Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
You Only Yeet Once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Happy Landfill posted:

I had Encarta for Windows 98. Dad got a computer for work so no games allowed (although he quickly broke that rule on his own) so I'd spend hours on Encarta just loving around

My dad had the same rule, but broke it himself for Redneck Rampage 🫤

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Creature posted:

My dad had the same rule, but broke it himself for Redneck Rampage 🫤

For my Dad it was Microsoft Flight Simulator, with the cool joystick and everything

dads rock

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My dad's was some golf game that had FMV. He didn't even like golf.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

We started with Links but nobody gave a rat’s rear end about golf. So we got shareware stuff like Cosmo’s Cosmic Quest and Commander Keen, and then eventually Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM; the latter of which ran like poo poo on our slow-rear end machine, like 2 FPS so it was impossible to get anywhere without using cheats. When I wanted to upgrade to a PSX in the mid ‘90s my dad asked why I didn’t just play games on a much more capable PC, but our PC was about as capable with modern games as my SNES was. Hell, the SNES port of Wolfenstein probably ran better than our PC could run it.

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

root beer posted:

We started with Links but nobody gave a rat’s rear end about golf. So we got shareware stuff like Cosmo’s Cosmic Quest and Commander Keen, and then eventually Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM; the latter of which ran like poo poo on our slow-rear end machine, like 2 FPS so it was impossible to get anywhere without using cheats. When I wanted to upgrade to a PSX in the mid ‘90s my dad asked why I didn’t just play games on a much more capable PC, but our PC was about as capable with modern games as my SNES was. Hell, the SNES port of Wolfenstein probably ran better than our PC could run it.

Um, it's Cosmo's Comic ADVENTURE, thank you. Also, the theme song was just a soundblaster cover of Tush by ZZ Top.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I remember being like 3 and my dad sitting me on his lap in front of the computer while he played the hot new release Doom II

This explains most things about me

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

SacrificialGoat posted:

Um, it's Cosmo's Comic ADVENTURE, thank you.

Haha oops

quote:

Also, the theme song was just a soundblaster cover of Tush by ZZ Top.

Wait, what?!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Man, I HATED Eureka's castle. In fact, all of Nick, Jr.

By the time Nick, Jr. started (I guess like 89) I was already too old for it. It was definitely for like 3-6 year-olds at most, even that might be pushing it.

I get that Nick, Jr. would air during the day when older kids were at school (hence the cut-off really being like 5, since by then you're in kindergarten) but what really made me mad as a kid, is that EVEN IN SUMMER it was airing in the middle of the day!

gently caress you, Nickelodeon! You know all kids are on summer break, so put the fuckin Looney Tunes on during the day, God-damnit! In the summer, before I was old enough to really watch ant MTV or Comedy Central, the hours of noon to three during summers felt FOREVER. At least in the mornings I had poo poo like The Price is Right (why we all loved that as ten year-olds, I don't know), Supermarket Sweep (again...why I loved it, idk) and other game shows... but then once noon hit, the broadcast networks all switched to soap operas. I was too young to really enjoy the vast majority of any other cable channels, and there was only so much Nintendo I could take. Nickelodeon SHOULD have been my refuge, but that God-drat fuckin' Face screwed me every time.

Pages late but this is bringing back a hatred I had long forgotten. gently caress, I hated that poo poo.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Beefaroni Mysterio from the felix the cat movie.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Killingyouguy! posted:

I remember being like 3 and my dad sitting me on his lap in front of the computer while he played the hot new release Doom II

This explains most things about me

That you're awesome?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Pages late but this is bringing back a hatred I had long forgotten. gently caress, I hated that poo poo.

I just went outside or played video games :shrug:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Vandar posted:

What was the last big summer jam/song? Last one I can remember was...Get Lucky? Surely there was another after that?

"Good 4 U" was big enough it showed up on my aging, Archers of Loaf listening radar.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmMQfTJ3gYk

Who else had to learn how to dance to this song in elementary and/or middle school P.E?

Oh yea, I hated those PE days. I just want to play kickball or dodgeball, why are we trying to dance?
PE teacher also played Cotton Eye Joe as well to learn some dance to.

The Jock Jam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TLO4FvxCQ0

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

I had one of these and I got pretty drat good.

It then got sold in a yard sale in like 1993.

It was novel for 10 minutes and then sucked.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

When you can’t get the Looney Tunes license but already sunk your life savings into the product’s development.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Digital Jedi posted:

Oh yea, I hated those PE days. I just want to play kickball or dodgeball, why are we trying to dance?
PE teacher also played Cotton Eye Joe as well to learn some dance to.

The Jock Jam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TLO4FvxCQ0

Electric Slide was one of those songs that were really popular among kids in school with me, but i watched much music and never saw it on there, so i was confused that people could know about a song that wasn't out there.

That song makes my brain hurt and I find it weird in the US a lot of Eurodance stuff became stuff you'd hear at a basketball game. Also wasn't it WOOP There it is?
Yup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffCEr327W44

I think one of the first times i bought an tape and realize "wait every other song on this suuuuuuuucks" was this bands first release
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez3iGG51MiA
So i just listened to that one song over and over, Good thing it was the first song on the tape.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

dialhforhero posted:

I just went outside or played video games :shrug:

I didn't live an area that was great for playing outside, and the same 3-4 genesis/snes games got old quick.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

This one hit me in the dick.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

when the devil calls your name

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

twistedmentat posted:

That song makes my brain hurt and I find it weird in the US a lot of Eurodance stuff became stuff you'd hear at a basketball game. Also wasn't it WOOP There it is?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffCEr327W44

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

An unrelated song called "Whoot, There It Is" also released around the same time to ensure nobody would ever get either song's title right.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Whoop whoop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po9F7yqxe5A

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juMKEgp2u7o

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I honestly did not know much about No Doubt before watching this, and i noticed that in the last few years people have kind of turned on their earlier catalog, acting like they were a manufacture band designed to exploit the youth market because the powers that be decided Ska with a pretty girl that said gently caress was what was going to be in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU55DV6uzB0

Its kind of amazing when Tragic Kingdom hit and it was almost like Nevermind in how quickly it was just everywhere and people loved it. I remembered the first day of grade 13 (there's another 90s thing, grade 13 in Ontario where they actually taught you how University worked and how to write proper essays and such, gone) at least 4 other students had that devil horn hair style. None of them ever had it again because i am going to assume it requires a ton of product to maintain and that wasn't something you did on a daily basis.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

twistedmentat posted:

Its kind of amazing when Tragic Kingdom hit and it was almost like Nevermind in how quickly it was just everywhere and people loved it. I remembered the first day of grade 13 (there's another 90s thing, grade 13 in Ontario where they actually taught you how University worked and how to write proper essays and such, gone) at least 4 other students had that devil horn hair style. None of them ever had it again because i am going to assume it requires a ton of product to maintain and that wasn't something you did on a daily basis.

The product is usually elmer's glue but it's more that it takes forever to build up and then you gotta sleep on your face.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
People turned on Gwen Stefani, iirc, not No Doubt.

Her…artistic choices and solo career were, uh, not the best.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tragic Kingdom is just all bangers :colbert:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
It's Cool to hate Ska, just like it's cool to still hate Disco.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Len posted:

Tragic Kingdom is just all bangers :colbert:

Goddamn right. :colbert:

Croccers posted:

It's Cool to hate Ska, just like it's cool to still hate Disco.

I watched the movie Renfield recently and a good portion of the early third of the movie is dedicated to just hating on Ska over and over.

gently caress you guys! Only Ska fans are allowed to poo poo on Ska!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/JojW27e.gifv

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I thought this was also a Ska meme and was really confused.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

'90s logos were far better than the ones now. :okboomer:

waffy
Oct 31, 2010
I may be completely oblivious since I don’t use vending machines much, but I can’t remember the last time I saw that style of can-dispensing soda machine. Now it’s always the clear-front ones and loaded with bottles, and the only cans being energy drinks if they’re in there. It never dawned on me until now (but again I could be oblivious and dumb).

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

twistedmentat posted:

I honestly did not know much about No Doubt before watching this, and i noticed that in the last few years people have kind of turned on their earlier catalog, acting like they were a manufacture band designed to exploit the youth market because the powers that be decided Ska with a pretty girl that said gently caress was what was going to be in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU55DV6uzB0

People are turning on No Doubt? :confused: Never was a fan of Stefani's turn as a pop singer which feels weird because she's probably more well known now as being a solo act than she was as being in No Doubt. Which is a shame

edit: this is an awesome video! I've actually never really heard No Doubt's really early stuff so this is real cool :shobon:

Happy Landfill has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Aug 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

dialhforhero posted:

People turned on Gwen Stefani, iirc, not No Doubt.

Her…artistic choices and solo career were, uh, not the best.

Yea that I can totally see. Didn't she marry some Bro Country dude? I remember seeing her on the cover of people at work with one if those generic white guys with "faith and family" captions.

But yea Tragic Kingdom bangs.