Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Suburban Dad posted:

Another likely unpopular thing for this page: I don't like making configs and if the default or top community one feels bad, I probably won't play the game. Short of adjusting sensitivity or assigning something to the back buttons, I hate dicking around with configs personally. I just want to play games! I hate going into desktop mode and put it off usually.

:same: I just want to game not to work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Suburban Dad posted:

Another likely unpopular thing for this page: I don't like making configs and if the default or top community one feels bad, I probably won't play the game. Short of adjusting sensitivity or assigning something to the back buttons, I hate dicking around with configs personally. I just want to play games! I hate going into desktop mode and put it off usually.

Same but I will say the steam deck has had some pretty niche games I’ve played where community suggested layouts had one by some crazy genius that took all the work out of it for me
I have to assume harnessing the power of thousands of nerds means as time goes on more and more poo poo will have serviceable layouts available

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Possibly dumb question: Can I move my various proton versions to my sd card?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Atoramos posted:

Hardspace: Shipbreaker is an amazing Deck game. Leftist 'chill and slowly disect spaceships' title. Similar gameplay vibes as Powerwash Simulator.

I’m glad it finally works again. It was incredibly broken for about 6 months and would crash after a few minutes.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Getting write errors downloading to my sd card, I’ll have to try desktop mode as a first troubleshooting step

e:weird, its just Bethesda titles, like Fallout 4 and Doom Eternal.

e:looks like it's any game above 60 or 70 GB. Must be a bug somewhere.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 2, 2023

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

tango alpha delta posted:

Getting write errors downloading to my sd card, I’ll have to try desktop mode as a first troubleshooting step

I had the same issue two days ago with MCC and RDR2, happened three times with each.

Had to go to desktop and delete some leftover folders with their names on it. Seemed to work.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 2, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

CBD Corndog posted:

where👏are👏the👏trackpads👏
It's Lenovo so I'm assuming

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Suburban Dad posted:

I mean you and everyone else. But you have a game that's otherwise unplayable without kb+m not only playable, but quite possibly even better, if you do take the time to config it.

I don't typically put in the work because I have a desktop pc, but knowing the option's there is amazing to me.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

I literally never use the track pads unless in desktop mode and I'd rather use a Bluetooth kbm combo instead in that case. :v:

Most stuff has decent controller support that I don't find them that useful.

I literally always use the track pads. Superior enough to the analogue sticks that I barely touched them in the first two months of owning the deck.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I barely use the trackpads but regard them as fundamentally essential to the Steam Deck.

Even if you don't use them, they are what make "portable PC" a serious, actual thing, and the primary differentiator to anything claiming to be that that only has analogue sticks (hello, ROG Ally).

The trackpads mean desktop mode isn't an intolerable nightmare. I recently toyed around with Football Manager on Deck and the trackpads make that the only playable version of that game other than on a desktop. The handful of times I've used the trackpads in the 10 months I've owned a Deck has been enough to show me they're essential to the hardware.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Heran Bago posted:

It's Lenovo so I'm assuming

ok, so each thumb needs access to a stick, pad, dpad or set of buttons, and the thinkpad trackpoint. now just throw on a second usb-c port and make the battery easily removeable/replaceable like an old phone, and steam deck 2 design is finalised.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Normalize playing with nipples

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i genuinely have no idea how anyone gets any use out of the trackpads especially with the default settings :negative:

on the topic of controls, has anyone in here figured out The Secret to games with 8-directional movement (read: traditional roguelikes) on the deck? i'm still heartbroken that the radial menu idea didn't pan out and one of the reasons i wanted a deck in the first place was to be able to sit down in bed all comfy with some rogue

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Your Computer posted:

i genuinely have no idea how anyone gets any use out of the trackpads especially with the default settings :negative:

on the topic of controls, has anyone in here figured out The Secret to games with 8-directional movement (read: traditional roguelikes) on the deck? i'm still heartbroken that the radial menu idea didn't pan out and one of the reasons i wanted a deck in the first place was to be able to sit down in bed all comfy with some rogue

Use the sticks?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vic posted:

Use the sticks?

no it doesn't work like that - the games are turn-based and you traditionally use 8 different keys to control your movement (typically numpad 1,4,7,8,9,6,3,2) to step in that direction and each step takes up your turn

an analog stick is a terrible fit for this due to accidental inputs, repeated inputs, missed inputs (meant to go up-left, accidentally inputted up) and so on

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I would create an on-screen menu that matches the numpad layout and map it to a trackpad. I would also only have the action confirm when you release from a full press of the trackpad, which would avoid accidental misclicks if you happen to brush it.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Photex posted:

Normalize playing with nipples

Thread title

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I would create an on-screen menu that matches the numpad layout and map it to a trackpad. I would only have the action confirm when you release from a full key press, which would avoid accidental misclicks if you happen to brush the trackpad.

i should probably have mentioned the things i've already tried and outlined in my previous posts but this was one of them and unfortunately the trackpad release and press is very inconsistent and will sometimes spam inputs or just not work at all

the absolute ideal solution for me would be if i could use a different button (like a face button) to confirm the radial input of a trackpad or control stick but the input system doesn't support this so it's back to square one

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Your Computer posted:

no it doesn't work like that - the games are turn-based and you traditionally use 8 different keys to control your movement (typically numpad 1,4,7,8,9,6,3,2) to step in that direction and each step takes up your turn

an analog stick is a terrible fit for this due to accidental inputs, repeated inputs, missed inputs (meant to go up-left, accidentally inputted up) and so on

accidental,missed and repeated inputs can be eliminated by making the deadzones extremely big, so that the input registers only once you hit the rim.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Your Computer posted:

My best suggestion is to bind a touch menu to the D-Pad with each of the 8 directions and set it to only input on release. You'll have to figure out something else for the 5 key if the game uses that (e.g. for resting for a turn), I guess.

Comedy option: Hotbar menu assigned to the D-Pad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah a touchpad radial menu set to only input on release will allow you to see what you're inputting before you do it. Just set the center portion to a key that doesnt have any effect in game so that you can lift your finger without being forced to input a command

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Heran Bago posted:

Lenovo thinks they can pull a Windows 11 Steam Deck competitor.

This is a Lenovo Legion Play render, which I've never heard of before. The new one is Lenovo Legion Go. Still not as bad a name as ASUS Republic of Gamers Ally.

https://www.windowscentral.com/gaming/pc-gaming/exclusive-lenovo-is-working-on-a-pc-gaming-handheld-called-the-legion-go

Valve created a perfect controller layout. Other companies continue using what Nintendo came up with even though it’s universally known to be either uncomfortable or just bearable. Why…

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Part of it is probably cost

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Suburban Dad posted:

I literally never use the track pads unless in desktop mode and I'd rather use a Bluetooth kbm combo instead in that case. :v:

Most stuff has decent controller support that I don't find them that useful.

I’m playing inscryption right now that doesn’t have controller support but plays great with the trackpads. Before that I played the “milk outside the bag” games which also don’t support controllers.

I love the trackpads. I also tried playing risk of rain 2 with gyro plus the right trackpad for the camera and thought it was great too.

Macichne Leainig posted:

It just shows that Valve actually gave half a poo poo about doing something worthwhile and all these other companies are just trying to ride coattails with no effort.

Anyway, Steam controller 2 when :colbert:

Agreed. Valve put a lot of thought into the controls. I’ve wanted both sticks at the top + back buttons for so long.

Suburban Dad posted:

I’ve been playing on PC pretty much my whole life so I’m used to always changing the controls to whatever I find comfortable. Even when I started using a controller for everything I wanted to change certain things. For instance I don’t like how in dark souls the dodge is on B which doesn’t let you run/dodge and use the camera at the same time unless you claw grip. Right now I mostly just change the back buttons to jump/dodge in games. Sometimes the LS so I don’t have to click on the stick.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Your Computer posted:

Every so often, I'll play a game with a launcher that can't be controlled with the sticks. That's about the only time I need the trackpads, but they're incredibly useful when that happens

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I like scrolling on the trackpads

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Yeah a touchpad radial menu set to only input on release will allow you to see what you're inputting before you do it. Just set the center portion to a key that doesnt have any effect in game so that you can lift your finger without being forced to input a command

like i said input on touch release is way too fiddly to work properly - sometimes it'll fail to register entirely and other times it'll just keep inputting (presumably because the touch sensitivity is triggering a constant press/release)

i'll try setting a radial menu on the d-pad and see if that's any more reliable
e: nvm, the dpad doesn't really have a way to cancel an input after you've clicked on it

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 2, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

For the Luxor games track pad is just so much better.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Has anyone had success bringing over a modded install of Fallout 3 + New Vegas from PC to Steam Deck?

I followed the (awesome) Wasteland Survival Guide to get a modded Tale of Two Wastelands game going on my PC and am close to being done with the main Fallout 3 questline before moving over to New Vegas.

Curious if there is any way to copy all of my mods / NVSE plugins / etc. over to the Deck so I can crossplay between the two systems. I did use Mod Organizer for installing all of the mods, which feels like it might complicate the process due to its virtual filesystem stuff.

I installed a vanilla copy of New Vegas on my Deck and it looks like it would play great on there, but it would be tough for me to go back to a non-modded game at this point.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Parker Lewis posted:

Has anyone had success bringing over a modded install of Fallout 3 + New Vegas from PC to Steam Deck?

I followed the (awesome) Wasteland Survival Guide to get a modded Tale of Two Wastelands game going on my PC and am close to being done with the main Fallout 3 questline before moving over to New Vegas.

Curious if there is any way to copy all of my mods / NVSE plugins / etc. over to the Deck so I can crossplay between the two systems. I did use Mod Organizer for installing all of the mods, which feels like it might complicate the process due to its virtual filesystem stuff.

I installed a vanilla copy of New Vegas on my Deck and it looks like it would play great on there, but it would be tough for me to go back to a non-modded game at this point.

SteamTinkerLaunch is kinda janky but if you set it as the compatability tool it will install and manage a MO2 instance for a game. At that point you just need to copy the mods folder and the ini files.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

RoastBeef posted:

SteamTinkerLaunch is kinda janky but if you set it as the compatability tool it will install and manage a MO2 instance for a game. At that point you just need to copy the mods folder and the ini files.

Nice! I have not seen this before and will give it a shot, thanks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

DF cover Ratchet and Clank and Remnant 2 on the Deck, think pushing for medium settings with R+C is a bit unnecessary. Low at 40fps seems perfectly fine running on the Deck's screen. Is funny to see how long the loads are if running off the SD card though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGR3dagcxHc

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does the steam deck APU have some sort of equivalent to direct storage that windows has?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Rift Apart load times would be significantly more bearable if they'd accounted for slower loading systems and made the loading zones more visually complete. Instead they just stop you dead in the middle of a portal or white void with no additional effects or animations to convey that things are happening. Longer load times would still be noticeable, but they're just assuming that you'll have a fast enough drive and calling it a day, so it looks like the game has bugged out.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
God drat cyberpunk looks and runs so nice

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Time posted:

God drat cyberpunk looks and runs so nice

It’s voodoo magic, really. I’ve been working on knocking out all the achievements mainly playing on the deck and it’s been a really good time.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Your Computer posted:

the absolute ideal solution for me would be if i could use a different button (like a face button) to confirm the radial input of a trackpad or control stick but the input system doesn't support this so it's back to square one

EDITED WITH FEEDBACK:

Alright, here's a method for adjusting a roguelike controller layout to have a "numpad" radial menu on a joystick (in this intance, the Left Joystick) with input confirmed by pressing a different button (in this instance, the "A" button):

1. Create a new Action Set Layer (named "radial_layer" for this example) under the "Default" Action Set
  2. Configure the Left Joystick Behavior for the "Default" Action Set:
    • Select "Radial Menu" from the dropdown
    • For this example, this radial menu will be named "radial_1". Configure it as follows:
      • For the numpad arrangement, create eight Radial Menu Buttons assigned to the numpad keyboard commands 8, 9, 6, 3, 2, 1, 4, and 7
      • Set each of the eight Radial Menu Buttons to be triggered via "button chord", and set their chord buttons to "None"
      • Under [Radial Menu Settings > General], change the Radial Menu Button Type to be "Click"
  3. Configure the Left Joystick Behavior for the "Default (radial_layer)" Action Set:
    • Select "Radial Menu" from the dropdown
    • For this example, this radial menu will be named "radial_2". Configure it as follows:
      • Give it the same eight numpad commands as "radial_1" (8, 9, 6, 3, 2, 1, 4, and 7)
      • Give each of the eight Radial Menu Buttons an extra command set to "Remove Action Set Layer (radial_layer)". For each of these extra commands, make sure that "Beep when changed" is turned off when assigning the "Remove Action Set Layer" command
      • Under [Radial Menu Settings > General], change the Radial Menu Button Type to be "Continuous"
  4. Set "A" button as the radial confirmation, by assigning it two commands:
    • Command 1 (on "Start Press"): Add Action Set Layer "radial_layer"
    • Command 2 (on "Release Press", with a "Fire Start Delay" of 10): Remove Action Set Layer "radial_layer". Remember to turn off "Beep when changed" for this command

When holding a direction on the left joystick, the radial menu should appear, but the action won't trigger until "A" is pressed. The radial menu will unfortunately flicker in an unpleasant manner with this control setup, but I've found that turning down the opacity of the radial menus helps a bit.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 7, 2023

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does the steam deck APU have some sort of equivalent to direct storage that windows has?

DirectStoeage doesn’t really use the GPU for anything, unless the game is using the newest version and the game compressed it’s assets using GDEFLATE, in which case nvidia has native hardware support and everybody else uses a compute shader.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alehkhs posted:

I've got this working with the following steps:
  1. Create two radial menus (radial_1, radial_2) as you would like the layout to be ("8,9,6,3,2,1,4,7" for numpad)
  2. Adjust radial_1:
    • Change every item to be triggered via "button chord", and set their chord buttons to "None"
  3. Adjust radial_2:
    • Under [Radial Menu Settings>General], change the Radial Menu Button Type to be "Touch Release"
  4. Create a new Action Set Layer (radial_layer) under the "Default" Action Set
  5. Set up Left Joystick:
    • When on "Default" Action Set, the joystick should be set to radial_1
    • When on "Default (radial_layer)", the joystick should be set to radial_2
  6. Set "A" button as radial confirmation:
    • Command 1 (on "Start Press"): Add Action Let Layer "radial_layer"
    • Command 2 (on "Release Press", with a "Fire Start Delay" of 25): Remove Action Set Layer "radial_layer"
      • turn off the "beep" and also turn Haptics to "off"

When holding a direction on the left joystick, the radial menu should appear, but the action won't trigger until "A" is pressed and released.

what the gently caress :eyepop: that's even wilder than the previous batshit solution i tried which was making it so each radial menu changed the action layer and each action layer had a different input for the same button

that solution crashed the input system if you moved the radial menu too fast (presumably it would crash if it changed the action layer too quickly) so it didn't work but after some very quick testing this one hasn't crashed yet :sax: you didn't mention which radial menu type the radial_1 menu should be but it seems like continuous works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Your Computer posted:

:sax: you didn't mention which radial menu type the radial_1 menu should be but it seems like continuous works?

Hm. I have that one set to "click" it looks like. I think if I left it on "touch release", then it would cause the commands to double-fire.

Anyways, I'm glad it's working out for you! I wasn't sure if I was forgetting any critical steps. Let me know if anything major pops up and I can dig back through it.