Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

TheKingslayer posted:

The Night Flier punches above it's weight as far as investigation horror flicks go.

O hell yeah. I’d never heard of this.

Shukran, amigo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It has probably been mentioned but the two Kolchak movies and the series are entirely investigative horror.

It’s early 70s and it’s schlocky at times, but it’s also great fun. I have all of it on DVD and it’s a traditional watch every spooky season.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
so I had been aware of it for a while now but finally got around to watching the Team Fortress 2 fan film Emesis Blue and it ended up being very effective as a horror film on its own merits and not just as a fan film(not to mention how impressive it looks visually and for how long it is for something made in Source Film Maker which to say is a temperamental program is an understatement), definitely recommend giving it a watch;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ODG8bFme0

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

I am going to watch it rn based on this recommendation.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i mean ill watch it but i wont be happy about it

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Hollismason posted:

I'm actually going with The First Power which a later movie Fallen kind of ripped off. Its got Lou Diamond Phillips and I like him. Kind of felt like going with another detective demonic film.

Oh no what a terrible choice lol

Hollismason posted:

The First Power is loving hilarious.

Well at least you laughed

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

Okay so far I've got uh Cast a Deadly Spell, The Mothman Prophecies, Exorcist 3. All rewatches but I'm still looking for investigative horror movies.

The Borderlands (aka Final Prayer)!!

"After reports of strange phenomena in a rural English church, a team is sent by the Vatican to see if what is happening qualifies as a miracle."

Found footage investigation. Good movie!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
A classic jumpscare is the first time you heard either Tom or Jerry talk.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The Borderlands (aka Final Prayer)!!

"After reports of strange phenomena in a rural English church, a team is sent by the Vatican to see if what is happening qualifies as a miracle."

Found footage investigation. Good movie!

A classic.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, The Borderlands is brilliant, definitely one to recommend.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Oh drat alright I've never heard of The Borderlands that sounds like my jam.

Hopefully it's available to me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

If you do Amazon Video you can get a 7 day free trial of one of their add-on channels that has the movie. Make sure you search for it until Final Prayer though, that's the name Amazon lists it under.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I remember The Empty Man being an investigation film for like half its runtime. However, I felt that element detracted from the creepy supernatural aspect, and then it spent so long being an investigation film that when it circled back to being a creepy supernatural film, it didn't work anymore.

Your mileage may vary.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/bdisgusting/status/1686736856858116097?s=46&t=wbUf_u7uOvtvxKOmB6dAHQ

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Heads up, From Beyond and Dagon were added to Shudder recently. I know most people have seen From Beyond by now but it's not always been the most accessible film so it being on Shudder is a good opportunity.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Basebf555 posted:

Heads up, From Beyond and Dagon were added to Shudder recently. I know most people have seen From Beyond by now but it's not always been the most accessible film so it being on Shudder is a good opportunity.

HELL YEAH

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

From Beyond also def qualifies as investigative horror

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Dagon may not be my favorite horror movie of all time, but it is unquestionably the wettest

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

If there's one single hallmark of a Stuart Gordon movie, it's goop.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mover posted:

Dagon may not be my favorite horror movie of all time, but it is unquestionably the wettest

DAGON has an all-time of a degloving scene, so, y'know be aware.

what are ya'lls favorite deglovings?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

I like in Hellraiser 2 when Julia gets yanked completely out of her skin. And you see her skinless body kinda wiggling around as it gets dragged back into the Labyrinth. Good stuff.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I like in Hellraiser 2 when Julia gets yanked completely out of her skin. And you see her skinless body kinda wiggling around as it gets dragged back into the Labyrinth. Good stuff.

Hellraiser (2022) was the first time in a long time I actually got squicked out, and it was at the final degloving over the bottomless well.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

If full skinning is on the table, Pyramid Head just whipping a woman's skin off in a single pull is the high point of that Silent Hill movie.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

If full skinning is on the table, Pyramid Head just whipping a woman's skin off in a single pull is the high point of that Silent Hill movie.

To be fair, it's pretty easy to be the high point of the Silent Hill movie.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Oh yeah, that's what I mean, it's a pretty poor movie that just has one gnarly as gently caress kill.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Imo the silent hill movie is defensible, to a degree. The aesthetic and vibe is very good. Soundtrack is from the games and is good. It's just most of the other stuff. I never saw the 2nd one but I'm cautiously optimistic for the upcoming 3rd

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

DAGON has an all-time of a degloving scene, so, y'know be aware.

I love that a niche topic like this will spark earnest debate in this thread.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Twilight of the Dead, George A. Romero's planned zombie movie finally coming to life.

quote:

Deadline brings us the latest update, reporting that the film now has “backing from Roundtable Entertainment and a planned late 2023 start date in Puerto Rico.”

“The George A. Romero estate is teaming up with LA-based financier-producer Roundtable,” Deadline reports, with Twilight of the Dead being positioned as the “final installment” in Romero’s ‘Dead’ franchise. The original treatment for the planned project was penned by Romero himself, but Joe Knetter, Robert Lucas, and Paolo Zelati tackled the actual screenplay.

Romero followed seminal zombie film Night of the Living Dead with Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead, Diary of the Dead and Survival of the Dead. The upcoming Twilight of the Dead takes the zombie terror to a fresh location: a tropical island.

Twilight of the Dead is said to “delve into the dark nature of humanity from the perspective of the last humans on earth who are caught between factions of the undead.”

Deadline also notes, “The production team on Twilight of the Dead, which includes the late filmmaker’s last wife and estate manager Suzanne Romero, is in negotiations with a director, and was in talks with cast before the SAG-AFTRA strike hit. They are applying for an interim agreement.”

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Imo the silent hill movie is defensible, to a degree. The aesthetic and vibe is very good. Soundtrack is from the games and is good. It's just most of the other stuff. I never saw the 2nd one but I'm cautiously optimistic for the upcoming 3rd

Clearly someone understood the assignment purely because of the brilliant character design that went into Colin.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Did anyone say Videodrome? Solid investigation there and the lead being a scumbag makes James Woods’ worminess tolerable.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Bone Tomahawk was good but it also made me weirdly stoked because I have the same chairs they used for the saloon scene.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sad question posted:

Bone Tomahawk was good but it also made me weirdly stoked because I have the same chairs they used for the saloon scene.

Put this pull quote on the poster

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

sad question posted:

I inherited my grandma's dining room table and chairs. They're great quality solid wood furniture and I'm happy to have a connection to grandpa and grandma, but... I always wanted a full set of well-maintained Cesca chairs and now I'll never ever have a need to, and that bums me out just a tiny bit.

Yknow, these ones, from every single tv show and movie about a family with hip or retro sensibilities:

(Full disclosure, my family had a set of "knockoffs" in the 80s, so it's more that I'm nostalgic for those and find it funny that film has settled on the Cesca as the set dressing of choice. I bought a dogshit pair for like 5 bucks when I moved out that's still in my basement)

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 2, 2023

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
The only chairs I've noticed in a movie are the chairs Francis Dollarhyde had in Manhunter. Where did he get them? His whole house was decorated oddly though, I think he had a giant print of the moon on one wall.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

It's on Tubi in Canada under the Final Prayer title, check yours

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve seen the end. I’ll never watch the rest

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Phy posted:

Yknow, these ones, from every single tv show and movie about a family with hip or retro sensibilities:

We had a set of those in the UK in the 90s, I remember seeing the Kennedys on Neighbours had them as well and going "oh we've got those chairs!"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

weekly font posted:

Did anyone say Videodrome? Solid investigation there and the lead being a scumbag makes James Woods’ worminess tolerable.

Woods is a good actor and his being a total piece of trash just enhances a big chunk of his roles.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Christopher Landon (director of the Happy Death Day series and Freaky) has been confirmed as the director of Scream VII. I'm kinda into the pick, honestly. The guy clearly loves classic slashers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Christopher Landon (director of the Happy Death Day series and Freaky) has been confirmed as the director of Scream VII. I'm kinda into the pick, honestly. The guy clearly loves classic slashers.

That's a good choice because Scream has always had a sense of humor except the last one.