Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

The whole "We can't afford to feed kids and it's wrong to anyway" doesn't even work in terms of an appeal to selfishness. At any one time, there's a cohort of pensioners, a cohort of working age people and a cohort of children. In time, the current working age group becomes the pensioners and the children move up to being wage earners. That being the case, it is absolutely, 100% in the direct personal interest of every adult that the next generation of children is as happy and healthy and well-fed and well-educated as possible, 'cos these are the people who in due course will be paying your pensions and providing your old age services. Giving them deprived, lovely childhoods isn't just spiteful behaviour, it is directly harming your own future prospects and quality of life in later years.

And thusly I demonstrate that this attitude is the most British thing possible.

The what? "Future"? There is only the perfect Now, embodied in quarterly bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

feed children? gently caress off, that money needs to go to increasing the value of my house on paper

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

gonadic io posted:

Actually I think you'll find that poor kids only get lovely jobs so barely contribute to the economy, probably on the dole anyway. Only investment bankers and programmers' kids should be fed.

"You don't need to know about art or history in order to stack shelves, or serve coffee. Complete waste of money teaching it in the first place!"

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
british chess: a vibrant daring ancient classic magna carta game for the digital brexit millennium, with all-new rankings and leaderboards because foreigners playing games with "en passant" don't count

we're number one strong britain great nation babey no our albionese grandmasters will not play you

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
UNDEFEATED

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
anyway tell liz to get her day collar back on and kick rishi out, she's got a king to kill

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

an extra 4x4 board you attach to the side with a bit of string to put a few of the black opponents pawns before the game starts

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The Boris Opening
- Pawns keep spawning around the board, no one knows who owns them but the king looks sweatily suspicious

The Starmer Opening
- Whatever move is made, it is reversed two moves later.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Venomous posted:

tbh I think that number is dwindling, and the election next year will have incredibly low turnout as more people realise just how ghoulish both Starmer and Sunak are

that, or everyone will turn out for the #LibDemFightBack that is definitely happening under Orange Booker Shithead Ed Davey

I forgot, what is the origin of the cartoon your av is from?

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 12:45 on Aug 3, 2023

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

happyhippy posted:

The Boris Opening

Don't do that, the custard will fall out

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Pistol_Pete posted:

The whole "We can't afford to feed kids and it's wrong to anyway" doesn't even work in terms of an appeal to selfishness. At any one time, there's a cohort of pensioners, a cohort of working age people and a cohort of children. In time, the current working age group becomes the pensioners and the children move up to being wage earners. That being the case, it is absolutely, 100% in the direct personal interest of every adult that the next generation of children is as happy and healthy and well-fed and well-educated as possible, 'cos these are the people who in due course will be paying your pensions and providing your old age services. Giving them deprived, lovely childhoods isn't just spiteful behaviour, it is directly harming your own future prospects and quality of life in later years.

And thusly I demonstrate that this attitude is the most British thing possible.

imagine three demographics on the edge of a cliff. Britain works the same way

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Shogi posted:

imagine three demographics on the edge of a cliff. Britain works the same way
Us, Them, and our Rightful Rulers

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

OK but seriously, why was this a police matter? Why did they seize all the chocolate?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Gripweed posted:

OK but seriously, why was this a police matter? Why did they seize all the chocolate?

it might be used to feed children?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Gripweed posted:

They're obviously planning to supply weed suppliers?

Those are "not to be sold separately" products they were selling separately?

gently caress knows. Congratulations on making London streets safer, constables.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
what's the charge? eating a meal? a succulent chocolate meal?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
They're part of a rival child trafficking ring.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

what's the charge? eating a meal? a succulent chocolate meal?

I see you know your judo well.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

get your hands off my snickers!

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
You stand accused of both having a cat and pursuing a hobby while ranked Social Grade D, citizen, how do you plead?

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1686760961657520128

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

I forgot, what is the origin of the cartoon your av is from?

There was a Scottish Leader's Debate on the telly before one of the Holyrood elections, 2016. And a political cartoonist did a bunch of cartoons of the various leaders during the debate & they ended up as avatars for several people. Like Willie Rennie of the Lib Dems going down a slide. Well, Venomous's is of Kezia Dugdale, the then Labour leader.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

minimum wage workers should not be able to commute to work. ok

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

euphronius posted:

minimum wage workers should not be able to commute to work. ok

When I were a lad I used to walk to and from work* so they can do the same

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Bryter posted:

You stand accused of both having a cat and pursuing a hobby while ranked Social Grade D, citizen, how do you plead?

i wonder how much they think "wealthy" or "average" people earn

also lmao at the idea that 50% of people think that people on minimum wage should be able to buy a house, i mean a) yes but b) when was the last time that that was possible, if ever

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Bryter posted:

Unemployed people shouldn't have access to phones or laptops, says people who haven't applied for a job in the past decade.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Unemployed people shouldn't have access to phones or laptops, says people who haven't applied for a job in the past decade.

These people are wretched morons.

And by these people I mean the British

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

there's an anecdote in Ed Balls' memoir, which I do not recommend, about how when he was at the Treasury he had to correct Blair who thought the average household income was £60k (in 2002) lol

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

also lmao at the idea that 50% of people think that people on minimum wage should be able to buy a house, i mean a) yes but b) when was the last time that that was possible, if ever

by my calculations this might have been possible for about 3 people living in the north for about 3 months in 1999 who were lucky enough to have a 10% deposit. lmao

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Bryter posted:

there's an anecdote in Ed Balls' memoir, which I do not recommend, about how when he was at the Treasury he had to correct Blair who thought the average household income was £60k (in 2002) lol
look, the man was a visionary and saw 20 years ahead.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Bryter posted:

hahaha holy poo poo

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I am more worried about the 24% of people who believe that basic utilities should be out of reach. Maybe they want the return to serfdom.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Bryter posted:

demon nation

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Starbucks posted:

I am more worried about the 24% of people who believe that basic utilities should be out of reach. Maybe they want the return to serfdom.

i want all the people who i don’t like dead and nobody wants to work anymore

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

look, the man was a visionary and saw 20 years ahead.

lmao no, it's not anywhere near 60k even now

ons.gov.uk posted:

Median household disposable income in the UK was £32,300 in the financial year ending (FYE) 2022, a decrease of 0.6% from FYE 2021, based on estimates from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) Household Finances Survey.

e: by disposable they mean "after tax", the number for gross income is around £40k

quote:

In FYE 2020, the mean household income increased by 1.6% to reach £37,100.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 15:48 on Aug 3, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what's up with inflation in the UK? it was worse than the US last year during the truss crisis but the interest rate hikes are still lagging behind the US and inflation is still super high. i would figure the city of london types would be going apoplectic clamboring for lower inflation, but would this mean too much of a middle-class disaster since everyone is on a variable mortgage?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Bryter posted:

Good to have solid numbers on how much of the British population needs to be done away with

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Theatre shows with a professional cast? gently caress you. School plays only

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Bryter posted:

what a cuntry

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Private Speech posted:

lmao no, it's not anywhere near 60k even now

e: by disposable they mean "after tax", the number for gross income is around £40k
Looking it up again, the stats appear to be all over the place, and most everyone appears to be using mean values rather than average. And being pretty careless about using the term average when they actually mean median. It's entirely possible for the median to be £40k and the average to be £60k, if you have a bunch of bankers pulling the average up with insane incomes. Like, the stats I found had a median of £33k, and an average of £63k, because the top 10% made more than twice as much as the next 10%, who themselves made 3x the median.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

90s Cringe Rock posted:

"en passant" is foreign muck

more like en peasant