Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Christopher Landon (director of the Happy Death Day series and Freaky) has been confirmed as the director of Scream VII. I'm kinda into the pick, honestly. The guy clearly loves classic slashers.

They might have found something to make me care about Scream, at least a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Christopher Landon (director of the Happy Death Day series and Freaky) has been confirmed as the director of Scream VII. I'm kinda into the pick, honestly. The guy clearly loves classic slashers.

Halfway through the film, Ghostface and Sydney switch bodies, and now "Sydney" is the one going around killing her friends and promises to kill herself at midnight.

At no point does Sydney-in-Ghostface's-body remove the mask.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Shrecknet posted:

DAGON has an all-time of a degloving scene, so, y'know be aware.

what are ya'lls favorite deglovings?

I am not the biggest fan of Bones and All, but that opening sequence was absolutely phenomenal.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought Bones and All was one if the best horror movies last year.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, I loved Bones And All a lot, one of the big surprises of last year.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i was a fun of Sully in Bones and All, i'm Team Sully, everyone who saw that movie is Sully pilled now

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I loved the last two Screams and and I loved the Happy Death Days and Freaky. I'm excited for the most part

The catch, keeping that from being "completely excited", is supposedly the reason Radio Silence aren't back directing this too is because they're busy doing a Universal monster film starring Melissa Barrera

If they're going to be too busy for this with that,
a) it makes me think so will Melissa, so that's one star from the last two films that's questionable
b) Jenna Ortega is even busier than all of them, so that's another
c) the rest of that main cast from those last two films, to put it mildly, doesn't interest me as much as Melissa and Jenna
d) obviously there's still the Neve Campbell situation

I know how hesitant people felt about each of 4, 5, and 6; I wasn't for any of them. I'm not for this. But I hope Landon knows what he's doing with this particular one as much as his recent track record has made me sure the result will be something I dig, because there's a lot of help this cast is gonna need if even two of those are out of the question

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the Gerald's Game degloving is something I didn't know Flanagan was capable of producing

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Class3KillStorm posted:

Halfway through the film, Ghostface and Sydney switch bodies, and now "Sydney" is the one going around killing her friends and promises to kill herself at midnight.

At no point does Sydney-in-Ghostface's-body remove the mask.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Found got into a dope local film fest that I appreciate so that should be fun! It’s in September and 20 mins down the street lmao

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I actually like the Scream movies from best to worst in the order they came out. I honestly really enjoy the first 4, have seen 5 three times and it keeps growing on me but 6 was downright awful. This director choice is def good news for 7 but let’s be honest with ourselves, it’s not like I’m ever gonna not watch a Scream movie no matter what.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I always liked the pitch black humor and sometimes not so pitch black humor of the Scream movies. I thought the last one was just too loving serious. It was still good though.

edit:

The Borderlands / Final Prayer was good but I kind of felt the ending fell a little flat. It was good overall though.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 3, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Maggie Gyllenhaal directing a Bride of Frankenstein remake on Netflix starring Christian Bale and Peter Sarsgaard https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2023/8/2/zb8o7wwlosvu6k8ei16eb0e49ity88

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/thevscooper/status/1686874522207608832?s=46&t=wbUf_u7uOvtvxKOmB6dAHQ

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m optimistic

Get back Englund for one last ride

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

This is the first time I've seen the term 'requel' and googling it is not making it super clear what it gets used for. Like, a sequel set in the same universe, but with a new cast, but some of the old characters can still appear?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

davidspackage posted:

This is the first time I've seen the term 'requel' and googling it is not making it super clear what it gets used for. Like, a sequel set in the same universe, but with a new cast, but some of the old characters can still appear?

I think they mean one of those sequels that only is a sequel to the first film in a series

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Making up random words for oddly specific poo poo to stave off the boredom of just rewording press releases all day is 90% of entertainment journalism.

It's how basically every musical subgenre got its name.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Wow, lot of people who haven't watch the latest Scream movies here

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I haven't watched any since 3 (which I think I rented from the video store when it was new) because I thought 3 was bad.

I might have to revisit the series for a October challenge or something.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

I haven't watched any since 3 (which I think I rented from the video store when it was new) because I thought 3 was bad.

3 is generally considered the worst one (Parker Posey is great in it though). 4 is a bit of a return to form and it was also Wes Craven’s final film, it’s worth giving it a shot for that alone.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

3 is the worst Scream, but honestly none of them really top the first two

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

davidspackage posted:

Reboot sequel

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Reboot sequel. Think the recent Scream films, the recent Halloweens, the upcoming Exorcists. Even outside of horror, like the Creed films, Mad Max Fury Road I guess would count. Acknowledging the past while moving forward with the future, instead of just outright trying to remake something and get rid of all of the canon

Whether or not you like it (for the record I love all the films I've mentioned except for the Creed series which I haven't seen yet), for Nightmare particularly I think it's most understandable to go this approach. The remake already proved that for better or worse you can't just act like Englund's Freddy never happened, and you certainly can't try to outdo him by being more dark. He's that character

The new Hellraiser benefited from many things for me, the biggest has to be going a different route with a Pinhead than just trying to make another guy act like a more mean Doug Bradley. If they try something like that here, or if they go the route of Scream 6 or Halloween Ends, this is gonna be another thing I absolutely love :hellyeah: :woop:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ1Vbh7aJPQ

the Snakes on a Plane of horror?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Ignoring noes 2 and 3 for their requel is a mistake.

This looks like a fake movie, I expected it to end as an old spice commercial.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I’ll watch but also I’m mostly impressed it’s taken this long for a sloth to become a slasher villain. We even got zombie beavers almost a decade before them

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It might not ignore anything. It’s just rebooting the series but also it’s a sequel. Honestly their best bet is if they don’t want to follow the directions of the later movies…don’t reference them in any way or contradict them

Tell a cool Freddy story with hopefully Englund and some new kids, recap the general idea and move forward

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Canon isn’t real but I do get annoyed when filmmakers play that “oh I didn’t like x movie so gently caress em they never happened”

Like Rodriguez tried to say predator 2 never happened and you watch Predators and you’re like why even try to play that? Nothin in the movie contradicts it lol.

I don’t like the predator, but really appreciated shane black hard referencing Predator 2 and AvP. Even though maybe that was due to ADI doing the effects again and they had that lying around…but still!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Just starting this, opening on a The Jaunt reference is :discourse:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Canon isn’t real but I do get annoyed when filmmakers play that “oh I didn’t like x movie so gently caress em they never happened”

I do kind of respect Ridley Scott's massive cojones to straight up ignore Cameron's movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

In alien he already had egg morphing so it’s not like not having a queen was a new concept.

And in the epilogue on the blu ray David is turning Shaw into “his queen”.

I mean it’s all bullshit but idk he just was playing with unique xeno concepts which is fine imO

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

oh yeah, no irony from me, I am fully onboard for Ridlers xeno excursions

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

FreudianSlippers posted:

I enjoyed 4 way more than I thought I would, hated 5, and thought 6 was a fun slasher.

The first one is still the best, but my last rewatch totally shuffled my opinion of the rest. I'm now 1>4>6>3>2>5

3 is incredibly dumb but kind of charming for that reason and Parker Posey completely steals the show.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Ignoring noes 2 and 3 for their requel is a mistake.

Yea that's where NOES is a bit different for me. It's not like Halloween where the first film is just unquestionably the best, and Dream Warriors in particular was a great way to bring back Nancy and give her a proper send-off. So if you do the Halloween 2018 thing where you just act like Dream Warriors never happened and Nancy never became a doctor and all that stuff from Dream Warriors never happened, that to me would be a huge mistake.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

They should make a new Nightmare that's a sequel to New Nightmare in a post-Craven world instead of, like, bringing back Nancy and saying #3 didn't happen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nancy already came back to fight Freddy twice and imo they were satisfying both times. She doesn’t need to come back.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don’t know that I feel a need or desire for a Elm Street requel but I do think New Nightmare and the rest of the franchise sets a decent enough idea that Freddy is an idea born to life through fear and belief that you can run with that for your reboot sequel. Whether that’s acknowledging the meta movie within a movie stuff of New Nightmare or just playing on the basic ideas to explain a new Freddy who is spiritually the old Freddy. In that regard a bit more like Candyman than Halloween or Scream.

I would not object to Nancy/Heather returning but I don’t know how to deal with that without making it too weird. I dunno. But if you’re gonna go that way with “legacy characters” I definitely say bring back Patricia Arquette.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 3, 2023

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I've said it before but just use the Peter Jackson script, it's perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arquette’s character is dead after she turned into Tuesday knight