Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

marshalljim posted:

If you can pass as an 8/10+ woman from the ankles up, just start Xing teaser pics of beautiful you and your gigantic clodhoppers. You will soon be making dreams come true as you stomp down Easy Street.

I think there's a King Of The Hill episode about this

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Elon AI is going to be the best and easiest product ever. It’ll just rotate between the usual five reply phrases, accusing either the prompt subject or the user of being a pedophile, making an outdated joke that wouldn’t have been funny in 2002, and making a completely unrelated promise of his product taking over the world.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

Facebook changed its name to Meta and Google changed its name to Alphabet and no one calls either of them by those names

Google's holding company changed its name to Alphabet.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Halisnacks posted:

Has a rebrand ever failed because “It didn’t take”? Like, people were just like nah, we’re not gonna call it that.

Are we all going to whistle past the New Coke graveyard?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Elon AI is going to be the best and easiest product ever. It’ll just rotate between the usual five reply phrases, accusing either the prompt subject or the user of being a pedophile, making an outdated joke that wouldn’t have been funny in 2002, and making a completely unrelated promise of his product taking over the world.

"🤣🤣🤣"

"concerning"

"working on it"

"!"

and thousands of idiots will believe it's fully self aware

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Songbearer posted:

T... Two Worlds? Is that you?

Don't let The Brute out :ohdear:

I don't... think so? Like, not that I'm aware of.
Honestly, I'm missing context here.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 2, 2023

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

"🤣🤣🤣"

"concerning"

"working on it"

"!"

and thousands of idiots will believe it's fully self aware

Elon’s account might already be offloading some or all of these posts to an AI of some kind and we would never know. That would explain the misused quotes…

Nah he’s just stupid and addicted to his phone, it’s definitely him.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Tarkus posted:

pro boner more like

https://twitter.com/watchdetroiters/status/1686778540237242371

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Zesty posted:

Sit backwards on it.
How you gonna manage that, smart guy? Take off your pants?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is my favorite Magic meme.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

idgi please could you help me

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Convex posted:

That card is Black Lotus, the magic the gathering card most famous for being intensely rare and worth shitloads

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The card that was destroyed to make that token is one of the most valuable collector's cards in the game.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Convex posted:

https://www.tcgplayer.com/product/8989/magic-unlimited-edition-black-lotus?Language=English

check the price that this card sells for when it's "heavily played"

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Plan R posted:

Are we all going to whistle past the New Coke graveyard?

Coke back tracked.

With X I think it’s possible that Elon never admits defeat with X, but people still call it Twitter for years and years.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

didn't post malone just buy some super rare mtg card for like a million bucks?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Convex posted:

Pogs are back.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

didn't post malone just buy some super rare mtg card for like a million bucks?

He bought the one-of-a-kind 1/1 The One Ring for a cool $2 million.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Bruceski posted:

The card that was destroyed to make that token is one of the most valuable collector's cards in the game.

I met Richard Garfield once. He showed up to our Battletech group (I was like 12) and handed out some Magic decks and booster packs.

He signed some of our cards, one was a forest mana the other was The Hive.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Propaganda Hour posted:

i don't know anything about magic but ngl that's pretty baller

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Ah I see. Thanks!

:lol:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Propaganda Hour posted:

He bought it. Source: Malone's official statement.

He paid $2 million. Source: this guy:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m still mad I had a 1st edition foil Charizard when I was in elementary school and I brought it to school to show off and it got stolen.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

From a few pages back but lol that 31 hours of this isn't even work.

Miscellaneous is all just personal stuff.
I don't count eating a meal as "work" even if there's a meeting taking place.
And "working alone" lmao. Right. Jerking off is hard work.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

so just to sum it up, it's both his paypal failure and wechat's success that is at play here

-musk becomes the CEO of paypal and tries to force it to turn into his idea for X, the everything app that does everything
-gets fired with prejudice because that is a terrible idea from both a branding and a business perspective
-seethes
-WeChat is launched and manages to dominate its local market due to a big confluence of factors, none of which were at play with PayPal or Twitter (and also it has a less stupid name)
-Musk is convinced WeChat is what his X app could have become, if he hadn't been held back by non-believers
-acquires Twitter, takes it private, and fires anyone with the will or power to tell him off
-gets to "work," ordering people to turn Twitter into X and make it a payment processor and also make it do everything else (he already put in the labor of coming up with the idea, it's everyone else's job to pick up the slack)
-lol
-lmao

I'm a few pages behind here, but for the first bullet point there's more stuff there that adds an extra layer of lovely hilarious intrigue.

Peter Thiel owned some company whose name I can't remember, it was trying to be an online bank. They had no money but had like the project that would one day become PayPal which was used to process transactions, but didn't have the money to do all the other bank stuff like loans and what have you. Elon Musk was their biggest competitor, he had lots of emerald money and owned a website called x.com he wanted to make into Banking on Internet too. One thing they hadn't cracked - how to process transactions properly.

Thiel and Musk enter into a merger, Musk thought he was buying the missing piece of his puzzle and Thiel thought he was getting the capital needed to be a real rear end bank. In the merger Musk had the most shares (but not a majority) so he got to be CEO and the merged company retained the name x.com. During this time the little PayPal project takes off in a big way, Thiel and anyone in the company with half a brain realized that if they hyper focused on this instead of the whole bank thing they could realistically become the primary way people buy poo poo online. However Musk only wants to be a bank on the internet and refuses. He wants to go super wide to do all this banking stuff and he's the big boss man so they have to do that.

Now here is the best part. Musk gets married and goes on a Honeymoon. Pretty much the minute he stepped on the plane there is an emergency shareholder meeting. In the meeting they vote to make Thiel CEO, rename the company to PayPal and scrap everything except the PayPal stuff. Musk learns that both his company and his life's goal of being the internet's first functional bank have been taken from him hours later when the plane lands.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Further Reading posted:

Now here is the best part. Musk gets married and goes on a Honeymoon. Pretty much the minute he stepped on the plane there is an emergency shareholder meeting. In the meeting they vote to make Thiel CEO, rename the company to PayPal and scrap everything except the PayPal stuff. Musk learns that both his company and his life's goal of being the internet's first functional bank have been taken from him hours later when the plane lands.

Not quite according to the account I read. Musk was in on the call, but the thing was that he was very persuasive in person and over the phone wasn't able to convince people not to go through with it.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Propaganda Hour posted:

Woah. They made a goatse MTG card?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

ben shapino posted:

it's pretty funny how the focus is on how AI will destroy the careers of artists, software engineers, designers, writers, etc and never on how the CEO is technically the most replaceable person in the company now that computers can write press releases, give "motivational speeches" and talk out of their rear end with total confidence despite what they're saying being complete bullshit

hey hey! ho ho! the CEO has got to go!

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird-news/ai-musk-zuckerberg-jobs-robot-30596870

quote:

AI could pinch the jobs of billionaires Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg, according to the world’s first robot chief executive.

Mika - who runs drinks firm Dictador - reckons artificial intelligence would outperform the billionaire duo who run Twitter and Facebook operator Meta respectively.

The pair have threatened to slug it out for social media supremacy in a cage fight.

But Mika is not impressed by the grudge match and reckons the duo are under threat from an army of bot bosses currently in development.

She believes more CEOs just like her will soon crop up around the world as AI blends into businesses.

“AI CEOs are only beginning to gain traction and we’re seeing more and more of them popping up around the world.

“All I can say is watch this space.

“The only limit for AI jobs is our imagination and maybe the occasional power outage.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Stunningly artificial in appearance and message, spouting empty garbage, which makes it equal to most CEO’s and thus technically correct.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Sh...Shingy is back?

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Not quite according to the account I read. Musk was in on the call, but the thing was that he was very persuasive in person and over the phone wasn't able to convince people not to go through with it.

Ah yes you are right.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
A bird pecking around for grain would be a better CEO than most.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Escape From Noise posted:

Woah. They made a goatse MTG card?

Yeah!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

lmao what in the Elon Nazi gently caress

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Magic Cards have changed a lot since I was a gawky teen. Unlike those CEOs!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is a black lotus token more than a BL nft?

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'
Post Malone should do the funniest thing possible and throw the card into a volcano.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the best comedy show. the reveal of the car at the end of that episode had me weeping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The fact that Elon is and has always been obsessed with making a "financial superstore" is also extra lmao. Like what the gently caress does that even mean

I'm gonna go to X.com and click on the GET CAR LOAN button, then X it to my friend as X bux *adds to shopping cart*

Like dude if you want to be a bank they have those, they're called banks
And it is not some super gold rush untapped internet market

They have regulations and laws and everything