Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The minor crimes unit is busy investigating the murder of Indigenous women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Samuel Glompers posted:

You don't understand, in the full context he tries to weasel out of what he just said at the end!! Good loving god why is this moron throwing to PP as hard as he can

What exactly does he think is going to happen in the next two years? Housing affordability is just going to reverse, somehow???

No one will remember he said this, and if PP used this as an attack his alternative solution would be ten times worse. It's bait.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Chamale posted:

major crimes: mean words to cops
minor crimes: literally everything else

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Samuel Glompers posted:

You don't understand, in the full context he tries to weasel out of what he just said at the end!! Good loving god why is this moron throwing to PP as hard as he can

What exactly does he think is going to happen in the next two years? Housing affordability is just going to reverse, somehow???

nobody’s going to remember this video in two years

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Isizzlehorn posted:

No one will remember he said this, and if PP used this as an attack his alternative solution would be ten times worse. It's bait.

It's indicative of a trend of bad messaging and generally not addressing the needs of the public, and is part of why the party is trailing in polls and could very well be defeated in 2025, imo

And I don't consider the prime minister saying "Not my problem, good luck though" to be bait, I consider it to be the prime minister explicitly saying his administration doesn't give a gently caress

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

apatheticman posted:

Christ sake.

That's why we created a housing ministry cabinet position for a problem we have no control over. To pretend we are doing something, hopefully enough for you rubes to re-elect us.

LPC is on the path to blow their own foot off, and let the CPC win. But CPC will also somehow snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, so any party could win.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
except the ndp, of course

i think i would put money on a bloc majority before the ndp forming a federal government

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

infernal machines posted:

except the ndp, of course

i think i would put money on a bloc majority before the ndp forming a federal government

I blame Singh and the Tories and Grits conspiring to eliminate the per vote subsidy

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Chillyrabbit posted:

That's why we created a housing ministry cabinet position for a problem we have no control over. To pretend we are doing something, hopefully enough for you rubes to re-elect us.

LPC is on the path to blow their own foot off, and let the CPC win. But CPC will also somehow snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, so any party could win.

Yeah that's the annoying thing with punditry and "experts". That poo poo had plenty of meat to attack without being lazy and cutting off the quote.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Juul-Whip posted:

nobody’s going to remember this video in two years

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Juul-Whip posted:

nobody’s going to remember this video in two days

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
well we certainly collectively forgot about their promises from 2015:

quote:

- Prioritize significant new investments in affordable housing and seniors’ facilities, as part of the Liberals’ historic ten-year investment of nearly $20 billion in social infrastructure
- Provide $125 million per year in tax incentives to increase and substantially renovate the supply of rental housing across Canada;
- Finance the construction of new, affordable rental housing for middle- and low-income Canadians;
- Inventory all available federal lands and buildings to see what could be repurposed, and make it available at low cost for affordable housing in communities where there is a pressing need;
- Modernize the existing Home Buyers’ Plan so that it helps more Canadians finance the purchase of a home; and
- Review escalating home prices in high-priced markets – like Vancouver and Toronto – to keep home ownership within reach for Canadians living in these areas.

https://liberal.ca/trudeau-promises-affordable-housing-for-canadians/

have they done literally any of this? I'm not asking rhetorically - have they? in particular, have they financed any rental housing?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Femtosecond posted:

So far I'm fairly unconvinced that the BC NDP's social housing agenda is anything more remarkable than the bare minimum required to do occasional ribbon cuttings to fundraise off of. Nothing anywhere near enough to make up for the fact that the affordability of low cost private housing is eroding away due to vacancy being ~0%. So far we continue to have a clear net loss of affordable housing despite whatever it is the government is doing.

I have a bit more faith in Khalon's continued foreshadowing of a looming shake down of the Naughty List of Bad Municipalities, forcing them to actually create housing instead of being gated communities for the ultra wealthy.

It remains to be seen though whether this is real systemic change or again simply creating enough perception of action to fundraise off of.

Will Khalon actually hold mayors' feet to the fire and enforce real systemic change, or will actions like Vancouver's upcoming detached home upzone will be enough to satisfy him, a mild 16% increase in floorspace, and a baroque set of rules designed precisely to ensure that barely any new housing construction is viable at all. Wouldn't want any of that undesirable disruption that new housing would cause!

yeah seriously. is anyone doing anything like what they had to do in this graph?

vyelkin posted:

the problem is nothing we do right now can be an overnight fix for the fact that we spent the last 30 years not doing anything

if not, then it’s all just bullshit.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Chamale posted:

Whoa, whoa, whoa, let's not get crazy here! The minor crimes unit is strategically positioned at Superstores! The murders can be investigated by the Cadets. Let them get in some experience telling the women's families that they aren't deserving of basic human dignity.

Yes I fully believe that at the very least an effort should be made to search the landfill for the remains of the women so they can at least be given a proper burial. drat the cost, take it out of the police budget.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

vyelkin posted:

the problem is nothing we do right now can be an overnight fix for the fact that we spent the last 30 years not doing anything

Hard to understate how much lasting damage Chretien's budget cuts did

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the only promise I remember from 2015 was electoral reform and he categorically told us he was breaking it

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

to be fair he did legalize weed

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Legislation dealing with real property is, according to our constitution, a provincial power and not a federal power.

I'm hardly a Trudeau fan but he's technically right in saying that it's not the fed's responsibility to fix the housing crisis, so :shrug:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

drat horror queefs posted:

Legislation dealing with real property is, according to our constitution, a provincial power and not a federal power.

I'm hardly a Trudeau fan but he's technically right in saying that it's not the fed's responsibility to fix the housing crisis, so :shrug:

the issue is he said eight years ago " we will spend a bazillion dollars fixing the housing crisis when you elect us" and then didnt.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

well we certainly collectively forgot about their promises from 2015:

https://liberal.ca/trudeau-promises-affordable-housing-for-canadians/

have they done literally any of this? I'm not asking rhetorically - have they? in particular, have they financed any rental housing?

From reading the exasperated tweets of non-profit housing providers, my takeaway is that all this money has strings attached such that it's extremely burdensome to access the money.

I've seen the complaint that money is only available if you have a building permit, which 1) puts huge amount of risk and expense onto the builder as they have to spend money and time (years even!) navigating the municipal rezoning process and 2) puts all the power into the hands of municipalities which can continue to delay and oppose the development of new housing as they see fit.

For this reason there was a push in Vancouver by OneCity's Councillor Boyle to push for prezoning big areas of vancouver for higher heights for non-profit and social housing and making it so that non-profits could bypass the usual processes and go through an accelerated path. That would have addressed many of these concerns and helped non-profits get money from the feds faster. In 2021 it was voted down, but in 2022 a vote on it succeeded but it remains under study by city staff, so who knows how long until we get there if ever.

So ultimately the "hands off" approach of the Feds of saying "well money is available" *shrug* has not been terribly effective because the Feds have not leveraged their power and leadership to create the conditions by which people can actually use Fed funds.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

drat horror queefs posted:

the constitution seems to serve as a way to deflect responsibility more than actually help any of us. weird how the masters laws only serve the masters.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The only level of government that really wants to do public housing is municipal and all our cities are broke lol

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What if we simply live rent-free in each other's heads?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

eXXon posted:

What if we simply live rent-free in each other's heads?

Going to have to evict JT and PP first

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
daycare isn’t federal but the feds did a hell of a lot to fix it

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

DaysBefore posted:

The only level of government that really wants to do public housing is municipal and all our cities are broke lol

Even this is a mirage and distraction IMO.

it's an exercise whereby the city can get a bunch of money from the feds and then do a big fancy ribbon cutting ceremony but ultimately it's just one or two buildings and will have no real impact on anything.

The core problem is that this all relies on the city having lots of free land and despite the rhetoric from councillors, there actually really isn't that much (at least not in Vancouver) and the notion that the cities have oodles of land is a sham. Like you can go on the city arcgis map app and turn on city owned land layer and see that it's just a few developable parcels. Most of which are in old industrial areas where it will cost millions just to remediate the site.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

tuyop posted:

yeah seriously. is anyone doing anything like what they had to do in this graph?

if not, then it’s all just bullshit.

The closest thing to this is the BC NDP have announced a big fund to buy up old apartment buildings before REITs and investors can buy them up and evict everyone.

Now that is a very good idea and well worth doing, but it's fundamentally not creating any new housing so really not at all comparable to the sort of mass creation of below market housing that governments were doing in the 1960s and 70s.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

it's a neat trick that the federal government controls monetary policy but all the really expensive outlays like housing, healthcare, and education are up to each province to figure out

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

RealityWarCriminal posted:

it's a neat trick that the federal government controls monetary policy but all the really expensive outlays like housing, healthcare, and education are up to each province to figure out

it was pretty funny how in the 90s the feds cut everyone's funding and then a bunch of provincial governments got wiped out in enormous landslides because they didn't have enough money

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

it was pretty funny how in the 90s the feds cut everyone's funding and then a bunch of provincial governments got wiped out in enormous landslides because they didn't have enough money

there's an argument to be made that chrétien and martin were the worst thing to happen to canada since confederation

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

but don't you see, he balanced the budget

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

the last 30 years has been federal government pulling back and cutting taxes and saying, "well you see the provinces should simply raise taxes to pay for these services they are constitutionally obligated to provide" and then the Premiers being like, "raising taxes? That's political suicide" and enacting austerity instead.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

RealityWarCriminal posted:

but don't you see, he balanced the budget

they destroyed the social safety net and ushered in a generation of constantly deteriorating quality of life for millions of canadians, but they balanced the loving budget

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

As I noted elsewhere, Mulroney raised the capital gains inclusion rate to 75% and Chretien brought it back down to 50%. lol, lmao.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
Prior to the current rent hikes and mass homelessness there were more empty units in Toronto than homeless in all of North America. So why do we need to build more other than handing developers giant bags of cash?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eXXon posted:

As I noted elsewhere, Mulroney raised the capital gains inclusion rate to 75% and Chretien brought it back down to 50%. lol, lmao.

they were quite possibly the most ruthlessly effective conservative government in living memory

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

infernal machines posted:

they destroyed the social safety net and ushered in a generation of constantly deteriorating quality of life for millions of canadians, but they balanced the loving budget

I've mentioned this before but that manifesto for Liz Truss and the most hardcore British Tories has a whole chapter praising those cuts.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Being admired by British tories makes me sick to my stomach, but at least they're open about all of the policies and their effects (because they think they're good), whereas good luck getting any Canadian politician to openly admire the Decade of Darkness.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

good luck getting any Canadian politician to openly admire the Decade of Darkness.

loving cowards

thanks for posting those excerpts, by the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What are they going to do now that they don't have parts of the state to sell off?

They sold Petro Canada for less than it made in revenue that year iirc.