Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Every time I see a trailer for Disenchantment, it doesn't seem very inspiring. It doesn't seem to be commentating on much that I've seen, and it's not doing anything particularly weird with its style of fantasy, it's just pretty boilerplate. And it wants to do sitcom idiots, but also have a straightlaced overarching narrative adventure story? Did Groening really want to have a traditional adventure story, or does he just have no idea what else to do in a fantasy story?

I feel like the first trailer had a lot of dumb peasant jokes, which seems like a really bad way to start things out. Here's our world, most people in it suck in an uninteresting way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Disenchantment isn't actually *bad*, really. It's just not good. So it gets probably more crap than it deserves, because people are disappointed and wanted more out of it.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I’ve seen OG Futurama enough times to know that “Fry has a one-sided crush on Leela” is actually present in VERY few episodes of the original run. And when it is, it’s a big part of the plot and treats both characters with respect. In the majority of episodes, they are very much just platonic friends and it doesn’t even hint otherwise.

Elmo was just a creep and a terrible character to boot. Huge waste of Nat Faxson.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

MokBa posted:

Elmo was just a creep and a terrible character to boot. Huge waste of Nat Faxson.

Cannot be stressed enough,

Classy Devil posted:

It's unreal how this show managed to waste such a stacked cast.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Disenchantment isn't actually *bad*, really. It's just not good. So it gets probably more crap than it deserves, because people are disappointed and wanted more out of it.

Yeah, it's crushingly mediocre given everything that went in the pot and how us watching it can easily see how it could have been done better. It's neither a strong character-driven comedy nor is it a good vehicle for gags about fantasy stuff. It somehow ended up in-between, with characters that are ultimately muddled also never willing to fully commit to the setting for fear of it being to niche, when Futurama and even the Simpsons in their prime would throw out jokes knowing it would go over the heads of some in the audience. They aimed for the middle, and they hit lower. It's watchable, but not exciting. I watched like two seasons of it. I don't regret the time I spent but also I don't feel like watching more of it.

It could have been so much better.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I think Elfo being such a creep pushes it into the bad territory.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Disenchantment is loving terrible. The plot is bad, the jokes aren’t funny, the characters suck, the settings are stupid, I think the only thing you could say for it is it looks good from an animation perspective.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If you'd told me the only reason Disenchantment existed was some weird copyright thing to keep the animation software techniques they created for Futurama in Groening's hands, I'd believe you.

Like how Spinal Tap has to keep releasing albums every few years or else they can't keep the rights (and residuals) to the movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm enjoying the new Harley Quinn season. Feels like they've cleaned up the animation a lot since season 1 and 2. And I just realized Giancarlo Esposito is Lex Luthor, which is perfect casting.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Can I skip season 3 or so I just need to power through it?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm enjoying the new Harley Quinn season. Feels like they've cleaned up the animation a lot since season 1 and 2. And I just realized Giancarlo Esposito is Lex Luthor, which is perfect casting.

Season Three had by far the worst animation I've seen in what's ostensibly a decently budgeted adult animation show, let alone one that was produced for HBO Max (which it was, before the handover and change). I almost considered giving up tbh.

Warbird posted:

There's good stuff and arc stuff and sometimes there's both.

Watch what you want though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Season 3 felt like they were spinning the wheels after the first two seasons went hard on Harley and Ivy becoming better people for each other. It got better though especially the eps dealing with Batman/Bruce where Harley got to put her PHD to work.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The Valentine's Day Harley Quinn episode was really good and continued the tradition or Bane stealing every scene he is in.

I am a little upset that so far Bane and the woman he met during that special are not together anymore. I was hoping they would let him keep that win.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
In all the talk about bad animation, it's good to remember that Harley Quinn exists.

Four seasons of amazing content from a show I had absolutely zero expectations for. They made Harley, Ivy and even the goddamn Joker into interesting characters. Something I thought was impossible.

Hell, they even made the Bat Family fun.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah it was sometimes hard to watch season 3 of HQ because of how bad the animation was. It improved a lot this season

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'd like to know why it dropped like it did.

"Hey, we've got an unexpected hit on our hands. We're two seasons in and going strong."

"Better cut the budget, then."

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
honestly it’s amazing how the trailer of HQ made it seem like it was cringe as hell but its really one of the best animated shows ive seen. Like goddamn the work they did with Joker. At first i was annoyed they kept making Bats the butt of the joke but then its like oh… he is that actually damaged. The Harley/Bruce episode was really really sweet. Also Ivy/Harley having their own relationships ups and downs while a tad rough here and there did build up to something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"Hey, we've got an unexpected hit on our hands. We're two seasons in and going strong."

That happens a lot. The way plenty of shows are made today they're ordered as "two seasons" but it's a single production run for the animators with a lot of lead time as a result. A third season or third cour doesn't always get that same lead time or budget because they have to get it out for the release date.

Same happens in video games and movies. The need to keep to the release schedule for sequels means they rarely get the same development time as the first one.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I really like how Harley Quinn handles Clark Kent as a personality and performance such that it makes weird sense that nobody understands he's Superman. The voice, posture, and personality come together really well.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Continuing its trend of being anime as gently caress MAWS features what is straight up a Gurren Lagann robot in the most recent episode.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The animation for episode 4 of the current season seemed weirdly worse than the first three. Maybe I was just paying more attention to this one but it seemed off. The episode wasn't very good in general either, alas.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Chinston Wurchill posted:

The animation for episode 4 of the current season seemed weirdly worse than the first three. Maybe I was just paying more attention to this one but it seemed off. The episode wasn't very good in general either, alas.

Yeah but it gave us Musk and Zuckerberg getting killed in space which, frankly, I need more of on television.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Warbird posted:

I don't know if Season 3 would feel as bad if you're not stuck waiting week-to-week. The first few episodes are rough and too manic, but once you hit the Joker episode you're basically home free. Probably not worth skipping unless you're really not feeling it, in which case skim the episode summaries and skip to Episode 6 and see if that works for you.

Also I'm embarrassed to admit that the Clark Kent disguise worked on me, I missed the name drop and didn't catch that it was him until he tried to power up during the end of the episode.

The jokes this episode weren't as strong, but the sight gags were great and there was a lot of funny stuff in the background at the convention.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 5, 2023

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Warbird posted:

Continuing its trend of being anime as gently caress MAWS features what is straight up a Gurren Lagann robot in the most recent episode.

The gay French gorilla and gay German brain were unexpected but surprisingly charming

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I didn't like how quickly the drama between Clark and Lois got resolved. Seemed like it should have taken at least a few more episodes.

Still, wasn't a bad episode. Though I was surprised at the near complete lack of a sentient antagonist.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

The gay French gorilla and gay German brain were unexpected but surprisingly charming

yea that was cute. I like this show a lot

e: whoa there's a crossover between the Justice League and RWBY? I only know what that is because of the hbomberguy video but that's a big get for a youtube animation channel

Warbird
May 23, 2012

what

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Mantis42 posted:

e: whoa there's a crossover between the Justice League and RWBY? I only know what that is because of the hbomberguy video but that's a big get for a youtube animation channel

There are four.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

what's the deal with adventure time post season 5 or so, which i when i last watched it. i think i stopped somewhere in the gigantic 52 episode 5th season.

now i check and there are 10 seasons and possibly a bunch of offshoots/miniseries. was there a drop off in quality? does this all need to be watched in order?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The show does become slightly more serialized and actually explains a lot of its mysteries (mostly in satisfying ways) as it goes on.

The spinoffs are a gag show (Fiona and Cake) and a set of basically epilogue specials called Distant Lands.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I probably need to revisit Adventure Time now that I'm not twelve years old

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

WB is absolutely seeing what value they can get out of what is probably rooster teeth’s only property with any value

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

roomtone posted:

what's the deal with adventure time post season 5 or so, which i when i last watched it. i think i stopped somewhere in the gigantic 52 episode 5th season.

now i check and there are 10 seasons and possibly a bunch of offshoots/miniseries. was there a drop off in quality? does this all need to be watched in order?

I really love the progression Adventure Time takes throughout the show. It’s a huge tonal shift but I think it works well because the show decided to actually age with its audience. Granted, I was 21 when it came out, but I can imagine an eight year old loving it and then sticking with it until the end because it matured with them over a decade. It really gets into the nitty gritty of everything and has permanent plot developments. It lets itself get sad and weird and existential. And I think it does it gradually so it’s not super jarring. The biggest tonal shift is when Penn Ward stepped down and Adam Muto took over, but the former never totally left the show. (And if you’ve seen Midnight Gospel, you’d know Ward likes to get extremely existential himself.)

But no, I don’t consider AT to have a drop in quality at any point in its run. But plenty of people disagree.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seasons 4-7* of Adventure Time are imo the peak, especially 6, which is just a loving phenomenal season of television. It never has any kind of severe drop in quality, but after that I do feel like it doesn’t reach the same highs quite as consistently and towards the very end the story/lore progression does start to feel somewhat fanfic-y compared to before. Fantastic finale, though.

*Note that they bizarrely retroactively changed when the seasons began and ended for 7-9 for some reason, so originally “Preboot/Reboot” was the season 7 finale/8 premiere but now it’s season 8 eps 12-13

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Adventure Time definitely changes what it is over time, pretty severely, so it's natural for a lot of people who liked what it initially was to drift away from it. I feel like Adam Muto has a thing for emotionless inscrutability that I don't like, and the show kinda gets rigid and brittle as it shifts from being a zany world full of countless wonders to something with a fixed and limited cast.

Also the Finn gets a boner episodes still feel gross to me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

mutantIke posted:

I probably need to revisit Adventure Time now that I'm not twelve years old

And now that the episodes aren't being released in the stupidest possible manner.

The show made Steven Universe's release schedule look sensible.

Two great shows that I just ended up bouncing off of because of how erratic they were.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingofSprings posted:

WB is absolutely seeing what value they can get out of what is probably rooster teeth’s only property with any value

They've basically given up on Gen:Lock, haven't they? (Note, not blaming them. Yikes.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gen Lock season 2 was bad in a way where I'm certain that they were intentionally trying to kill the show.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

MokBa posted:

Yeah but it gave us Musk and Zuckerberg getting killed in space which, frankly, I need more of on television.

I'd prefer if we just didn't give them any attention at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

Gen Lock season 2 was bad in a way where I'm certain that they were intentionally trying to kill the show.

I have not looked into it too much but the main takeaways I heard was "the villain is trying to stop climate change" and "promotes suicide."