If it means that by the end of this series We can have two giants fighting on top of a ship like this is Metal Gear Solid 2, I hope the editor will feel it was worth it like I would.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
and one more giant and onee-sama
with this its caught up to the current release.
rip job squad. im sure you would have done cool things given the chance.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

If it means that by the end of this series We can have two giants fighting on top of a ship like this is Metal Gear Solid 2, I hope the editor will feel it was worth it like I would.

Giants in giant, magical totally-not-Zentradi robots.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

Taking down Junko because she's kept herself from feeling pain for 2 years is a great takedown by Hinako, kiss included for extra :boom:. I can't even feel bad for the Church goons, we were told in the extra chapter they couldn't do anything so dying to cross-fire is incredibly appropriate. It's hilarious how confident they felt about this whole thing.

The big bomb this chapter is that Junko apparently did manage to "kill" Elis in one loop but Elis herself is another biological weapon much like Wendy. And one so powerful either Junko either killed herself to run away or died despite having her AT field cheat power. I wonder if all giants are artificial constructs or maybe Elis was brought to the Gorm clan by Omega and kept there until she was pushed off that cliff and presumed dead.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Giants in giant, magical totally-not-Zentradi robots.
All I know about Macross is guitars and lots of missiles.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
So I'm on the part of Giant Sister where they're in the capital.
How the gently caress do they keep reaching new lows for the humans of that world? The save point! The hand made accessories! Their whole country is theocratic trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

It's nothing that I really think about with magic spells but it is neat to read something taking the physical tolls that magic has on people into account too rather than treating it like an RPG and being hit with enough fireballs will just deplete your heathbar/maybe burn you/knock you out or how Avatar the Last Airbender treats those attacks.