Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Technically not a car but variety is the spice of life

484L radial diesel engine

quote:

A 12-cylinder Nordberg diesel radial engine. This engine displaced 29,556 cu in (484.3 L) and produced around 2,000 hp (1,500 kW). Note the fuel injector in the center of the cylinder head.

The Nordberg radial offered several advantages over the stationary inline engines that were the current standard. With its cylinders horizontal, the Nordberg radial’s output shaft was in a vertical position. Although the engine was built primarily to generate power for the electrolytic reduction of aluminum, its arrangement was perfect for pumping applications. In addition, the configuration of the radial made it more compact and much lighter than a comparative inline engine. The Nordberg radial took up about half the space of an equally powerful inline engine and could be installed on a much lighter foundation.

The Nordberg radial was first introduced in 1947. The first engines were spark-ignition natural gas burning units that quickly established themselves as reliable and economical. These engines had two spark plugs located in the cylinder head. A single cam on the crankshaft actuated a gas valve for each cylinder. This gas valve allowed the natural gas into the incoming scavenging air for the cylinder.

Nordberg continued to develop the radial as its use spread to central power stations and various pumping applications, primarily for flood control and at sewage treatment plants. Nordberg soon developed a diesel version of the engine and a version that could run on a mixture of diesel and natural gas, which Nordberg dubbed Duafuel. The Duafuel engine could run on 100% diesel or as little as 5% diesel and 95% natural gas. This flexibility allowed the engine to operate with the most economical fuel mixture possible. In the diesel and Duafuel engines, the single cam now actuated a fuel pump for each cylinder, and the diesel fuel injector was in the center of the cylinder head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

This isn't really awesome AI car poo poo, but it is basically an extended mix How It's Made for forged wheels, which is awesome in its own right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5glBHADoug

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

This isn't really awesome AI car poo poo, but it is basically an extended mix How It's Made for forged wheels, which is awesome in its own right.

Similarly, tires to put on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK4IDPpjheA

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Continuing my obsession with little blobular objects tearing rear end on the Nürburgring, here's a Twingo doing its damndest to not run off the tarmac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1vU4aaD9rs

Is it me or is every driver passing it slowing down just to appreciate the little guy

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Hadlock posted:

NORDBERG!!!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Motherfucker!!

I was going to post: "well that thing ain't gonna get its nuts bit off by no laplander".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

They've really run that thing down market and picked through the FJ parts bin while they continue to trade on the brand name. Disappointing all around. I'll keep our 200.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Motronic posted:

They've really run that thing down market and picked through the FJ parts bin while they continue to trade on the brand name. Disappointing all around. I'll keep our 200.

:confused:

It's not a 200 replacement, it's a lower spec Lexus GX. A Prado for North America. I think it rules and it being less expensive is a win for everyone.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Finger Prince posted:

These were both excellent watches. For nerds.

like me

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I know you've been busy tugging those boostraps and all but it's nice that toyota recognizes vehicle costs getting out of hand and building a vehicle for the enthusiast market priced at enthusiast prices.

Imo it's the best looking cruiser since the 70. No 80, 100, or bloaty 200.
And the hood line isn't 6' off the ground. Win.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vehicle costs are getting out of hand! Surely the place to start is with our specialty off road NGO fleet and enthusiast line!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It's a little long for my tastes, but it looks really snappy, the interior looks like they couldn't decide what they wanted, but still good and high effort, and mid-$50k sounds really good for a brand new, hybrid electric, dedicated rough-road vehicle

What parts of it are actually bad? Like, that's what the vehicle should cost, are you upset that a company is not gouging enough on one of their more globally important platforms?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Motronic posted:

Vehicle costs are getting out of hand! Surely the place to start is with our specialty off road NGO fleet and enthusiast line!

I don't think you "get" Land Cruiser my guy.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

New Land Cruiser looks like it's an FJ wagon - i.e. designed to compete with the Wrangler unlimited 4 door, which is a big seller for jeep at the ~$40k+ point. I guess some people take the top off the jeep but if your reaction to "jeep culture" is :rolleyes: and or domestic brands are a bit too MAGA, or you want an off-road lifestyle vehicle you can drive from San Francisco to Tahoe comfortably, a $50-60k land cruiser probably fits a good segment

For example my wife wants to get a wrangler unlimited or similar rugged off-road looking thing, but also need something we can drive 4 hours each way to Tahoe at 75mph, and I want something with 5k lbs towing capacity

If Toyota sells a land cruiser with leather interior and third row seating for $20k less than the Lexus equivalent, we might just do that

Edit: I think the GX looks loads better though, the retro styling looks very 2014, looks like it should be parked next to a VW Beetle and FJ Cruiser from the same vintage

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 2, 2023

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Hadlock posted:

New Land Cruiser looks like it's an FJ wagon - i.e. designed to compete with the Wrangler unlimited 4 door, which is a big seller for jeep at the ~$40k+ point. I guess some people take the top off the jeep but if your reaction to "jeep culture" is :rolleyes: and or domestic brands are a bit too MAGA, or you want an off-road lifestyle vehicle you can drive from San Francisco to Tahoe comfortably, a $50-60k land cruiser probably fits a good segment

For example my wife wants to get a wrangler unlimited or similar rugged off-road looking thing, but also need something we can drive 4 hours each way to Tahoe at 75mph, and I want something with 5k lbs towing capacity

If Toyota sells a land cruiser with leather interior and third row seating for $20k less than the Lexus equivalent, we might just do that

There seems to be confusion on what 'Land Cruiser' is worldwide. Like yeah here in the USA we only got the comfort Cruisers, the family wagon oriented ones that corrupted themselves into a luxury-without-the-badge big boy. Cool and good, but the rest of the world, by and large, know this as THE Land Cruiser, the 70:

Unless you are in Australia then you get all the Land Cruisers including the 300, 70 and the Prados! The 40 series which turned into the 70 series which then became the Prado which itself became the small Cruiser which is even more popular than the big ones. This new US market Land Cruiser is a Prado, a smaller, more focused and less expensive but just as much loved Land Cruiser. I'd argue quite heavily that this Land Cruiser for the US is a return to its true form. They all come standard with rear difflock which wasn't a guarantee on any Cruiser before, even on the hardcore 70 series. If someone has a 200 series (I have a 200 series) and they wanted a replacement for it they do sell that here in the US: The Lexus LX. If you wanted a lesser Lexus, that's the new GX. If you want an even lesser version, now you get the new Land Cruiser. And I guess if you don't want 4WD you can get the presumably new 4Runner whenever they reveal that.

To your point though, the GX is what you are looking for. That is this new Cruiser but with a third row.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think the 70 series is still in production in Venezuela(?) or was until recently; in Colombia all the reputable contractors drive 70 series. Last time I was down there, was a cherry red one with a goregous varnished side panel flat bed thing, I'll have to dig up the photo.I spent probably more time than I should have looking into importing a ~98 model

It would be cool to see a technical truck cab land cruiser released in the US

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Edit: I think the GX looks loads better though, the retro styling looks very 2014, looks like it should be parked next to a VW Beetle and FJ Cruiser from the same vintage

The Jeep, or more closely, the Ford Bronco.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah Bronco is a good comparison. Wow 9 variants starting at $35k all the way up to $70k and then the top end model at $87k :eyepop:

Trim tier 6 is $47k which I guess most closely competes with the base LC. Locking f/r axles and 35" tires

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Hadlock posted:

I think the 70 series is still in production in Venezuela(?) or was until recently; in Colombia all the reputable contractors drive 70 series. Last time I was down there, was a cherry red one with a goregous varnished side panel flat bed thing, I'll have to dig up the photo.I spent probably more time than I should have looking into importing a ~98 model

It would be cool to see a technical truck cab land cruiser released in the US

The 70 is still manufactured (in Japan still afaik) and sold in Australia as well as all over the middle east. Part of the announcement for the new Cruiser was an update to the 70, now you can get it with a 4cy turbo diesel and an automatic. Afaik at least in Japan the 70 proper never got a 4cyl, only a 5 and 6 diesel. Maybe this is the first 70 with a 4cy, not sure. The 70 series Prado though always had a 4cyl turbo diesel.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 2, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does Toyota not sell the 70 series in the US due to crash regulations? Seems like with 50 years to pay down the tooling they could sell them here for $90k at at least 50% profit margins and people would be climbing over each other to buy them. Clearly Toyota knows how to put emissions compliant engines in them

People buy the g wagon after all

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Hadlock posted:

Does Toyota not sell the 70 series in the US due to crash regulations? Seems like with 50 years to pay down the tooling they could sell them here for $90k at at least 50% profit margins and people would be climbing over each other to buy them. Clearly Toyota knows how to put emissions compliant engines in them

The 70 series is sold in big numbers in Australia for farm use and mining/primary industry sites - many of them will never actually see a public road and even more will never see the Big Smoke starting at 67K AUD unless you are GST exempt which primary producers are so take 10% off and then also take off other taxes and fees not applicable to primary producers. The F150 got that market locked hard in the USA.

Shopping Center farmers /Suburban cockys get dual cab Hiluxes

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Not bad, nice that it's smaller, but dang, $50K starting. I'm probably out of touch on car pricing.
RWD turbo hybrid is neat.

KakerMix posted:

:confused:

It's not a 200 replacement, it's a lower spec Lexus GX. A Prado for North America. I think it rules and it being less expensive is a win for everyone.

:same:

Hadlock posted:

I don't find that to be a bad thing.
The current GX looks... I don't know, prissy? Hate all the lower body bits, and absolutely hate the protruding nose and gargantuan front gaping maw.

Fake edit: oh, poo poo, the 2024 GX doesn't look like any of that. It's basically the Land Cruiser Plus. Color me surprised. Front end is *way* more restrained than the '23.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah lexus finally realized boomers are no longer their only market segment, I guess

The old GX looks awful, I agree. I didn't even realize the old GX was RWD until I started looking in to them

Comparison

And then here is the 2024 US spec "prado" landcruiser vs the 2021 "global prado" land cruiser

Supposedly the US is getting a retro styled land cruiser, while the rest of the world is getting a "regular" front facia? maybe? too early to know for sure but I read that somewhere

us land cruiser in blue, and another comparison

old, lovely boomer GX for scale:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 2, 2023

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Hadlock posted:

The "G-Class" took a long time to get from utilitarian agricultural machine to high class fashion statement and while I think that could have been possible had Toyota did it in the same timeframe as Mercedes I don't think that is possible now. Plus, if they wanted to sell a stripper Cruiser built like the 70 here in the USA then that is also a decade past possibility. I have a first gen 70 Prado and I love it, but it sucks. I've imported a whole lot of them and other ~real~ 70s and sold them to other people that love them, but they still suck as a car. The place for people to buy something like that is in the 20-30k mark, where the people willing to spend that are willing to deal with an in-context uncomfortable, inefficient agricultural experience. If you go past that price the thing starts to become a real car you grade against other real, modern cars and then the value is out the window to have the Land Cruiser badge and the smugness to say "heh, 70 series" and thumb your nose at scrubs in Wranglers. I love to do that in the 25k range, but harder to do that if you spent more, especially if it was tarted up to a 90k price tag. That would be a betrayal of what the 70 series is, which is a technical, a tractor, an ambulance, a real, true rugged and dependable vehicle that's carried incalculable amounts of humanity since 1984. And in that context, the market probably doesn't exist in the USA enough for Toyota to pursue. I'd buy an Australian-spec 70 series right now, with that diesel V8 and manual transmission, even in right hand drive at the what looks to be like 50,000 USD converting from aussie moon monies. I'd maybe even 60,000 USD. A blue troopy or double-cab GXL, please :hmmyes:

Basically I think Toyota did this completely properly, the new Land Cruiser will sell in volume that will far surpass the 200 and before series Cruisers. There just aren't enough people that will spend luxury car money on something that doesn't scream "I SPENT 90K!!". Land Cruiser had by far the most people that would, but that really isn't the most lucrative market. Now the Cruiser is a bespoke off-road focused machine that is more capable than the old one in that realm and in the reach of far more people to actually use it for its purpose. I'm sure most will still be sold to the same people that buy the snorkeldork 4Runners and hard park at Trader Joes, but that's better than selling 2000 a year to idiots like me.

Darchangel posted:

Not bad, nice that it's smaller, but dang, $50K starting. I'm probably out of touch on car pricing.
RWD turbo hybrid is neat.

Hadlock posted:

The old GX looks awful, I agree. I didn't even realize the old GX was RWD until I started looking in to them

AWD :eng101:
The Lexus GX has always been the Land Cruiser Prado but with a V8, and there has never been a 2WD Cruiser which means there was never a RWD GX, always full-time AWD.

Hadlock posted:

And then here is the 2024 US spec "prado" landcruiser vs the 2021 "global prado" land cruiser

That's the new Land Cruiser on the left and the old US-spec J200 series on the right. They aren't comparable as the J200 series is a 'big' Cruiser and not the Prado (aka J150) at all. You'd have to compare the new Cruiser (J250) to the old Lexus GX (J150) if you wanted a similar type of vehicle comparison. It gets murky because of platform homogenization so now you do target market focus instead.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Good info, thanks

We rented a (murdered out :black101:) sequoia last week traveling, is that roughly the same platform/size as the new GX and Land Cruiser? And there's a pickup that also uses it I think. Trying to calibrate my driving experience. I've been in a luxobarge sedan the last four years

Edit: I guess they call it shadowline

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 2, 2023

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Hadlock posted:

Good info, thanks

We rented a (murdered out :black101:) sequoia last week traveling, is that roughly the same platform/size as the new GX and Land Cruiser? And there's a pickup that also uses it I think. Trying to calibrate my driving experience. I've been in a luxobarge sedan the last four years

Edit: I guess they call it shadowline

Sequoia has always been larger than any Land Cruiser, even the big boy J200 or even the current J300 in Lexus LX form. The pickup you're thinking of is the Toyota Tundra, of which the Sequoia is the SUV version of that. Your Sequoia is the hugest Toyota, a GX/Land Cruiser will be quite petite in comparison. If you're cool with how the Sequoia drove then you'll probably be quite pleased with the Lexus GX in size and peppiness. I think now they are the same platform but that's every manufacturer now. The Sequoia is more like a Suburban or Escalade analog.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I wish there was a plug-in-hybrid version of the Sienna

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Yeah lexus finally realized boomers are no longer their only market segment, I guess

Comparison

KakerMix posted:

To your point though, the GX is what you are looking for. That is this new Cruiser but with a third row.

Is there a wheelbase difference between the new GX and the new US-spec Land Cruiser for the third row, or is it just different interior parts?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

bennyfactor posted:

Is there a wheelbase difference between the new GX and the new US-spec Land Cruiser for the third row, or is it just different interior parts?

Identical wheelbase. People aren't joking about how the new Land Cruiser is a Prado or a down-market Lexus GX, that's literally what it is. A different body work, as you mention interior parts too. The rear cupholders are still in the new US Land Cruiser, presumably because those panels are used in the GX or non-US Prados which probably will still have the third row. The first look people talk about the high deck in the rear and can't seem to agree why. It makes sense to me that the batteries are back there, along with the solid axle and full-size spare. If it were me I'd just slap the spare on the back like a cool retro boy and drop the floor down. Maybe the non-hybrid versions sold elsewhere have a shorter floor making the third row better? idk.

The original Prados, if you got the 4 door versions, always had a third row like any good Land Cruiser

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm kind of curious if they will offer third row as an option. Might be testing the market to see how outraged people are about the last of third row seats as a cost cutting measure. As they pointed out it is a prototype, as as Kaker pointed out that hybrid battery has to go somewhere. We're definitely in the market for a 3rd row seat vehicle if possible

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The 70 series is sold in big numbers in Australia for farm use and mining/primary industry sites - many of them will never actually see a public road and even more will never see the Big Smoke starting at 67K AUD unless you are GST exempt which primary producers are so take 10% off and then also take off other taxes and fees not applicable to primary producers. The F150 got that market locked hard in the USA.

Shopping Center farmers /Suburban cockys get dual cab Hiluxes

Plenty of them still get sold as mall crawlers to the rural crowd, they're pretty common up here in Mackay with $20k of mods and being sold with no more than 15k KMs on the clock, never having seen anything more than a slightly potholed dirt road. The actual farmers here are the ones running the same one for half a million KMs.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
One of the few benefits of living in the Bay Area is you get see stuff like this used as a daily driver...

The interior was absolutely mint. So pretty.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Hadlock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5p7GIJ9fz0

Here is a video of one of that type of engines running. You know when it's started when the picture goes wobbly.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

This thing is insane. The footage looks sped up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZU3xHM9Lrg

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Finger Prince posted:

This thing is insane. The footage looks sped up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZU3xHM9Lrg

All electric with downforce fans like the 2J. Holy poo poo.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

One of the few benefits of living in the Bay Area is you get see stuff like this used as a daily driver...

The interior was absolutely mint. So pretty.

I considered just creating a C10 appreciation album after I saw a bunch of mint ones, and not so mint ones, here in Denver.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

LimaBiker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5p7GIJ9fz0

Here is a video of one of that type of engines running. You know when it's started when the picture goes wobbly.
What are those used for?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It’s turning the earth’s driveshaft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Data Graham posted:

It’s turning the earth’s driveshaft

(but really, power generation and pumping)