Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Guavanaut posted:

The Jamie Oliver Story

"Awright boys and girls, now you've seen what goes into the pie, who still wants to eat it?"

Sadjamie.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

it only becomes lovely when you start using it to pathologize other people (or when you can't have a conversation without everyone accusing each other of gaslighting and projecting).
Specifically with PTSD, it weakens the ability of people to say "I need to leave this situation because it's triggering me" if everyone around them is using the Piers Morgan definition and is going to start going off about snowflakes.

I might be on the defensive about this because my wife has PTSD over a legit violent death she witnessed, and she definitely feels like she wouldn't be able to say it to anyone outside of a clinical environment.

E: specifically, 'triggered' in a clinical context means "the trauma I encountered was so great I have not been able to process it and pass it from short to long-term memory, and so my body's stress response system is acting as if the worst moment I have ever experienced is currently happening, and is kicking in fight-or-flight panic as a response."

But because the TV oval office wants to seem tough, he's decided to pretend it just means "a bloo bloo I don't like this." And the more people use it that way, the less possible it is to use it legitimately.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 2, 2023

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

crispix posted:

yeah but that's a very big problem

health service is collapsing, education budget is hosed, bus services have been cut to the bone, main roads are full of holes, a lot of B roads have become unusable unless you want to wreck your car and they're even considering turning off the drat street lights

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-streetlights-could-turned-26834715

it's getting noticeably worse all the time

It just seems mad to me how big the contrast is between rich AF Ireland and albeit Brexit-trade unaffected, how much NI is let down by such a small amount of people.

when do you have elections again? surely with the declining Protestant population (or growing catholic?) the DUP is nearly out of road. I think the future is a lot brighter for NI than England. Unification will happen before Scottish independence imo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ireland does not, as far as I know, actually spread its wealth around very much, and has many of the same problems that the UK does (bad government, awful housing)

Maximum Pepsi
Jul 30, 2022

by vyelkin
Dont got cahsing waterfalls.

It is allbad. I keep trying. i really keep fyucking trying. I know it is bad. like when I see chrispix, i think hw is ok. I cannot undresss what i done/do.

I keep trying. I really fucoking try. but i dont know how to make it ok.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Ireland does not, as far as I know, actually spread its wealth around very much, and has many of the same problems that the UK does (bad government, awful housing)

I think I'm a broken record but Irish government is essentially "also Tory cunts, but somewhat less so". We don't have an NHS because we were an economic basketcase until the 90s , but we do have much more robust social spending than the UK afaict.

Property markets turbofucked for various reasons tho.

Weird though, when I was a kid you used to know when you'd crossed over into NI because the roads became good. Not so much now

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
yeah we used to talk about the shite roads in the south lol

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
SHITEY AULD FREE STEE-AT ROW-ADS :bahgawd:

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
what was that thing your government did with all the empty houses

when they bought them off people, made them tidy, and gave them back?

or did I dream that

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Crystal Thenis posted:

or did I dream that

No your thinking of the failing banks, where they bought them made them profitable again and then sold them at a loss.

See also private rail/bus contracts, energy firms, bitcoin probably.

Edit oh wait this was about Ireland nm

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 2, 2023

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Maximum Pepsi posted:

It is allbad. I keep trying. i really keep fyucking trying. I know it is bad. like when I see chrispix, i think hw is ok. I cannot undresss what i done/do.

Are you drunk

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Crystal Thenis posted:

or did I dream that

Imagine all the houses

It's easy if you try

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/housing-grants-and-schemes/vacant-property-refurbishment-grant/

I think this is it?

sorry, they may have some similarities cus all politicians are bells but lmfao if you think the Torys would ever be this generous

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Maximum Pepsi posted:

hello no_one, kicking the drink is going well i see

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
don't be rude :mad:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Crystal Thenis posted:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/housing-grants-and-schemes/vacant-property-refurbishment-grant/

I think this is it?

sorry, they may have some similarities cus all politicians are bells but lmfao if you think the Torys would ever be this generous

Well yeah, that's a thing.

It's worth understanding the context that all the housing schemes in Ireland exist primarily to keep property prices elevated, and the rest is window dressing. I own a house here, so it's not like I'm just being bitter towards homeowners. Basically Ireland's tax arrangements preclude any other meaningful form of personal financial investment, so it becomes all about petit landlordism, and property=economy. Probably even a lot of our pseudo-Tories would like to get off the wild ride now, but every offramp would require political courage.

Also, our current Taoiseach sleeps in a big bed with his husband and a picture of Mrs Thatcher every night. His election campaign focused on big bus ads about grassing up benefit scroungers so they could be rendered into dogmeat

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Therapy speak coming into normal parlance is great because among sound people it normalises therapy and talking about mental health and is also a great warning light when overused to let you know you’re in a conversation with an insufferable twat

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Failed Imagineer posted:

Well yeah, that's a thing.

It's worth understanding the context that all the housing schemes in Ireland exist primarily to keep property prices elevated, and the rest is window dressing. I own a house here, so it's not like I'm just being bitter towards homeowners. Basically Ireland's tax arrangements preclude any other meaningful form of personal financial investment, so it becomes all about petit landlordism, and property=economy. Probably even a lot of our pseudo-Tories would like to get off the wild ride now, but every offramp would require political courage.

Also, our current Taoiseach sleeps in a big bed with his husband and a picture of Mrs Thatcher every night

I don’t know m8 sounds like yous are living in a land of milk and honey over there compared to this failed nation

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Crystal Thenis posted:

I don’t know m8 sounds like yous are living in a land of milk and honey over there compared to this failed nation

I've never suggested otherwise. I only hang around here to lol

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Crystal Thenis posted:

It just seems mad to me how big the contrast is between rich AF Ireland and albeit Brexit-trade unaffected, how much NI is let down by such a small amount of people.

when do you have elections again? surely with the declining Protestant population (or growing catholic?) the DUP is nearly out of road. I think the future is a lot brighter for NI than England. Unification will happen before Scottish independence imo.

Basically, the last elections in NI were in May 2022. Sinn Féin had the majority and thus would have had the First Minister. (Which is sort of a symbolic role since the largest political party on the other side of the Unionist/Nationalist divide would have gotten to nominate a Deputy First Minister.)

So, even though this basically resulted in an argument which was the political version of "whose name is listed first on the credits" this was enough for the DUP to refuse to go back into Government. Officially they said it was about the Northern Irish Protocol. Really, it was about this.

This was after a long period of no Government sitting either.

So despite the fact that Northern Ireland is going without a government for over a year, the UK refuses to make them hold a re-election since it's better to do nothing and hope everyone just gives up and does what they are told, I guess. It's pretty baffling.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think I'm a broken record but Irish government is essentially "also Tory cunts, but somewhat less so". We don't have an NHS because we were an economic basketcase until the 90s , but we do have much more robust social spending than the UK afaict.

Property markets turbofucked for various reasons tho.

Weird though, when I was a kid you used to know when you'd crossed over into NI because the roads became good. Not so much now

The beat example of this is Leopold Varadker who said this.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...1533012262.html

When what he means is he dreams of a time when Ireland would rejoin the United Kingdom, let it be ruled over by Westminster but he would get to be the King's representative in Ireland and be allowed go to all the upper class parties in England and stuff.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I've never suggested otherwise. I only hang around here to lol

Well that and to occasionally make comments like "What? You don't have Spice Bags yet?
(Laughs in Galach.)

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 2, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Crystal Thenis posted:

I find it better to think of this possible outcome as one of multiple decades to a century, sudden change can be problematic over here. :jihad:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

The beat example of this is Leopold Varadker who said this.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...1533012262.html

When what he means is he dreams of a time when Ireland would rejoin the United Kingdom, let it be ruled over by Westminster but he would get to be the King's representative in Ireland and be allowed go to all the upper class parties in England and stuff.

Yeah that article makes it very clear that Leo and co consider themselves the Sensibles, and that nobody could really have any left-wing convictions or want to improve the common man's lot in any way, it's all just aesthetics.

You've nailed it though - he has Viceroy mindset

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
I find Ireland fascinating but being one of the few people here with no biological links whatsoever it’s more of an Oliver Twist looking through the window kind of thing.

there is just so much life and possibility. even the wood chip thing quaint in a way when you compare to HS2 or any other of our corrupt schemes.

the average brit has no idea about that housing scheme or any of it, and i guess the new passport folks are happy to stay quiet. good on them/yous but yeah, jealous.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
*points at volcano* the dog farted

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I posted that to the wrong thread and you know what? I'm going to leave it there.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I would caution against becoming a weeaboo for Ireland (Éireboo ?), you might be disappointed.

But y'know , you're free to just move here if you want, we have a Common Travel Area

Microplastics posted:

*points at volcano* the dog farted

:hmmyes: what they said

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Crystal Thenis posted:

I find Ireland fascinating but being one of the few people here with no biological links whatsoever it’s more of an Oliver Twist looking through the window kind of thing.

there is just so much life and possibility. even the wood chip thing quaint in a way when you compare to HS2 or any other of our corrupt schemes.

the average brit has no idea about that housing scheme or any of it, and i guess the new passport folks are happy to stay quiet. good on them/yous but yeah, jealous.

There's still a Common Travel Area between the UK and Ireland after brexit, so anyone is free to move there if they want.

You can even get a passport after five years.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

I would caution against becoming a weeaboo for Ireland (Éireboo ?), you might be disappointed.

But y'know , you're free to just move here if you want, we have a Common Travel Area

Both are full of arseholes... just slightly different types of arseholes. :rolleyes:

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Failed Imagineer posted:

oh no, don’t get me wrong, im English till I die

hopefully I live long enough to see Birmingham truly prosper as the south is flooded/desertified in equal measure. that’ll teach yous for saying we speak funny an that.

it just blows my mind how different things are in Ireland and how little we understand this.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Crystal Thenis posted:

You're under arrest

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Microplastics posted:

You're under arrest

they already said that

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
i must live long enough to see the Home Counties fail

or go lib whatever comes first

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Crystal Thenis posted:

Well at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Met are now nicking people for, erm, having excessive Maltese’s

https://twitter.com/mpslewishamcntl/status/1667126730790952960?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Crystal Thenis posted:

it's really not that brilliant - don't get your hopes up too much

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

crispix posted:

it's really not that brilliant - don't get your hopes up too much

my stepdad worked with a land owner in Tralee to build a big wind farm and that’s my experience of Ireland in the flesh

it was very nice and green, they gave away cooked sausages in the pubs, the lemonade was a different colour. nice memories.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

£367 is just one of those inflated plod "street values" if you sold every Malteser individually

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Literally a Police Squad! skit. A dozen officers rushing someone for having chocolate bars with "not for individual sale" written on them while a bunch of terrorists and gangsters wander past in the background carrying rocket launchers and big burlap sacks with currency signs on.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Crystal Thenis posted:

my stepdad worked with a land owner in Tralee to build a big wind farm and that’s my experience of Ireland in the flesh

it was very nice and green, they gave away cooked sausages in the pubs, the lemonade was a different colour. nice memories.

Just lmao if you don't get cocktail sausages and triangular sandwiches in your rural pubs smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

If they can't eat that many malteesers they're just not trying hard enough.