Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Zwabu posted:

What are the best or most iconic jump scares?

Jaws - Ben Gardener’s boat

Exorcist III - You Know The One

What else you got?

It's been long enough: The projector scene in IT: Chapter 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

god, It: Chapter 2 was so bad that it kind of made me forget that It: Chapter 1 was really solid. that scene is great.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

WeaponX posted:

Cool, I did not. But if the idea is make sure we are inviting to newcomers, making it so you can’t re-watch a Halloween favorite for the thread because you have watched it in last two decades seems a tadddd restrictive.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a dick. I was going with the general idea of "watched before you were an actual adult" like a Formative Years category or something instead of making it an arbitrary cut-off.

One challenge that's already been suggested that I think might be good is Rewatch a movie that scared you as a kid that you haven't seen in a long time(the longer the better) OR if you didn't watch horror movies as a kid then rewatch one of the movies that first got you into the horror genre

So that would be one particular challenge, not a general rule.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

God yes. I saw this in theaters a few times just to hear the yells. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahdfyH0TiRg

Really great crowd flick.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

god, It: Chapter 2 was so bad that it kind of made me forget that It: Chapter 1 was really solid. that scene is great.

The gulf between the two is so huge is hilarious, I've gone back since thinking maybe it was just surprise that Chapter One was decent that I rated it so highly but no, it really is absurd how bad Chapter Two is. One thing I am 100% certain of, though, is that Chapter One has tons of sequences shot for 3D and this would have been perfect in that format.

Crescent Wrench posted:

I watched Unfriended last night and it was a blast to watch, just total schlock, not to mention a fun time capsule into the internet of a decade ago. Is the "Dark Web" sequel any good?

It kicks rear end.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

One challenge that's already been suggested that I think might be good is Rewatch a movie that scared you as a kid that you haven't seen in a long time(the longer the better) OR if you didn't watch horror movies as a kid then rewatch one of the movies that first got you into the horror genre

So that would be one particular challenge, not a general rule.

gently caress now I really have to watch Ernest Scared Stupid.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm still convinced there's room to just reedit the It movies into one really great adaption of the book. I'm not gonna do it but like when Muschietti gets done killing his career making nerd films that can't satisfy anyone GdT should help him fix that or something.

Although I guess that too would be making a film for nerds who can't be satisfied. So I guess he's just trapped in a curse now.

WeaponX posted:

gently caress now I really have to watch Ernest Scared Stupid.

Ernest Scared Stupid or Fuzzbucket, for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO4henUfChg

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

STAC Goat posted:

I'm still convinced there's room to just reedit the It movies into one really great adaption of the book. I'm not gonna do it but like when Muschietti gets done killing his career making nerd films that can't satisfy anyone GdT should help him fix that or something.

Someone did this, actually, I don't remember if it was book order exactly but such a cut does exist.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I only want the studio made cut bc Andy said there was scenes that haven’t been available anywhere and I’d like to see them

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm sure there's fan edits out there but (a) a lot of fancuts are just not very good and (b) i'm sure there's unused material that could bridge a lot of gaps.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Crescent Wrench posted:

Basebf, I understand the desire to allow more rewatches without making the rules overly complex. I think this has been mentioned in some form, but maybe it's just as simple as saying "you get X number of rewatches you can apply towards challenges." That way people can revisit old favorites but still have fun with the categories, and can get a freebie on a challenge where they've seen most of the good ones.

This seems like the easiest solution, and the one I'd be most in favour of, since it means less moving parts to keep track of.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Although I guess that too would be making a film for nerds who can't be satisfied. So I guess he's just trapped in a curse now.

I think in this case it's not as much a situation where there's a hardcore fandom that will always nitpick and never be fully satisfied, it's more just an inherent problem with the source material. The book dovetails the climax of both time periods and it all comes to a head at the end of the book. So the natural way to adapt that into film would be to keep that same structure, but the problem comes in when you realize how much material it is and how impossible it would be to pack into a single film. So ok, now you're gonna break it up into multiple films but that creates another problem which is that you don't really have a natural climax to the first part because the climax of that time period is really meant to be at the end of the story. Muschietti's solution to that was to break up the timelines and keep things in the first film mostly linear, but that of course led to the major problems with the second film.

The real answer I think is that it's just not a good fit for film, it really would be at it's best in a longer series format. Let it breath over the span of like 8 or 10 episodes and tell the story the way it was designed to be told.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The moral of the it story is kids killing clowns are cool and adults killing clowns aren’t that cool

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, absolutely. I don't really begrudge Muschietti's It. I get why he made the choice he did. It just didn't work. But it was attempting to fix a real problem. The book just doesn't translate easily into a single film or a two parter. As you said It should have been a mini series.

And the first mini had the same basic problems. They just made some better choices.

But like I said, I just think there's enough good material made that if they were so inclined they probably could make a 3-3 1/2 hour film that does a real good job. But also to what service since you'd just be catering to a niche audience that will by hyper critical and come in with a lot of expectations? And he's already rebooting Batman again and adapting an anime so why invite more of that into your life?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

honestly i think splitting up the two parts like they did could've worked fine, it's just that part two completely sucked rear end as a film

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m afraid to rewatch it. But I like pennywise’s faces and bill hader’s deadlights stare

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

honestly i think splitting up the two parts like they did could've worked fine, it's just that part two completely sucked rear end as a film

Well the problem is that the adult stuff with Pennywise just isn't that scary. So it makes sense that he felt the need to add a bunch more kid stuff. But that just all ends up feeling like repetitive bloat and then you get the less than satisfying adult finale after blowing the kid finale a movie ago. The 80s miniseries couldn't nail that landing either. King couldn't either.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I’m afraid to rewatch it. But I like pennywise’s faces and bill hader’s deadlights stare

the end bit where Pennywise does the deadlights to Hader has some cool creature design and it's like the only 30 seconds of value in that three hour movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s funny he said it would be way scarier but it wasn’t at all.

I think he fell into the trap a lot of small directors who blow up fall into. Lots of money. Free reign. Nonsense ideas with no one to say uh hey…

See the flash. A lot of the worst bits in that movie are right in line with chapter 2

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i know Cary Fukunaga turned out to be a huge creep but it does kinda seem like he was the reason It: Chapter One worked

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't seen Flash so I can't speak to its flaws. But they hardly seem exclusive to Muschietti.

Dude should probably just make another film with less baggage. Its weird he just has become the nerd adaption guy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

This seems like the easiest solution, and the one I'd be most in favour of, since it means less moving parts to keep track of.

I think what we're gonna go with is similar but like the mirror image of that idea. Instead of each person being allowed a set # of rewatches, there will be a meta challenge that will be "Watch X movies that you've never seen before", that way it's fully incorporated into the challenges and it's something you complete within what you're already doing instead of a separate rewatch counter that you have to keep track of. You must watch a certain number of new-to-you movies to complete that one particular challenge, but aside form that rewatches are fair game.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

STAC Goat posted:

I haven't seen Flash so I can't speak to its flaws. But they hardly seem exclusive to Muschietti.

Dude should probably just make another film with less baggage. Its weird he just has become the nerd adaption guy.

A lot of the humor is weird and deranged like most of the jokes in chapter 2.

Everything is like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRahVWONPqs

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The gulf between the two is so huge is hilarious, I've gone back since thinking maybe it was just surprise that Chapter One was decent that I rated it so highly but no, it really is absurd how bad Chapter Two is. One thing I am 100% certain of, though, is that Chapter One has tons of sequences shot for 3D and this would have been perfect in that format.

I remember waiting in the theater for Two to kick into the next gear and get anywhere near One but it just never happens. There was individual moments I liked but it was just dull watching the same gags again. I get the whole thematic cyclical nature of the scares repeating themselves across movies but it’s not very fun to watch. The effects cgi and otherwise in One felt fun and scary and in Two they just looked bad. It’s such an interesting contrast where so much of the same imagery and themes work in one movie and not the other.

I don’t know if the solution really is intercutting the timelines or stretching it out to a series. Maybe the solution is to let a lot of the source material go and focus on making a good feature length story and not worrying so much about fan service. I sat there watching Two knowing that when it came to the Chud stuff or the flat ending it wasn’t going to translate to the screen and guess what, it didn’t!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You do need some sort of time or generational element for It to work though, that's a huge part of what makes it compelling and scary. This thing has literally been there since before Derry existed, and seeing kids have to come back as adults to fight It a second time is too important to the story to toss out.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Exactly where I fall on this. Part 1 was super fun and had a good mix of comedy and horror.

Part 2 felt like someone knew Part 1 was successful but wasn't sure why, so they just did more of everything. More scenes with the kids. More comedy. More jump scares. Throw in an overly long Stephen King cameo. Maybe put a song in over a scene and slow it down like crazy, that's fun right?

And the ending was just a mess. Mike mentions an Ancient Native American Magic Spell (TM) that I kept assuming was a fakeout, since it's such an old fashioned and hokey trope. Then he's just like "guys, it turns out this DIDN'T WORK back when they tried it!"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

You do need some sort of time or generational element for It to work though, that's a huge part of what makes it compelling and scary. This thing has literally been there since before Derry existed, and seeing kids have to come back as adults to fight It a second time is too important to the story to toss out.

Yeah I mean you CAN tell a story with just the kids. But like you're throwing away more than half the book and the core of the generational trauma stuff then. Which like ok. But also that's what Part 1 is so... there you go.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You know what they shoulda just set part 2 a few years after and just had the kids kill pennywise again. They had more charisma then the adults minus hader and ransone

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

You know what they shoulda just set part 2 a few years after and just had the kids kill pennywise again. They had more charisma then the adults minus hader and ransone

They should've waited 5 years and brought back the same kid actors but with 5 years of actual age on them. That could've been cool.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think the adult cast is the problem. Its just that we never see them in the first film so there's a complete disconnect between them and the kids. And then the other previously stated structural and execution problems of having to pad out kid stuff and having questionable resolution plot stuff to work with.

Alternatively just make a movie about a space turtle and go for it.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Alternatively just make a movie about a space turtle and go for it.

I'm still waiting for a proper big screen "Discworld" adaptation.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it’s funny cuz i would say the worst bits of It: Chapter 2 are the ones flashing back to the hideously cgi deaged kids

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They should’ve just not done that. But I liked those scenes in spite of it

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The kids were charming as hell and I was happy to see them, but I think it definitely added to the overstuffed nature of Chapter 2. It just tried to give you everything you could possibly want without realizing why you wanted those things or how they should fit together.

The casting was great, the music was great, the movie itself looks great. It's just the plot is stretched so thin and the ending's a big wet dud, maybe even worse than the TV miniseries for me because of how excited I was for this movie.

Like Chapter 1 definitely had some issues (chiefly Bev being turned into a kidnapping victim at the end to unite the boys to help her) but it's still a very fun horror movie worth watching. I dunno when I'll revisit Chapter 2, if ever.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Basebf555 posted:

They should've waited 5 years and brought back the same kid actors but with 5 years of actual age on them. That could've been cool.

Hell go all in and wait 32 years and film the sequel

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it’s funny cuz i would say the worst bits of It: Chapter 2 are the ones flashing back to the hideously cgi deaged kids

lol they did that? What, like smooth out their wrinkles and make their eyes bigger?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pretty much.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Holy poo poo lol.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Making props for my next short.

Bought a tiny plastic devil trident and fastened the head to an old broomstick. Going to paint it gold and fashion a crossguard out of the flimsy original handle. Going to glue the spikes of the second trident head to a rubber tube with strategic holes and then pump air and fake blood through it so when properly concealed under a actor's clothes it will look like it's punching through their chest.

Also experimenting with making silvery fish like eyes like the zombies from Sugar Hill out of Christmas ornaments. However any attempts to make eye holes in the half balls seem to shatter them. So either I need to find a new way or the actor will be blind when in makeup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Class3KillStorm posted:

I'm still waiting for a proper big screen "Discworld" adaptation.

I doubt we’ll ever see a big theatrical Discworld just because the future of those kinds of movies in general is looking pretty hinky.

We did get a version of Going Postal with Claire Foy of all people though. Wasn’t amazing but it was a good time. And we’ve had some impressive Vetinaris. (Charles Dance, Jeremy Irons)