Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I’m optimistic

that makes one of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Probably lol. I loved Halloween 2018 so if they nail one decent elm street movie that’s a win

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Have you got any horror short story recommendations for Grade 7, 12 years olds?

I'm thinking The Jaunt, to start them off with a bang (after editing out that line about dog semen wtf).

Something I don't have to check line by line for obscenity, but will still give them a good spook.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Robert Englund has said multiple times that he was to old to return as Freddy.

Freddy without Englund is pointless unless they do some sort of deep fake or something

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Spermanent Record posted:

I'm thinking The Jaunt, to start them off with a bang (after editing out that line about dog semen wtf).

Something I don't have to check line by line for obscenity, but will still give them a good spook.

Everything Christopher Pike, I devoured that poo poo when I was a kid. Die Softly was a favorite. Bridges the gap from R.L. Stine to King nicely.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

I think Robert Aickman's stories are fantastic. They eerie in a way nightmares are, where everything is kind of off and the protagonist is just trying to deal with it. They aren't gory or sexy but they are written in kind of an aristocratic language that might not be accessible to kids, but I'd say read The Hospice and see if that works for you.

https://xpressenglish.com/our-stories/hospice/

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are there good skinwalker movies? My wife kept herself awake last night watching youtubes about skinwalkers, but I get the sense there's very little out there in terms of movies, as opposed to e.g. windigos or Bigfoot.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Here's the selections for the Midnight programme at TIFF next month:

quote:

MIDNIGHT MADNESS PROGRAMME 2023

AGGRO DR1FT Harmony Korine | USA
North American Premiere

Boy Kills World Moritz Mohr | Germany/South Africa/USA
World Premiere

OPENING FILM
Dicks: The Musical Larry Charles | USA
World Premiere

Hell of a Summer Finn Wolfhard, Billy Bryk | USA/Canada
World Premiere

KILL Nikhil Nagesh Bhat | India
World Premiere

NAGA Meshal Aljaser | Saudi Arabia
World Premiere

CLOSING FILM
Riddle of Fire Weston Razooli | USA
North American Premiere

Sleep Jason Yu | South Korea
North American Premiere

When Evil Lurks Demián Rugna | Argentina
World Premiere

Working Class Goes to Hell Mladen Đorđević | Serbia
World Premiere

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Englund will be back.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

We don’t need another NoES, the 2010 remake said everything that was needed to be said- giant fart noise

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I just want more movies with dream world nonsense. If that means a noes requel so be it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

I just want more movies with dream world nonsense. If that means a noes requel so be it

Unfortunately the dream stuff will probably be all flat looking like the Marvel movies. Not so much the cool physical stuff of old like the goopy stairs.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hey! Shut up!

:smith:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

it's not a new movie but have you seen The Slayer (1983)?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's not a new movie but have you seen The Slayer (1983)?

I have! It's one of the few films to pull off the it was all a dream style ending

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Have it be a New Nightmare-ensue thing where Englund-Freddy is trying to kill Jackie Earle Haley

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Halloween only worked with a "requel" (ugh) because of how messy the movies got after the first one. It loving sucked that TCM tried it with one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and it sucks that they're doing it with Nightmare. Like at least set it after 3 if you must. This is chasing a trend that never had to be a trend. Just make a new loving movie!!! I'm so tired of all this nostalgia baiting poo poo man.

I don't know if Hellraiser counts as one of those but I didn't like it in the slightest except for Jamie Clayton.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
My memory of the new Hellraiser is a big foggy(I wasn't a fan), but I don't think there was really much to connect it to any of the past films? Was there a quick reference to Kirsty or Frank or something that I'm forgetting? Maybe they mentioned Lemarchand?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

My memory of the new Hellraiser is a big foggy(I wasn't a fan), but I don't think there was really much to connect it to any of the past films? Was there a quick reference to Kirsty or Frank or something that I'm forgetting? Maybe they mentioned Lemarchand?

I dont believe so beyond maybe an easter egg that wasnt meant to be a connective tissue thing to the og movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The connection it had was that it was kind of good which is closer to the original 2 then wrenched garbage of 3-all of them

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

The connection it had was that it was kind of good which is closer to the original 2 then wrenched garbage of 3-all of them

it was the fifth-best Hellraiser, tops

Jamie Clayton was great though. would love to have her back in the role.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate every Hellraiser movie past 2. I’ve never been more miserable watching a film series in my life

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I hate every Hellraiser movie past 2. I’ve never been more miserable watching a film series in my life

i mean, that is understandable.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:sickos:

https://twitter.com/FreddyInSpace/status/1687115423375073281?s=20

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Trailer for this came on before Mission Impossible and the crowd was PUMPED.

It also came on after some horrendous Expendables 4 trailer and it was a great contrast between bad schlock and good schlock.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I ain’t seeing that

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

only six reviews, gotta wait for a few more to roll in before I get too excited

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Cowards, make an ANoES requel that ignores every movie but 2. Yes, even the first movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've been a bit surprised by how much staying power The Meg seems to have with a lot of people, like it seems to have established itself as one of those "constantly running on cable, oh it's halfway over let me sit down and catch the second half" type of movies that a lot of us grew up with. When I saw it I figured it would come and go and be pretty much forgotten but it actually seems to have been very popular.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

Easily the worst horror franchise with 5+ entries. Had way more fun watching ROTLD Rave To The Grave and Children of the Corn 666 or whatever.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Easily the worst horror franchise with 5+ entries. Had way more fun watching ROTLD Rave To The Grave and Children of the Corn 666 or whatever.

What about Amityville? Maybe not technically a "franchise" because most of them aren't really affiliated with each other I guess.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Tempted to say it doesn't count. It's like considering every Pinocchio film part of a franchise.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Tempted to say it doesn't count. It's like considering every Pinocchio film part of a franchise.

It's less connected than Pinocchio, because at least they acknowledge that they're roughly adapting the same source material. The connection for the Amityville movies is somewhere between saying all movies about WW2 are related, all movies that take place in New York are related, and Asylum mockbusters being related to the original thing they're ripping off. It's kind of amazing.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm going to see it tomorrow and I'm pumped. Gimme that Good Trash.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Here’s a good one : https://pstdarkness.com/2016/07/14/mr-gaunt-by-john-langan/

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lol rave to the grave. That was surprisingly decent

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's less connected than Pinocchio, because at least they acknowledge that they're roughly adapting the same source material. The connection for the Amityville movies is somewhere between saying all movies about WW2 are related, all movies that take place in New York are related, and Asylum mockbusters being related to the original thing they're ripping off. It's kind of amazing.

Yeah they solely exist because the concept is public domain, yet half the movies barely have any connective tissue to the event, it's weird that some people see it as the ticket to megabucks with a generic haunted house movie.

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol rave to the grave. That was surprisingly decent

As I recall it and its sequel were SyFy Originalz back in the day and it was the better of the two.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yup, the other was rotld: necropolis and was an absolute stinker

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I seem to remember it had a zombie with like a Doom Chaingunner outfit on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The name Amityville is public domain because it's the name of a place and as long as you're making a movie about that place it's reasonable to call it that. It also just happens to have enough cultural cache that people will hear it and immediately think of the thing with the house. So they have to pretend that they're not at all talking about the thing with the house, and instead just talking about some other things with other houses that are also in a place called Amityville, but they do that knowing that absolutely everyone will think of the thing with the house. It's incredible really.

It's like making a series of adventure movies that take place during the Jurassic and calling them like "Jurassic Lark" and "Parked in the Jurassic" and it's just people surviving dinosaurs, and a judge deciding that's totally cool and not at all stealing from Jurassic Park.