Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Remember, in the very beginning of Zero when the SSS storm the Sun Fort to confront Joachim they didn't have Estelle or Joshua with them like they do at the end of the game, before Lloyd wakes up on the train to Crossbell. I suppose it does raise some questions about how the SSS even met KeA in the original timeline if they didn't help Renne and didn't receive an invite to the Schwarze Auction via her though.

I did remember that detail during that scene in Azure, but also I'm not sure I can really ascribe any deeper intent to it because CS3 does the exact same thing with its in media res opening where it cuts out Angelica's presence in that scene.

e: Actually, I forgot that they explicitly call attention to the Lloyd dream in Zero when they're explaining it in Azure, so I guess it probably was intentional

Arist fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Arist posted:

I did remember that detail during that scene in Azure, but also I'm not sure I can really ascribe any deeper intent to it because CS3 does the exact same thing with its in media res opening where it cuts out Angelica's presence in that scene.

CS1 does the same, and in both cases it's just them lazily cashing in on that twist without it actually being true.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tesseraction posted:

CS1 does the same, and in both cases it's just them lazily cashing in on that twist without it actually being true.

The opening of CS1 is so dumb in hindsight. I'm not really one for in media res openings in general, but they cut off right before the reveal that the cannon was firing a blank, which is honestly hilarious given the dozens of hours of buildup.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Arist posted:

The opening of CS1 is so dumb in hindsight. I'm not really one for in media res openings in general, but they cut off right before the reveal that the cannon was firing a blank, which is honestly hilarious given the dozens of hours of buildup.

Well, more specifically it's theorised that the in media res opening actually does fire and kill the conference, but KeA uses her powers again to make it so the first round is a test shot, but why this would also make Crow and Millium be there who knows, but for people who went from Azure to CS1 this is a possible shift, whereas of course CS1-4 were released in the west first so few of us had that context to consider.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Arist posted:

Its particularly dumb because according to Azure, the guns were never fired. It never gets mentioned, and you can bet that someone at Bellguard would have mentioned something like "It was terrifying seeing those guns come out and then fire. Thankfully they were only blanks, but what the hell happened?"

I wouldn't put much credence in the theory about CS 1's opening. CS 3 does the same thing of hiding future party members and there's no time shennanigan excuse in that game.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh that's why I say it's lazy and banking on people remembering Azure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

This kinda applies to like 90+% of all fights between named major-ish characters, though. They just bash their weapons against each other until one or both sides gets tuckered out.

Wait, really? I never got the impression that was anything other than a familial sibling thing. I haven't played most of Reverie, so maybe it happens there?

In Reverie Millium does things like tell Jusis "just wait until you see how big my boobs are when I grow up!"

MythosDragon posted:

Why is Hulk Jumping everyone's preferred method of travel in Reverie?

Because it owns?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 3, 2023

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

MythosDragon posted:

Act 2, Lloyd was blocked off first, Rean was blocked off next, did first reverie, finished Lloyd, Started C, progressed till C and Rean engage in conflict.... realized I was never given an option to equip them, reset, realized I could not enter Reverie and the rest of my post. I managed to finagle as much of a team together as I could after stripping Lloyd's team of accessories and quartz using the < menu. Really lucky that I didnt strip them of their master quartz cuz I like keeping everyones canon ones on them....

You can press the button that brings up the "pick characters for your party" menu, press the button that switches over to your reverie team, and equip weapons, armor, accessories, Master Quartz and Quartz from there. (On a controller, it's press left d-pad, press left or right trigger, and then I think Y, using the bumpers to switch between the Equip and Quartz screens.) Even when you can't access the Reverie Corridor or a team itself, that party menu is always available.

Congrats on getting out of it anyway, I guess? :v:

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

CS 3 does the same thing of hiding future party members and there's no time shennanigan excuse in that game.

I wouldn't be so sure, given CS4's ending. Or rather, the forced alternate bad end that you have to hit.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Wait do you legitimately think that Shirley is going to get a redemption arc?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei posted:

I genuinely and unironically believe that at some point everyone in Oroborus is going to end up on the good guy side except for 1-2 token shitheads, yes.

I mean poo poo Reverie Spoilers Rufus is walking around free and clear without even having to be in prison now and his murder of the best character in the organization is mostly just an excuse for a comedy joke about how he keeps kicking her grieving knight's rear end.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Junpei posted:

She kind of already did? She's treated way more sympathetically in Cold Steel once she gets her pet dog prince friend. "Look, she cares about something other than violence now!"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Her appearance in CS4, if nothing else, is kind of indisputably softer than it was in Azure, if only by virtue that she spends most of that game with Cedric who spends pretty much the entire game overcompensating by leaning into being a complete shitheel. Because of this she ends up, weirdly enough, being often the more rational of the pair, whereas in Azure she maims civilians for fun.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean she's still a bloodthirsty psychopath with a murder boner.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei posted:

I mean she's still a bloodthirsty psychopath with a murder boner.

There are at least 5 different characters I can think of on the good guy side who are absolutely AOK with various degrees of torture or killing. All you need to do is attach a cute animal, sad boy, or young girl to their side like a Ride Along and they instantly can become a hero side character.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Shirley is already on most of her way through a redemption arc and Falcom won’t have her do anything that would actually derail that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Shirley also sexually assaults Duvalie basically first scene she appears in the Cold Steel series, lest anyone forget.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Shirley also sexually assaults Duvalie basically first scene she appears in the Cold Steel series, lest anyone forget.

Yes but Trails considers that a charming character trait.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Most of the major sexual harassment does seem to come from the Crossbell crew now I think about it, particularly that Hueyue brat, Mariabell and Shirley. And Randy. Especially Randy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Most of the major sexual harassment does seem to come from the Crossbell crew now I think about it, particularly that Hueyue brat, Mariabell and Shirley.

Angelica is right there! Though to be fair she mostly is just extremely aggressive and has to be told to stay away from underage girls, I don't think she gets handsy

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The most she does is hug Class VII's girls at the end of CS1's rock performance. And Crow does imply that her wiles have a large number of consenting women in her wake.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

does angelica ever actually creep on underage girls. i think she calls juna and altina cute in cs3 but i dont remember her being like, actually aggro at them. i may be misremembering.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

She does become a bit manic when she encounters Tita but that leads up to one of the funniest gags at her expense when Tita mentions that George mentioned her a lot.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The "look, a beautiful naked woman standing behind you" bit that gets her to completely 180 is also pretty great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

does angelica ever actually creep on underage girls. i think she calls juna and altina cute in cs3 but i dont remember her being like, actually aggro at them. i may be misremembering.

She does on several occasions. There's actually a Daydream scene in Reverie (the 4 friends reunite scene) where the others tell her to cut it out when she's visiting the school. She's also super weird around Tita.

She's not the worst ever but she'd be so much cooler if she just kept it to people her own age.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 3, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Junpei posted:

The "look, a beautiful naked woman standing behind you" bit that gets her to completely 180 is also pretty great.

What I love about it is that in order to reign her in Rean ends up looking to Sara like he fell for it too.

That said I do nooot like how that chase ends.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She’s Olivier but again, and younger.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Einander posted:

You can press the button that brings up the "pick characters for your party" menu, press the button that switches over to your reverie team, and equip weapons, armor, accessories, Master Quartz and Quartz from there. (On a controller, it's press left d-pad, press left or right trigger, and then I think Y, using the bumpers to switch between the Equip and Quartz screens.) Even when you can't access the Reverie Corridor or a team itself, that party menu is always available.

No, that doesn't actually work properly in that instance, I ran into the same issue. If you're on C's route before the inventories merge and do that you can only equip the other two parties with items from C's inventory and not from their own inventory (which definitely feels like a bug...). And since C's route is pretty limited in what you have available at that point, this is actually pretty rough to recover from.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

No, that doesn't actually work properly in that instance, I ran into the same issue. If you're on C's route before the inventories merge and do that you can only equip the other two parties with items from C's inventory and not from their own inventory (which definitely feels like a bug...). And since C's route is pretty limited in what you have available at that point, this is actually pretty rough to recover from.

Loaded up a save to check and yeah, you're right about that. I suppose I didn't run into it because I did Lloyd before Rean in chapter 2. Huh, that's pretty bad!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

In Reverie Millium does things like tell Jusis "just wait until you see how big my boobs are when I grow up!"

Oh..oh no...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Now now, that's not entirely fair. She actually says boobies, making it feel creepier.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

Its the stupid butterfly theory for CS1, not much we can do to justify CS3 though lmao.

Einander posted:

Specifically mentioned doing that, it only goes from your current inventory. So Team C at that point? has nothing. And if you actually use their stuff it goes permanently to the Reverie Squads till they get access to the Share Ring and vice versa. In theory, I could have looted all the master quartz and left them with nothing.

Tesseraction posted:

Now now, that's not entirely fair. She actually says boobies, making it feel creepier.

Shes been saying this since CS1. I can tell you right now, its just a trait some young women have where they latch onto that as the concept of maturity. I've run into it from real children, even little boys will talk about them without batting an eye before they can even think like that. Not everything has to be talked about as if it's trying to make the player horny.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

do i get reverie on switch or ps5.
the graphics are a bit stronger, so maybe ps5?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Yeah but at least it seems pretty unrequited? He really does seem to view her as a little sister, and I don't recall him saying anything remotely sexual to or about her.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MythosDragon posted:

Shes been saying this since CS1. I can tell you right now, its just a trait some young women have where they latch onto that as the concept of maturity. I've run into it from real children, even little boys will talk about them without batting an eye before they can even think like that. Not everything has to be talked about as if it's trying to make the player horny.

Oh I don't see at as trying to do that, I just thought that if anything it highlighted her own very real immaturity and it just feels out of place being deliberately added by a much older writer. I'm not saying it's a line she wouldn't say, more that it's a line she didn't need to be shown/voiced saying.

GateOfD posted:

do i get reverie on switch or ps5.
the graphics are a bit stronger, so maybe ps5?

The PS5 has much better load times.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Reverie post game: So I've been running around on Nightmare +50 levels to grind up and found a Wedge/Void Spire. After jumping in and getting my rear end kicked by Arianrhod/Vita/Mariabell/Campanella, I realized I hadn't turned the +50 levels off, so they were actually level 234 instead of 184.

Whoops!

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

MythosDragon posted:

Specifically mentioned doing that, it only goes from your current inventory. So Team C at that point? has nothing. And if you actually use their stuff it goes permanently to the Reverie Squads till they get access to the Share Ring and vice versa. In theory, I could have looted all the master quartz and left them with nothing.

Yeah I checked and realized that after someone else clarified. The embarrassing thing is that before the initial post I actually loaded up a file at that point, checked that you had the option and that the buttons worked, and went, "huh, I should get really specific with this, they must be missing a menu option," because I didn't do the one extra button press to check the inventory contents in those menus. :v: I was so close!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I've reached the Coda of Reverie. There seems to be a lot of super-powerful stuff or easier ways to make super-powerful stuff. Is that to make breaking the game easier, or is it because the final boss is difficult enough that you need a lot of super-powerful stuff?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

milliums 18 in reverie and jusis is like, 20/21 and she clearly has a lot of maturity to her when it matters so as far as weird age gap stuff in trails go the millium/jusis stuff doesnt even remotely register

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That can't be correct. Millium was 13 in CS 1 when Jusis was 17/18.