Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ithle01 posted:

Ah, that's what I was worried about. Going to put this on the backburner for a while. There's way too much dialogue in this game, it was honestly exhausting reading all of this and just smashing through the dialogue options.

Did you talk to the phasmid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

sebmojo posted:

Did you talk to the phasmid?

Yeah I talked to it. Told me that I was destroying the world by blinking (Good, I'm the Apocalypse Cop) and that I should leave my memories of my ex-wife behind (I told it I would try). Then I got Cuno to become a cop, although I never did figure out what was going on with that kid because I did the default stat build and turns out that having Suggestion, Empathy, and Authority at 1 sucks.

Also, gently caress that Precarious World idea, I think it burned me on like 3 skill checks I should have passed and only hit the jackpot on it once.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m just wondering: does the clothing that gives you ideology thoughts also increase the EXP gained when you choose the relevant dialogue options if equipped at the time, or nah?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Ithle01 posted:

I wish I'd noticed the activity in this thread a few days ago. I just binged my way through this game and racked up 50 hours of play time this week - it's my Summer vacation don't judge. Anyway, I finished it with some mixed opinions. There's definitely what I feel like is some of what I would call 'antagonistic GMing' and the end game felt like just slamming through waves of dialogue options that were almost totally irrelevant, but I did really enjoy the art and the politics stuff in it was well nuanced and kind of fun. In the end I went ultraliberal out of spite.

At the moment I'm not really interested in another play through, it feels like I spent 25 hours running around going nowhere looking for clues that didn't exist or weren't activated yet. So... can I actually go into catacombs or sewers or find the cocaine skull? Or is the game basically just what you find in one playthrough? I did what feels like most of the sidequests and I dug around the wiki abit and didn't see much that I missed. I've heard people say this game has a lot of replayability, but I'm not sure what that means beyond slightly different dialogue options.

It shouldn't take you 50 hours for one playthrough. I did 2 playthroughs in that time. That might be part of your issue.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

CJacobs posted:

I watched it and it was actually quite interesting! Here is a cliffs notes version:

- Recruit Kim and talk to Garte to receive your first instructions, ensure you haggle him to the minimum repayment
- Retrieve money from Joyce to pay for it
- Go to the library and read up on the entirety of THE MAN FROM HJELMDALL (takes 3 real life minutes of mashing, or 10% of the run)
- Doing this passes enough time to end Day 1 immediately
- Inspect the body to get the task, don't even compress your poo poo
- Pay Garte for the room damages
- Go to bed having accomplished a whole lot

- Pay Garte again for the room and board
- Immediately brush up on THE MAN FROM HJELMDALL again because it's such a classic
- Suddenly, the Hardies appear in the booth
- Prove Your Authority To Titus Hardie
- Grab the key in the booth and open the pinball workshop for evidence to present
- Speak to Klaasje
- Speak to Titus
- Speak to Klaasje
- Take a drat nap

- Ignore your completely exhausted partner Kim in the morning Talk to Titus instead for Ruby's location
- Fix the water lock
- Ask the Washerwoman for the key to the shack
- Examine the FELD mural with kung-fu master Trant Heidelstam for clues on ruby (silently)
- Confront Ruby- the fastest outcome is thankfully not allowing her to self-terminate
- At the Tribunal, Harry does not have his gun and so Kim takes the shot
- Sleep off your failure
- In a bad mood, tell Cuno to get lost and limp your sorry loving way to the island with no other dialogue for the whole game
- The Deserter lays down his gun
- Encounter the Insulindian Phasmid
- Unbelievably, this assembles just enough evidence to have solved the case and Judit saves your job. Harry gets to return to the precinct.

So, in total that's 11 non-cutscene-event conversations and one lone silent interaction to gain clues.

It's seriously awesome how much of the game is optional to even interact with, there are a hundred different ways to reach these specific bullet points. Hardly any two players will do it the same way.

Sit on my Jace posted:

Oh hey I'm a speedrunner resource! I did the first (and slowest) speedrun of the Any% run that utilizes the stat glitch, so the initial routing of the run was substantially my work (with improvements by later runners, also they played the game better). CJacobs's rundown is a pretty comprehensive rundown of the game's critical path, although there's some stuff you can do in different (and slower) ways to fulfil the same set of requirements, like linking the Hardie Boys to the murder through the footprints or through talking to Evrart, or paying for the room by pawning Kim's hubcaps or through talking to Evrart.

One point of interest I'd like to draw attention to is the stat glitch at the beginning of the run (which, sadly, was patched out with the Jamais Vu update). Using a controller, you can exit directly to the main menu during character creation instead of backing out normally. This puts the game in a state where the next time you go into character creation, it'll pick a random debug mode statline, one of which has 6 in every stat and every skill maxed out for a total of 12 in every skill. Since it's only a 1 in 10 chance of getting this statline every time you attempt the glitch, it's not included in the speedrun timing.

There's one other reason to have a controller plugged in, which was discovered by Punchy: If you use a hairband to hold down the analog stick, it'll scroll dialogue off the screen at maximum speed, which prevents lag during long dialogue segments like looping through The Man From Hjelmdall to pass time.

Final Cut actually patched THE MAN FROM HJEMDALL time skip. You can do it with the Greatest Innocence book still but you can't just mash through that

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

goblin week posted:

Final Cut actually patched THE MAN FROM HJEMDALL time skip. You can do it with the Greatest Innocence book still but you can't just mash through that

FWIW I always preferred to loop through the first half of The Man from Hjelmdall and the Devil Woman, which seemed to work fine in The Final Cut.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Ithle01 posted:

Ah, that's what I was worried about. Going to put this on the backburner for a while. There's way too much dialogue in this game, it was honestly exhausting reading all of this and just smashing through the dialogue options.
I disagree. There's too little dialogue in this game. :colbert:

I just clicked on a YouTube video about making repeated random phone calls and holy poo poo :smith: I thought it would be just goofy easter eggs, not one of the most heart breaking things in the game.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I disagree. There's too little dialogue in this game. :colbert:

I just clicked on a YouTube video about making repeated random phone calls and holy poo poo :smith: I thought it would be just goofy easter eggs, not one of the most heart breaking things in the game.

I stumbled upon this organically. The way my heart sank was just like … goddamn you, game.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

gently caress that phone call is heavy. The moment when Harry starts dialing longer and longer numbers you know something's up, and then.... she picks up.

On my current playthrough I was focused on getting the Molotov cocktail and letting Kim get injured in the Tribunal since I hadn't seen those yet. This is the same one where I discovered you could gently caress up with Cuno so bad that he stops talking to you altogether.

Missed the throw with the cocktail, which was a wonderful anticlimax, laid there after getting shot and watched Kim get hit, which was gut wrenching, and woke up to Cuno helping me out! I'm glad pissing him off earlier doesn't block this option.

And then, after getting sober the whole game, I hobbled over to the church and did every drug available. Seemed appropriate.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

And now, as a companion piece to all Half Light dialogue, we have Volition having your back

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Ithle01 posted:

Yeah, the extremely character-driven narrative rpg that's universally recognized as one of the best ever made does have a lot of dialogue. hosed up that they'd put all that writing in the way of ...? What else were you expecting

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's funny the different reasons people have for not liking games. I'm pretty sure my wife would appreciate the story of DE, but every RPG she plays she gets annoyed / upset if the choices she makes don't pan out how she wanted. I love her, but there is absolutely no way she'd be ok with failing checks 'just to see what happens,' which seems to generally be one of the things fans love most about the game.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

search engine posted:

Yeah, the extremely character-driven narrative rpg that's universally recognized as one of the best ever made does have a lot of dialogue. hosed up that they'd put all that writing in the way of ...? What else were you expecting

Disco Elysium but it's a Rare collectathon and all the dialogue is replaced by honking noises

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Disco Elysium but with animal crossing babble is probably the worst mod I can imagine. It would probably do real psychological damage playing it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God, Sacred and Terrible Air goes PLACES. Chapter 15 was brutal.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Samovar posted:

And now, as a companion piece to all Half Light dialogue, we have Volition having your back

I love this but having the semen retention society line in the first 30 seconds is, uh, a choice. Especially out of context. The rest is great

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Motivation is stored in the balls.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished Sacred and Terrible Air. It was very good and absorbing, if quite miserable. I’d say anyone who really enjoyed the ideological debate side of DE should check it out, especially wrt communism and nihilism, and there’s also a lot about the Pale and impending entroponetic collapse, as well as a lot of really fascinating characters and evocative prose.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

is there a proper version now because I have no idea which is which

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I read the Ibex Group one and I would definitely recommend it: https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/13e4tle/sacred_and_terrible_air_p%FCha_ja_%F5udne_l%F5hn_full/

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I also read the ibex group one and it seemed good enough to me. that link doesn't work for me but this one does https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pnxBQBcfDAWv48pmA8cP4MpxFsqXWH93/view

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Thanks!

I'm on "Linoleum Salesman" and the cspam-disco connection went full tilt with kurvitz doing an epstein thread some good years before the thread itself lol

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Finished it; well, six years of additional practice, a writing team and maturity/life improvement are very noticeable from Sacred and Terrible Air to Disco Elysium haha

Some initial thoughts on it: the very first thing that comes to mind is that playing the game first would be a requirement to have a decent read and a fair appraisal. I think it is a loving difficult sell to anyone coming at it blind, especially because it already has a harder narrative to follow with simultaneous different times and places, with pretty hard swerves ("twenty years ago" for a couple of paragraphs then forward then back etc). It's a stylistic choice that can be considered rather appropriate with some reflection, but only with some awareness of the setting: the Pale fucks up time and memory, the world is collapsing against it, so having that narrative flow and structure can be a way to the reader to feel that confusion too

But without any knowledge of Elysium, well, poo poo. There's the plot in a very strange world that is collapsing against a very weird phenomenon and what are these countries and this history and whoa ideology okay and what the hell, people are dropping nuclear bombs? Worldbuilding presented through the zig-zags in memory and time from the plot and also through commentary, as Kurvitz seems to be working towards his statement but suffers a lot from trying to do much in one single shot. There's a lot of nihilism (of a very personal kind) being taken to battle here; imo without playing Disco it would be very easy to disregard the positives as insincere, since there's only outlines of the affirmations that the game would make much later

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah? Any news on my wife's name?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Does anyone remember what conversation you get the "Are women bourgeois?" line? I'm trying to find it in a different language, so I need to look up a Youtube LP in that language and I don't remember what to search for.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
It's the failure of one of the big checks at the end of the communist vision quest. Rhetoric, I think?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Yeah its the rhetoric check when finally asking the communists about communism.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

I’ve spent most of August away from anything that can run Baldur’s Gate 3, but laptop could handle Disco Elysium, so FOMO compelled me to dive into it in after an abortive attempt to play it a year ago. Just finished it. Trying to decompress the experience honestly seems impossible right now, but Kim’s assessment of my character in the final conversation was one of the most impactful moments of any game I’ve ever played. After spending the entire game as an imperfect cop and an imperfect person constantly failing in an imperfect world, having a character I had slowly earned the trust and respect of deliver a vigorous and honest defense of my actions was an incredibly impactful experience. I’m a min-maxer who only plays games once and always feels compelled to know the optimal path; I can honestly say this is the first game I’ve ever played where I never felt compelled to look anything up because I always trusted the game would give me an experience true to my choices. Absolutely amazing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Probably the most impactful moment for me was asking Kim if he could see the phasmid, because there was just something about that moment that felt like "If he says no, Harry's lost it. Like properly, fully insane lost it."

And again, the fact that by that point, Kim is the person you trust the most, and you're kind of doing the acid test to see if he trusts you as well.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Probably the most impactful moment for me was asking Kim if he could see the phasmid, because there was just something about that moment that felt like "If he says no, Harry's lost it. Like properly, fully insane lost it."

And again, the fact that by that point, Kim is the person you trust the most, and you're kind of doing the acid test to see if he trusts you as well.

Oh absolutely. I never in a million years would have expected that side quest to pay off the way it did. It really changed my approach to the conversation. My first couple of reactions assumed it was some sort of fantasy, and then I checked in with him and the actual weight of the moment hit me like a brick wall. Once again totally rooted in your existing relationship with him.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
I’ve been chewing on the game for a couple of weeks myself now, and I came away with a different impression; the final plot beat, with your department &/or Kim/Cuno essentially grading your behavior in a very transparently game-y way, just feels like it’s too many anticlimactic swerves for me. I can stomach a secret phasmid-hosed culprit and the cosmically banal resolution to Dora Dei, but I feel like the story needed a better stinger.

The obvious candidate is Klaasje, after you contrive a reason for your precinct and Kim to leave you alone. One last talk with the game’s leading noir lady seems like a more effective note for the credits to roll on, for me, anyway. Not a big conversation or anything, but something a little more thematically resonant than a pretty straightforward buddy cop ending.

All that said, they do a good job with the ending as it’s constructed; I liked what they did with it. Just feels more like Xenogears disc 2 rather than something they did on purpose, which would make sense for a new studio even if we didn’t know it was hell to develop. It has the vibe of an ambitious story that ran out of gas too soon, and given that the evil child-murdering gas men have seemingly hosed up all future development, it’s all we got for the foreseeable future.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Probably the most impactful moment for me was asking Kim if he could see the phasmid

That got me too. It’s a moment that’s weirdly reminiscent of the shark scene at the end of The Life Aquatic, if that makes sense, and the line you highlight is just as effective as Steve Zissou’s “I wonder if it remembers me.”

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Talking to Klassje again would be a weird one.

The game's not really about the case, it's about Harry's personal struggle with himself. The final conversation is all about him and how/if he's shown a desire and an ability to get better. Kim knows all of that; Klassje doesn't, and has either absconded or been arrested.

It would be sort of neat to be able to tell her that Lely was killed by an eighty year old communist partisan who'd been driven mad by prolonged exposure to the Insulindian phasmid, but her predictably dry response isn't really something to end the game on imo.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

motherbox posted:

I’ve spent most of August away from anything that can run Baldur’s Gate 3, but laptop could handle Disco Elysium, so FOMO compelled me to dive into it in after an abortive attempt to play it a year ago. Just finished it. Trying to decompress the experience honestly seems impossible right now, but Kim’s assessment of my character in the final conversation was one of the most impactful moments of any game I’ve ever played. After spending the entire game as an imperfect cop and an imperfect person constantly failing in an imperfect world, having a character I had slowly earned the trust and respect of deliver a vigorous and honest defense of my actions was an incredibly impactful experience.

I absolutely agree. Struggling through the game as this tragicomic depressed recovering alcoholic fuckup amnesiac who's nevertheless doing his best, and squaring your shoulders to the reckoning you know is coming only to have Kim surprise you by stepping up like that, is a loving incredibly powerful moment the first time you experience it. I had a lump in my throat :shobon:

I feel that having Kim reassure/comfort you after telling the woman about her husband's death is another extremely strong beat. It's a massive downer, but at the same time, it's a validation that you really badly need at that particular moment.

And then there's recruiting Kim. That's a real feel-good moment right there! God this game is so loving good

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 31, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The real win condition is getting to the shootout and getting the "Kim trusts you" and "The lieutenant *truly* trusts you" modifiers for the warning check. Everything after that is just a denouement, really.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I think the "random" phone dialing was the first scene that really got me. Not just that I thought was well written and interesting but really made me go oh god. Oh Harry. :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Perfectly willing to admit I'm a big softie and from a family stuffed with alcoholics and so I could barely play the game at first, and now it's one of my favorites I've ever dared to try.

edit: I saw so many well-realized people in Harry that it made me a little sick steering him around, is all. It took me a while to find humor in the idea that his state is recoverable, I was so focused on beginning the process.

quote:

KIM KITSURAGI - "And there's still much to do at the crime scene too. We didn't search it thoroughly enough."

EMPATHY - He would have put all of this more harshly, but he doesn't want you to feel completely discouraged. Probably because he's afraid that you'll just give up and keep drinking...

YOU - "I'm sorry I couldn't do more today. I'm just not a very good cop, am I."

KIM KITSURAGI - He sighs. "We're both doing our best under the circumstances. Just... don't drink tonight, please. As for the interviews..."

This exchange was so brutal to read that I averted from asking Harry to apologize for things unless he'd literally just performed a faux pas in front of others. I've been Kim, there. He could feel Harry's spiral coming if he said one more negative thing about the crime scene and so changed the subject. The hairs on the back of your neck stand up when you're about to cross that line with someone who drinks.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 31, 2023

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Harry's self consciousness is what made me fall in love with him.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think the first moment I realised 'oh this isn't just a silly little game, is it?' was managing to get the sliding drawer on the folder open, and the culmination of that line with The Dream. You get a bunch of your internal processes telling you not to do it, but I remembered the line about an ex from the intro and also at that point was still thinking "gently caress you I'm Raphael Ambrosious Cousteau, I do what I want."

Just the way she talks about him, the postcard about leaving for work every day, and then the conversation in the dream where Harry is like "But I did everything right this time" and her reply is something like "I know, we're just different people, and who I am now doesn't love who you are now." It's absolutely heartbreaking.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

She really doesn't love him. Even as a player, I just can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Angry Diplomat posted:

I feel that having Kim reassure/comfort you after telling the woman about her husband's death is another extremely strong beat. It's a massive downer, but at the same time, it's a validation that you really badly need at that particular moment.

I love this sidequest so much, because the game regularly mixes absurdity and humor in with a lot of its storytelling, and this entire sequence is played completely straight once you discover the body and it hurts because of how bleak it is. On my last playthrough I discovered you can hug the widow at the bookshop when you meet her on day one and she actually responds positively if you tell her the communist response, and it made the ending to her storyline even sadder.