Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

smoobles posted:

the apps already work together too because of smart URLs or whatever, I can fulfill a Venmo request from WhatsApp

he's trying to create an everything app when the phone already is the everything app.

It’s kind of breathtaking how stupid he is that he hasn’t realized this and thinks he can bargain Tim Cook down on payments who is literally his competition.

Elon going to need to buy a phone company next. Is blackberry still kicking around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

smoobles posted:

the apps already work together too because of smart URLs or whatever, I can fulfill a Venmo request from WhatsApp

he's trying to create an everything app when the phone already is the everything app.

more importantly, as has been mentioned numerous times in this thread we already have an "everything app" that does what he wants "x" to be. it's called facebook and nobody gives a poo poo because it's a terrible idea for morons

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

armpit_enjoyer posted:

more importantly, as has been mentioned numerous times in this thread we already have an "everything app" that does what he wants "x" to be. it's called facebook and nobody gives a poo poo because it's a terrible idea for morons

for some reason a bunch of big time capitalist geniuses are trying to redo the success of an app that has the official support of the communist party of china and are flabbergasted that it isn't working

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He does not have the skills to play with the telecoms boys. Their lawyers would eat him alive.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

kazil posted:

I'm super excited for how spectacularly this will backfire for Elon

Jim Jordan lmao

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

ryde posted:

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1686940699361792000

in which elon is surprised by inflation.

im so tired of people talking about how much value the dollar has lost over a period of 90 years. Like, yeah, no poo poo inflation exists but its over 90 years, thats a long loving time and there are plenty of ways to counter that inflation. Its not an issue unless you're stuffing cash under a mattress you dumbass.

I wonder why all the intervals are 10 years except for the last one.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

search is down. is this the end of Twitter?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You can't kill that which is already dead.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Data Graham posted:

Do we have a podcasts subforum? There should definitely be one even if just for this and nothing else

It deserves it's own special subforum considering it's the most important work of art since the first cave drawings

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i've accidentally tried to click the "X" on embed tweets to close the window several times. i'm guessing a lot of people have done this. elon is dumb.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Great because what Twitter really needs right now is more financial scam/"stonks"/shitcoin spam.

roffles posted:

It’s kind of breathtaking how stupid he is that he hasn’t realized this and thinks he can bargain Tim Cook down on payments who is literally his competition.
Funny thing with Apple is also Apple has their own first-party payment thing with Apple Cash and it's still basically a non-thing compared to Venmo/Cash App/Zelle but Elon thinks he can make it work by putting it in a shitpost app that nobody even thinks is a messaging app.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 3, 2023

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

cumpantry posted:

the obsession with getting these donors' names out in the public eye while also wielding the collective mass idiocy of a sycophant army is... how would musk say it. Concerning!

No, he's sure that once (((they))) are exposed we'll all understand what he understands

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Buce posted:

i've accidentally tried to click the "X" on embed tweets to close the window several times. i'm guessing a lot of people have done this. elon is dumb.

if you were as smart as elon musk you would not have been fooled, dummy!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I feel like it would've made more sense to buy something like Whatsapp or Telegram. Makes way more sense to incorporate a cash transfer function into a messenger app. Larger userbase, too. But I guess they're technically not social media platforms and Elon wouldn't be able to have thousands of dumbasses falling over to tell him he's a smart boy everyday

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

sticksy posted:

WeChat managed to be the app that allowed people to both start to take advantage of the Internet, smart phones and apps, all together in a relatively convenient package that was encouraged by the Party, which is extremely important to the country and in the culture there.

They have a monopoly in a lot of ways that likely isn’t reproducible in the West, which is why everyone has ridiculed Musk for pursuing it, both because it’s very very difficult to do well and because he has harbored this dumb idea for 20+ years and poo poo has drastically changed since. There’s probably not a tech company out there that I could see/trust to execute on this, with X/Twitter under Musk laughably being at the bottom of the loving list.
The closest parallel to this in the US was America Online, and all of the reasons that's dead are reasons X won't work.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kit Walker posted:

I feel like it would've made more sense to buy something like Whatsapp or Telegram. Makes way more sense to incorporate a cash transfer function into a messenger app. Larger userbase, too. But I guess they're technically not social media platforms

Facebook already owns whatsapp and telegram is some dodgy russian thing?

So really telegram would have been the perfect choice for elon

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Kit Walker posted:

I feel like it would've made more sense to buy something like Whatsapp or Telegram. Makes way more sense to incorporate a cash transfer function into a messenger app. Larger userbase, too. But I guess they're technically not social media platforms and Elon wouldn't be able to have thousands of dumbasses falling over to tell him he's a smart boy everyday

buying and running these platforms is a deeply serious task and elon is a deeply unserious person so he'll never play in this world.

also, how the heck does whatsapp make money?

edit :answered above it's owned by zuck nvm

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't need to make Zuck money, it only needs to not be owned by a competitor.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Kit Walker posted:

buying Twitter was never about making sense

it was about Musk being mad that trans people exist

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

kazil posted:

buying Twitter was never about making sense

it was about Musk being mad that trans people exist

also about wanting to mainstream white supremacy even more than it already is

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Slotducks posted:

also, how the heck does whatsapp make money?
They make money by charging business users to use the API.

It's also probably not expensive to run it.

It does actually make money, to the tune of a few billion dollars a year.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 3, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Messaging apps and how they make money reminds me of that old snl ad for the bank that only makes change.. “how do we make money? Volume”. It’s nonsensical. However they actually make money by harvesting user data and selling it to advertisers.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Buce posted:

more of a side effect than a goal

eravulgaris
Jul 7, 2012

I'm probably really late, but this fucker has his own "parody" account with 674k followers and his bio says he's "on a quest to bang AOC on Mars."?

Am I getting this right?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

kazil posted:

more of a side effect than a goal

He's tweeting about white genocide. How is that not clearly his goal

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

He's tweeting about white genocide. How is that not clearly his goal

It's not why he bought Twitter, really. He was mad his favorite accounts were getting banned for deadnaming

.random
May 7, 2007

Views expressed by some random guy who works at Twitter in no way has anything to do views or goals of Twitter the company

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Buce posted:

He also bought into the lie that social media was rigged against the right-wing and decided to fix it. And in the process confirmed that it was actually rigged in the favor of conservatives...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He needed to release the twitter files for the good of humanity!

Have those stopped yet?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

ryde posted:

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1686940699361792000

in which elon is surprised by inflation.

im so tired of people talking about how much value the dollar has lost over a period of 90 years. Like, yeah, no poo poo inflation exists but its over 90 years, thats a long loving time and there are plenty of ways to counter that inflation. Its not an issue unless you're stuffing cash under a mattress you dumbass.

Fixed for accuracy.

Buying power of 1$ over time

1933: 1$
1943: 1$
1953: 1$
1963: 1$
1973: 1$
1983: 1$
1993: 1$
2003: 1$
2013: 1$
2023: 1$

Seriously though, it's obvious this dude is ranting about inflation, but he gives zero frame of reference to provide any meaning to what the value of a dollar is relative to and provides zero sources.

Conclusion: Elon is joining this rando in going "oh goodness! Inflation! These numbers pulled out of someone's rear end get smaller!"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

goatface posted:

He needed to release the twitter files for the good of humanity!

Have those stopped yet?

Jim Jordan put another one out a couple days ago

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

I guess Jim Jordan also released another one 4 hours ago lol

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Random Stranger posted:

He also bought into the lie that social media was rigged against the right-wing and decided to fix it. And in the process confirmed that it was actually rigged in the favor of conservatives...

My doubt here is v large.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

lol

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
Did he turn the X blue ? It's blue now.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Kit Walker posted:

It's been built into Facebook messenger for years
https://pay.facebook.com/messenger/...est%20or%20Pay.

Musk is betting everything on adding a feature that already exists everywhere else and nobody cares

Oh wow Instead of using Cashapp, Venmo, Messenger, Google Pay, Apple Cash, PayPal or my loving Bank's app I can go on the Nazi shitposting site and send cash. What a revolution!

They don't even try to pretend why their version will be better than anyone else, dumbfuck Musk just acts like he's inventing it

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

No one replied to elon with the futa inflation text ?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

rowkey bilbao posted:

Did he turn the X blue ? It's blue now.

soon it'll become bird shaped. he's a genius.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

So, what is Elon going to do about the X service mark that he doesn't own? Is Zuck going to sell it to him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

armpit_enjoyer posted:

obligatory "lol. lmao"

I wonder how many of those subs were just handed out for free to people that Elon picked. Makes it a bit sadder and funnier that their low numbers are even lower