Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Don't leave now, it's just getting good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Pepsi
Jul 30, 2022

by vyelkin

Lt. Danger posted:

crusty jugglers

*checks pants*

oh yea, haha

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Crystal Thenis posted:

they pay taxes!

Are you literally a member of the Taxpayers' Alliance or something

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Crystal Thenis posted:

they pay taxes!

Yes, and they get decent facilities and treatment in exchange. Travelers get dumped in whatever undeveloped concrete plot is going spare and struggle to access services like schooling in a timely and humanising manner no matter how much tax they pay. We have to make good faith, long term investment first, travelers have invariably spent their entire lives being treated as unwanted waste and it is completely unrealistic to expect them to be model citizens based on a pinky promise of good treatment at some nebulous future date.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
"look, there's a national discussion about methods of ethnic cleansing and I'm just talking about who I want it to happen to first and why- I mean why are you even worried? if they choose to stop existing and assimilate into our culture more readily we won't even have to do the things I pointedly refuse to discuss!"

one wonders who is next after grt folks

-

weirdly enough I know a few people who are doing really well and never attended infant/junior/secondary school as a kid

their parents were middle class and filled out some forms, and then the state seemed to stop worrying pretty much entirely

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Jakabite posted:

If it doesn’t matter then why not just tell me what you’d like to see done with any travellers who refuse Labour’s plan.

gently caress it, this wasn't aimed at me, but:

Provide housing in towns and communities for people to live in, send their kids to school, have jobs and bank accounts and pay taxes and all that stuff that makes up part of living in Britain.

If you refuse to take that up, then we start applying laws that already exist for the rest of our society to that community.
Not giving your children an education? Then I'm afraid you lose those children and they get adopted out. You have a responsibility to those kids and your desire to live free on the road isn't as important as giving them that education and health care

Not got a permanent address? Then your car insurance is probably not gonna be valid.

Ripping up fences / gateposts and parking on sports fields? That's an arrest or fine. Same for fly tipping

Cash in hand work and tax avoidance? Like we've got laws against that too.

It's poo poo, nobody asked for this society, but you can't just choose to opt out and also expect special privileges.

It's me, I'm the ukmt fash

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
As a trans person who is also facing a cleansing, things are feeling very familiar to me. I'm sure I've seen this kind of poo poo before, in a history book somewhere

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DiscoWitch posted:

Hey I've not read this thread in a while what's going o:yikes:

You will note that the three or so people Doing A Hitler here are not exactly long time thread regular posters.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

one wonders who is next after grt folks

After TGR folks it's TransGendeR folks--

DiscoWitch posted:

As a trans person who is also facing a cleansing, things are feeling very familiar to me. I'm sure I've seen this kind of poo poo before, in a history book somewhere

ah beaten

Maximum Pepsi
Jul 30, 2022

by vyelkin

DiscoWitch posted:

no, you really havent. (loving probe me, oval office)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

feedmegin posted:

You will note that the three or so people Doing A Hitler here are not exactly long time thread regular posters.

Look, up there in the sky! It's the Fash Symbol!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

my primary and secondary school were near an RAF base and so there was a constant revolving door of kids coming and going as their parent(s) were deployed and returning from overseas. The schools had a pretty good system of additional support for those kids and their families - the issue is that these systems were specifically flagged for military families (similar to what is mentioned here). I don't see why it couldn't be expanded to all non-static families.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i'm sure if we were all nice and polite to this guy and didn't call him any rude words like "tory" he would surely engage with any of the 20 points people have made in between calling him that. it might only take two or three attempts to get him to answer a single question rather than like ten and counting

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Maximum Pepsi posted:

:staredog:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

DreddyMatt posted:

Not got a permanent address? Then your car insurance is probably not gonna be valid.

Did you literally name yourself after Judge Dredd?

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

kecske posted:

my primary and secondary school were near an RAF base and so there was a constant revolving door of kids coming and going as their parent(s) were deployed and returning from overseas. The schools had a pretty good system of additional support for those kids and their families - the issue is that these systems were specifically flagged for military families (similar to what is mentioned here). I don't see why it couldn't be expanded to all non-static families.

great idea, but you put that out there like in this topic and people will still call you a nazi

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

[a bunch of people post a bunch of informative stuff]

BUT YOU TRY AND POINT THAT OUT AND PEOPLE CALL YOU A NAZI

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Thread title looking scarily accurate rn.

I know everyone's being kinda easy on the poster who was drunk and suicidal, but maybe they could be banned if they're just gonna abuse trans posters and shite on about facts>feelings and how SOMETHING MUST BE DONE ?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Crystal Thenis posted:

constant movement for any developing kid is a bad thing. these kids suffer and the wheel keeps turning.

Do you have any actual proof for this that doesn't use the dominant societies social views to claim it. "Why is this bad" being answered with "fgsgshdjrusbl TRAVLLERS" is not exactly good rhetoric.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Perhaps we should start applying laws to them until they assimilate better.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, is getting something they don't deserve

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I'm jealous of travellers because they can just hit da bricks whereas we are all stuck in our cubes. And when the waters come for us, they can modify their homes to float while we will have to build tunnels between air pockets.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Sorry the "facts>feelings" stuff was one of the other recent bad posters, but nevertheless

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sorry the "facts>feelings" stuff was one of the other recent bad posters, but nevertheless

to be fair they're all the same in how like any person who says "facts > feelings" it always turns out they're basing everything on gut feelings and emotional reactions rather than any actual evidence

Maximum Pepsi
Jul 30, 2022

by vyelkin

Angepain posted:

i'm sure if we were all nice and polite to this guy and didn't call him any rude words like "tory" he would surely engage with any of the 20 points people have made in between calling him that. it might only take two or three attempts to get him to answer a single question rather than like ten and counting

ange u seem like a decent poster. I dont want to gently caress with you.

I've just read failed imagineers post below mine before I am posting.

but gently caress that. I am already banned for poo poo-posting itt. Maybe you can hell-ban me idk.
Make it so I am loving banned from this hell-site I dont loving care.

I am not a loving tory and don't try to colour me like that.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

DreddyMatt posted:

gently caress it, this wasn't aimed at me, but:

Provide housing in towns and communities for people to live in, send their kids to school, have jobs and bank accounts and pay taxes and all that stuff that makes up part of living in Britain.

If you refuse to take that up, then we start applying laws that already exist for the rest of our society to that community.
Not giving your children an education? Then I'm afraid you lose those children and they get adopted out. You have a responsibility to those kids and your desire to live free on the road isn't as important as giving them that education and health care

Ripping up fences / gateposts and parking on sports fields? That's an arrest or fine. Same for fly tipping

It's poo poo, nobody asked for this society, but you can't just choose to opt out and also expect special privileges.

It's me, I'm the ukmt fash

Well you’re right on that last point. At least you have the bollocks to say ‘I’d take away their kids and lock them up’.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you don't want people to think you're a tory you could always change your mind about the things you say that make people think you are one.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

DreddyMatt posted:

do you... do you think the GRT community is impervious to arrest? do you think policemen try to approach them and they get repelled by a magical forcefield

DreddyMatt posted:

i'm sure the lack of access to education and health care is just down to choice of the parents and not down to society making it specifically difficult. also, why should you need a permanent address to have access to education and health care?

DreddyMatt posted:

why should you need a permanent address to have car insurance?

DreddyMatt posted:

see question above re: magic forcefields

DreddyMatt posted:

what special privileges? being treated like poo poo?

also what if i told you... that society... could be changed

Maximum Pepsi
Jul 30, 2022

by vyelkin

OwlFancier posted:

If you don't want people to think you're a tory you could always change your mind about the things you say that make people think you are one.

mh I really loving try you know, but all the travellers i've know have been cunts. They have trated the land the council gave them like poo poo. I cannot remember if it was you or someone else who got me to think about 'them' in a different way. Like if it was the loving jews or black ppl, would I be the same.

I hope not

but I have seen how travellers have abused what they have been gifted.

all of my iteractions with them, my only interactions, have been negative.
can you understand how/why I feel like i feel.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Dabir posted:

Travellers aren't the only people who move around a lot and need to figure out education for their kids, anyway. My dad, whitest and most ethnically British Lib Dem voter in history, was moving around from school to school all the time as a lad because of my granddad's work. All over the North and Midlands. He seems to have come out of it ok.

Yep. I went to 7 schools, friends went to very many more.

Dad had a period of a few years as a 'civilian attached to the military' so ended up in army brat schools, other friends had military parents and could be in a couple of different schools a year. Some of us coped quite well with the academic side (new school, new syllabus, different exam board, different stuff to learn), others not so much. Some coped well with having to integrate into new groups each time, I didn't particularly - takes me ages to make new friends and I'd just about find my feet and the folks would be on the move again. Spent a lot of my teens being quite lonely. On the other hand I picked up some good learning points about breaking in to pre-existing cliques and groups!

Back to the topic in hand:

Anyway, after reading the last few pages of this thread, I looked up educational provision for traveller children in Wales (seeing as this is where I live) and it all seems a bit vague "required by statute" etc type statements. Seems to have been a flurry of consultations etc including direct engagement with GRT communities in the 2015-2020 era but not a lot since (obviously covid knocked out 3 years of 'door knocking' which seems to have been the best method of gaining engagement). Everything is in PDF files, not a simple statement on a website anywhere (not that I found with a bit of a google anyway).

No references for this but I think one of the issues is many schools may not so much unwillingness to provide educational services for traveller children, but the enormous financial strains many schools are finding themselves under these days. It's "just something else we're supposed to do but don't have resources for" (that's not a quote from anyone, just what I think many schools might be thinking).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Too many people buy into the headlines about how the police don’t do anything to travellers who break the law as if that’s some wild and crazy gotcha, when the hidden truth is it just looks that way sometimes because they’re the tip of an iceberg where the police don’t do loving anything to a lot of people who break the law most of the time.

They’re too busy doing stop and search on innocent people instead.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OK, look, this has clearly not been made obvious enough

If you're posting apologism for GRT bigotry then gently caress off out of this thread already. Absolutely no value in engaging with this utter dreck.

Maximum Pepsi
Jul 30, 2022

by vyelkin
^^^ forkboy you seem like a decent sort, so I will try to talk to you. If every interaction that you have with someone is bad, how are you going to feel about this person. If it is a specific group, how are you going to feel about that group. The group who show up on your school playing fields. I think it was tesseraction or someone who got me to think about, ok maybe its not the whole group. maybe it was just that person. but if all the behaviour that you see from this 'group' is bad
, how would you feel about this group.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Too many people buy into the headlines about how the police don’t do anything to travellers who break the law as if that’s some wild and crazy gotcha, when the hidden truth is it just looks that way sometimes because they’re the tip of an iceberg where the police don’t do loving anything to a lot of people who break the law most of the time.

They’re too busy doing stop and search on innocent people instead.

no.

this is true

I have watched documentaries like police 999 and everything.

Maximum Pepsi fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 3, 2023

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Jakabite posted:

Well you’re right on that last point. At least you have the bollocks to say ‘I’d take away their kids and lock them up’.

Overlooking the bit where I said they should all be provided houses I see.

Yeah, if you're not providing education for your kids, and put your desires ahead of theirs, you shouldn't have kids.
Same as we do for other families where there's DA and drug use in the home.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maximum Pepsi posted:

mh I really loving try you know, but all the travellers i've know have been cunts. They have trated the land the council gave them like poo poo. I cannot remember if it was you or someone else who got me to think about 'them' in a different way. Like if it was the loving jews or black ppl, would I be the same.

I hope not

but I have seen how travellers have abused what they have been gifted.

all of my iteractions with them, my only interactions, have been negative.
can you understand how/why I feel like i feel.

What do you think everyone else throughout history who went in on denigrating the socially acceptable groups of the time, felt like when they were doing it?

It is very easy from the position we're in now, to imagine that they were just all bad people, like fundamentally bad in their souls and they should have known better. But perhaps they felt much like you do now? Plenty of people have said to you that if you go around being treated like poo poo by society, why are you likely to give a poo poo what happens to that society?

What do you think when people come out with "oh well you know I'm not racist but black people just don't have any respect for society, their neighbourhoods are full of crime and drugs and they're loud and aggressive and they should learn to behave better if they want to be treated like decent people"

Or "well I'm not homophobic but you know gays just don't have proper family values, they're all having disgusting sex in their bath houses which are riddled with disease, you don't want to associate too much with them or god knows what you'll catch"

Like yeah, those ideas have a kernel of truth, minorities are overpoliced and neglected or actively targeted for harrassment by the state, criminalized and exiled and when that antipathy produces devastation within the communities, the hegemony outside just laughs, because obviously they deserve it for being the way they are? Those thoughts take the wrongs of the hegemony and make them the fault of the people who are being wronged.

It is very easy to look at bad things happening in a community and put the blame on that community but history has shown time and time again that it's the fault of the society that will not accept them being the way they are, and demands conformity and tries to enforce it by saying "well that's just how society is, we've got these laws for a reason"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 3, 2023

Maximum Pepsi
Jul 30, 2022

by vyelkin

OwlFancier posted:

What do you think everyone else throughout history who went in on denigrating the socially acceptable groups of the time, felt like when they were doing it?

It is very easy from the position we're in now, to imagine that they were just all bad people, like fundamentally bad in their souls and they should have known better. But perhaps they felt much like you do now? Plenty of people have said to you that if you go around being treated like poo poo by society, why are you likely to give a poo poo what happens to that society?

What do you think when people come out with "oh well you know I'm not racist but black people just don't have any respect for society, their neighbourhoods are full of crime and drugs and they're loud and aggressive and they should learn to behave better if they want to be treated like decent people"

Or "well I'm not homophobic but you know gays just don't have proper family values, they're all having disgusting sex in their bath houses which are riddled with disease, you don't want to associate too much with them or god knows what you'll catch"

Like yeah, those ideas have a kernel of truth, minorities are overpoliced and neglected or actively targeted for harrassment by the state, criminalized and exiled and when that antipathy produces devastation within the communities, the hegemony outside just laughs, because obviously they deserve it for being the way they are? Those thoughts take the wrongs of the hegemony and make them the fault of the people who are being wronged.

It is very easy to look at bad things happening in a community and put the blame on that community but history has shown time and time again that it's the fault of the society that will not accept them being the way they are, and demands conformity and tries to enforce it by saying "well that's just how society is, we've got these laws for a reason"

See now i am learning a lesson. this is how you teach people. this is how you convert people. I do still 'otherise' travellers, but I have learned that I should not.

That loving racist tree just dropped an apple.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I haven't told you anything anyone else hasn't been saying. Plenty of other people have pointed out the similarity between what you're saying and things they've experienced.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

DreddyMatt posted:

Overlooking the bit where I said they should all be provided houses I see.

Yeah, if you're not providing education for your kids, and put your desires ahead of theirs, you shouldn't have kids.
Same as we do for other families where there's DA and drug use in the home.

Yes I’m certain that being ripped away from their families by force is what will help the little nippers you care so much about to have a better life. The state abducting the kids of marginalised groups has, historically, been surprising beneficial to the kids! Who knew!

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Failed Imagineer posted:

you mean my post about the literal definition of the word assimilation?

honestly fella these brain worms as just as bad as the hard rights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Maximum Pepsi posted:

Do you genuinely not see why this attitude is a problem? Get help.