Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Android Apocalypse posted:

Margot Robbie went Full Monty in The Wolf of Wall Street.

No, that was Jonah Hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Full Monty swingin dong

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Jedit posted:

It's not exactly a subtle movie moment, but I've had it pointed out to me that Oppenheimer and Barbie both star an actor who has played a gifted psychiatrist who behaved inappropriately with their patients, went mad themselves and ended up fighting Batman.

In one of life's odder coincidences, they've also both been nominated for the BAFTA for Best Performance in a Comedy or Musical.

Oppenheimer but it's The Scarecrow would be good, is he actually building a nuke or is it his fear gas making people think he's building a nuke

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

credburn posted:

Full Monty swingin dong

What a cheesy joke

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mauser posted:

hanged dong = he dangled someone from the neck with his dong until dead

Android Apocalypse posted:

Margot Robbie went Full Monty in The Wolf of Wall Street.

A Terrible Person posted:

Sure. But there was no dong. I'm sure she could pull it off.

Harley murdered a guy while monologuing about how nice his dong was, does that count?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Harley murdered a guy while monologuing about how nice his dong was, does that count?

Come on - Harley may have liked his dong, but she didn't pull it off.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Jedit posted:

Come on - Harley may have liked his dong, but she didn't pull it off.

We're not going full Castle Freak.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Wait, what?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Enjoy! :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcfGbXmVcSo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

val kilmer beat tom cruise to a badass motorcycle scene

top secret 84 vs top gun 86

tom has been chasing ever since

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

and another thing i forgot, nandor made a music video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPrek1oAjG0

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Carthag Tuek posted:

and another thing i forgot, nandor made a music video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPrek1oAjG0

That feels super familiar, I could swear it's from a lovely low budget movie about reincarnated ancient Egyptians that the Red Letter Media guys featured but the singer's IMDB page only lists some other crappy film.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Carthag Tuek posted:

val kilmer beat tom cruise to a badass motorcycle scene

top secret 84 vs top gun 86

tom has been chasing ever since

There isn't much subtlety in Top Secret (possibly none whatsoever), but it's a great movie. So many quotable lines and stupid visual gags.

"Nick... what does that mean?" "I don't know. My father thought of it while shaving."

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

beats for junkies posted:

There isn't much subtlety in Top Secret (possibly none whatsoever), but it's a great movie. So many quotable lines and stupid visual gags.

"Nick... what does that mean?" "I don't know. My father thought of it while shaving."

“I know little German. That’s him over there.”

It’s a hilarious movie. If intoxicated, it is perhaps life threatening.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The density of jokes in that movie is relentless. It really follows the typical Z/A/Z or Mel Brooks formula, where if you don't like or get the joke you just have to wait a second or two for another one.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I love the visual gags in that movie. So dumb, so funny.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

bitterandtwisted posted:

I love the visual gags in that movie. So dumb, so funny.

These are both so stupid, and yet I laughed all the more because of that. I have to see this movie.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

These are both so stupid, and yet I laughed all the more because of that. I have to see this movie.

It is that glorious through most of its runtime. Nonstop.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Those two sight gags aren't even close to the silliest and most high effort sight gags in Top Secret! I'm not going to say what they are, because it's a great movie that everyone should watch.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What makes the stupid gags work in those movies is everyone treating it 100% straight. Just look at the expression on the face of the guy in the phone scene.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Whatever happened to those ZAZ style comedies? Did "X Movie" franchise kill them?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fish of hemp posted:

Whatever happened to those ZAZ style comedies? Did "X Movie" franchise kill them?

Yes. Plus weren’t at least some of ZAZ involved in at least the Scary Movies? Spoofs in general are not much of a thing anymore (although the people behind Black Dynamite have an upcoming Western parody).

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Also David Zucker is one of those people that went hard right after 9/11 and ended up making poo poo like An American Carol.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I'd say some TV shows have soft of taken up that style of comedy. At least they'd be closer in style of joke delivery than any movie now days.

None will beat The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! obviously.

Edit:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Also David Zucker is one of those people that went hard right after 9/11 and ended up making poo poo like An American Carol.

Offf. that hurts to read.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Never watched it but Angie Tribeca was supposed to be like a Naked Gun type of show right?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Philippe posted:

Those two sight gags aren't even close to the silliest and most high effort sight gags in Top Secret! I'm not going to say what they are, because it's a great movie that everyone should watch.

Is it the train station bit? That's a good one.

Everybody should watch Top Secret, either again or for the first time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
For a few seasons yeah. I liked it, it was cute and Rashida Jones owns. The last season tried something new and did not succeed

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
childrens hospital and ntsf:sd:suv and their various spinoffs qualify imo

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
The endings to Police Squad! the show are some of the greatest bits ever. They just end on a freeze but the camera keeps running and everyone is just desperately trying not to move as crazy poo poo happens around them. They also finish every episode with a rundown of everyone who they've put in prison so far and by like episode 6 it takes forever. gently caress Sally Decker, she should rot!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

scary ghost dog posted:

childrens hospital and ntsf:sd:suv and their various spinoffs qualify imo

Yeah. Children's hospital was really great at using it's short run time as well. Just great pacing for that kind of comedy.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
For a UK flavour of TV, A Touch of Cloth written by Charlie Brooker is pretty funny cop show parody, too.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

beats for junkies posted:

Is it the train station bit? That's a good one.

Everybody should watch Top Secret, either again or for the first time.

the underwater saloon fight is probably the highest effort one, and man is it great :allears:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The backwards Swedish bookshop also required a bunch of effort.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Torquemada posted:

The backwards Swedish bookshop also required a bunch of effort.

When they were modelling the virtual Moff Tarkin for Rogue One they used the lifecast mask of Peter Cushing taken while shooting Top Secret to build his magnifying-glass eye prosthetic.

https://www.tomspinadesigns.com/news/media/grand-moff-tarkin-lifecast-rogue-one/

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

When they were modelling the virtual Moff Tarkin for Rogue One they used the lifecast mask of Peter Cushing taken while shooting Top Secret to build his magnifying-glass eye prosthetic.

https://www.tomspinadesigns.com/news/media/grand-moff-tarkin-lifecast-rogue-one/

no wonder virtual Tarkin looked so hosed up :pwn:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I wish they'd not have

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You might also enjoy Loaded Weapon.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Loaded Weapon has a scene where Tim Curry and Whoopi Goldberg have an argument over how to pronounce “microfilm” while he keeps shooting her and it’s been stuck in my head for decades.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
meecrofilm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

also Samuel L. Jackson is in it

"why don't you make yourselves at home" is one of Cinema's greatest lines