Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

It's not unavoidable at all. They can agree to solidarity over key issues important to both guilds. No rule or law says they can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ashpanash posted:

Because that's exactly what it is. He's not being subtle about it. And he shouldn't be. Damage control is exactly what he needed to do.

Look, people make mistakes. It's gonna happen. He got a talking to, for sure. Now he needs to shut up and support the strike. As long as he can do that, he'll be fine.

And then he stepped on his own dick again

https://twitter.com/sagesurge/status/1686461609462444032?t=cqAK4xIJ15vyh2ROFH5Smw&s=19

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Turn in your SAG card already dude

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zesty posted:

This would come into play in being hired for future projects, right? Is he just tanking his career here?
Pretty sure they're blacklisting scabs, so he's fuckin' done. That's the end of his career in union productions.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

Pretty sure they're blacklisting scabs, so he's fuckin' done. That's the end of his career in union productions.

Honestly with the way he’s acting he’s heading for a Sorbonian career

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha, well Heels is surely not getting another season now. What a stupid jerk.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

teen witch posted:

Honestly with the way he’s acting he’s heading for a Sorbonian career

I can easily see Amell either turning chud or revealing himself to be a chud politically as a part of this whole process, yes.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

muscles like this! posted:

Theater chains are probably looking to get bought out by a studio since the laws against that are no more.
Disney never signed the consent decree.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Remulak posted:

Disney never signed the consent decree.

In 1948, when the Paramount consent decrees were handed down, Disney didn't distribute their own movies. Buena Vista (Disney's distribution arm) didn't exist until 1953, and RKO Pictures still handled the bulk of Disney's distribution until 1956. So Disney never had a reason to be a signatory.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Timby posted:

In 1948, when the Paramount consent decrees were handed down, Disney didn't distribute their own movies. Buena Vista (Disney's distribution arm) didn't exist until 1953, and RKO Pictures still handled the bulk of Disney's distribution until 1956. So Disney never had a reason to be a signatory.
Yeah, so there's not even a legally questionable reason for Disney not to (for example) buy up Regal then replace half the screens with birthday rooms.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight
Looks like The Rock got the ball rolling and now others have jumped in. Over $15 million so far.

Anyone know if this helps the WGA too? Or maybe separate donations to that union?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/02/business/media/clooney-streep-actors-strike-donations.html

Edit: paywall bypass https://archive.li/gpOEX

Aragosta fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 2, 2023

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I don't know if it's been brought up in this thread, but unrelated to the current strikes, IATSE (stagehands) narrowly avoided a strike last week. It got to the point where the producers of touring shows (at a certain tier of contracts, namely Disney, to the point that colloquially they are referred to as the Disney Tier), had refused to revisit the bargaining table.

A vote was called among all touring card holders to authorize the president to call a strike. I have never seen such a high voter turnout, on anything, and such a large percentage of the membership all vote the same way.

Negotiations resumed before they had finished counting votes. A deal has been reached there atleast for now.

Edit: For clarification, this was specifically about touring theatrical productions like musicals and plays. However IATSE is also the labor provider for pretty much all the behind the scenes labor across the US and Canada, up to and including Hollywood. Any TV show or movie you watch will usually have the IA bug at the end. There was momentum to call for a general strike which would have been a full work stoppage.

Ironhead fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 2, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

'didn't vote yes'

So he loving abstained

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Oliver Queen would never cross a picket line.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

bunnyofdoom posted:

And then he stepped on his own dick again

He really should just leave social media to his publicist or whoever wrote "his" post.

Chuds seem incapable of reading the loving room.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gaz-L posted:

'didn't vote yes'

So he loving abstained

A lot of people abstained. While SAG-AFTRA likes to trumpet that the strike authorization vote was 97 percent in favor, only 47.6 percent of membership actually voted.

But, yes, Amell is a dick.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Aragosta posted:

Looks like The Rock got the ball rolling and now others have jumped in. Over $15 million so far.

Anyone know if this helps the WGA too? Or maybe separate donations to that union?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/02/business/media/clooney-streep-actors-strike-donations.html

Edit: paywall bypass https://archive.li/gpOEX

I uh, really hope these people are also donating to the Writers, too. I'm super happy to hear this for SAG but I also hope the same love is shown to the WGA fund as well. Last I heard they were hurting for donations

C'mon Stephen King, we know you can personally bankroll this strike for years.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Someone tell Lindelof if he donates a cool 5 mil no one will ever mention Lost in front of him again

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Happy Landfill posted:

I uh, really hope these people are also donating to the Writers, too. I'm super happy to hear this for SAG but I also hope the same love is shown to the WGA fund as well. Last I heard they were hurting for donations

Seth MacFarlane recently donated $1 million to the Entertainment Community Fund which is more for everyone affected by the shutdown and not just actors.

Also Mr Beast has decided to promote the new animated TMNT movie on social media due to having a part in it. Although I imagine he's not going to be invited back for any more movie cameos any time soon.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

sure okay posted:

Someone tell Lindelof if he donates a cool 5 mil no one will ever mention Lost in front of him again

No deal

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Also Mr Beast has decided to promote the new animated TMNT movie on social media due to having a part in it. Although I imagine he's not going to be invited back for any more movie cameos any time soon.

I somehow doubt Mr Beast is a card carrying SAG member

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Happy Landfill posted:

Yeah IATSE is also in the weeds. If they aren't shooting, we aren't working. We have a "Strike Fund" that is rapidly being depleted. Even though we didn't strike, the guys aren't working, and we don't have big name stagehands to start funds for us.

There are a lot of secondary and tertiary people also being affected by what's going on.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Timby posted:

A lot of people abstained. While SAG-AFTRA likes to trumpet that the strike authorization vote was 97 percent in favor, only 47.6 percent of membership actually voted.

But, yes, Amell is a dick.

Oh I know, but I just find it rich that he didn't even care enough to vote against it but now it inconveniences him he's vocal about opposing it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’m more convinced by the day that Zaslav doesn’t know how business works

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1687079442579939328?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Oh and this probably also backs that up as well

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1687059344494411776?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 3, 2023

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Losing 1.8 million subs is good, right? There were 4 million people who were subscribed to both HBO Max and Discovery+. When you merge the two services, you start out 4 million in the hole, so if they lost only 1.8 million that means they gained 2.2 million new people elsewhere.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Losing 1.8 million subs is good, right? There were 4 million people who were subscribed to both HBO Max and Discovery+. When you merge the two services, you start out 4 million in the hole, so if they lost only 1.8 million that means they gained 2.2 million new people elsewhere.

Get this person into a Hollywood accounting office, STAT!

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Sure they didn't pay out 100 million in salary but it cost them a few billion in lost product.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 3, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Darth Brooks posted:

Sure they didn't pay out 100 million in salary but it cost them a few billion in lost product.

David Zaslav has had an erection for weeks now thinking of all the "tax write offs" the strike is producing for him.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

Losing 1.8 million subs is good, right?

It's very good apparently!

edit: its dropped since then, but yes the stock market sucks

DarkLich fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 3, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...I loving hate the stock market

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah, they expected to lose subscribers this quarter for this reason and said so already.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Brilliant idea to tie our economy to the habits of sociopathic gamblers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

According to Beast comma Mister, this was something he got that contract for being an influencer and thus has an exception or somesuch. I'm not even saying he's lying or anything, it's just out of my wheelhouse to explain.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

koolkal posted:

Yeah, they expected to lose subscribers this quarter for this reason and said so already.

Oh, right, now I get it.

But didn't they keep Discovery + around? So surely there's at least some people subscribing to JUST that?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

According to Beast comma Mister, this was something he got that contract for being an influencer and thus has an exception or somesuch. I'm not even saying he's lying or anything, it's just out of my wheelhouse to explain.

I mean a young, suddenly-rich e-famous douchebazooka not understanding what rules or consequences are is hardly an original story these days.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I imagine there is a 'cameo from famous person who is not normally an actor thus has no union card' contract used for stuff like this.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/JamesUrbaniak/status/1687159110515724288

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don’t know how much it may end up being enforced, but there are apparently SAG guidelines for people who cover media like influencers, and the union in those guidelines says that any people who cover struck shows may be denied future SAG membership

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, right, now I get it.

But didn't they keep Discovery + around? So surely there's at least some people subscribing to JUST that?

Yeah, essentially people that had both HBO Max and Discovery+ can drop their Discovery+ since most (but not all for some reason lmao) of the content has been added to the new combined Max. People that only had Discovery+ can just continue with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t know how much it may end up being enforced, but there are apparently SAG guidelines for people who cover media like influencers, and the union in those guidelines says that any people who cover struck shows may be denied future SAG membership

good, gently caress mr beast